Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blueberry pie

Not one to quit after only one pie, I jes bought a qt of fresh
blueberries. This time I'll use bleached AP flour. A couple of
questions, after googling a buncha diff BB recipes:

1. Flour or corn starch? Ol' BC recommends flour, but Gold Medal is
their primary product. The picture on Simply Recipes looks gorgeous
cuz of the corn startch. Which will actually enhance the natural
flavor of the berries?

2. How many berries is enough? I've seen recipes for 3, 4, and 6 cups
of blueberries. I figure is 4 C was enough for my blackberry pie,
shouldn't it be enough for a blueberry pie?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

?
"notbob" > wrote in message
> Not one to quit after only one pie, I jes bought a qt of fresh
> blueberries. This time I'll use bleached AP flour. A couple of
> questions, after googling a buncha diff BB recipes:
>
> 1. Flour or corn starch? Ol' BC recommends flour, but Gold Medal is
> their primary product. The picture on Simply Recipes looks gorgeous
> cuz of the corn startch. Which will actually enhance the natural
> flavor of the berries?

Tapioca powder works well. Give a nice appearance too.

4 cups is about right on the berries. I've seen commercial pies with little
fruit and lots of cheap starches to make a filling , but serious pies have
lots of good fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/01/2011 1:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> 1. Flour or corn starch? Ol' BC recommends flour, but Gold Medal is
>> their primary product. The picture on Simply Recipes looks gorgeous
>> cuz of the corn startch. Which will actually enhance the natural
>> flavor of the berries?

> Tapioca powder works well. Give a nice appearance too.
>
> 4 cups is about right on the berries. I've seen commercial pies with
> little fruit and lots of cheap starches to make a filling , but serious
> pies have lots of good fruit.

I prefer to go light on the fruit when making a berry pie. I love
berries, but a few go a long way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-09, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> Tapioca powder works well. Give a nice appearance too.

I bought tapioca pwdr cuz lotsa blackberry pie recipes recommended it, but I
haven't seen one for blueberry. The tapioca box shows measurments for
blueberry pie. Just go by the box?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

?
"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2011-01-09, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> Tapioca powder works well. Give a nice appearance too.

> I bought tapioca pwdr cuz lotsa blackberry pie recipes recommended it, but
> haven't seen one for blueberry. The tapioca box shows measurments for
> blueberry pie. Just go by the box?
>
> nb

That should work well, after a while you get a feel for a little more or
less.