Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sittin' Home with a Bowl of Shrimp...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Me, I could sit all night peeling and eating shrimp, and cutting up a
> few for the kits. :-)

My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.
They loved to eat them, but I learned that seafood
of any kind is not really good cat food. Once,
I worked in an office in which my boss was telling
me about the woes of his wife's cat, who couldn't
keep down any tuna following a serious operation.
I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
feed to a sick cat. Best is lamb, followed by
turkey. There was a deli nearby, and I suggested
simple baked turkey, with no BBQ sauce or anything.

He went over there, bought the turkey, and later
told me it was like a miracle. The cat was able
to keep down the turkey. Unfortunately, the cat
did ultimately die of its illness.

The operation was a declawing operation. Apparently,
the problem was an overdose of the anaesthetic.
I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
own cats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2010 6:27 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> He went over there, bought the turkey, and later
> told me it was like a miracle. The cat was able
> to keep down the turkey. Unfortunately, the cat
> did ultimately die of its illness.

Sorry to hear that. Turkey can keep a cat eating at least something and
it isn't unhealthy. Actually, not eating anything is unhealthy so
getting anything in is good.

> The operation was a declawing operation. Apparently,
> the problem was an overdose of the anaesthetic.
> I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
> feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
> own cats.

Exactly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

>My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.
>They loved to eat them, but I learned that seafood
>of any kind is not really good cat food. Once,
>I worked in an office in which my boss was telling
>me about the woes of his wife's cat, who couldn't
>keep down any tuna following a serious operation.
>I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
>feed to a sick cat. Best is lamb, followed by
>turkey. There was a deli nearby, and I suggested
>simple baked turkey, with no BBQ sauce or anything.
>
>He went over there, bought the turkey, and later
>told me it was like a miracle. The cat was able
>to keep down the turkey. Unfortunately, the cat
>did ultimately die of its illness.

I hope these people get blacklisted by the cat adoption
agencies.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote
> Mark Thorson wrote:

>>told me it was like a miracle. The cat was able
>>to keep down the turkey. Unfortunately, the cat
>>did ultimately die of its illness.

> I hope these people get blacklisted by the cat adoption
> agencies.

Probably won't be Steve. Too many unwanted kitties. They do 'frown
heavily' on declawing, and locally they pretty much show the declawing
community only the ones already declawed.

Me, I'd never do it but then, I've never found it hard to teach a cat to be
polite with their claws either and I work mostly with older feral rescues.
Usually when you have difficult clawing issues, it's the kitten taken from
Mom too young in a 'kitten farm' type place or the dumb owner who doesnt
want to spay 'Pookie' so keeps offering up kittens early.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/10 4:53 PM, cshenk wrote:

> Probably won't be Steve. Too many unwanted kitties.

Our city Humane Society put down 2500+ cats this year. That isn't
counting the county people, or all the little towns. I feel like singing
"Spay and Neuter" to the tune of "Duck....and Cover".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" wrote
> Mark Thorson wrote:

>> He went over there, bought the turkey, and later
>> told me it was like a miracle. The cat was able
>> to keep down the turkey. Unfortunately, the cat
>> did ultimately die of its illness.

> Sorry to hear that. Turkey can keep a cat eating at least something and
> it isn't unhealthy. Actually, not eating anything is unhealthy so getting
> anything in is good.

Yup. BTW, nothing wrong with feeding a cat a little shrimp. It's just not
good to make any type of seafood their mainstay. General rule of thumb is
no more than 30% should be seafood based. In my case I never use tuna but
then oddly, I've never had a cat that will eat the kitty canned tuna
versions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" wrote

>> I hope these people get blacklisted by the cat adoption
>> agencies.

>Probably won't be Steve. Too many unwanted kitties. They do 'frown
>heavily' on declawing, and locally they pretty much show the declawing
>community only the ones already declawed.
>
>Me, I'd never do it but then, I've never found it hard to teach a cat to be
>polite with their claws either and I work mostly with older feral rescues.
>Usually when you have difficult clawing issues, it's the kitten taken from
>Mom too young in a 'kitten farm' type place or the dumb owner who doesnt
>want to spay 'Pookie' so keeps offering up kittens early.

We've never had a real problem either. A couple months ago one of
the cats suddenly started clawing one of the nicer rugs, but with some
very minor persuasion and placing down a couple more scratching stations
she completely stopped doing it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Me, I could sit all night peeling and eating shrimp, and cutting up a
>> few for the kits. :-)

> My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.

