FoodBanter.com

-   -   When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'.... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/404011-when-making-sugar-syrup.html)

Aussie[_4_] 09-01-2011 03:46 AM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3

http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3

Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat, added
some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee disolved and I
got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.

Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"The joys of the table belong equally to all ages, conditions, countries and
times; they mix with all other pleasures, and remain the last to console us
for their loss."
Jean Antheleme Brillet-Savarin,

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 09-01-2011 04:11 AM

Wayne wrote:

>> I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.
>>
>> Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)
>>

> Caramel Collins!

It would probably be pretty good in a whiskey sour.

Bob

Jim Elbrecht 09-01-2011 12:36 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 03:46:05 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

>Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)
>

>http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3
>

>http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3
>

>Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat, added
>some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee disolved and I
>got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.
>
>Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Jim

Aussie[_4_] 09-01-2011 01:19 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 03:46:05 GMT, Aussie
> > wrote:
>
>>Make sure you keep and eye on it and don't let it turn into toffee ;-)
>>

>>http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpt/3
>>

>>http://tinypic.com/m/dyagpu/3
>>

>>Instead of chucking it and starting again, I just put it on a low heat,
>>added some more water anmd stirred like all buggery till the toffee
>>disolved and I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.
>>
>>Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

> I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
> you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.

Nope, Tom Collins.........

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19266/tom+collins

and here's a video to show the same recipe......

http://www.5min.com/Video/Tom-Collin...ecipe-97592664

Here's the 'Uncle' bit.......

http://stelliesjol.com/2010/08/28/uncle-tom-collins/

I don't use 'icing sugar'..... I use sugar syrup.

Jim Elbrecht 09-01-2011 01:39 PM

:

>> On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 03:46:05 GMT, Aussie
>> > wrote:

-snip-
>>>disolved and I got it back to a rather dark coloured syrup.
>>>
>>>Should be interesting in the Tom Collins I'm going to make shortly :-)

>> I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
>> you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.
>>

>Nope, Tom Collins.........

Didn't think it would translate.<g> In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

>http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19266/tom+collins

That's the way I like mine-- but I'll wait until July to have one up
here.
-snip-

>Here's the 'Uncle' bit.......
>
>http://stelliesjol.com/2010/08/28/uncle-tom-collins/
>

>I don't use 'icing sugar'..... I use sugar syrup.

[but a dark one this time around]

I don't see why that one is dark-- gin, lemon and icing sugar should
still leave it clear. [icing sugar *is* what we call confectioners in
the USA, right?]

Jim

Aussie[_4_] 09-01-2011 01:47 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
:

>>> I don't know how this will translate to Australian-- but perhaps
>>> you're making an 'Uncle' Tom Collins.
>>>

>>Nope, Tom Collins.........

> Didn't think it would translate.<g> In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
> black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
> to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
> with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a Tom
Collins???

Jim Elbrecht 09-01-2011 02:54 PM

:

>> Didn't think it would translate.<g> In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
>> black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
>> to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
>> with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

>I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a Tom
>Collins???

Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared. You
are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .

Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.

Jim

skeeter[_12_] 09-01-2011 03:32 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
:

> Aussie > wrote:
>
>>Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
m:

>>> Didn't think it would translate.<g> In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is
>>> a black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by
>>> sucking up to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book
>>> Lincoln credits with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

>>I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a
>>Tom Collins???

> Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared. You
> are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .
>
> Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.
>
> Jim

he's a little slow jim.
i think it's safe in assuming everyone else got the humor.

Jim Elbrecht 09-01-2011 06:23 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

skeeter > wrote:

-snip-

>he's a little slow jim.
> i think it's safe in assuming everyone else got the humor.

I doubt 'Uncle tom' is as familiar to him as it might be to us. I'll
bet he understands all the verses in Waltzing Matilda. I have to
read the explanations every decade or so.

Jim

Aussie[_4_] 09-01-2011 10:06 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

skeeter > wrote in news:Xns9E686ADEAF6D7nospamnet@
198.186.190.162:

:

>>>I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a
>>>Tom Collins???

>> Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared. You
>> are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .
>>
>> Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> he's a little slow jim.
> i think it's safe in assuming everyone else got the humor.

The subject was about making a cocktail called a Tom Collins, numnuts.

Bringing racial slurs into it was unwarranted, and you advocating the use
of it shows what a ****wit you are.

Aussie[_4_] 09-01-2011 10:15 PM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
:

> Aussie > wrote:
>
>>Jim Elbrecht > wrote in
m:

:-)

>>> Didn't think it would translate.<g> In USA'n, an 'Uncle Tom' is a
>>> black American who is perceived to be betraying his race by sucking up
>>> to 'the white man'. The term comes from the book Lincoln credits
>>> with starting our civil war- "Uncle Tom's Cabin'.

>>I have to ask........ what the *hell* has that got to do with making a

Tom
>>Collins???

> Guess it was a worse attempt at a humorous name than I had feared.

Jim, recently you have counselled people (including myself) on everything
from post content to .sig's.

Taking the original content of the post (about cocktails) 'off topic' and
adding racial slurs which you then try to pass off as "humour" is not
warranted, so I would appreciate it in future if you stuck to the subject
at hand. Thank you.

> You
> are making a *dark* Tom. One that is not traditional.. . . .

Nope, I made a traditional Tom Collins with a sugar syrup that was yellow
in colour...... it has the same hue as a 15yo Riesling.

> Oh well-- it probably tastes good & that is really all that matters.

It did, and it is.

Bob Terwilliger[_1_] 14-01-2011 08:42 AM

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'....

Captain Peter Swallows got all bitchy:

> Taking the original content of the post (about cocktails) 'off topic' and
> adding racial slurs which you then try to pass off as "humour" is not
> warranted, so I would appreciate it in future if you stuck to the subject
> at hand. Thank you.

Don't worry about it, Jim. Peter's just ****ed off because she didn't
understand what you wrote. Also, she's starting her period again for the
fifth time in 48 hours!

Bob