Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" originalSuper protein bars (Dec 25, 2010)

On 1/22/2011 11:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have eaten "best by" things that were past their date. Some seemed to
> taste fine. Others, like chips, did not. I just ate sourdough bread that
> expired on the 18th. It wasn't moldy but was a bit dried out. Would have
> been fine for toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. But it was kind of
> crumbly for my turkey sandwich.
>
> I have bought the kind of cheese that was cut from a big wheel. It tends to
> go moldy if much past the "sell by" date. I used to buy a flaxseed bread
> that I could never eat all of before it expired. It was always moldy by the
> "sell by" date and often moldy three days before! I quit buying it.
>
> Would I take expired food if someone gave it to me because it was free?
> Nope. But I have seen people who would. Example, some kind of potato chips
> at my daughter's dance studio. They could not sell them because they were
> expired but employees there were eating them and they were also offered to
> me.
>
> When I did eat the expired chips, I didn't realize they were expired until I
> tasted them. They were not very crisp and had a dull flavor.

Bread is completely different. I don't think bread left out even in a
bread box storing system is good for keeping it more than a day. I
freeze bread as soon as I get it home and thaw as needed.

Cheese also is a food I don't leave for long. I vacuum seal portions
and cut them open to use, then seal again.

The only foods I'm referring to that are past their "best by" date are
canned foods, or prepared foods. I admit to using Hamburger Helper on
occasion, and I made one up from a box that was "expired" and in that
case, it wasn't consumable. It was horrible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original...

So is throwing expired food into the dumpster OK? And then the poor
souls can dive in and it will make you feel better because you didnt
hand it to them? C'mon...... use your head..... Most of those dates
are used by manufacturers and store people for rotational purposes only.
So the fresh goes to the back and the older goes to the front. Wake
up!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Bread is completely different. I don't think bread left out even in a
> bread box storing system is good for keeping it more than a day. I freeze
> bread as soon as I get it home and thaw as needed.

I can't stand bread after it has been frozen. It's okay for toast but I
don't like it otherwise. We ate so little bread when I was a kid that any
we did have, went into the freezer.

The bread I buy now (for myself) keeps for nearly a week. Of course I have
to time it right and buy it when it's really fresh. Sometimes I come close
to eating the whole loaf. If husband is home then it's not a problem.
Would be nice if I could buy half a loaf somewhere.

> Cheese also is a food I don't leave for long. I vacuum seal portions and
> cut them open to use, then seal again.

Cheese usually doesn't last for long in this house. I do have problems
sometimes with shredded cheese that I buy for my husband. He tends not to
notice the partial bag and will open a new one. Then one day I will pull
out the cheese to use it and it is moldy.

> The only foods I'm referring to that are past their "best by" date are
> canned foods, or prepared foods. I admit to using Hamburger Helper on
> occasion, and I made one up from a box that was "expired" and in that
> case, it wasn't consumable. It was horrible.

I just found some meat in the freezer that expired in 2006! I didn't even
think I had that freezer that long ago. I tossed those and also some Kettle
Cuisine, gluten free chicken and noodle soup. The soup itself is just okay
but the chicken is rubbery. I bought a bunch of it when I found it because
I had been told it was good. Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Does honey have a sell-by or expiration date on it? Honey does not
spoil. Neither does scotch or bourbon.
..
Sal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
> > wrote:

> >From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual food
> >drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
> >all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat.

I agree, Sheldon, but Somebody's Rules is Somebody's Rules. I wouldn't
be the least bit surprised if Somebody Ruled out food with a past expiry
out of fear of a possible lawsuit.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
> > > wrote:

> >>From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual
> >>food
> >>drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
> >>all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

> > What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
> > food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
> > exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat. No one could
> > possibly tell that a bottle of ketchup was past it's "best used by"
> > date... even Stan couln't say. I have eaten canned beets way past
> > their best-used-by date, perfectly wholesome. I don't think anyone is
> > donating a raw cod fish caught last week and kept in the trunk of
> > their car in 90º weather... big difference from a can of Bumble Bee
> > tuna past its best-used-by date. This morning I opened a can of
> > Carnation Evap, on the bottom of the can it says "Best Used By
> > 07/17/2011". Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . I'll bet it would
> > still be good by 07/17/2111. ****in' idiots!
> >
> > Folks are getting carried away with this use-by nonsense... won't be
> > long they'll print best used by on a box of salt, like salt is gonna
> > spoil, it's only been here since this planet was created.