My (only) cat Persia can't stand shrimp. She doesn't like fish of any kind.
I never understood people recommending for cats who are not eating "give
them tuna" or "give them shrimp". I can tell you, if I don't feel good I
don't yell, "SHRIMP!"

> I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
> feed to a sick cat.

People-food tuna doesn't contain enough taurine to sustain a cat for a long
time. I don't care if it's on sale... it cannot be used as primary cat
food. A treat, maybe. Having said that, Persia hates tuna. LOL

> I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
> feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
> own cats.

I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner front-declawed
her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that important.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blacksalt" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Probably won't be Steve. Too many unwanted kitties.

> Our city Humane Society put down 2500+ cats this year. That isn't counting
> the county people, or all the little towns. I feel like singing "Spay and
> Neuter" to the tune of "Duck....and Cover".

I agree, and when a facility gets to that stage, I'd feel better at saving
one even if the idiot owners insist on a frontal declaw. A difficult choice
with no perfect answer other than education. It's not necessary except the
rare medical situation where 1 or 2 claws/paws may be malformed, and then
you just do the ones that need it. Polydactyls sometimes have a malformed
non-retractable claw that can grow inward and puncture the paws. Thats
totally different and you fix that one toe for the cat's own well being.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>>Me, I'd never do it but then, I've never found it hard to teach a cat to
>>be
>>polite with their claws either and I work mostly with older feral rescues.

> We've never had a real problem either. A couple months ago one of
> the cats suddenly started clawing one of the nicer rugs, but with some
> very minor persuasion and placing down a couple more scratching stations
> she completely stopped doing it.

Daisy-chan is an odd one. I can't get her interested in scratching
stations. Thats ok, she uses the rug and mine was bought with kitty use in
mind so while pretty, it's also substantial and can handle it. She's about
my 25th kitty maybe (I've been a foster many times for older ones, many of
which I found homes for so don't be shocked at the number). With Daisy-chan
though I can't foster any other cats so now it's beagles of which we have 2,
one of them as of only a month ago aged 10-12.

Daisy-chan loves dogs and hates all other cats. She's estimated 8YO with 6
feral (true wild though may have had a few months in a home before that) and
18 months in foster care (2 months caged, 5 foster homes) before we found
her in early 2008 and took her home. She wasn't listed as feral but it's
really obvious if you've had experience retraining one that she was. Thats
why so many fosters (about every 12 weeks with a history of complete hiding
for the first 10). She's fine now, even prone to lap kitty behavior.

The only scratching post she will use is a log and I got tired of all the
bark on the floor! In summer though she has them on the enclosed porch and
uses that by preference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Me, I could sit all night peeling and eating shrimp, and cutting up a
>>> few for the kits. :-)

>> My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.

> My (only) cat Persia can't stand shrimp. She doesn't like fish of any
> kind. I never understood people recommending for cats who are not
> eating "give them tuna" or "give them shrimp". I can tell you, if I
> don't feel good I don't yell, "SHRIMP!"
>
>> I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
>> feed to a sick cat.

> People-food tuna doesn't contain enough taurine to sustain a cat for a
> long time. I don't care if it's on sale... it cannot be used as
> primary cat food. A treat, maybe. Having said that, Persia hates
> tuna. LOL
>
>> I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
>> feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
>> own cats.

> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not
> that important.
>
> Jill

Mine is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote
> "Mark Thorson" wrote
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Me, I could sit all night peeling and eating shrimp, and cutting up a
>>> few for the kits. :-)

>> My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.

> My (only) cat Persia can't stand shrimp. She doesn't like fish of any
> kind. I never understood people recommending for cats who are not eating
> "give them tuna" or "give them shrimp". I can tell you, if I don't feel
> good I don't yell, "SHRIMP!"

Hehe every cat is a bit different. Daisy-chan isnt fond of beef (but will
eat it happily if not offered too often). A lot of cats though will take
the water from a human type tuna can with glee. Not done too often, it's a
good source of omega-3 which they need.

>> I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
>> feed to a sick cat.

> People-food tuna doesn't contain enough taurine to sustain a cat for a
> long time. I don't care if it's on sale... it cannot be used as primary
> cat food. A treat, maybe. Having said that, Persia hates tuna. LOL

Yup, no human foods do unless you get very carefully specific with organ
meat types. As an occasional treat though, it's harmless to let them have a
meal of something with no taurine.

