Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tuna Patties

Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 7:31*pm, Tara > wrote:
> Dinner last night was tuna patties. * I drained a can of tuna, mixed
> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
> salt. *Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
>
> Tara

Tuna is a great substitute for salmon when making patties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:13:18 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 7:31*pm, Tara > wrote:
> > Dinner last night was tuna patties. * I drained a can of tuna, mixed
> > it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
> > crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
> > salt. *Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
> >
> > Tara

> Tuna is a great substitute for salmon when making patties.

Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:31:07 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
> salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
>
> Tara

Looks quick, easy and delicious Tara. I need a few recipes like that
in my repertoire!

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 12:28*am, sf > wrote:

> Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

Potato or bread crumbs are a traditional binder, yes. I'd think the
potato would hold the cakes together best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 06:29:48 -0800 (PST), J >
wrote:

>On Jan 16, 12:28*am, sf > wrote:
>>
>> Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

>Potato or bread crumbs are a traditional binder, yes. I'd think the
>potato would hold the cakes together best.

I added the leftover mashed potatoes since I had them on hand. I
don't know if I would bother cooking and mashing a potato otherwise;
it depends on what time, energy, and other ingredients I possess at
the time.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:31:55 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:31:07 -0500, Tara >
>wrote:
>
>> Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
>> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
>> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
>> salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
>>
>> Tara

>Looks quick, easy and delicious Tara. I need a few recipes like that
>in my repertoire!

Thank you! They were tasty. I forgot to mention I added some dill.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2011 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:13:18 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 15, 7:31 pm, > wrote:
>>> Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
>>> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
>>> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
>>> salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
>>>
>>> Tara

>> Tuna is a great substitute for salmon when making patties.

> Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

My mother used matzo meal. I've used flavored breadcrumbs. Neer thought
of mashed potatoes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:44:06 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 06:29:48 -0800 (PST), J >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jan 16, 12:28*am, sf > wrote:
> >>
> >> Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

> >Potato or bread crumbs are a traditional binder, yes. I'd think the
> >potato would hold the cakes together best.

> I added the leftover mashed potatoes since I had them on hand. I
> don't know if I would bother cooking and mashing a potato otherwise;
> it depends on what time, energy, and other ingredients I possess at
> the time.

It sounded good enough to me that I'd go to the trouble of mashing
some potatoes!

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:45:28 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:31:55 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 20:31:07 -0500, Tara >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
> >> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
> >> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
> >> salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
> >>
> >> Tara

> >Looks quick, easy and delicious Tara. I need a few recipes like that
> >in my repertoire!

> Thank you! They were tasty. I forgot to mention I added some dill.

I will assume (especially at this time of year) that the dill was
dried.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:56:48 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> I make them with flaked fish and mashed potato, then cover them in
> breadcrumbs.

Sounds like you use any old fish, is that right? I like your mashed
potato inside and bread crumb outside approach. It seems like mashed
potatoes would make a moist patty. What are your proportions? 50:50?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:06:56 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:45:28 -0500, Tara >
>wrote:
>

>> Thank you! They were tasty. I forgot to mention I added some dill.
>>

>I will assume (especially at this time of year) that the dill was
>dried.

Yes, the dill was dried. We topped the tuna patties with some hot
sauce. A squeeze of lemon sounds good, too.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:26:20 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:06:56 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:45:28 -0500, Tara >
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Thank you! They were tasty. I forgot to mention I added some dill.
> >>

> >I will assume (especially at this time of year) that the dill was
> >dried.

> Yes, the dill was dried. We topped the tuna patties with some hot
> sauce. A squeeze of lemon sounds good, too.

Gotta ask... hot sauce as in Tabasco or did you mean a hot creamy
sauce? My first thought was "béchamel"... then I thought, no maybe
she meant she shook it from a bottle.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:36:03 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:26:20 -0500, Tara >
>wrote:
>

> Gotta ask... hot sauce as in Tabasco or did you mean a hot creamy
>sauce? My first thought was "béchamel"... then I thought, no maybe
>she meant she shook it from a bottle.

Tabasco!

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:50:55 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:36:03 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:26:20 -0500, Tara >
> >wrote:
> >

> > Gotta ask... hot sauce as in Tabasco or did you mean a hot creamy
> >sauce? My first thought was "béchamel"... then I thought, no maybe
> >she meant she shook it from a bottle.

> Tabasco!

Thanks for clearing that up. )

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 1:56*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article om>,
> says...
>

> > On 1/15/2011 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
> > > On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:13:18 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann

> > > Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

> > My mother used matzo meal. I've used flavored breadcrumbs. Neer thought
> > of mashed potatoes.

> * I make them with flaked fish and mashed potato, then cover them in
> breadcrumbs.

