FoodBanter.com

-   -   But we don't celebrate Christmas! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/403631-but-we-dont-celebrate.html)

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 06:43 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
enough to cook on Christmas morning.

While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....

We ended up having:

Roast turkey
Dressing
Giblet gravy
Roasted carrots
Magic. Surprise. Punkin. Pie! (I didn't realize it earlier, but I just
happened to have the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, minus the ground
cloves, so I went with it.)

It was like Christmas dinner without the Christmas. It was yummy.

Today, I'm making my traditional Boxing Day breakfast: turkey hash (fry
onions and potatoes until they're a bit softened. Add turkey and a
little gravy. Fry until nice and crisp. Serve to people who couldn't
care less, and would be fine eating eggs and toast.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

[email protected] 26-12-2010 08:18 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 10:43:59 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
>a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
>were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
>twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
>up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
>or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
>enough to cook on Christmas morning.
>
>While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
>might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
>I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....
>
>We ended up having:
>
>Roast turkey
>Dressing
>Giblet gravy
>Roasted carrots
>Magic. Surprise. Punkin. Pie! (I didn't realize it earlier, but I just
>happened to have the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, minus the ground
>cloves, so I went with it.)
>
>It was like Christmas dinner without the Christmas. It was yummy.
>
>Today, I'm making my traditional Boxing Day breakfast: turkey hash (fry
>onions and potatoes until they're a bit softened. Add turkey and a
>little gravy. Fry until nice and crisp. Serve to people who couldn't
>care less, and would be fine eating eggs and toast.
>
>Serene

Mmmm sounds like you had a wonderful non-Christmas meal. Dang, what a
great deal on the turkey.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
Updated 12/24/10

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Chemiker 26-12-2010 08:29 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 10:43:59 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
>a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
>were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
>twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
>up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
>or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
>enough to cook on Christmas morning.
>
>While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
>might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
>I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....
>
>We ended up having:
>
>Roast turkey
>Dressing
>Giblet gravy
>Roasted carrots
>Magic. Surprise. Punkin. Pie! (I didn't realize it earlier, but I just
>happened to have the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, minus the ground
>cloves, so I went with it.)
>
>It was like Christmas dinner without the Christmas. It was yummy.
>
>Today, I'm making my traditional Boxing Day breakfast: turkey hash (fry
>onions and potatoes until they're a bit softened. Add turkey and a
>little gravy. Fry until nice and crisp. Serve to people who couldn't
>care less, and would be fine eating eggs and toast.
>
>Serene

You may not celebrate Christmas, and without guilt. Fine. Yet you, as
we do, have the opportunity to celebrate *something*, that perhaps
goes beyond explanation. Maybe there is some innate need to celebrate
something at this time of year, and season. This may be true for all
of us.

When it's cold, it's nice to give the fig to nature and enjoy roasted
meat. When the cold promises that some will not live to see spring,
maybe its a time to enjoy family. Is this not fundamental? remember,
we *say* we love the snow, but the truth is that we love being safe
from it.

Blessings on you and your house.

Alex

ImStillMags 26-12-2010 08:49 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Dec 26, 10:43*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
the foods of the Winter's Season.
So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
food, the wine, and each other.

I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
old !! ;-)

dsi1[_12_] 26-12-2010 08:52 PM

On 12/26/2010 8:43 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
> a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
> were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
> twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
> up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
> or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
> enough to cook on Christmas morning.

Oddly enough, I can get a 20 lb turkey for less than $8 at the Safeway.
OTOH, a rib roast will be $7/lb. That's the breaks I guess.

> While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
> might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
> I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....

I wanted to celebrate Christmas like they do in Japan - too bad the
Kentucky Fried Chicken was closed for the holiday. That was a bummer. :-)

sf[_9_] 26-12-2010 09:00 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 10:43:59 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

> Serve to people who couldn't
> care less, and would be fine eating eggs and toast.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and please yourself. Glad you
scratched an itch that only you could reach!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

ravenlynne[_5_] 26-12-2010 09:24 PM

On 12/26/2010 3:49 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Dec 26, 10:43 am, Serene > wrote:
>

> I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
> the foods of the Winter's Season.
> So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
> food, the wine, and each other.
>
> I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
> old !! ;-)

We do both :-) We're a "mixed marriage" hehe...he methodist and I pagan.

--
Happy Holidays!!!

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:32 PM

On 12/26/2010 12:18 PM, wrote:

> Mmmm sounds like you had a wonderful non-Christmas meal. Dang, what a
> great deal on the turkey.

My thanksgiving one was the real deal: $10 for a 23-pounder. What's
that? (*calculates*) 43 cents a pound! But this time, I wasn't going to
that store, and the one I was in had a 12-pounder for 11 bucks and
change, so I went for it. It was good.

Today's lunch: James's turkey salad, which is always wonderful.

Today's dinner: turkey pot pie with store-bought crusts. We're taking
it easy.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:33 PM

On 12/26/2010 12:29 PM, Chemiker wrote:

> You may not celebrate Christmas, and without guilt. Fine.

Why would anyone feel guilty for not celebrating Christmas?

> Yet you, as
> we do, have the opportunity to celebrate *something*, that perhaps
> goes beyond explanation. Maybe there is some innate need to celebrate
> something at this time of year, and season. This may be true for all
> of us.

Maybe, but I doubt it. No matter, though. We're happy to take any excuse
for a day of feasting and gratitude.