>> I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
>> feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
>> own cats.

> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that
> important.

Same here. 2 of my rescues were declawed front and back by an idiot owner
who then decided to have them put to sleep because the wife was pregnant and
developed an allergy (I suspect the allergy was to changing kitty litter
which he wasnt willing to do). It was not a properly done job and the vet I
used tried to have him taken for animal cruelty but they skipped town or I
was never given the real address and name. Vet suspected the guy did it
himself with human toenail clippers. 800$ later (100$ a foot and that was
at cost plus I suspect his team chipped in some as that was all I could
muster back then) they got the best fix possible. I found them both homes,
one just down the street from my house and when I came back stateside, Thom
was still there.

I really hate declawing after that experience.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L G" wrote
> jmcquown wrote:

>> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
>> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that
>> important.

> Mine is.

Um which? Your cat is declawed or your furniture is that important to you?

Either way, should it come up again (assumption is if you have a cat it is
declawed now), ask one of us how to train a cat to not claw the furniture.
There's several ways to go about it. Just be sure you don't get a kitten
removed from 'Momma cat' before 16 weeks of age bare minimum. Momma cat
actually imprints them with most of the clawing control factor especially
weeks 12-16.

The average cat can be trained pretty fast to use clawing stations. There
are even sprays that both attract clawing behavior and ones that are like
'cat away' that used in combination can be quite effective within just a day
or so.

LOL! I have a feral cat and a SILK covered sofa. Both the cat and the sofa
are fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 20:00:12 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> Me, I could sit all night peeling and eating shrimp, and cutting up a
>>> few for the kits. :-)

>> My cats always threw up any shrimp they were given.

> My (only) cat Persia can't stand shrimp. She doesn't like fish of any kind.
> I never understood people recommending for cats who are not eating "give
> them tuna" or "give them shrimp". I can tell you, if I don't feel good I
> don't yell, "SHRIMP!"
>
>> I told him tuna is one of the worst foods you can
>> feed to a sick cat.

> People-food tuna doesn't contain enough taurine to sustain a cat for a long
> time. I don't care if it's on sale... it cannot be used as primary cat
> food. A treat, maybe. Having said that, Persia hates tuna. LOL
>
>> I can't imagine declawing a cat myself. If you
>> feel that a cat should be declawed, you shouldn't
>> own cats.

> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner front-declawed
> her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that important.
>
> Jill

tell about your cat, persia.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote
>> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
>> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that
>> important.

> Same here. 2 of my rescues were declawed front and back by an idiot owner
> who then decided to have them put to sleep because the wife was pregnant
> and developed an allergy (I suspect the allergy was to changing kitty
> litter which he wasnt willing to do).

(snippage)

Years ago I had a neighbor with a toddler, he was pre-school age. She told
me he loved seeing Persia sit in the front window of my apartment. The boy
wanted a kitty of his own. But she said, "I'm pregnant and we can't have a
cat because it might smother the baby." Excuse me?! What kind of lame
excuse is that? Is this the old "cats suck the breath out of babies" myth?
Close the frigging door to the nursery and use a baby monitor! I felt so
sorry for that poor little boy who looked whistfully at my cat. The baby
wasn't even born yet and already he was playing second fiddle. (sigh)

OB Food: Spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. Time to cook the pasta!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
>> front-declawed
>> her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not that important.
>>
>> Jill

> tell about your cat, persia.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Tell what?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2011 4:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> OB Food: Spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. Time to cook the pasta!

I actually cooked a rib roast tonight. Turned out perfectly. Just 2
ribs, but very thick ones. Got leftovers to figure out what to do with
tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2011 6:32 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 1/1/2011 4:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> OB Food: Spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. Time to cook the pasta!

> I actually cooked a rib roast tonight. Turned out perfectly. Just 2
> ribs, but very thick ones. Got leftovers to figure out what to do with
> tomorrow.

Oh yum! I want another rib roast, it was so good! I think that's going
to be our special occasion go-to meat from now on.

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "jmcquown" wrote
>>> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
>>> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not
>>> that important.

>> Same here. 2 of my rescues were declawed front and back by an idiot
>> owner who then decided to have them put to sleep because the wife was
>> pregnant and developed an allergy (I suspect the allergy was to
>> changing kitty litter which he wasnt willing to do).

