Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 15 Minutes Prep Time...

....on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
way, way super faster than I am. And the recipe says it serves "4 to
6." That'd be 4 - 6 linebackers for the Vikings, but 8 - 10 of my
nearest and dearest. And I love, love, love the reviews (which is why
I picked this recipe, everyone seemed to go bonkers for it). Most of
them raved about the recipe, then gave you six different ways they
*changed* it. Oh, and it's a good recipe, but not a trip to the moon.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Beef And Pork Chili

meats and poultry

6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
2 medium onions; finely chopped
1 green pepper; finely chopped
1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
salt and black pepper
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 cup dark beer
1 (15-ounce) can black beans; drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans; drained and rinsed
1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes; with juice
lime wedges; for garnish
sour cream; for garnish
shredded cheddar; for garnish
sliced green onions; for garnish

In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat
until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned,
add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle
chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and
pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings
are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once
beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with
wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4
minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.

Notes: The Neelys (FN)

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Preparation Time: 15 mi

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> ...on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
> zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
> FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
> another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
> pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
> can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
> green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
> way, way super faster than I am.

Food Processor?

Everything is "finely chopped", ground or canned. Except the bacon
which shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to cut with a sharp knife.

Some where i have a food processor cook book with lots of reputedly
quick recipes for versions of French haute cuisine, FP hollandaise and
the like.

> 1 (15-ounce) can black beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
> 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes; with juice
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I don't do cans so don't have an electric can opener so that's at least
5 - 10 minutes right there

I do use a lot of beans, rice, lentils & etc. Fresh as well as dried
and like to keep a dutch oven of kidney or pinto beans around that i
have cooked very dry and simply, with little beyond a pinch of salt.

These beans are then used in various other dishes over the next few days.

Barely cooked they retain a texture and flavor i think they lose over
the same amount of time if they are kept immersed in a cooking liquid
(or can). Hence i usually have a pot of cooked, dry, beans on hand.

I would probly take the time to blanch & then peel the fresh tomatoes
before i crushed and/or diced them by hand.
-
Mr. JL Esq.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> ...on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
> zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
> FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
> another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
> pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
> can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
> green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
> way, way super faster than I am. And the recipe says it serves "4 to
> 6." That'd be 4 - 6 linebackers for the Vikings, but 8 - 10 of my
> nearest and dearest. And I love, love, love the reviews (which is why
> I picked this recipe, everyone seemed to go bonkers for it). Most of
> them raved about the recipe, then gave you six different ways they
> *changed* it. Oh, and it's a good recipe, but not a trip to the moon.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Beef And Pork Chili
>
> meats and poultry
>
> 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
> 4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
> 2 medium onions; finely chopped
> 1 green pepper; finely chopped
> 1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
> 1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped
> 3 tablespoons chili powder
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
> 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
> 2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
> salt and black pepper
> 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 1 cup dark beer
> 1 (15-ounce) can black beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
> 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes; with juice
> lime wedges; for garnish
> sour cream; for garnish
> shredded cheddar; for garnish
> sliced green onions; for garnish
>
> In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat
> until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned,
> add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle
> chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and
> pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings
> are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once
> beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with
> wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4
> minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
> crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
> 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
> Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
> cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.
>
> Notes: The Neelys (FN)
>
> Yield: 4 to 6 servings
>
> Preparation Time: 15 mi

What's wrong with you, Squeaks?

:-)

The recipe directions don't say anything about chopping. You just pull
those ingredients right out of your fridge! You buy them that way, or
have your prep chef (sous chef if you want to be fancy) do that for you.
That's how they do it on the tv shows.

But yeah, if you do the math, the prep time doesn't cover the chopping.

And I suspect that "serving size" is per football team.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> ...on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
> zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
> FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
> another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
> pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
> can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
> green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
> way, way super faster than I am. And the recipe says it serves "4 to
> 6." That'd be 4 - 6 linebackers for the Vikings, but 8 - 10 of my
> nearest and dearest. And I love, love, love the reviews (which is why
> I picked this recipe, everyone seemed to go bonkers for it). Most of
> them raved about the recipe, then gave you six different ways they
> *changed* it. Oh, and it's a good recipe, but not a trip to the moon.

