Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3

Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat, added
some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee disolved and I
got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries and
times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to console us
for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,

Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:

I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

Caramel Collins!

It would probably be pretty good in a whiskey sour.

Bob

Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 03:46:05 GMT, Aussie
wrote:

Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3

Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat, added
some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee disolved and I
got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

wrote:

Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3

Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat,
added some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee
disolved and I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Nope, Tom Collins.........

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19266/tom+collins

and here's a video to show the same recipe......

http://www.5min.com/Video/Tom-Collin...ecipe-97592664

Here's the 'Uncle' bit.......

http://stelliesjol.com/2010/08/28/uncle-tom-collins/

I don't use 'icing sugar'..... I use sugar syrup.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 03:46:05 GMT, Aussie
wrote:

-snip-
disolved and I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Nope, Tom Collins.........

Didn't think it would translate.g In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19266/tom+collins

That's the way I like mine-- but I'll wait until July to have one up
here.
-snip-

Here's the 'Uncle' bit.......

http://stelliesjol.com/2010/08/28/uncle-tom-collins/

I don't use 'icing sugar'..... I use sugar syrup.

[but a dark one this time around]

I don't see why that one is dark-- gin, lemon and icing sugar should
still leave it clear. [icing sugar *is* what we call confectioners in
the USA, right?]

Jim

Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Nope, Tom Collins.........

Didn't think it would translate.g In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a Tom
Collins???

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Didn't think it would translate.g In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a Tom
Collins???

Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared. You
are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .

Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
m:

Aussie wrote:

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly
:-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Didn't think it would translate.g In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is
a black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by
sucking up to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book
Lincoln credits with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a
Tom Collins???

Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared. You
are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .

Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.

Jim

he's a little slow jim.
i think it's safe in assuming everyone else got the humor.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

skeeter wrote:

-snip-

he's a little slow jim.
i think it's safe in assuming everyone else got the humor.

I doubt 'Uncle tom' is as familiar to him as it might be to us. I'll
bet he understands all the verses in Waltzing Matilda. I have to
read the explanations every decade or so.

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

skeeter wrote in news:[email protected]
198.186.190.162:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

[...]

The subject was about making a cocktail called a Tom Collins, numnuts.

Bringing racial slurs into it was unwarranted, and you advocating the use
of it shows what a ****wit you are.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Aussie wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
m:

Aussie wrote:

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly

:-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Didn't think it would translate.g In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a

Tom
Collins???

Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared.

Jim, recently you have counselled people (including myself) on everything
from post content to .sig's.

Taking the original content of the post (about cocktails) 'off topic' and
adding racial slurs which you then try to pass off as "humour" is not
warranted, so I would appreciate it in future if you stuck to the subject
at hand. Thank you.

You
are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .

Nope, I made a traditional Tom Collins with a sugar syrup that was yellow
in colour...... it has the same hue as a 15yo Riesling.

Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.

It did, and it is.

Old 14-01-2011, 08:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Captain Peter Swallows got all bitchy:

Taking the original content of the post (about cocktails) 'off topic' and
adding racial slurs which you then try to pass off as "humour" is not
warranted, so I would appreciate it in future if you stuck to the subject
at hand. Thank you.

Don't worry about it, Jim. Peter's just ****ed off because she didn't
understand what you wrote. Also, she's starting her period again for the
fifth time in 48 hours!

Bob

Perishability of sugar syrup? Adam Funk[_2_] Winemaking 4 12-10-2008 09:49 PM
Sugar syrup PanHandler Recipes 0 29-12-2005 05:49 PM
Storing Sugar Syrup Von Fourche General Cooking 0 29-07-2005 05:03 AM
Sugar-free syrup Sherry Diabetic 23 20-11-2004 06:59 PM
Making Sugar Syrup Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 9 27-06-2004 06:26 PM