Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How any flours do you stock?

I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.

Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.

I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.

And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
adventure another go-round?]

I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
surprise]

I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
flour. Does it improve a cake much?

What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

I have, right now, bread flour, all purpose flour and whole wheat flour.
I have cornmeal and diastatic malt powder, though those don't count.

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
>I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

For current needs, all purpose, Wondra (sp?), and some fine ground corn
meal. A little arrowroot now and again for thickening.

It all depends. If you are baking, there are lots and lots of different
types. And even if you only bake a little, one could easily have half a
dozen for the properly supplied kitchen.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:51:25 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
>loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
>I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
>And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
>can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
>adventure another go-round?]
>
>I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
>couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
>got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
>of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
>semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
>grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
>surprise]
>
>I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
>flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
>What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
>Jim

Well, I am a lunatic bread baker, in addition to taking a run at
cookies, cakes and pastries with some frequency, so here goes:

King Arthur AP
Hecker's AP
KA Artisan
KA First Clear
KA Sir Galahad
KA Pastry Four
White Lily Self Rising
2 or 3 types of rye - medium to pumpernickel Bob's or Hodgeson's
2 kinds of whole wheat - regular & white Ka or some other organic
Several semolina flours
Spelt
Barley
Corn meal - fine and coarse

Oh, there must be more, I am sure. I store almost all of it in the
upright freezer.

And then there are all the grains for mixing in or grinding.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

Cheap all purpose. King Arthur Whole Wheat. Swan's Down.

> *Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

No bread flour at the present time.

> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

Yes.

> Jim

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King Arthur white for bread.
El Cheapo all purpose white for other stuff.
KA Whole Wheat
Rye
Whole wheat pastry

Also always have on hand diastatic malt powder, yeast and gluten.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 1:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *
>
> *Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. *[would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. * When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. * The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. *[and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using? * * *
>
> Jim

I usually have on hand: all-purpose, whole-wheat and cake flours.
Sometimes have bread flour.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 2:11*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> > I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

> Cheap all purpose. *King Arthur Whole Wheat. *Swan's Down.
>
> > *Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> > loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

> No bread flour at the present time.
>

> > I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> > flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

> Yes.

I make my own bread flour - 1 C KA white to 1 T. gluten. I have never
costed it out, but it saves on storage space and one less thing to
watch for depletion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 1:41*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2:11*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 29, 12:51*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> > > I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years. *

> > Cheap all purpose. *King Arthur Whole Wheat. *Swan's Down.

> > > *Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> > > loaves. * * Yup-- even I could see the difference.

> > No bread flour at the present time.

> > > I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> > > flour. * *Does it improve a cake much?

> > Yes.

> I make my own bread flour - 1 C KA white to 1 T. gluten. *I have never
> costed it out, but it saves on storage space and one less thing to
> watch for depletion.

That way you can even add more gluten for things like bagels or pizza
crust.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

AP unbleached
Bread flour
Whole wheat
Rye
corn
(the last three are used together for Boston Brown Bread)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:57:11 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

Dear, now you gone to meddlin'.

OK: AP, Semolina, Bread Flour, Rye, W/W. W/W blend ( soon outa' here)

With these I can do what ever I want to do, for now.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 29, 10:51*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using? *

Bread Flour
Oat Flour
Whole Wheat Flour
White Whole Wheat Flour
Semolina Flour
Corn flour
VWG

prolly something else but I can't think of it right now.* *
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

I keep cake flour on hand for my brownies and I keep bread flour on hand
for bread. Sometimes I have whole wheat flour, sometimes I don't. When
I bake bread, I use either all-purpose flour or a mixture of bread flour
and a-p flour. FWIW.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Being wheat intolerant but not gluten intolerant my list has a lot that
does not overlap.

Always white corn meal, yellow corn meal. Usually rice flour.
Sometimes rye flour or quinoa flour or soy flour. Rarely almond flour
or other nut flour. I've only purchased barley flour once.

Might or might not be considered flours - Corn starch, arrowroot.
Sometimes rice starch or potato starch.