I think it would take me all of 15 min to prep, but not much more if
any. I'm pretty quick in the kitchen. Of course I'd also be chopping the
onions and peppers while the bacon browned slowly in the pot.

As to servings-I think it would probably make about 8 large bowlfuls.
Not servings, but big bowlfuls. I eat a lot less chili than my husband
yet we both had a serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:32*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> [...]
> wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4
> minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
> crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
> 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
> Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
> cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.
>
> Notes: *The Neelys (FN)
>
> Yield: 4 to 6 servings
>
> Preparation Time: *15 mi
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> "If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
> if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
> and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
> it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Hek, tuk mee fiften minuts jus 2 reed the ressipee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat
> until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned,
> add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle
> chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and
> pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings
> are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once
> beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with
> wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4
> minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
> crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
> 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
> Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
> cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.

I am not that fast at cutting things up. So I think chopping all those
veggies would take me more than 15 minutes. I suppose I could do them in
the food processor and that might be quicker, but I tend not to do that for
things like this. If I were going to put the veggies in a sauce or
meatloaf, then I would use the food processor. It tends to chop things
finer. I don't even think it would be all that fast with my Slap Chop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> ...on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
> zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
> FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
> another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
> pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
> can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
> green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
> way, way super faster than I am. And the recipe says it serves "4 to
> 6." That'd be 4 - 6 linebackers for the Vikings, but 8 - 10 of my
> nearest and dearest. And I love, love, love the reviews (which is why
> I picked this recipe, everyone seemed to go bonkers for it). Most of
> them raved about the recipe, then gave you six different ways they
> *changed* it. Oh, and it's a good recipe, but not a trip to the moon.

I could get that recipe going in 15 min, but it looks like it wouldn't
leave much of the 15 min to spare. I would agree that it would appear to
produce a good deal more than 4-6 servings in normal serving sizes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>> 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
>> 4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
>> 2 medium onions; finely chopped
>> 1 green pepper; finely chopped
>> 1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
>> 1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped

> I am not that fast at cutting things up. So I think chopping all those
> veggies would take me more than 15 minutes. I suppose I could do them in
> the food processor and that might be quicker, but I tend not to do that for
> things like this. If I were going to put the veggies in a sauce or
> meatloaf, then I would use the food processor. It tends to chop things
> finer. I don't even think it would be all that fast with my Slap Chop.

All *what* vegetables???? Two onions, 3 bell peppers, two puny cloves of
garlic and 6 pieces of bacon? Hardly what I'd call a lot of chopping.

Letsee.. about 1 min to take all six slices of bacon and slice up
together at once. Another minute to peel and mince up the garlic (lay
unpeeled cloves of garlic on the cutting board and lay the large
chopping knife blade over and whack with your hand, that gets the peel
off in one fell swoop and then you can quickly mince. Adding your
recipe's salt to the garlic on the cutting board even helps it mince
better) Then take the bell peppers and cut into half to seed, then into
strips and cross cut into the desired finished size. It truly shouldn't
take more than 5 minutes.

Do you do it somehow differently that it takes an abnormal amount of
time for you? Perhaps better knives and cutting board? I once knew a
woman who complained about cooking yet when I saw her utensils she was
trying to cook with soup spoons and other totally inadequate equipment.
I have no doubt cooking was an unpleasant task at *that* rate!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>>> 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
>>> 4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
>>> 2 medium onions; finely chopped
>>> 1 green pepper; finely chopped
>>> 1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
>>> 1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped

>> I am not that fast at cutting things up. So I think chopping all those
>> veggies would take me more than 15 minutes. I suppose I could do them in
>> the food processor and that might be quicker, but I tend not to do that
>> for things like this. If I were going to put the veggies in a sauce or
>> meatloaf, then I would use the food processor. It tends to chop things
>> finer. I don't even think it would be all that fast with my Slap Chop.