> I have eaten "best by" things that were past their date. Some seemed to
> taste fine. Others, like chips, did not. I just ate sourdough bread that
> expired on the 18th. It wasn't moldy but was a bit dried out. Would have
> been fine for toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. But it was kind of
> crumbly for my turkey sandwich.
>
> I have bought the kind of cheese that was cut from a big wheel. It tends to
> go moldy if much past the "sell by" date. I used to buy a flaxseed bread
> that I could never eat all of before it expired. It was always moldy by the
> "sell by" date and often moldy three days before! I quit buying it.
>
> Would I take expired food if someone gave it to me because it was free?
> Nope.

Categorically? Why not?

> When I did eat the expired chips, I didn't realize they were expired until I
> tasted them. They were not very crisp and had a dull flavor.

Sometimes a couple minutes in a hot oven will crisp them up.

--
Barb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:44:14 -0500, "dejablues"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
>> > wrote:

>>>From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual
>>>food
>>>drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
>>>all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

>> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat. No one could
>> possibly tell that a bottle of ketchup was past it's "best used by"
>> date... even Stan couln't say. I have eaten canned beets way past
>> their best-used-by date, perfectly wholesome. I don't think anyone is
>> donating a raw cod fish caught last week and kept in the trunk of
>> their car in 90º weather... big difference from a can of Bumble Bee
>> tuna past its best-used-by date. This morning I opened a can of
>> Carnation Evap, on the bottom of the can it says "Best Used By
>> 07/17/2011". Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . I'll bet it would
>> still be good by 07/17/2111. ****in' idiots!
>>
>> Folks are getting carried away with this use-by nonsense... won't be
>> long they'll print best used by on a box of salt, like salt is gonna
>> spoil, it's only been here since this planet was created.

>Food banks are not allowed to give out expired foods. If you would not eat
>it, do not donate it.

I eat foods past their "best-by"/"sell-by" date all the time. I have
a freezer full of meats (and other foods-baked goods) that are all
past their sell-by date, most by several months. I have foods in my
freezer I cooked more than a year ago, no use-by dates. I freeze
fresh veggies from my garden, not cooked at all, not even blanched,
just used a bag of green beans was harvested in 2008, as good as any
Birdeye just bought. I buy many canned/jarred goods by the case, most
get eaten after their best-by date... if the safety seal on a jar is
not popped it's perfectly wholesome regardless the use-by date.
Nothing prevents food banks from dispensing items past their use-by
date other than that they are ****in' idiots, don't possess an ounce
of common sense... no one ever got sick from eating pasta past its
best-used-by date, whether eaten raw or boiled to death. I must have
fifty pounds of variously shaped pasta in my pantry, most well past
their best-used-by date... I eat them all the time without ever
considering those dates... there's only one kind of date I examine
carefully before eating, and I don't care how long past their best-by
date... I bet you're well past your prime but still have a few more
good miles left... how'd you like it if you were told you're no longer
allowed? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:05:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
>> > wrote:

>> >From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual food
>> >drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
>> >all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

>> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat.

>I agree, Sheldon, but Somebody's Rules is Somebody's Rules. I wouldn't
>be the least bit surprised if Somebody Ruled out food with a past expiry
>out of fear of a possible lawsuit.

Far more likely the rule makers want the freshest possible when they
fill their own pantry. Humans are greedy and dishonest... the only
charity I donate to is food for animals, and not cash, only food...
animals only take what they need, they have no pockets, and they never
lie. Where I live there's a network of private citizens who live on
agri land so they have the space to take in all sorts of rescue
animals. The local vets donate their services gratis, so mostly all
that's needed is food, litter, bedding, bowls, troughs, and tack for
horses. Many of the local women who knit/crochet/quilt supply little
blankies/toys for cats and dogs. The network moves animals from one
property to another depending on resources needed. The main thrust is
to make the animals healthy and find them suitable homes. I would
never donate to so-called poor folk, let the lazy S O Bs get J O Bs.
And there are plenty of grubbermint agencies that care for them with
taxpayer's money anyway. When I donate a hundred pounds of generic
cat chow it all gets fed to homeless cats, none finds its way to some
administrator's pantry like the items you donate. If some bowry wino
begged me for money to eat I'd offer to buy him a ham sandwich but I'd
never give him money, he'd use it to buy cheap muscatel. Where I
lived previously there were quite a few homeless people who lived out
of stupidmarket shopping carts, a few actually had pets (cats & dogs).
They took very good care of their animals. One old crone in
particular walked by my house every morning with her two cats in her
cart and stopped to help herself to the two cans of cat food I'd leave
in my mailbox.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:07:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"