There was a comedy movie (Tax Man?) with Will Ferrel. A tax auditor
falls in love with a baker. One day he brings in 20+ pounds of bags.
"I brought you flours". Each bag was marked with a different grain or
grind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Well if I didn't "insist" I'd either be spending a fortune on pre-made
stuff or getting really, really sick. So I keep stocks of:

Red sorghum
Brown rice
White rice
Chickpea
Potato
Tapioca
Millet
Cornstarch
Fine cornmeal

And we keep a bag of white wheat flour around the place for the
wheat-eaters.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

I'm so not a master chef. I just have all purpose flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/12/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

I have unbleached all purpose, whole wheat, corn flour, potato flour
(great thickener), semolina.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Which question to answer, the one in the subject or the one in the text?

I'll go with the question in the subject line: I have 7 flours (at least
7 - didn't bother to look in the bottom of the bread flour bin - just
skimmed the top layer).

Plain ('all pupose' in USian) flour, Self Raising flour, Wholemeal S/R flour
and at lest 4 differnet types of bread flour - Dura, grain and plain bread
flour and a wholemeal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

We keep: unbleached white, wholemeal/wholewheat, buckwheat, semolina and
rice flours around. Occasionally pastry flour. Finely-ground cornmeal
frequently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
>I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

As many as think we'll need in the next 6 months before the critters hatch.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/12/2010 2:51 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> snipped
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?
>
> Jim

I have Plain, Self-raising, Wholemeal, Semolina, Atta, Strong Pasta
flour and Besan. I use the Besan for a middle-eastern pancake recipe,
although I probably could find other uses for it.

I also have a Mediterranean and a Pizza but these are just tricked-up
with extras in them that I bought from the breadmaking flour shop.

I also buy some packets of flours for quick/lazy bread making, like
Ancient Grains (2 packs in a box).

I made a wholemeal loaf yesterday but it collapsed. Supposedly tastes
ok but it sure doesn't look like it.

Made crusty white batards on Tuesday and took them around to a friend's
pizza oven - best bread we ever had, and we like to make it when we all
get together for drinks/snacks around their oven. Nothing left of the
bread nor the Cuervo.

No set pattern but I like to have a wide range hanging around in case I
get an idea.
Hoges in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
>I managed fine on a bag of all purpose for years.
>
> Then someone talked me into using bread flour for my rolls and
> loaves. Yup-- even I could see the difference.
>
> I use whole wheat or oat flours as an additive sometimes.
>
> And now I have a bag of pastry flour that I bought for a recipe I
> can't find. [would that help a pie crust if I decide to give that
> adventure another go-round?]
>
> I had another [Melomakarona cookie] recipe that called for semolina. I
> couldn't find it, but read that farina could be substituted. When I
> got to the cupboard, I only had a cup of farina-- but there was a box
> of grits sitting there, so I used them. The recipe now reads; 1 cup
> semolina/farina, and 1 cup grits. [and I might change that to 2 cups
> grits next time I make these cookies-- everyone likes the texture
> surprise]
>
> I don't bake a cake every year, even- so I never bothered with cake
> flour. Does it improve a cake much?
>
> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Due to daughter's allergy I can no longer have wheat flour in the house.
When she was first diagnosed, I bought every gluten free cookbook I could
find and then bought every flour I saw listed in the recipes. Then about a
year later, I threw away two grocery sacks full of expired flour. These
alternate flours often do not keep for very long.

Because of our other allergies, I discovered that many of the recipes were
unsuitable for us or just didn't work when I tried them. So I have since
scaled waaaay back on the types of flours I buy.

I have sweet rice flour. I use this for coating chicken, making flour,
thickening sauces, etc. I have brown rice flour. I use this for some
recipes. Some others call for white rice flour. I would have gotten that
too but the store didn't have it. I have Bette Hagman's four flour blend.
I know it contains rice flour and some kind of bean flour but am unsure of
what the other two are. For general purpose baking of gluten free items you
need a mix of about four different flours. I have some chickpea flour that
I used to make cookies. Daughter liked them. I have coconut flour that I
have used in meatballs.