> All *what* vegetables???? Two onions, 3 bell peppers, two puny cloves of
> garlic and 6 pieces of bacon? Hardly what I'd call a lot of chopping.
>
> Letsee.. about 1 min to take all six slices of bacon and slice up together
> at once. Another minute to peel and mince up the garlic (lay unpeeled
> cloves of garlic on the cutting board and lay the large chopping knife
> blade over and whack with your hand, that gets the peel off in one fell
> swoop and then you can quickly mince. Adding your recipe's salt to the
> garlic on the cutting board even helps it mince better) Then take the bell
> peppers and cut into half to seed, then into strips and cross cut into the
> desired finished size. It truly shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
>
> Do you do it somehow differently that it takes an abnormal amount of time
> for you? Perhaps better knives and cutting board? I once knew a woman
> who complained about cooking yet when I saw her utensils she was trying to
> cook with soup spoons and other totally inadequate equipment. I have no
> doubt cooking was an unpleasant task at *that* rate!

It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique of
smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up with
a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.

At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good two
hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
snacks and salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique of
> smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up with
> a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
> because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
> peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.
>
> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
> prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
> were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good two
> hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
> snacks and salads.

I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
skin right off.
You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
things mroe effectively.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique
>> of smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up
>> with a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my
>> onions because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with
>> my peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.
>>
>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for
>> any length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried
>> to prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed
>> there were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a
>> good two hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included
>> vegetables for snacks and salads.

> I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
> Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
> skin right off.
> You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
> things mroe effectively.

I don't like to cut it in half. Why? Because the little bits of root tend
to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. I see many
chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. Same goes for smashing
the garlic.

I don't have any difficulties that I know of.

I'm also not out to win any awards for quickness with my cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:42:36 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique of
>> smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up with
>> a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
>> because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
>> peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.
>>
>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
>> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
>> prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
>> were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good two
>> hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
>> snacks and salads.
>>

>I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
>Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
>skin right off.
>You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
>things mroe effectively.

Even two minutes is a very long allotment for peeling one onion...
really shouldn't require more than 20 seconds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:42:36 -0500, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the
>>> technique of
>>> smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up
>>> with
>>> a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
>>> because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
>>> peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.
>>>
>>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for
>>> any
>>> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
>>> prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
>>> were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good
>>> two
>>> hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
>>> snacks and salads.
>>>

>>I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
>>Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
>>skin right off.
>>You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
>>things mroe effectively.

> Even two minutes is a very long allotment for peeling one onion...
> really shouldn't require more than 20 seconds.

I don't know how long it takes. I've never timed myself. I just remove the
peel, cut off the top and bottom, then cut in half, then remove and discard
the outer layer. I don't always discard the outer layer, especially if it
is a small onion. But I often use large onions and the outer layer tends to
be tough.

You also have to factor in the washing of the produce. I just realized I do
not wash my garlic. Probably should.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2011 9:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on.

It sounds like you're better now. I hadn't thought of a bar stool to
sit on to help with food prep. I'm thinking about it now! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2011 9:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:42:36 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique of
>>> smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up with
>>> a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
>>> because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
>>> peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.
>>>
>>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
>>> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
>>> prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
>>> were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good two
>>> hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
>>> snacks and salads.
>>>

>> I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
>> Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
>> skin right off.
>> You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
>> things mroe effectively.

> Even two minutes is a very long allotment for peeling one onion...
> really shouldn't require more than 20 seconds.

You guys aren't accounting for people with chronic pain. Even people
with pain like/need to cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2011 9:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for
>> any
>> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on.

> It sounds like you're better now. I hadn't thought of a bar stool to sit
> on to help with food prep. I'm thinking about it now! Thanks!

Yes, this was many years ago. The bar stool gets very little use now. Once
in a while daughter will rediscover it and spin on it. It has no back and
it does spin. Once in a while I will use it to set something on. My
kitchen is small and I don't have a lot of counter space.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2011 9:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:42:36 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>>> I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
>>> Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
>>> skin right off.
>>> You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
>>> things mroe effectively.

>> Even two minutes is a very long allotment for peeling one onion...
>> really shouldn't require more than 20 seconds.

> You guys aren't accounting for people with chronic pain. Even people with
> pain like/need to cook.

That is true. When I was at my worst, I was having trouble with all of the
muscles in my body. I once accidentally threw a sharp knife because I lost
control of my fingers and apparently my arm. Because of this I was extra
careful and took things slowly.

I guess I still do this now. Currently I seem to have a little Carpal
Tunnel acting up. I know how to deal with it. I should be off the
computer. Mousing and keyboarding are not good for it. But I am addicted.

