Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Winter punch

We used to make this in a large crockpot or even a coffee urn
for many different events. The proportions are variable.

Simmer together for at least 1/2 hour:

1 gallon cranberry juice (the real stuff, not "juice drink")
1/2 gallon orange juice
Tea ball or cheesecloth containing:
1 cinnamon stick, cut in half or thirds
1/2 tsp. whole cloves
1 nutmeg, broken or cracked

Remove spices before serving.
Serve in punch cups with honey and lime or lemon wedges
for individuals to add to taste. It's good with a little
Southern Comfort, too.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 5:20*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> We used to make this in a large crockpot or even a coffee urn
> for many different events. *The proportions are variable.
>
> Simmer together for at least 1/2 hour:
>
> 1 gallon cranberry juice (the real stuff, not "juice drink")
> 1/2 gallon orange juice
> Tea ball or cheesecloth containing:
> 1 cinnamon stick, cut in half or thirds
> 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
> 1 nutmeg, broken or cracked
>
> Remove spices before serving.
> Serve in punch cups with honey and lime or lemon wedges
> for individuals to add to taste. *It's good with a little
> Southern Comfort, too.
>
> gloria p

So that must not use cranberry juice "cocktail"? How tart is this?

Just curious,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote on Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:46:14 -0800 (PST):

> On Dec 29, 5:20 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>> We used to make this in a large crockpot or even a coffee urn
>> for many different events. The proportions are variable.
>>
>> Simmer together for at least 1/2 hour:
>>
>> 1 gallon cranberry juice (the real stuff, not "juice drink")
>> 1/2 gallon orange juice
>> Tea ball or cheesecloth containing:
>> 1 cinnamon stick, cut in half or thirds
>> 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
>> 1 nutmeg, broken or cracked
>>
>> Remove spices before serving.
>> Serve in punch cups with honey and lime or lemon wedges
>> for individuals to add to taste. It's good with a little
>> Southern Comfort, too.
>>
>> gloria p

> So that must not use cranberry juice "cocktail"? How tart is
> this?

A "little" Southern Comfort? A lot is more the thing! A lot of Bourbon
is another option!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> On Dec 29, 5:20 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>> We used to make this in a large crockpot or even a coffee urn
>> for many different events. The proportions are variable.
>>
>> Simmer together for at least 1/2 hour:
>>
>> 1 gallon cranberry juice (the real stuff, not "juice drink")
>> 1/2 gallon orange juice
>> Tea ball or cheesecloth containing:
>> 1 cinnamon stick, cut in half or thirds
>> 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
>> 1 nutmeg, broken or cracked
>>
>> Remove spices before serving.
>> Serve in punch cups with honey and lime or lemon wedges
>> for individuals to add to taste. It's good with a little
>> Southern Comfort, too.
>>
>> gloria p

> So that must not use cranberry juice "cocktail"? How tart is this?
>
> Just curious,
> Kris

Cocktail is acceptable. "Juice Drink" doesn't have much flavor. If you
use real juice, the honey works well as a sweetener.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 8:47*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 5:20 pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> >> We used to make this in a large crockpot or even a coffee urn
> >> for many different events. *The proportions are variable.

> >> Simmer together for at least 1/2 hour:

> >> 1 gallon cranberry juice (the real stuff, not "juice drink")
> >> 1/2 gallon orange juice
> >> Tea ball or cheesecloth containing:
> >> 1 cinnamon stick, cut in half or thirds
> >> 1/2 tsp. whole cloves
> >> 1 nutmeg, broken or cracked

> >> Remove spices before serving.
> >> Serve in punch cups with honey and lime or lemon wedges
> >> for individuals to add to taste. *It's good with a little
> >> Southern Comfort, too.

> >> gloria p

> > So that must not use cranberry juice "cocktail"? How tart is this?

> > Just curious,
> > Kris

> Cocktail is acceptable. *"Juice Drink" doesn't have much flavor. *If you
> use real juice, the honey works well as a sweetener.
>
> gloria p- Hide quoted text -

Good to know. Thanks!

Kris

May well be a bad winter-But a good Stew/Soup Winter Kswck General Cooking 98 05-09-2009 08:08 PM
Ti Punch yankeegrL425 Recipes (moderated) 0 27-09-2005 01:25 PM
TI PUNCH yankeegrL425 Recipes 0 26-09-2005 07:58 AM
Hawaiian Punch? Gene Winemaking 5 28-02-2005 09:34 PM
Punch Kenan Thompson General 0 04-06-2004 09:29 AM