> (snippage)
>
> Years ago I had a neighbor with a toddler, he was pre-school age. She
> told me he loved seeing Persia sit in the front window of my
> apartment. The boy wanted a kitty of his own. But she said, "I'm
> pregnant and we can't have a cat because it might smother the baby."
> Excuse me?! What kind of lame excuse is that? Is this the old "cats
> suck the breath out of babies" myth? Close the frigging door to the
> nursery and use a baby monitor! I felt so sorry for that poor little
> boy who looked whistfully at my cat. The baby wasn't even born yet
> and already he was playing second fiddle. (sigh)
>
> OB Food: Spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. Time to cook the pasta!
>
> Jill

Did you have a cat when your kid(s) were born?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "L G" wrote
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I completely agree with that. My cat Persia's previous owner
>>> front-declawed her. I wouldn't have done that. My furniture is not
>>> that important.

>> Mine is.

> Um which? Your cat is declawed or your furniture is that important to
> you?
>
> Either way, should it come up again (assumption is if you have a cat
> it is declawed now), ask one of us how to train a cat to not claw the
> furniture. There's several ways to go about it. Just be sure you
> don't get a kitten removed from 'Momma cat' before 16 weeks of age
> bare minimum. Momma cat actually imprints them with most of the
> clawing control factor especially weeks 12-16.
>
> The average cat can be trained pretty fast to use clawing stations.
> There are even sprays that both attract clawing behavior and ones that
> are like 'cat away' that used in combination can be quite effective
> within just a day or so.
>
> LOL! I have a feral cat and a SILK covered sofa. Both the cat and
> the sofa are fine.

We got them from the Humane Society. I have no idea what their
interaction was with their mother. Since we both work, declawing the
front paws was the best option. Some might say it's cruel but they were
3-4 months old and didn't end up in the freezer at the HS.

How can I get them to stop chewing wires? They like the smaller speaker
wires, fortunately. The larger AC wires that could kill them have been
untouched.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 19:00:03 -0500, L G > wrote:

> How can I get them to stop chewing wires? They like the smaller speaker
> wires, fortunately. The larger AC wires that could kill them have been
> untouched.

How old are they now? IME, chewing usually begins as teething
behavior.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L G" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> "jmcquown" wrote
>>>
>>> Same here. 2 of my rescues were declawed front and back by an idiot
>>> owner who then decided to have them put to sleep because the wife was
>>> pregnant and developed an allergy (I suspect the allergy was to changing
>>> kitty litter which he wasnt willing to do).

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Years ago I had a neighbor with a toddler, he was pre-school age. She
>> told me he loved seeing Persia sit in the front window of my apartment.
>> The boy wanted a kitty of his own. But she said, "I'm pregnant and we
>> can't have a cat because it might smother the baby." Excuse me?! What
>> kind of lame excuse is that? Is this the old "cats suck the breath out
>> of babies" myth? Close the frigging door to the nursery and use a baby
>> monitor! I felt so sorry for that poor little boy who looked whistfully
>> at my cat. The baby wasn't even born yet and already he was playing
>> second fiddle. (sigh)
>>
>> OB Food: Spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. Time to cook the pasta!
>>
>> Jill

> Did you have a cat when your kid(s) were born?

You're truly an idiot, aren't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"L G" wrote

> Did you have a cat when your kid(s) were born?

I had 2. Fully clawed. Non-issue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "L G" wrote
>
> > Did you have a cat when your kid(s) were born?

> I had 2. Fully clawed. Non-issue.

There were always cats at home, even when I was a baby. The cat was
actually a watchcat! When the GP came to make house visits, my mother
had to run interference otherwise the doc risked getting scratched when
trying to examine us LOL.

Our current Divas just hide under the furniture until the visitors
leave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:58:29 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

> Our current Divas just hide under the furniture until the visitors
> leave.

I know what you mean. My cat gets out of Dodge too.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 17:58:29 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Our current Divas just hide under the furniture until the visitors
> > > leave.

> > I know what you mean. My cat gets out of Dodge too.

> Depends on the cat here. They usually love to sit in guests laps and get
> loving. :-)
> --
> Peace! Om

The Late Emperor Ming demanded attention from all our visitors. Rather
dismayed the ones who didn't like cats LOL.