I also tend to enjoy my cooking time. I know not everyone does. My mom
hated cooking and the faster she got out of the kitchen the better. I am
not like that at all. I like to take my time. I find time in the kitchen
to be relaxing and enjoyable. Except perhaps for when I am washing the
dishes. I know some people find *that* to be enjoyable but I do not. I
like to watch the dish unfold before me and savor every step of the process.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
I just realized I do
> not wash my garlic. Probably should.

LOL LOL LOL.. only you, Julie, only you! Thanks for the laugh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:57:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I don't like to cut it in half. Why? Because the little bits of root tend
> to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. I see many
> chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. Same goes for smashing
> the garlic.

Come on Julie. Cut both ends off, slice it from stem to stern and
then pull the skin off each half.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:57:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't like to cut it in half. Why? Because the little bits of root
>> tend
>> to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. I see
>> many
>> chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. Same goes for
>> smashing
>> the garlic.

> Come on Julie. Cut both ends off, slice it from stem to stern and
> then pull the skin off each half.

Nope. I prefer to peel it first. Otherwise you get little bits of peel
sticking to the cut part.

Why is it that people here are getting upset at how *I* peel or cut an
onion? It's not like I'm cooking for any of you and you have to wait for
it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> I just realized I do
>> not wash my garlic. Probably should.

> LOL LOL LOL.. only you, Julie, only you! Thanks for the laugh!

Whatever. I can't see the difference between that and an onion. And you
*do* wash your onions. Right?

I did work as a crop picker. Only for one day. Not for me. But there
ain't no running water out there. Just sayin'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 6:24*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> [...]

> > minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
> > crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
> > 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
> > Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
> > cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.

> > Notes: *The Neelys (FN)

> > Yield: 4 to 6 servings

> > Preparation Time: *15 mi

> What's wrong with you, Squeaks?
>
> :-)
>
> The recipe directions don't say anything about chopping. *You just pull
> those ingredients right out of your fridge! *You buy them that way, or
> have your prep chef (sous chef if you want to be fancy) do that for you. *
> That's how they do it on the tv shows.
>
> But yeah, if you do the math, the prep time doesn't cover the chopping.

Well it's only a couple of peppers and some onion, garlic and bacon,
what's so labor intensive about that???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 8:57*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message

> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. *I have seen the technique
> >> of smashing the garlic. *That never seems to work for me. *I just wind up
> >> with a mess and I have to pick little bits out. *I am careful with my
> >> onions because I don't want bits of peel in there. *And I am careful with
> >> my peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.

> >> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for
> >> any length of time. *I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. *I tried
> >> to prep my veggies for the week all at one time. *Of course it seemed
> >> there were always times I had to do something additional. *But I spent a
> >> good two hours of chopping and slicing every week. *This included
> >> vegetables for snacks and salads.

> > I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
> > Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
> > skin right off.
> > You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
> > things mroe effectively.

From what I've read lately, I agree.

> I don't like to cut it in half. *Why? *Because the little bits of root tend
> to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. *I see many
> chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. *Same goes for smashing
> the garlic.

You cut the roots off the onion first, then cut in half. You make
things harder than they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2011 10:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> That is true. When I was at my worst, I was having trouble with all of the
> muscles in my body. I once accidentally threw a sharp knife because I lost
> control of my fingers and apparently my arm. Because of this I was extra
> careful and took things slowly.
>
> I guess I still do this now. Currently I seem to have a little Carpal
> Tunnel acting up. I know how to deal with it. I should be off the
> computer. Mousing and keyboarding are not good for it. But I am addicted.

For me it's my back. The tingling in my foot is getting worse and worse.
I can't stand still for much time. My hip pops. Physical therapy hurt.
I bought a massage chair. But I can't live in the chair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:19:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:57:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't like to cut it in half. Why? Because the little bits of root
> >> tend
> >> to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. I see
> >> many
> >> chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. Same goes for
> >> smashing
> >> the garlic.

> > Come on Julie. Cut both ends off, slice it from stem to stern and
> > then pull the skin off each half.

> Nope. I prefer to peel it first. Otherwise you get little bits of peel
> sticking to the cut part.

That's ridiculous. Take the top layer off and absolutely no peel will
stick to anything.

