Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Article: "Bad News for Paddington Bear: British Children Shun Marmalade"

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/12/br...-butter-choco/
("Bad News for Paddington Bear: British Children Shun Marmalade")

More about marmalade:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote on Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:19:10 -0800 (PST):

> More about marmalade:

> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
> ("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

In the US, is it possible to buy marmalade made with bitter oranges and
lots of peel at a reasonable price, say about $4 a pound? There are some
imports that are good but the prices are cruel. At one time, Keillers
was a possibility but nowadays, it seems to be mainly made with pectin.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Lenona wrote on Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:19:10 -0800 (PST):
>
>> More about marmalade:

>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE
>>

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
>> ("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

> In the US, is it possible to buy marmalade made with bitter oranges and
> lots of peel at a reasonable price, say about $4 a pound? There are some
> imports that are good but the prices are cruel. At one time, Keillers
> was a possibility but nowadays, it seems to be mainly made with pectin.

Ahhhh. The last time I was at British Delights in Westford, Mass.
they did have what you seek. (Is that called thick cut or
something like that?) However, having recently decided that sweet
marmalade is too lacking in character and the other is too bitter,
I was looking for the latter so I could mix the two. I had a hard
time finding any of the marmalades with lots of peel. Soon, I'll
Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
marmalades and such.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:47:16 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Lenona wrote on Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:19:10 -0800 (PST):
>
>> More about marmalade:

>> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9a37551e-1...#axzz1Ay5tc5RE

>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...n/12/marmalade
>> ("Marmalade's appeal must endure")

>In the US, is it possible to buy marmalade made with bitter oranges and
>lots of peel at a reasonable price, say about $4 a pound? There are some
>imports that are good but the prices are cruel. At one time, Keillers
>was a possibility but nowadays, it seems to be mainly made with pectin.

I don't know-- but all this talk of marmalade makes me want spring to
hurry up. My first pound of rhubarb each spring goes to marmalade.

6 cups chopped rhubarb
6 cups sugar
2 medium oranges

Combine rhubarb and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Grind oranges,
including the peels, in a food processor; add to rhubarb mixture.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often
until marmalade sheets from a spoon, about 1 hour.

I don't think I've ever seen bitter oranges when I need them. I
pick barely ripe oranges that look good at the grocery. It has been
a never-fail recipe for me.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:47:10 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Soon, I'll
> Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
> marmalades and such.

I don't buy regular marmalade because it's too sweet. Blech.
Too bad we have to search out a British store just to buy something
decent.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:47:10 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Soon, I'll
>> Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
>> marmalades and such.

> I don't buy regular marmalade because it's too sweet. Blech.
> Too bad we have to search out a British store just to buy something
> decent.

I don't like really bitter things, which is why I decided to try
combining two different kinds. (I always combine mustards now,
and I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 12:47*pm, sf > wrote:

> I don't buy regular marmalade because it's too sweet. *Blech.
> Too bad we have to search out a British store just to buy something
> decent.

What's so hard about MAKING your own, not-so-sweet marmalade?

I made my own, easily, years ago. The recipe was from Linda Allison's
early 1970s science book: "The Reasons for Seasons."

I gave it as a Christmas present, with a card with selected rhymes
from the first half of A.A. Milne's "The King's Breakfast."

For those who don't remember that poem:

www.poetryconnection.net/poets/A.A._Milne/14281

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
> Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.

I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
specialty store item?

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:00:08 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
wrote:

> What's so hard about MAKING your own, not-so-sweet marmalade?

I used to... it was pineapple orange marmalade with Grand Marnier, but
I am not fond of canning. I don't even make freezer jam.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:47:08 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:47:10 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Soon, I'll
>> Their prices can be pretty high. I don't recall the prices for
>> marmalades and such.

>I don't buy regular marmalade because it's too sweet. Blech.
>Too bad we have to search out a British store just to buy something
>decent.

Typically Brit marmalade contains significantly more sugar (it's much
more dense/crystalene than flowing US marmalade) but the very tart
Seville oranges mask the sweetness. I don't particularly like Brit
marmalade, it's more a poor quality confection than a spread... I find
its texture icky, like cheap jelly beans. I don't consider their
Seville oranges a plus, they're sour but taste nothing of oranges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
|
| > I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
| > Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.
|
| I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
| specialty store item?

Justin's is a totally delicious line of nut butters:
http://tinyurl.com/5v8om6x

My favorite is the maple almond butter, in convenient
portion-control sizes.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
>> Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.

> I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
> specialty store item?

It is at Whole Foods (here, anyway). It is ultra-expensive. I
got some at half price, which is still expensive enough. It's
kind-of a grown-up Nutella.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message ...
> | On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> |
> | > I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
> | > Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.
> |
> | I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
> | specialty store item?
>
> Justin's is a totally delicious line of nut butters:
> http://tinyurl.com/5v8om6x
>
> My favorite is the maple almond butter, in convenient
> portion-control sizes.
>
> pavane

DON'T TELL ME THIS!!!! Yes, I find myself debating about getting
the little packets, but that would be even more expensive per
amount. OTOH, one can afford a packet--and the larger container
is not there demanding to be eaten.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:53:22 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >
> >> I just started combining Nutella with the ever-so pricy
> >> Justin's version, which has a lot more flavor and some texture.