As for the cake flour, this is something I didn't buy often. I only bought
it if the recipe I was using called for cake flour. Most of the cakes I
made too all purpose flour. I can't remember the particulars on the cake
flour. I also bought something called Wonda (I think) after seeing it
recommended on some cooking show for making gravy. I personally think the
sweet rice flour works just as well. It is very fine and never gives you
that gritty texture that you sometimes get with regular rice flour (brown or
white) and it doesn't break down on reheating like cornstarch will do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
-snip-

>What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

Wow! I'm blown away by the passion and variety. On the one
hand- I don't feel like I'm being silly because I am accumulating a
few flours.

OTOH- I feel like a slacker for not having tried all the flours a lot
of you folks use.

My New Year's resolution [haven't made one of those in decades] is to
try a new flour every month & see what I've been missing.

So many ideas here-- rice flours for gravy-- pumpernickel-- potato-
corn. . . diastatic malt?

It looks like I should drop in on Boron or Wayne and get schooled.
They seem to have the widest selection.

Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a self-rising
flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy in a kitchen with
flour, salt, and baking powder. There must be more to it than
just the time saved. I see a few other folks use it too. What
does it add to the 'mix'?

Thanks all-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:45:17 -0500:

>> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

> Wow! I'm blown away by the passion and variety. On the
> one hand- I don't feel like I'm being silly because I am
> accumulating a few flours.

> OTOH- I feel like a slacker for not having tried all the
> flours a lot of you folks use.

> My New Year's resolution [haven't made one of those in
> decades] is to try a new flour every month & see what I've
> been missing.

> So many ideas here-- rice flours for gravy-- pumpernickel--
> potato- corn. . . diastatic malt?

> It looks like I should drop in on Boron or Wayne and get
> schooled. They seem to have the widest selection.

> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a
> self-rising flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy
> in a kitchen with flour, salt, and baking powder.
> There must be more to it than just the time saved. I see a
> few other folks use it too. What does it add to the
> 'mix'?

I do a fair amount of cooking but I seldom bake breads or cakes and I
get along quite well with two types of flour, all-purpose flour and
Indian Gram flour.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote:
> Jim wrote on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:45:17 -0500:
>
>>> What special flours do the rest of you insist on using?

>> Wow! I'm blown away by the passion and variety. On the
>> one hand- I don't feel like I'm being silly because I am
>> accumulating a few flours.

>> OTOH- I feel like a slacker for not having tried all the
>> flours a lot of you folks use.

>> My New Year's resolution [haven't made one of those in
>> decades] is to try a new flour every month & see what I've
>> been missing.

>> So many ideas here-- rice flours for gravy-- pumpernickel--
>> potato- corn. . . diastatic malt?

>> It looks like I should drop in on Boron or Wayne and get
>> schooled. They seem to have the widest selection.

>> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a
>> self-rising flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy
>> in a kitchen with flour, salt, and baking powder.
>> There must be more to it than just the time saved. I see a
>> few other folks use it too. What does it add to the
>> 'mix'?

> I do a fair amount of cooking but I seldom bake breads or cakes and I get
> along quite well with two types of flour, all-purpose flour and Indian Gram flour.

I just have the basics: Ten kinds of flour.

Five pound bags of -
Unbleached whole wheat, Unbleached white, Unbleached Cake Flour, All
Purpose and Masa.

Smaller bags of -
Self Rising flour, Self rising corn meal (Yellow and White), Yellow Corn
meal and Rice flour.

I make my own, breads, rolls, buns, cakes, muffins, biscuits, pancakes,
tortillas, pizzas, donuts, cookies...

The reason for self rising, I tend to follow recipes that ask for it
instead of making it.
It is redundancy, that is why I have the smaller bags.

New years resolution... Again... Lose weight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

AP flour
whole wheat flour
cake flour
rice flour
tapioca flour
potato flour
corn meal
masa harina
flaxseed
almond flour
cornstarch

To make GF crackers I use ground flaxseed, whole flaxseed and almond
flour. To make GF bread, I use rice, tapioca, potato and cornstarch. I
make tamales with masa harina, I also use a couple of tablespoons in
chili, to give it flavor and make it thick.