> Why is it that people here are getting upset at how *I* peel or cut an
> onion? It's not like I'm cooking for any of you and you have to wait for

<shrug> Do whatever you want, but I don't need to know the details.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:19:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:57:31 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > Come on Julie. Cut both ends off, slice it from stem to stern and
>> > then pull the skin off each half.

>> Nope. I prefer to peel it first. Otherwise you get little bits of peel
>> sticking to the cut part.

> That's ridiculous. Take the top layer off and absolutely no peel will
> stick to anything.
>>
>> Why is it that people here are getting upset at how *I* peel or cut an
>> onion? It's not like I'm cooking for any of you and you have to wait for

> <shrug> Do whatever you want, but I don't need to know the details.

Just as I don't need to know the details of how *you* do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2011 10:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> That is true. When I was at my worst, I was having trouble with all of
>> the
>> muscles in my body. I once accidentally threw a sharp knife because I
>> lost
>> control of my fingers and apparently my arm. Because of this I was extra
>> careful and took things slowly.
>>
>> I guess I still do this now. Currently I seem to have a little Carpal
>> Tunnel acting up. I know how to deal with it. I should be off the
>> computer. Mousing and keyboarding are not good for it. But I am
>> addicted.

> For me it's my back. The tingling in my foot is getting worse and worse. I
> can't stand still for much time. My hip pops. Physical therapy hurt. I
> bought a massage chair. But I can't live in the chair.

I can't do any one thing for any length of time. Standing is bad. Sitting
is bad. I guess laying down doesn't usually cause any problems but
obviously you can't get much done like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:30:59 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 1/12/2011 9:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
>> length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on.

>It sounds like you're better now. I hadn't thought of a bar stool to
>sit on to help with food prep. I'm thinking about it now! Thanks!

My husband sits at the kitchen table to do the prep. He washes and
trims at the sink and then takes the stuff to table. I don't like
that because the height is wrong for me. Small amounts I do standing
at the counter. For large amounts, like 20 pounds of tomatoes, I put
a cutting board across the side of the sink with the garbage disposal,
pull up the kitchen stool and open the cabinet door under the sink and
put my feet in the cabinet. By opening the cabinet door I can get
close enough to work.

Most of the time I am not too picky about whether or not the veggies
are chopped in perfect little pieces, especially when they are going
into a cooking pot. I am more careful when doing a company salad.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:28:03 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Jan 12, 8:57*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > I'd be a lot faster then for all that practice!
>> > Peel the onion by cutting in half and pulling the outter thin layer with
>> > skin right off.
>> > You seem to enjoy your difficulties and are always resistant to doing
>> > things mroe effectively.

>From what I've read lately, I agree.
>

>> I don't like to cut it in half. *Why? *Because the little bits of root tend
>> to stick to the moist surface and then I have to pick them off. *I see many
>> chefs on TV doing this and it just makes me cringe. *Same goes for smashing
>> the garlic.

>You cut the roots off the onion first, then cut in half. You make
>things harder than they are.

'Zactly. And cut off the stem end too, cut in half and then peel. And
yes, I wash peeled onions before slicing, peeled garlic cloves get
washed too. These bulbs grow underground, they are always dirty, and
that tiny bit of dirt harbors botulism.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > I just realized I do
> >> not wash my garlic. Probably should.

> > LOL LOL LOL.. only you, Julie, only you! Thanks for the laugh!

> Whatever. I can't see the difference between that and an onion. And you
> *do* wash your onions. Right?

Nope. Maybe wetting the onion skin would make it easier (and faster) to
peel, though. Washing an onion before peeling it has never occurred
to me. The things one learns on rfc.
--
Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> washed too. These bulbs grow underground, they are always dirty, and
> that tiny bit of dirt harbors botulism.

Your eyes just got browner, Sheldon. I

The soil might harbor the clostridium botulinum bacterium that becomes
the botulism poison, but even *that* doesn't happen except under certain
conditions. You dork!

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:40:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> washed too. These bulbs grow underground, they are always dirty, and
>> that tiny bit of dirt harbors botulism.

>Your eyes just got browner, Sheldon. I
>
>The soil might harbor the clostridium botulinum bacterium that becomes
>the botulism poison, but even *that* doesn't happen except under certain
>conditions. You dork!

