Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blood thinners and super glue.

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> Forgive me if there is a better ng but I can't think of one. I've been
> taking warfarin (coumadin) blood thinner for several years and have grown
> to depend on Johnson & Johnson Band Aid Liquid bandage to deal with
> bleeding from minor scratches. I have word from J&J that Liquid Bandage
> has been discontinued. I know it was essentially Super Glue and I wonder
> if anyone has any recommendations? There is one type of Super Glue that is
> advertised as not immediately sticking to skin and would that be best? The
> advantage of liquid bandage was that it reacted and polymerized on contact
> with blood and is not essentially Duco cement like many other "liquid
> bandages".
> --

What about a Styptic Pencil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie wrote on Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:09:24 -0800:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Hello All!
>>
>> Forgive me if there is a better ng but I can't think of one. I've
>> been taking warfarin (coumadin) blood thinner for
>> several years and have grown to depend on Johnson & Johnson
>> Band Aid Liquid bandage to deal with bleeding from minor
>> scratches. I have word from J&J that Liquid Bandage has been
>> discontinued. I know it was essentially Super Glue and I
>> wonder if anyone has any recommendations? There is one type
>> of Super Glue that is advertised as not immediately sticking to skin
>> and would that be best? The advantage of liquid
>> bandage was that it reacted and polymerized on contact with
>> blood and is not essentially Duco cement like many other
>> "liquid bandages". --

>What about a Styptic Pencil?

Thanks, perhaps I'll have to try if I can remember to buy a styptic
pencil. That might be a good idea if the cut is very small. However, my
next experiment is going to be super glue and I am not so imbued with
the spirit of pure research as to cut myself deliberately.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to Julie Bove on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:00:52 -0500:

>> "James Silverton" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Hello All!
>>>
>>> Forgive me if there is a better ng but I can't think of one.
>>> I've been taking warfarin (coumadin) blood thinner
>>> for several years and have grown to depend on Johnson &
>>> Johnson Band Aid Liquid bandage to deal with bleeding from
>>> minor scratches. I have word from J&J that Liquid Bandage
>>> has been discontinued. I know it was essentially Super Glue and I
>>> wonder if anyone has any recommendations? There is one
>>> type of Super Glue that is advertised as not immediately
>>> sticking to skin and would that be best? The advantage of
>>> liquid bandage was that it reacted and polymerized on
>>> contact with blood and is not essentially Duco cement like
>>> many other "liquid bandages". --

>> What about a Styptic Pencil?

> Thanks, perhaps I'll have to try if I can remember to buy a
> styptic pencil. That might be a good idea if the cut is very
> small. However, my next experiment is going to be super glue
> and I am not so imbued with the spirit of pure research as to cut
> myself deliberately. --

May I also say thanks to everyone who has made suggestions. I'm also
interested in the differences between the ethyl and octyl
cyanoacrylates. I was in a hardware store yesterday and saw a version
of super glue that was said not to immediately stick to skin. I wonder
if this is the octyl version but the ingredient list is not specific.

Most of the suggested solutions, especially vetinary supplies, are a
nuisance to come by and storage of an opened tube of Super Glue is a
problem. The big advantage of Johnson and Johnsons' liquid bandage was
that applicators soaked in the glue were supplied in sealed foil
capsules. They were individually expensive but kept very well.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> James wrote to Julie Bove on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 08:00:52 -0500:
>
> >> "James Silverton" > wrote in
> >> message ...

> >> What about a Styptic Pencil?

> > Thanks, perhaps I'll have to try if I can remember to buy a
> > styptic pencil. That might be a good idea if the cut is very
> > small. However, my next experiment is going to be super glue
> > and I am not so imbued with the spirit of pure research as to cut
> > myself deliberately. --

> May I also say thanks to everyone who has made suggestions. I'm also
> interested in the differences between the ethyl and octyl
> cyanoacrylates. I was in a hardware store yesterday and saw a version
> of super glue that was said not to immediately stick to skin. I wonder
> if this is the octyl version but the ingredient list is not specific.

More likely it has an acidic inhibitor in it, however if you google the
brand with keyword "MSDS" added you might find a list of ingredients.

> Most of the suggested solutions, especially vetinary supplies, are a
> nuisance to come by and storage of an opened tube of Super Glue is a
> problem. The big advantage of Johnson and Johnsons' liquid bandage was
> that applicators soaked in the glue were supplied in sealed foil
> capsules. They were individually expensive but kept very well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. wrote on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:47:51 -0500:

> More likely it has an acidic inhibitor in it, however if you
> google the brand with keyword "MSDS" added you might find a
> list of ingredients.

Thanks! No luck unfortunately but I have bought a tube of Crazy Glue
Skin Guard to try next time.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland