Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paprika v Ground Paprika

I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Emrys Davies" > wrote:

> I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
> paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

There is a difference -- the smoked paprika has the smokiness (as
suggested by its name) and a depth of flavour the ordinary paprika
doesn't have.

You can substitute ordinary for smoked, but IMO it won't be as good.

If you can, I suggest buying a small tin of smoked paprika. You won't
regret it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:09:19 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:04:20 -0000, "Emrys Davies" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
> >paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

> There is a distinctive difference in flavor but I wouldn't consider it
> the deal breaker. Smoked ground paprika is flavorful.

Agreed. Sometimes a smoky flavor is gratuitous and disappoints in
recipes calling for smoked paprika. I'd rather add my own smoke with
a drop or two of Liquid Smoke.... if it's appropriate for the dish.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.

I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-17, Kswck > wrote:

> that's good'. What is it?

Ashtray scrappings?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-01-17, Kswck > wrote:
>
>> that's good'. What is it?

> Ashtray scrappings?
>
> nb

Now, now. Most folks have never tried smoked paprika. So they react
differently to the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 17-Jan-2011, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:04:20 -0000, "Emrys Davies" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
>> >paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

>> There is a distinctive difference in flavor but I wouldn't consider it
>> the deal breaker. Smoked ground paprika is flavorful.

>I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.
>Regular ground paprika has very subtle flavor and is made from a sweet (not
>hot) pimenton pepper - there is no smokiness. There is nothing subtle
>about smoked paprika, which is made by smoking a hot pimenton pepper. For
>the sake of an analogy, let's look at a couple of scenarios; would it be a
>deal breaker if your recipe called for cherry Jello and all you had was
>unflavored gelatine; what about if your recipe called for a jalapeno pepper
>and you only had a red bell pepper on-hand?
>
>If you must substitute, then powdered chipotle would be a better choice than
>plain-old ground paprika. It would at least be a smoked hot pepper.

I agree!

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
>paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

There's a big difference. If the dish needs the smokiness, don't
substitute. A little goes a long way, so don't buy a big tin.

The stuff in my spice rack is La Chinata sweet.

- Mark
Senior Member

Location: WI

Smoked has a more more potent flavor and is generally used in great moderation. I wouldn't try to go above and beyond and think more is better. They are not interchangeable, though.

I respect SF, but can't use liquid smoke. Flashback to a bad Burger Kind sandwich that made me sick when I was a kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emrys Davies wrote:
> I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
> paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

I think there is a HUGE difference. If you do this with the usual
paprika, the taste will be totally different.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.

> I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
> inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.

What types of recipes are you alluding to? I don't know how I
would make such a judgment unless it was a recipe for something I
was already familiar with.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:07:59 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Emrys Davies wrote:
> > I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
> > paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

> I think there is a HUGE difference. If you do this with the usual
> paprika, the taste will be totally different.

It's just a little smoky flavor that's missing and it's not the end of
the world. Most of the time paprika isn't necessary, period.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:09:28 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> >
> >> I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.

> > I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
> > inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.
> >

> What types of recipes are you alluding to? I don't know how I
> would make such a judgment unless it was a recipe for something I
> was already familiar with.

Take cholent, for instance. What's the point?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-18, l, not -l > wrote:

> You are correct about plain paprika not being necessary in most recipes that
> call for it; it is often used primarily for color. However, if you have
> had smoked paprika and hold the opinion that it is the same a regular old
> paprika, you tasted some very bad, most likely very old, smoked
> paprika.

I just opened a fresh jar of smoked paprika. I also just tossed it!

Whoever said it is similar to chipotle is correct. Too similar, in
fact, and chipotle, in any form, I do not like. That's strictly
personal taste and my own problem. If anyone else, here, likes it,
I'm happy for them.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:46:25 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> You are correct about plain paprika not being necessary in most recipes that
> call for it; it is often used primarily for color. However, if you have
> had smoked paprika and hold the opinion that it is the same a regular old
> paprika, you tasted some very bad, most likely very old, smoked paprika. It
> is smokey and it is hot, not sweet; it is made from a different variety of
> pimenton than garden variety paprika. Any recipe that calls for it, needs
> the smokey pimenton flavor and probably the heat (though you could get that
> from cayenne).
> --

Yes, paprika is for color and smoked paprika is for... smoke, which I
find inappropriate in most recipes. I don't get any heat from it and
I've tasted it plain. If I wanted heat, there are other ways to add
it - but the recipes I'm thinking of aren't going off in that
direction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.

>> I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
>> inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.
>>

> What types of recipes are you alluding to? I don't know how I would make
> such a judgment unless it was a recipe for something I was already
> familiar with.
>
> --
> Jean B.

'Griddled Lamb with a Mediterranean vegetable stew'.

It is a recipe from the Daily Telegraph dated 15th Jan. 2011. I am fairly
new to cooking and I try something which appeals to me, a sort of challenge.
If it does not work, so what? We will have had six meals, 3x2, and I will
have had the fun of getting the ingredients together and doing the cooking.
I always have my stew,
http://www.cookingjunkies.com/rec-fo...tew-15092.html,
to fall back on and my wife and I really like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:17:15 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>
>>> I disagree; it should be a deal breaker.

>> I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
>> inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.
>>

> What types of recipes are you alluding to? I don't know how I would make
> such a judgment unless it was a recipe for something I was already
> familiar with.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Jean,

See my post of 19\01\2011 @ 00.52, which slipped into the wrong slot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:52:29 -0000, "Emrys Davies" >
wrote:

> Griddled Lamb with a Mediterranean vegetable stew'.
>
> It is a recipe from the Daily Telegraph dated 15th Jan. 2011

I am not finding it. If anyone does, please post the link! TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l > wrote:

>You are correct about plain paprika not being necessary in most recipes that
>call for it; it is often used primarily for color. However, if you have
>had smoked paprika and hold the opinion that it is the same a regular old
>paprika, you tasted some very bad, most likely very old, smoked paprika. It
>is smokey and it is hot, not sweet; it is made from a different variety of
>pimenton than garden variety paprika. Any recipe that calls for it, needs
>the smokey pimenton flavor and probably the heat (though you could get that
>from cayenne).

The local Spanish store sells both hot and non-hot smoked paprika
from Spain.

If you haven't encountered this ingredient being overused, you
are fortunate. Some restaurants have taken to putting it in
about 1/3 of what they serve, and it then becomes too prominent.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:07:59 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Emrys Davies wrote:
>>> I have ordinary ground paprika and now my recipe asks for smoked ground
>>> paprika. Is there much difference and will the former do the job?

>> I think there is a HUGE difference. If you do this with the usual
>> paprika, the taste will be totally different.

> It's just a little smoky flavor that's missing and it's not the end of
> the world. Most of the time paprika isn't necessary, period.

That depends on the dish. But we don't have to agree about it.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:09:28 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I've seen and made recipes where smoked pepper was a gratuitous and
>>> inappropriate ingredient. I don't know why they called for it.
>>>

>> What types of recipes are you alluding to? I don't know how I
>> would make such a judgment unless it was a recipe for something I
>> was already familiar with.

> Take cholent, for instance. What's the point?

I am not that familiar with cholent--and whether paprika is a
normal thing in it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> l, not -l > wrote:
>
>> You are correct about plain paprika not being necessary in most recipes that
>> call for it; it is often used primarily for color. However, if you have
>> had smoked paprika and hold the opinion that it is the same a regular old
>> paprika, you tasted some very bad, most likely very old, smoked paprika. It
>> is smokey and it is hot, not sweet; it is made from a different variety of
>> pimenton than garden variety paprika. Any recipe that calls for it, needs
>> the smokey pimenton flavor and probably the heat (though you could get that
>>from cayenne).

> The local Spanish store sells both hot and non-hot smoked paprika
> from Spain.
>
> If you haven't encountered this ingredient being overused, you
> are fortunate. Some restaurants have taken to putting it in
> about 1/3 of what they serve, and it then becomes too prominent.
>

> Steve

Ah. Well, I do disagree with that practice. I think there are
recipes where it belongs, or enhances, and recipes where it is
totally unnecessary and wrong.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 18 Jan 2011 10:00:37p, Jean B. told us...
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> It's just a little smoky flavor that's missing and it's not the
>>> end of the world. Most of the time paprika isn't necessary,
>>> period.
>>>

>> That depends on the dish. But we don't have to agree about it.
>>

> I don't like smoked paprika in anything, but that's probagbly because
> I don't much care for a smokey flavor in most things. A good BBQ,
> yes, but in almost evereything else, no. I find it a distraction.

That could be the case for some dishes (and is the case for you),
but if a recipe evolved using this ingredient, I would deem it
necessary.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> If you must substitute, then powdered chipotle would be a better choice than
>> plain-old ground paprika. It would at least be a smoked hot pepper.

> No pimenton I've ever had was hot.

That seems to be one of those genetic things. A remember a friend
visiting for dinner and it was like his head exploded when he had a bite
of my goulash but I couldn't tell the heat at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 5:32*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *Doug Freyburger > wrote:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:32:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> arranged random neurons and opined:

>I just came from a web site that rated "U.S. paprika" at zero
>Scovilles,
>and "hot Hungarian paprika" at 100-500 Scovilles (along with Anaheims
>and pepperoncini). A lot probably depends on what kind of paprika
>you buy (and how sensitive you are to chiles).

I found some smoked Spanish paprika that kicks *ss. Could you source
your website or have a look at their scoring of Spanish paprika? I
really, really love the stuff, so I probably would discount a low
score, but I am curious (we like what we like, yes?).

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,if the wine had been as old
as the turkey,and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid, it

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Paprika Soup International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 23-08-2008 05:03 AM
Bad Paprika ?? No Name General Cooking 5 27-07-2007 09:07 PM
paprika [email protected] General Cooking 10 13-08-2006 08:52 PM
Chicken Paprika Duckie ® Recipes 0 18-10-2005 05:12 PM
which paprika? [email protected] General Cooking 6 24-03-2005 01:11 AM