And you're plain wrong. It's rare for botulism to survive cooking but
when onions are cut raw there is very good opportunity for cross
contamination. And onions eaten raw in salads are responsible for
many a case of foodborne illness, especially from previously prepped
salads at restaurants... I never take raw onions at salad bars, and I
like raw onions. Green/spring onions are especially prone to carry
botulism... celery too. The thing is the majority of cases are too
minor to seek medical attention so they go unreported, but why spend a
miserable day hugging the terlit if it can be avoided by simply
washing all produce carefully. Very few wash produce as soon as they
bring it home, they just toss it all in the fridge... produce needs to
be washed before placing it in your fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 1:48*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:40:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>
> > wrote:
> >In article >,
> > Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> washed too. *These bulbs grow underground, they are always dirty, and
> >> that tiny bit of dirt harbors botulism.

> >Your eyes just got browner, Sheldon. *I

> >The soil might harbor the clostridium botulinum bacterium that becomes
> >the botulism poison, but even *that* doesn't happen except under certain
> >conditions. *You dork! * *

> And you're plain wrong. *It's rare for botulism to survive cooking but
> when onions are cut raw there is very good opportunity for cross
> contamination. *And onions eaten raw in salads are responsible for
> many a case of foodborne illness, especially from previously prepped
> salads at restaurants... I never take raw onions at salad bars, and I
> like raw onions. *Green/spring onions are especially prone to carry
> botulism... celery too. *The thing is the majority of cases are too
> minor to seek medical attention so they go unreported, but why spend a
> miserable day hugging the terlit if it can be avoided by simply
> washing all produce carefully. *Very few wash produce as soon as they
> bring it home, they just toss it all in the fridge... produce needs to
> be washed before placing it in your fridge.

Shel, I think you need to learn more about botulism. Here's
some info from http://www.medicinenet.com
(Hugging the terlit is not mentioned. Luckily, Clostridium
botulinum is an obligate anaerobe, so fresh produce is
rarely a source of botulism.)

The classic symptoms of botulism include double vision, blurred
vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry
mouth, and muscle weakness. Constipation may occur. The doctor's
examination may reveal that the gag reflex and the deep tendon
reflexes like the knee-jerk reflex are decreased or absent.

These are all symptoms of the muscle paralysis that is caused by the
bacterial neurotoxin. If untreated, these symptoms may progress to
cause paralysis in various parts of the body, often seen as a
descending paralysis of the arms, legs, trunk, and breathing muscles.

Botulinum neurotoxin is considered one of the most potent, lethal
substances known. As little as about 1 nanogram/kg can be lethal to an
individual, and scientists have estimated that about 1 gram could
potentially kill 1 million people. This small amount of toxin capable
of killing humans has made the toxin a candidate for use in weapons
for biowarfare and bioterrorism. All forms of botulism can be fatal
and are considered medical emergencies. Food-borne botulism can be
especially dangerous because many people can be poisoned by eating
even small amounts of neurotoxin-contaminated food. A botulism
outbreak is a public-health emergency that is reportable to the U.S.
government.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:42:07 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Jan 13, 1:48*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:40:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Your eyes just got browner, Sheldon. *I

>> >The soil might harbor the clostridium botulinum bacterium that becomes
>> >the botulism poison, but even *that* doesn't happen except under certain
>> >conditions. *You dork! * *

>> And you're plain wrong. *It's rare for botulism to survive cooking but
>> when onions are cut raw there is very good opportunity for cross
>> contamination. *And onions eaten raw in salads are responsible for
>> many a case of foodborne illness, especially from previously prepped
>> salads at restaurants... I never take raw onions at salad bars, and I
>> like raw onions. *Green/spring onions are especially prone to carry
>> botulism... celery too. *The thing is the majority of cases are too
>> minor to seek medical attention so they go unreported, but why spend a
>> miserable day hugging the terlit if it can be avoided by simply
>> washing all produce carefully. *Very few wash produce as soon as they
>> bring it home, they just toss it all in the fridge... produce needs to
>> be washed before placing it in your fridge.

>Shel, I think you need to learn more about botulism.
>fresh produce is rarely a source of botulism.)

Is that why folks are warned not to store garlic, onions, etc. in oil?