>> > What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> > food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> > exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat. No one could
>> > possibly tell that a bottle of ketchup was past it's "best used by"
>> > date... even Stan couln't say. I have eaten canned beets way past
>> > their best-used-by date, perfectly wholesome. I don't think anyone is
>> > donating a raw cod fish caught last week and kept in the trunk of
>> > their car in 90º weather... big difference from a can of Bumble Bee
>> > tuna past its best-used-by date. This morning I opened a can of
>> > Carnation Evap, on the bottom of the can it says "Best Used By
>> > 07/17/2011". Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . I'll bet it would
>> > still be good by 07/17/2111. ****in' idiots!
>> >
>> > Folks are getting carried away with this use-by nonsense... won't be
>> > long they'll print best used by on a box of salt, like salt is gonna
>> > spoil, it's only been here since this planet was created.

>> I have eaten "best by" things that were past their date. Some seemed to
>> taste fine. Others, like chips, did not. I just ate sourdough bread that
>> expired on the 18th. It wasn't moldy but was a bit dried out. Would have
>> been fine for toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. But it was kind of
>> crumbly for my turkey sandwich.
>>
>> I have bought the kind of cheese that was cut from a big wheel. It tends to
>> go moldy if much past the "sell by" date. I used to buy a flaxseed bread
>> that I could never eat all of before it expired. It was always moldy by the
>> "sell by" date and often moldy three days before! I quit buying it.
>>
>> Would I take expired food if someone gave it to me because it was free?
>> Nope.

>Categorically? Why not?
>

>> When I did eat the expired chips, I didn't realize they were expired until I
>> tasted them. They were not very crisp and had a dull flavor.

>Sometimes a couple minutes in a hot oven will crisp them up.

I bet those chips in the basket at the local watering hole everyone is
pawing at with unwashed hands taste just fine to Julie while she's
chugging pints.

Tater chips nowadays are so controlled by the transfats and salt
freaks that even fresh made they taste woofy.

I really gotta laugh at that holier than thou Obama chick with her
health kick, with her blimpo bubble butt and her tobacco adddicted
malnourished spouse she needs to STFU, she's an embarrassment to
intelligence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
>> > wrote:

>> >From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual food
>> >drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
>> >all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

>> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat.

>I agree, Sheldon, but Somebody's Rules is Somebody's Rules. I wouldn't
>be the least bit surprised if Somebody Ruled out food with a past expiry
>out of fear of a possible lawsuit.

It's also much easier to process with limited volunteer labor, which very
well might be a different crew every time. I don't have to consult a
list ("expired Y: ok for 3 months; expired Y: ok for 1 month; expired
Z: toss") to pack the box when I find X, Y, Z.

At my food bank, broken packages and various types of expired food go into
a special dumpster that a farmer picks up for his livestock.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> I bet those chips in the basket at the local watering hole everyone is
> pawing at with unwashed hands taste just fine to Julie while she's
> chugging pints.

I don't go to the local watering hole or chug pints. Many years ago when I
did go to bars, I saw pretzels being served in PA. Popcorn in a few other
states. But never anything here. Here they have menus and you order
something if you want to eat. I do not normally even eat potato chips. I
just wanted a bite of something salty, found the bag and put my hand in.

> Tater chips nowadays are so controlled by the transfats and salt
> freaks that even fresh made they taste woofy.

There was a place here in Albertsons that made chips daily. So you'd think
they'd be fresh, as in just made that day. Nope! I didn't think they
tasted very good at all. And since the remodel, I think they are done.

> I really gotta laugh at that holier than thou Obama chick with her
> health kick, with her blimpo bubble butt and her tobacco adddicted
> malnourished spouse she needs to STFU, she's an embarrassment to
> intelligence.

