Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default City of Camden, New Jersey Lays off 1/2 police force.

Andy > wrote:
> VOT: City of Camden, New Jersey Lays off 1/2 police force.
>
> The 2nd most dangerous city in the country just got worse.
>
> This morning, according to the local Fox news talking heads, 180 police
> (171 + 9 civilian office staff got their walking papers with
> instructions to turn in their belongings by Monday. Layoffs will be
> effective Tuesday, January 18th.
>
> And 1/3 of the firefighters are laid off. No numbers given.
>
> While PD departments are laying off in other NJ cities. Camden
> represents the largest percentage of lay offs in the state.
>
> Why? In City of Camden's case, to fill a $26.5M budget gap. City
> council's vote was unanimous.
>
> 40 guardian angels, unarmed, unable to make arrests volunteers will fill
> in for the laid off 180 police, working from 11AM - Midnight. WE'RE
> SAVED!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! WE'RE SAVED!!!
>
> NOT!
>
> Just in: The mayor, hoping for some wiggle room negotiations with the
> unions asked for a 40% salary reduction. The smart money says the last
> two or three years of salary determining pensions is entirely
> unacceptable.
> ------
>
> Like moths to a flame, so too, crooks into Camden, NJ.
>
> For years, lawlessness there has always been prevalent. Well, it's just
> gotten a whole lot worse. The "Wild West" is now more than ever before,
> open for business.
>
> We in Philadelphia can go down to the Delaware river waterfront and
> watch Camden burn to the ground.
>
> Andy
> OB Food: <blank>

YES!!!
I live in a township, the boondocks, no police department, no fire
department, very low property taxes, miles of dirt roads, well water,
septic field, crime almost non existent ( well mailboxes gets trashed once
in awhile, front headline news here ). The good part there is a small
hospital nearby, fifteen miles away... Oh joy. I will take my corner of the
earth in country and let the cities of the world rot! I also want gas to
go to $50 per gallon so no else can afford to come where I am.

However, When electricity goes, civilization goes!
Without high speed Internet life would be very very scary!

Just take a look at Detroit, eventually all cities will look like like that
burned out, vacant, filthy, gutted out.... City. Results of free trade
soon to reach a city near you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:21:24 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

> Just take a look at Detroit, eventually all cities will look like like that
> burned out, vacant, filthy, gutted out.... City. Results of free trade
> soon to reach a city near you!

After the great white flight, most cities have recovered and are doing
well. Detroit is a case in point about what happens when all the eggs
are put into one basket and nobody diversifies.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:21:24 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
>
>> Just take a look at Detroit, eventually all cities will look like like that
>> burned out, vacant, filthy, gutted out.... City. Results of free trade
>> soon to reach a city near you!

> After the great white flight, most cities have recovered and are doing
> well. Detroit is a case in point about what happens when all the eggs
> are put into one basket and nobody diversifies.

Not true... After the white flight, neighboring cities are also now going
broke. Troy the most populated of the white flight cities is laying off one
third of its police force. The city of Troy is one of the better off
suburbs of Detroit.

When the United States gets rid of their manufacturing capabilities, the
United States will become just another third world low wage bankrupt
agricultural nation. Like the banana republics our only exports will be
toxic genetically engineered corn as the US's only export. Besides selling
weapons of mass destruction to the world as long as the taxpayer subsides
to the military industrial complex and the corn subsidies.

Diversify into what? Everybody sell insurance to everybody... Without
manufacturing all that is left is low wage service industry... Yes we need
to diversify, first end all free trade agreements and start rebuilding
America instead of contracting everything out to the communist Chinese. Oh
yea, not even the Computer based "Knowledge" imaginary industry is going
save the U.S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2011 8:21 AM, Nad R wrote:
> > wrote:
>> VOT: City of Camden, New Jersey Lays off 1/2 police force.
>>
>> The 2nd most dangerous city in the country just got worse.
>>
>> This morning, according to the local Fox news talking heads, 180 police
>> (171 + 9 civilian office staff got their walking papers with
>> instructions to turn in their belongings by Monday. Layoffs will be
>> effective Tuesday, January 18th.
>>
>> And 1/3 of the firefighters are laid off. No numbers given.
>>
>> While PD departments are laying off in other NJ cities. Camden
>> represents the largest percentage of lay offs in the state.
>>
>> Why? In City of Camden's case, to fill a $26.5M budget gap. City
>> council's vote was unanimous.
>>
>> 40 guardian angels, unarmed, unable to make arrests volunteers will fill
>> in for the laid off 180 police, working from 11AM - Midnight. WE'RE
>> SAVED!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! WE'RE SAVED!!!
>>
>> NOT!
>>
>> Just in: The mayor, hoping for some wiggle room negotiations with the
>> unions asked for a 40% salary reduction. The smart money says the last
>> two or three years of salary determining pensions is entirely
>> unacceptable.
>> ------
>>
>> Like moths to a flame, so too, crooks into Camden, NJ.
>>
>> For years, lawlessness there has always been prevalent. Well, it's just
>> gotten a whole lot worse. The "Wild West" is now more than ever before,
>> open for business.
>>
>> We in Philadelphia can go down to the Delaware river waterfront and
>> watch Camden burn to the ground.
>>
>> Andy
>> OB Food:<blank>

> YES!!!
> I live in a township, the boondocks, no police department, no fire
> department, very low property taxes, miles of dirt roads, well water,
> septic field, crime almost non existent ( well mailboxes gets trashed once
> in awhile, front headline news here ). The good part there is a small
> hospital nearby, fifteen miles away... Oh joy. I will take my corner of the
> earth in country and let the cities of the world rot! I also want gas to
> go to $50 per gallon so no else can afford to come where I am.

At least you are not whining about how everyone should help subsidize
your choice by paving your roads, providing high speed Internet or
whatever. That is what I always hear from folks who decide they don't
want to have neighbors.

I border on what used to be a rural area. There is currently a
controversy because unlike all of the other townships around here they
don't have their own police. So they are mooching off of everyone else
because they use the state police.

> However, When electricity goes, civilization goes!
> Without high speed Internet life would be very very scary!
>
> Just take a look at Detroit, eventually all cities will look like like that
> burned out, vacant, filthy, gutted out.... City. Results of free trade
> soon to reach a city near you!

Detroit is an example of making bad choices. Take a look at NYC.It had a
major comeback after the folks had enough and hired Giuliani in the 90's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

>I border on what used to be a rural area. There is currently a
>controversy because unlike all of the other townships around here they
>don't have their own police. So they are mooching off of everyone else
>because they use the state police.

How are they Mooching, they pay property taxes just like everyone
else, plus the State Police serve the entire State. Rural
coummunities don't typically have their own police force but property
owners in farming communities having much larger properties pay
disproportionately higher taxes (the Counties do have their own
Sheriffs but they haven't much presence in the rural communities, they
are mostly patroling State roads). The entire upstate area and
especially Long Island pay the majority of taxes that support NYC...
Noo Yawk Cidy is essentially a parasite, it drains the most State
revenue without providing any benefit whatsoever to the vast majority
of the State residents... it's the rural Counties that support the NYC
police, fire department, the transit system, roads, schools, etc. The
rural counties have all volunteer fire departments