> > I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
> > specialty store item?
> >

> It is at Whole Foods (here, anyway). It is ultra-expensive. I
> got some at half price, which is still expensive enough. It's
> kind-of a grown-up Nutella.

Thanks, Jean! I don't go to whole foods very often so I'll keep it in
mind for the next time I'm there.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:53:22 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
>>> specialty store item?
>>>

>> It is at Whole Foods (here, anyway). It is ultra-expensive. I
>> got some at half price, which is still expensive enough. It's
>> kind-of a grown-up Nutella.

> Thanks, Jean! I don't go to whole foods very often so I'll keep it in
> mind for the next time I'm there.

Save your pennies!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:08:03 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> It is at Whole Foods (here, anyway). It is ultra-expensive. I
> >> got some at half price, which is still expensive enough. It's
> >> kind-of a grown-up Nutella.

> > Thanks, Jean! I don't go to whole foods very often so I'll keep it in
> > mind for the next time I'm there.
> >

> Save your pennies!

Starting tomorrow.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message ...
| pavane wrote:
| > "sf" > wrote in message ...
| > | On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:58:58 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
| > |
| > |
| > | I don't think I've seen that one. Is Justin's a grocery store or
| > | specialty store item?
| >
| > Justin's is a totally delicious line of nut butters:
| > http://tinyurl.com/5v8om6x
| >
| > My favorite is the maple almond butter, in convenient
| > portion-control sizes.
| >
| > pavane
| >
| DON'T TELL ME THIS!!!! Yes, I find myself debating about getting
| the little packets, but that would be even more expensive per
| amount. OTOH, one can afford a packet--and the larger container
| is not there demanding to be eaten.

Take a look at the Amazon price for bulk shipments, which is much
lower than any retail store around here. I like the packets since you
can smoosh them to blend the ingredients; stirring the almond butter
in the jar can be messy...and the big jar seems to disappear in a
disproportionately rapid time frame.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message ...
> | pavane wrote:
> | > |
> | > |

> | > Justin's is a totally delicious line of nut butters:
> | > http://tinyurl.com/5v8om6x
> | >
> | > My favorite is the maple almond butter, in convenient
> | > portion-control sizes.
> | >
> | > pavane
> | >
> | DON'T TELL ME THIS!!!! Yes, I find myself debating about getting
> | the little packets, but that would be even more expensive per
> | amount. OTOH, one can afford a packet--and the larger container
> | is not there demanding to be eaten.
>
> Take a look at the Amazon price for bulk shipments, which is much
> lower than any retail store around here. I like the packets since you
> can smoosh them to blend the ingredients; stirring the almond butter
> in the jar can be messy...and the big jar seems to disappear in a
> disproportionately rapid time frame.
>
> pavane

Oh really! I have been looking for the packages of maple almond
butter since you mentioned them. They don't seem to be carried in
Bedford. I'll have to look at some other stores. Does the WF
near you have them?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message ...
| pavane wrote:
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | DON'T TELL ME THIS!!!! Yes, I find myself debating about getting
| > | the little packets, but that would be even more expensive per
| > | amount. OTOH, one can afford a packet--and the larger container
| > | is not there demanding to be eaten.
| >
| > Take a look at the Amazon price for bulk shipments, which is much
| > lower than any retail store around here. I like the packets since you
| > can smoosh them to blend the ingredients; stirring the almond butter
| > in the jar can be messy...and the big jar seems to disappear in a
| > disproportionately rapid time frame.
| >
| > pavane
| >

| Oh really! I have been looking for the packages of maple almond
| butter since you mentioned them. They don't seem to be carried in
| Bedford. I'll have to look at some other stores. Does the WF
| near you have them?

They are erratic to find; the most common place that stocks them is
Target. I've seen them at Fresh Market, haven't looked at WF but it
is their kind of product. Amazon, of course, per the link above. Luck!

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message ...
> | pavane wrote:
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > Take a look at the Amazon price for bulk shipments, which is much
> | > lower than any retail store around here. I like the packets since you
> | > can smoosh them to blend the ingredients; stirring the almond butter
> | > in the jar can be messy...and the big jar seems to disappear in a
> | > disproportionately rapid time frame.
> | >
> | > pavane
> | >

> | Oh really! I have been looking for the packages of maple almond
> | butter since you mentioned them. They don't seem to be carried in
> | Bedford. I'll have to look at some other stores. Does the WF
> | near you have them?
>
> They are erratic to find; the most common place that stocks them is
> Target. I've seen them at Fresh Market, haven't looked at WF but it
> is their kind of product. Amazon, of course, per the link above. Luck!
>
> pavane

Fresh Market?????? Where IS that? And Target? I assume the
price is better there. I'll have to try to remember to look for
it there. ThanksQ!

--
Jean B.