Becca

On 12/29/2010 4:17 PM, l, not -l wrote:
> All-purpose
> bread
> rye
> whole wheat
> semolina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a self-rising
> flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy in a kitchen with
> flour, salt, and baking powder. There must be more to it than
> just the time saved. I see a few other folks use it too. What
> does it add to the 'mix'?

I'm a very limited baker, so I have three kinds of flour. Bread flour
for pizza dough, self-rising for deep frying and AP for everything else.
This may only be a notion, but I think that self-rising flour makes a
superior crust for deep frying. Coat the item in seasoned self-rising
flour, then buttermilk dip and dredge in the flour again. Deep fry.
I use bread flour for pizza dough, because that was what was suggested
the first time I found a recipe. It works fine.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a self-rising
>> flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy in a kitchen with
>> flour, salt, and baking powder. There must be more to it than
>> just the time saved. I see a few other folks use it too. What
>> does it add to the 'mix'?

> I'm a very limited baker, so I have three kinds of flour. Bread flour
> for pizza dough, self-rising for deep frying and AP for everything else.
> This may only be a notion, but I think that self-rising flour makes a
> superior crust for deep frying. Coat the item in seasoned self-rising
> flour, then buttermilk dip and dredge in the flour again. Deep fry.
> I use bread flour for pizza dough, because that was what was suggested
> the first time I found a recipe. It works fine.
>
> leo

I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special bread
flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy special
flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about gluten
content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed her
family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and baking
powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or even pizza
dough.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a self-rising
>>> flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy in a kitchen with
>>> flour, salt, and baking powder. There must be more to it than
>>> just the time saved. I see a few other folks use it too. What
>>> does it add to the 'mix'?

>> I'm a very limited baker, so I have three kinds of flour. Bread flour
>> for pizza dough, self-rising for deep frying and AP for everything else.
>> This may only be a notion, but I think that self-rising flour makes a
>> superior crust for deep frying. Coat the item in seasoned self-rising
>> flour, then buttermilk dip and dredge in the flour again. Deep fry.
>> I use bread flour for pizza dough, because that was what was suggested
>> the first time I found a recipe. It works fine.
>>
>> leo

> I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special
> bread flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy
> special flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about
> gluten content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed
> her family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and
> baking powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or even pizza dough.
>
> Jill

True, for almost every baking NEED All-purpose does the job with good
flavor and texture. I do make my own bread, cakes, pancakes, pizzas,
cookies... A five pound bag of AP won't last long. So for that extra tasty
taste and textures, those extra flours can go from its Ok, to Oh! That's
Good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 19:08:14 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> Interesting that they [and several other folks] listed a self-rising
>> flour, which I always thought to be a redundancy in a kitchen with
>> flour, salt, and baking powder. There must be more to it than
>> just the time saved. I see a few other folks use it too. What
>> does it add to the 'mix'?

>I'm a very limited baker, so I have three kinds of flour. Bread flour
>for pizza dough, self-rising for deep frying and AP for everything else.
>This may only be a notion, but I think that self-rising flour makes a
>superior crust for deep frying. Coat the item in seasoned self-rising
>flour, then buttermilk dip and dredge in the flour again. Deep fry.
>I use bread flour for pizza dough, because that was what was suggested
>the first time I found a recipe. It works fine.
>
>leo

FWIW: The best pizza dounh I have found uses a mix of bread flour and
stone ground whole wheat. Found in the NittyGritty Publications book,
the Bread Machine Book (paperback) Also has a good recipe for W/W
bread, a high-rising loaf that toasts up nicely and is a killer when
toasted, slathered in butter or schmaltz, and topped with thin slices
of mild onion.

I'll have to try your deep-fry technique. I normally use my own bread
crumbs, or panko. (Is panko considered a flour? Probably not...)

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 08:19:18 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special bread
>flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy special
>flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about gluten
>content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed her
>family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and baking
>powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or even pizza
>dough.