Cindy, I think you need to learn more about cleanliness.

<verbose alibi re why you don't bathe snipped>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 11:36*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > "Goomba" > wrote in message
> > > Julie Bove wrote:
> > > * I just realized I do

> > > LOL LOL LOL.. only you, Julie, only you! Thanks for the laugh!

> > Whatever. *I can't see the difference between that and an onion. *And you
> > *do* wash your onions. *Right?

> Nope. *Maybe wetting the onion skin would make it easier (and faster) to
> peel, though. * *Washing an onion before peeling it has never occurred
> to me. *The things one learns on rfc. *

This discussion makes me wonder about citrus fruits. I never wash
them. Should they be washed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:58:39 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Jan 13, 11:36*am, Melba's Jammin' >
>wrote:
>> In article >,
>> *"Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Whatever. *I can't see the difference between that and an onion. *And you
>> > *do* wash your onions. *Right?

>> Nope. *Maybe wetting the onion skin would make it easier (and faster) to
>> peel, though. * *Washing an onion before peeling it has never occurred
>> to me. *The things one learns on rfc. *

>This discussion makes me wonder about citrus fruits. I never wash
>them. Should they be washed?

Absolutely. They're typically subjected to insecticides, plus they're
just plain dirty from handling. As one peels/cuts them the schmutz
from the exterior is dragged into the interior. And if as many eat
citrus by sucking on wedges I can offer you much sweeter juicier fare
to wrap your lips around. I always wash citrus before it goes into my
fridge, I don't want scummy citrus to touch my Crystal Palace... now
that I think about it it's time... would you care to join me for a
long one?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 4:16*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >This discussion makes me wonder about citrus fruits. *I never wash
> >them. *Should they be washed?

> Absolutely. *They're typically subjected to insecticides, plus they're
> just plain dirty from handling. *As one peels/cuts them the schmutz
> from the exterior is dragged into the interior. *And if as many eat
> citrus by sucking on wedges I can offer you much sweeter juicier fare
> to wrap your lips around. *I always wash citrus before it goes into my
> fridge, I don't want scummy citrus to touch my Crystal Palace... now
> that I think about it it's time... would you care to join me for a
> long one?

Cheers : D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:42:07 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Jan 13, 1:48*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:40:59 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> >> And you're plain wrong. *It's rare for botulism to survive cooking but
> >> when onions are cut raw there is very good opportunity for cross
> >> contamination. *And onions eaten raw in salads are responsible for
> >> many a case of foodborne illness, especially from previously prepped
> >> salads at restaurants... I never take raw onions at salad bars, and I
> >> like raw onions. *Green/spring onions are especially prone to carry
> >> botulism... celery too. *The thing is the majority of cases are too
> >> minor to seek medical attention so they go unreported, but why spend a
> >> miserable day hugging the terlit if it can be avoided by simply
> >> washing all produce carefully. *Very few wash produce as soon as they
> >> bring it home, they just toss it all in the fridge... produce needs to
> >> be washed before placing it in your fridge.

> >Shel, I think you need to learn more about botulism.
> >fresh produce is rarely a source of botulism.)

> Is that why folks are warned not to store garlic, onions, etc. in oil?

Yes.
For the toxin to develop requires an anaerobic environment. That's why
simply having a vacuum seal on a jar of home-canned green beans isn't
enough to render it safe; that is the environment necessary for the
bacteria to develop the toxin. The high heat of pressure canning is
required to safely process plain (as opposed to pickled) vegetables.

Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On Jan 13, 11:36*am, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > Whatever. *I can't see the difference between that and an onion. *And you
> > > *do* wash your onions. *Right?

> > Nope. *Maybe wetting the onion skin would make it easier (and faster) to
> > peel, though. * *Washing an onion before peeling it has never occurred
> > to me. *The things one learns on rfc. *

> This discussion makes me wonder about citrus fruits. I never wash
> them. Should they be washed?

Won't hurt. Sometimes I do, sometimes I do not.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick wrote:

> This discussion makes me wonder about citrus fruits. I never wash
> them. Should they be washed?

I always wash my lemons to get any wax off the peel when making
limoncello. I also wash the lemons I am going to slice for iced tea.
For just plain juicing or eating out of hand, I do not.