Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bleached vs unbleached AP flour

Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
how, say, a pie crust will turn out?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/01/2011 2:25 PM, notbob wrote:
> Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
> how, say, a pie crust will turn out?

I switched to unbleached flour a few years ago and have never noticed
any problems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2011 19:25:45 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
>how, say, a pie crust will turn out?
>
>nb

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...leached-flour/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 4, 11:25*am, notbob > wrote:
> Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
> how, say, a pie crust will turn out?
>
> nb

no difference in performance..... I switched to unbleached simply
because I don't like the idea of 'bleached' foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-01-04, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...leached-flour/

Wow! I had no idea it was that complex.

A good resource to bookmark. Thnx.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 2:37*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jan 4, 11:25*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
> > how, say, a pie crust will turn out?

> > nb

> no difference in performance..... * I switched to unbleached simply
> because I don't like the idea of 'bleached' foods.

I bought 'best for blending flour' (Robin Hood) on sale. I don't make
a lot of pastry, but when I rolled out my quiche dough using this, it
was horrible. Guess it's only good for gravies and stuff. Who knew?
Not me!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:37:40 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 11:25*am, notbob > wrote:
> > Other than color, is there any significant difference in the two and
> > how, say, a pie crust will turn out?
> >
> > nb

> no difference in performance..... I switched to unbleached simply
> because I don't like the idea of 'bleached' foods.

and unbleached flour bleaches naturally when it sits long enough. In
fact, my hair is bleaching naturally as we speak. Some people might
say it's turning gray, but I will put a positive spin on the process
today.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), lainie >
wrote:

> I bought 'best for blending flour' (Robin Hood) on sale. I don't make
> a lot of pastry, but when I rolled out my quiche dough using this, it
> was horrible. Guess it's only good for gravies and stuff. Who knew?
> Not me!

Is that anything like "Wondra"? The grind is different. They call it
"instantized" and say to use it in sauces and gravy in big letters on
the carton.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 3:01*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), lainie >
> wrote:
>
> > I bought 'best for blending flour' (Robin Hood) on sale. *I don't make
> > a lot of pastry, but when I rolled out my quiche dough using this, it
> > was horrible. *Guess it's only good for gravies and stuff. *Who knew?
> > Not me!

> Is that anything like "Wondra"? *The grind is different. *They call it
> "instantized" and say to use it in sauces and gravy in big letters on
> the carton.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

"For Easier Blending with Less Clumping". No big letters and it was
packaged the same as the other flour I bought (2.5 kg). I'll have to
make a lot of gravy to use this up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:09:56 -0800 (PST), lainie >
wrote:

> On Jan 4, 3:01*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), lainie >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I bought 'best for blending flour' (Robin Hood) on sale. *I don't make
> > > a lot of pastry, but when I rolled out my quiche dough using this, it
> > > was horrible. *Guess it's only good for gravies and stuff. *Who knew?
> > > Not me!

> > Is that anything like "Wondra"? *The grind is different. *They call it
> > "instantized" and say to use it in sauces and gravy in big letters on
> > the carton.
> >

> "For Easier Blending with Less Clumping". No big letters and it was
> packaged the same as the other flour I bought (2.5 kg). I'll have to
> make a lot of gravy to use this up.

I hate it when they "trick" you like that. Take it back and tell the
store it's makes terrible pastry!

They do say "Recommended for making: sauces & gravies" here, but they
went through a lot of other talk that lead me to believe differently
before they got to it.
http://www.robinhood.ca/product.deta...192&prodcid=44
I think Wondra is more upfront and honest about what it's formulated
to be used for.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.