Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RIP Kilikini

On 12/27/2010 8:22 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2010-12-28, > wrote:
>
>> Another give us a donation post, not worth a look

> NFW you know what Caring Bridge did for Kili, so you best STFU if you
> want any creds in this group.
>
> nb

I had another friend who was on his way out of this life and was able to
keep up through Caring Bridge.

Right now I have a friend in the hospital trying to recover from a
stroke. His wife started a page, but she is due for heavy-duty cancer
surgery next week so another friend will take over and do both sites
until she is able to type again.

I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/12/2010 10:46 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I had another friend who was on his way out of this life and was able to
> keep up through Caring Bridge.
>
> Right now I have a friend in the hospital trying to recover from a
> stroke. His wife started a page, but she is due for heavy-duty cancer
> surgery next week so another friend will take over and do both sites
> until she is able to type again.
>
> I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had been
NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough reading
that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the surgery I
was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think about
reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had enough
trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 7:46*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 12/27/2010 8:22 PM, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2010-12-28, > *wrote:

> >> Another give us a donation post, not worth a look

> > NFW you know what Caring Bridge did for Kili, so you best STFU if you
> > want any creds in this group.

> > nb

> I had another friend who was on his way out of this life and was able to
> keep up through Caring Bridge.
>
> Right now I have a friend in the hospital trying to recover from a
> stroke. His wife started a page, but she is due for heavy-duty cancer
> surgery next week so another friend will take over and do both sites
> until she is able to type again.
>
> I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

An acquaintance's wife documented his (successful!) bout with cancer
treatment on caringbridge, so it's very useful in letting one's circle
of friends and family know what's happening without a lot of effort
(e.g. sending email blasts, or answering phone calls from the curious)
on the part of the patient and his loved ones. But the solicitation
for funds -- "You appreciate knowing how your critically ill friend is
doing, don't you?" is a bit offputting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 9:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
> problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
> couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had
> been NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough
> reading that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the
> surgery I was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think
> about reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had
> enough trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.

Oh my, you have come a long way. I knew it was bad, but I had no idea
you were that weak. It is nice to see you getting stronger.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 9:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 28/12/2010 10:46 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>

>> I had another friend who was on his way out of this life and was able to
>> keep up through Caring Bridge.
>>
>> Right now I have a friend in the hospital trying to recover from a
>> stroke. His wife started a page, but she is due for heavy-duty cancer
>> surgery next week so another friend will take over and do both sites
>> until she is able to type again.
>>
>> I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

> Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
> problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
> couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had been
> NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough reading
> that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the surgery I
> was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think about
> reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had enough
> trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.

Dave, I hope you are doing well now.

My friend should be back from Houston tomorrow and I'll better know the
extent of the surgery she will undergo.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default RMe.... was e: RIP Kilikini

On 28/12/2010 8:44 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

>> Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
>> problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
>> couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had been
>> NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough reading
>> that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the surgery I
>> was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think about
>> reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had enough
>> trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.
>>>

> Dave, I hope you are doing well now.
>
> My friend should be back from Houston tomorrow and I'll better know the
> extent of the surgery she will undergo.

I am sorry. I didn't intend to take a thread about Kili and turn it
around to be about me. I was thinking about your friend in the hospital
recovering from a stroke and his wife going in for heavy duty surgery.
It is just that, with my experience being so recent, it is still fresh
in my mind how helpless I was. I had trouble opening the plastic cutlery
package. I had trouble taking the top off yogurt cups and fruit cups.
Once day I had to ask the nurse to help me get at my juice. She poked
the straw through the top. Seemed like a good idea. Next meal I tried
it.... couldn't do it.

But that was last month. I am living in a whole new world. My ribs are
still too sore to cough or to sleep on my wide, but I can get in and out
of bed again. I stopped taking pain killers a month ago. I am sleeping
through the night, walking the dog. I have been to the Y the last two
days and was able to walk two miles. I was tired, but I did it. It's
like a whole new world. Feeling so much better..... still a long way to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 12/28/2010 9:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 28/12/2010 10:46 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>

>>> I had another friend who was on his way out of this life and was
>>> able to
>>> keep up through Caring Bridge.
>>>
>>> Right now I have a friend in the hospital trying to recover from a
>>> stroke. His wife started a page, but she is due for heavy-duty cancer
>>> surgery next week so another friend will take over and do both sites
>>> until she is able to type again.
>>>
>>> I think it's a wonderful thing that Caring Bridge is doing.

>> Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
>> problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
>> couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had been
>> NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough reading
>> that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the surgery I
>> was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think about
>> reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had enough
>> trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.
>>>

> Dave, I hope you are doing well now.
>
> My friend should be back from Houston tomorrow and I'll better know
> the extent of the surgery she will undergo.

It won't be long until a certain narcissist jumps all over this thread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 8:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> But that was last month. I am living in a whole new world. My ribs are
> still too sore to cough or to sleep on my wide, but I can get in and out
> of bed again. I stopped taking pain killers a month ago. I am sleeping
> through the night, walking the dog. I have been to the Y the last two
> days and was able to walk two miles. I was tired, but I did it. It's
> like a whole new world. Feeling so much better..... still a long way to go.

I'm glad you're doing so much better! You're inspiring me to get back
to walking. I haven't had heart surgery so I don't have an excuse.
Thank you for sharing that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2010 7:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Good luck to them. After my recent experience I can appreciate the
>>> problems. I was pretty well incapacitated for a while. I had taken a
>>> couple books to the hospital when I went for my angiogram, They had been
>>> NY Times best sellers, so I figured they would be light enough reading
>>> that I would be able to handle them. When I came to after the surgery I
>>> was in such a daze that there was no way I could even think about
>>> reading. I didn't have the strength to hold a book up. I had enough
>>> trouble opening the cutlery package that came with my meals.
>>>>

>> Dave, I hope you are doing well now.
>>
>> My friend should be back from Houston tomorrow and I'll better know the
>> extent of the surgery she will undergo.
>>

> I am sorry. I didn't intend to take a thread about Kili and turn it
> around to be about me. I was thinking about your friend in the hospital
> recovering from a stroke and his wife going in for heavy duty surgery.
> It is just that, with my experience being so recent, it is still fresh
> in my mind how helpless I was. I had trouble opening the plastic cutlery
> package. I had trouble taking the top off yogurt cups and fruit cups.
> Once day I had to ask the nurse to help me get at my juice. She poked
> the straw through the top. Seemed like a good idea. Next meal I tried
> it.... couldn't do it.

I didn't even consider taking offense. Don't worry about it.
> But that was last month. I am living in a whole new world. My ribs are
> still too sore to cough or to sleep on my wide, but I can get in and out
> of bed again. I stopped taking pain killers a month ago. I am sleeping
> through the night, walking the dog. I have been to the Y the last two
> days and was able to walk two miles. I was tired, but I did it. It's
> like a whole new world. Feeling so much better..... still a long way to go.

Glad you are getting stronger. Recovering from a major health crisis is
hard work. BTDT. I wish you the best, Dave.

RIP Kilikini Aussie General Cooking 1 29-12-2010 01:02 AM
RIP Kilikini Dan Abel General Cooking 1 28-12-2010 09:16 PM
RIP Kilikini Chemiker General Cooking 0 28-12-2010 05:57 PM
RIP Kilikini notbob General Cooking 0 28-12-2010 03:12 PM
About Kilikini and posting about Kilikini Theron General Cooking 4 07-12-2008 10:55 PM