I bake. My recipes for pain a l'ancienne, french loaves and baguettes
call for A/P flour rather than bread flour. They start with a poolish
(semi liquid starter) and have great flavor and texture. That said, I
find that my bread machine turns out a better crumb with bread flour
rather than A/P, but the resulting loaves are not the equal of the
hand-made A/P flour loaf. I think the B/M just over-kneads the dough
and proper lightness is lost in the process.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker > wrote:

>I bake. My recipes for pain a l'ancienne, french loaves and baguettes
>call for A/P flour rather than bread flour. They start with a poolish
>(semi liquid starter) and have great flavor and texture. That said, I
>find that my bread machine turns out a better crumb with bread flour
>rather than A/P, but the resulting loaves are not the equal of the
>hand-made A/P flour loaf. I think the B/M just over-kneads the dough
>and proper lightness is lost in the process.

This is tricky business since A/P flour varies by region. I suspect
you are not in an area where A/P flour is particularly soft if
you are getting these results.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special
> bread flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy
> special flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about
> gluten content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed
> her family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and
> baking powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or
> even pizza dough.

Baking powder? Biscuits maybe, but not bread and certainly not pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special
> > bread flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy
> > special flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about
> > gluten content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed
> > her family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and
> > baking powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or
> > even pizza dough.

> Baking powder? Biscuits maybe, but not bread and certainly not pizza.

Fine for quick breads, but yeast-raised breads have a different (and to
me superior) taste and texture.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:02:14 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
Pope) wrote:

>Chemiker > wrote:
>
>>I bake. My recipes for pain a l'ancienne, french loaves and baguettes
>>call for A/P flour rather than bread flour. They start with a poolish
>>(semi liquid starter) and have great flavor and texture. That said, I
>>find that my bread machine turns out a better crumb with bread flour
>>rather than A/P, but the resulting loaves are not the equal of the
>>hand-made A/P flour loaf. I think the B/M just over-kneads the dough
>>and proper lightness is lost in the process.

>This is tricky business since A/P flour varies by region. I suspect
>you are not in an area where A/P flour is particularly soft if
>you are getting these results.
>
>Steve

Maybe.... I don't know. I just decided to try the technique described
in The Breadmaker's Apprentice (Use poolish, not just yeast spiked
dough. don't knead, fold!) and liked the results. Reminded me of
loaves I grew up with, both in flavor and texture. My Italian loaves,
OTOH, come up "correctly" with bread flour. In both cases, I am
careful to spray/steam the stones in the oven during the first minutes
of baking. I also form and bake on parchment paper. For whatever
reason(s), it works. Now rye bread... that's elusively tricky for me.
Makes good bricks though.
Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:41:06 +0100, "Giusi" > wrote:

>"jmcquown" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> I have one kind of flour. All-purpose. I don't bake bread so special
>> bread flour is a no-brainer. But even when I did bake bread I didn't buy
>> special flour. Neither did my grandmother. She wasn't thinking about
>> gluten content during the great depression. She just baked bread to feed
>> her family, not to impress anyone. Plain all-purpose flour with salt and
>> baking powder. That's really all you need to bake a loaf of bread. Or
>> even pizza dough.

>Baking powder? Biscuits maybe, but not bread and certainly not pizza.

I put a pinch (!) of double-acting in my haluski dough. The dumplings
come up more tender when boiled. Haven't done it with napkin
dumplings, tho.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
<snip>
> I keep self-rising flour on hand primarily because many non-US
> recipes call for it, as well as some US recipes.

Recipes from which countries ?
"Self-rising flour" seems to be an AngloSaxon thing.

> Have fun, and Happy New Year!

A Happy New Year, too !

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:16:56 -0800, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> I prefer white wheat to red wheat. I don't know if it is storage
> time or simply the property of the wheat, but I think the red has a more
> bitter after taste.

I bought a bag of white whole wheat recently. Unfortunately, I was in
a hurry when I was making my rolls and didn't notice I wasn't using
unbleached all purpose... they were tasty, but they should have been
lighter.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

King Arthur Flours - Special Bread Flour vs. All-Purpose [email protected] Baking 0 21-05-2016 08:14 AM
Pizza flours Chet General Cooking 10 11-03-2010 06:39 PM
Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 17-12-2009 11:41 PM
choice of flours to thicken after cooking john royce General Cooking 18 23-07-2009 11:55 PM
Gluten-free flours Rachel Baking 2 20-01-2005 11:37 PM