Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I used beef shank

meat to make a goulash yesterday. It was very tasty. The meat needed
about 3 hours to become tender at a slow simmer. The meat is a bit
more pricey than regular stew meat here. It costs $2.99 per pound,
but includes bone. The challenge is to get a piece of shank which has
a high meat to bone ratio. I simmered the bone along with the
goulash. I didn't use any stock, beef or any other base, or MSG, and
it turned out to be very flavorful. I can usually get regular stew
beef at $2.99, but I think the shank is better. The liquid was
water. Paprika, cayenne, and salt for spices. I had run out of herbs
late last year and didn't replenish them. Lots of onions, garlic, red
sweet pepper, peeled fresh tomato. Had I used red wine as a liquid,
my guests would have stayed until 2012.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 6:38*am, Wayne > wrote:
> meat to make a goulash yesterday. *It was very tasty. *The meat needed
> about 3 hours to become tender at a slow simmer. *The meat is a bit
> more pricey than regular stew meat here. *It costs $2.99 per pound,
> but includes bone. *The challenge is to get a piece of shank which has
> a high meat to bone ratio. *I simmered the bone along with the
> goulash. *I didn't use any stock, beef or any other base, or MSG, and
> it turned out to be very flavorful. *I can usually get regular stew
> beef at $2.99, but I think the shank is better. *The liquid was
> water. *Paprika, cayenne, and salt for spices. *I had run out of herbs
> late last year and didn't replenish them. *Lots of onions, garlic, red
> sweet pepper, peeled fresh tomato. *Had I used red wine as a liquid,
> my guests would have stayed until 2012.

If only we could them at that price here! We pay more than twice that
for "shin fillet" which is what we call them here when the bone is
removed, and the same when they have the bone in. I prefer them bone-
in, if only because you get a bit of marrow to make the stew richer.

They are really good material for pressure-cookers as well.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 8:57*pm, Lyndon Watson > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 6:38*am, Wayne > wrote:
>
> > meat to make a goulash yesterday. *It was very tasty. *The meat needed
> > about 3 hours to become tender at a slow simmer. *The meat is a bit
> > more pricey than regular stew meat here. *It costs $2.99 per pound,
> > but includes bone. *The challenge is to get a piece of shank which has
> > a high meat to bone ratio. *I simmered the bone along with the
> > goulash. *I didn't use any stock, beef or any other base, or MSG, and
> > it turned out to be very flavorful. *I can usually get regular stew
> > beef at $2.99, but I think the shank is better. *The liquid was
> > water. *Paprika, cayenne, and salt for spices. *I had run out of herbs
> > late last year and didn't replenish them. *Lots of onions, garlic, red
> > sweet pepper, peeled fresh tomato. *Had I used red wine as a liquid,
> > my guests would have stayed until 2012.

> If only we could them at that price here! *We pay more than twice that
> for "shin fillet" which is what we call them here when the bone is
> removed, and the same when they have the bone in. *I prefer them bone-
> in, if only because you get a bit of marrow to make the stew richer.
>
> They are really good material for pressure-cookers as well.
>
> LW

The price that I got them at is rock bottom for this area. It's
offered at an independent grocer. This store also offers bottom
sirloin for $3.99. That's a cut I don't see much of.
Yesterday, I checked out prices at a chain store, and they were asking
$5.49 for bone in beef shank. I think that's ridiculous. The piece
that I looked at was mostly bone.

Boiled BBQ Shank Bread Basket[_11_] Barbecue 0 29-11-2015 10:56 PM
Pork Shank Star Bread ˜† General Cooking 0 17-02-2015 11:33 PM
ham shank end? tutall Barbecue 1 05-12-2013 04:41 PM
NYC Lamb Shank Recipe? Joe General Cooking 3 03-07-2004 11:32 PM