No comment on that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:44:14 -0500, "dejablues"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"

>>> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>>> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>>> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat. No one could
>>> possibly tell that a bottle of ketchup was past it's "best used by"
>>> date... even Stan couln't say. I have eaten canned beets way past
>>> their best-used-by date, perfectly wholesome. I don't think anyone is
>>> donating a raw cod fish caught last week and kept in the trunk of
>>> their car in 90º weather... big difference from a can of Bumble Bee
>>> tuna past its best-used-by date. This morning I opened a can of
>>> Carnation Evap, on the bottom of the can it says "Best Used By
>>> 07/17/2011". Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . I'll bet it would
>>> still be good by 07/17/2111. ****in' idiots!
>>>
>>> Folks are getting carried away with this use-by nonsense... won't be
>>> long they'll print best used by on a box of salt, like salt is gonna
>>> spoil, it's only been here since this planet was created.

>>Food banks are not allowed to give out expired foods. If you would not eat
>>it, do not donate it.

> I eat foods past their "best-by"/"sell-by" date all the time. I have
> a freezer full of meats (and other foods-baked goods) that are all
> past their sell-by date, most by several months. I have foods in my
> freezer I cooked more than a year ago, no use-by dates. I freeze
> fresh veggies from my garden, not cooked at all, not even blanched,
> just used a bag of green beans was harvested in 2008, as good as any
> Birdeye just bought. I buy many canned/jarred goods by the case, most
> get eaten after their best-by date... if the safety seal on a jar is
> not popped it's perfectly wholesome regardless the use-by date.
> Nothing prevents food banks from dispensing items past their use-by
> date other than that they are ****in' idiots, don't possess an ounce
> of common sense... no one ever got sick from eating pasta past its
> best-used-by date, whether eaten raw or boiled to death. I must have
> fifty pounds of variously shaped pasta in my pantry, most well past
> their best-used-by date... I eat them all the time without ever
> considering those dates... there's only one kind of date I examine
> carefully before eating, and I don't care how long past their best-by
> date... I bet you're well past your prime but still have a few more
> good miles left... how'd you like it if you were told you're no longer
> allowed? LOL

Why in the world would you have so much pasta? I thought I had a lot but
certainly not that much. I don't even think I have 20 pounds! And the only
reason I have a lot is that I buy the gluten free kind. I can't always find
the shapes I want in the store so I mail order them. Because postage is
high, I mail order a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2011 5:46 PM, Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> At my food bank, broken packages and various types of expired food go into
> a special dumpster that a farmer picks up for his livestock.

That's much better than tossing it. Is that something that is widely
known? If so, it might encourage people to "donate" thereby causing
more work for the volunteers rather than finding another thing to do
with expired food. Just a thought...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 18:36:59 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 1/23/2011 5:46 PM, Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> At my food bank, broken packages and various types of expired food go into
>> a special dumpster that a farmer picks up for his livestock.

>That's much better than tossing it. Is that something that is widely
>known? If so, it might encourage people to "donate" thereby causing
>more work for the volunteers rather than finding another thing to do
>with expired food. Just a thought...

I seriously doubt that fairy tale is true. Farmers are extremely picky
about the food their live stock eats. Contrary to what most city
folks believe live stock are not garbage cans. Farmers do not feed
their animals a lot of crap, many foods can make livestock sick, even
kill them. Charlotte is a ****ing LIAR and one very sick ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>On 1/23/2011 5:46 PM, Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> At my food bank, broken packages and various types of expired food go into
>> a special dumpster that a farmer picks up for his livestock.

>That's much better than tossing it. Is that something that is widely
>known? If so, it might encourage people to "donate" thereby causing
>more work for the volunteers rather than finding another thing to do
>with expired food. Just a thought...

The local municipality has provided compost pails to local residents so
they can do this kind of re-use at home. Given the crazy stuff I've seen
in the food bins at the food bank, I don't think they want to encourage
anyone to get into the habit of having the food bank "recycle" their dodgy
food for them .

(I found a half-eaten bag of chips one time when I was packing. No lie.)

For a period my number seemed to be posted on the feeding program
section of the church web site and I got calls from people about
food donations. I was glad I had done the packing stint so I could
definitively say, "No, the food bank won't take it."

Charlotte