Me too, in addition I add a finely chopped onion and an egg for
binding. I always chill them in the fridge before cooking so that they
firm up.

I like them cold better than hot.

JB

> * Janet- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:43:36 -0800 (PST), Golden One
> wrote:

> I always chill them in the fridge before cooking so that they
> firm up.

Thanks, I'll add that to the "recipe".

> I like them cold better than hot.

The next day? Really?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 10:14*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 1/15/2011 11:28 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:13:18 -0800 (PST), itsjoannotjoann
> > > *wrote:

> >> Tuna is a great substitute for salmon when making patties.

> > Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

> My mother used matzo meal. I've used flavored breadcrumbs. Neer thought
> of mashed potatoes.

I've never heard nor eaten them prepared with mashed potatoes and it
doesn't sound appealing. I fix the patties using tuna just like I do
canned salmon. Cornmeal as the binder along with an egg and several
generous shakes of lemon pepper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> On Jan 16, 10:14�am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>>On 1/15/2011 11:28 PM, sf wrote:

>>>Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

>>My mother used matzo meal. I've used flavored breadcrumbs. Neer thought
>>of mashed potatoes.
>>

> I've never heard nor eaten them prepared with mashed potatoes and it
> doesn't sound appealing. I fix the patties using tuna just like I do
> canned salmon. Cornmeal as the binder along with an egg and several
> generous shakes of lemon pepper.

I like crab cakes made with potatoes but then they are made for use in
the crab cakes and do not have any milk or butter added to them.

I make the occasional tuna melt on rye but prefer use yoghurt cheese in
the tuna salad rather than mayo.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:38:26 -0600, Andy > wrote:

> My tuna salad is just as good on toasted English muffins.

Tuna melt on an English muffin.... is heaven on a bun!

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:52:07 -0600, Andy > wrote:

> Tuba salad?

It *was* funny! Lots of fiber.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 1:37*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:38:26 -0600, Andy > wrote:
> > My tuna salad is just as good on toasted English muffins.

> Tuna melt on an English muffin.... is heaven on a bun!

You two should get together and watch "The Tin Drum".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 8:24*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

> > *I like your mashed
> > potato inside and bread crumb outside approach. *It seems like mashed
> > potatoes would make a moist patty. *What are your proportions? *50:50?

> * Yes. You could dip them in egg but the crumbs will stick to the potato
> anyway.
>
> * *Janet.

David Rocco's Dolce Vita on the Cooking Channel basically the same
thing on Saturday. Looked good with a nice twist.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/reci...ipe/index.html

Enjoy!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:52:07 -0600, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Tuba salad?

> It *was* funny! Lots of fiber.

Fiber in brass? I thought that a tuba was a brass instrament?

> --
>
> Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 10:44*am, Tara > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 06:29:48 -0800 (PST), J >
> wrote:
>
> >On Jan 16, 12:28*am, sf > wrote:

> >> Is the standard way to make fish patties by mixing with mashed potato?

> >Potato or bread crumbs are a traditional binder, yes. I'd think the
> >potato would hold the cakes together best.

> I added the leftover mashed potatoes since I had them on hand. * I
> don't know if I would bother cooking and mashing a potato otherwise;
> it depends on what time, energy, and other ingredients I possess at
> the time. *
>
> Tara

When I was a kid and that's about 60 years ago, my mother made can
salmon pie
and always put mashed potatoes and an egg, and findly chopped onions
with some kind of spices.
This was a two crust pie. I always like putting ketchup on it. That
was soooo good.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:59:33 -0500, "BigBadBubbas"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 23:52:07 -0600, Andy > wrote:
> >
> >> Tuba salad?

> > It *was* funny! Lots of fiber.
> >

> Fiber in brass? I thought that a tuba was a brass instrament?
>
> > --
> >
> > Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

It *is* and instrument. Think of all the roughage... oh, well never
mind. The moment has passed.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigBadBubbas wrote:
> "sf" > wrote:
>> Andy > wrote:

>>> Tuba salad?

>> It *was* funny! Lots of fiber.

> Fiber in brass? I thought that a tuba was a brass instrament?

Tubas are now available made from fiberglass. It even has "fiber" in
its name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a really great old recipe from Gourmet called "Tuna Cakes Maryland
Style." I don't have time to type it all in right now, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it is floating around on the net somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> Dinner last night was tuna patties. I drained a can of tuna, mixed
> it with about a third of a cup of leftover mashed potatoes, one
> crumbled slice of bread, one egg, a spoon of mayonnaise, and seasoning
> salt. Then, I browned both sides in olive oil.
>
> Tara

Mom used to make a tuna and potato casserole, which she served
with mock Hollandaise sauce. I bet that sauce would be good for
patties too.

--
Jean B.