> When it's cold, it's nice to give the fig to nature and enjoy roasted
> meat. When the cold promises that some will not live to see spring,
> maybe its a time to enjoy family. Is this not fundamental? remember,
> we *say* we love the snow, but the truth is that we love being safe
> from it.
>
> Blessings on you and your house.

Backatcha. Thanks.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:37 PM

On 12/26/2010 12:49 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Dec 26, 10:43 am, Serene > wrote:
>

> I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
> the foods of the Winter's Season.
> So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
> food, the wine, and each other.
>
> I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
> old !! ;-)

:-) We care more about natural "holidays" like solstice than about the
ones we grew up with, but even those, we don't really pay much attention
to. Not that we have anything against them; it's just not something we
happen to care about. Besides, one of our family members does this every
year, so that keeps us stocked up on Christmas Cheer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61898632@N00/sets/1710724/

ObFood: I've received a giant load of Super Sekrit ingredient from a
major food producer, along with an invitation to join a cooking-video
contest they're running. I don't want to say what it is unless we end
up liking it, but the first recipe I'm going to make with it is gonna be
a lot of fun. More when I've done the thing.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Michel Boucher[_3_] 26-12-2010 09:42 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Serene Vannoy > wrote in news:8npgn6Fo8cU3
@mid.individual.net:

> It was like Christmas dinner without the Christmas.

I do a cold lunch on Christmas Day. We are definitely not religious, so no
mumbo jumbo or "grace" or any of that "grateful" stuff. This year, like
last year, I did a Christmas day cold lunch. We invited only family and
extended family: my wife and I, both step children, boyfriend of step-
daughter, grandchild, my sister and her companion and my ex-wife. My ex-
wife had her first experience with a Skype video call to my daughter who
lives in Vancouver.

On Thursday I bought, on Friday I cooked, on Saturday I was fairly rested
and we sat down and ate:

1 roasted pork loin (bought from the organic butcher)
2 medium stuffed turkey breasts (bought stuffed from the organic butcher)
a large bowl of potato salad (small potatoes, mayo, salt and pepper)
2 types of cranberry sauces (my traditional with lemon juice and finely
chopped ginger, and a cranberry chutney with orange juice and maple syrup)
a dish of sautéed asparagus, served cold with a vinaigrette
beets en papillotte

Afterwards, a nice Tomme de Grosse-Île with white bread. My sister had
brought a large plate of small cakes for dessert.

Links:

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Si...ml?dishid=4919

http://www.fromagesileauxgrues.com/tomme-grosse-ile-en/

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Ema Nymton 26-12-2010 09:44 PM

On 12/26/2010 2:49 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Dec 26, 10:43 am, Serene > wrote:
>

> I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
> the foods of the Winter's Season.
> So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
> food, the wine, and each other.
>
> I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
> old !! ;-)

Your rib roast dinner sounds wonderful. I also like to acknowledge the
Winter Solstice, but I don't dance around naked at midnight. Not
outdoors, anyway. ;-)

Becca

Ema Nymton 26-12-2010 09:45 PM

On 12/26/2010 3:37 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> ObFood: I've received a giant load of Super Sekrit ingredient from a
> major food producer, along with an invitation to join a cooking-video
> contest they're running. I don't want to say what it is unless we end
> up liking it, but the first recipe I'm going to make with it is gonna
> be a lot of fun. More when I've done the thing.
>
> Serene

Sounds fun! I can't wait to hear more.

Becca

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:46 PM

On 12/26/2010 01:24 PM, ravenlynne wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 3:49 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Dec 26, 10:43 am, Serene > wrote:
>>

>> I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
>> the foods of the Winter's Season.
>> So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
>> food, the wine, and each other.
>>
>> I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
>> old !! ;-)
>>

> We do both :-) We're a "mixed marriage" hehe...he methodist and I pagan.

:-) Most of my family are atheists, but Guy and Carin are pagans (of
different stripes). Christmas feels more cultural than religious to me,
for the most part, and I do like it; I just usually don't take much
effort to make a thing out of it.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:48 PM

On 12/26/2010 12:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 8:43 AM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
>> a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
>> were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
>> twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
>> up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
>> or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
>> enough to cook on Christmas morning.

> Oddly enough, I can get a 20 lb turkey for less than $8 at the Safeway.
> OTOH, a rib roast will be $7/lb. That's the breaks I guess.

Yeah, at Thanksgiving they were doing the sub-20-pounders at $8 and the
20-plus ones at $10, or something like that. We would have gotten two if
I'd had the freezer space. I don't like turkey, but James really does.

> I wanted to celebrate Christmas like they do in Japan - too bad the
> Kentucky Fried Chicken was closed for the holiday. That was a bummer. :-)

Heh. For Thanksgiving, I had done the big holiday ten days early, so I
wanted to have Thai food for dinner on the actual day (and didn't feel
like cooking it). Turns out all our Thai places are closed on
Thanksgiving, so I went to our favorite one the night before and got
enough to have dinner that night, and leftovers all day the next day.
Smartest $100 I ever spent.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 09:49 PM

On 12/26/2010 01:42 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:

> 1 roasted pork loin (bought from the organic butcher)
> 2 medium stuffed turkey breasts (bought stuffed from the organic butcher)
> a large bowl of potato salad (small potatoes, mayo, salt and pepper)
> 2 types of cranberry sauces (my traditional with lemon juice and finely
> chopped ginger, and a cranberry chutney with orange juice and maple syrup)
> a dish of sautéed asparagus, served cold with a vinaigrette
> beets en papillotte

Sounds lovely!

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Ema Nymton 26-12-2010 09:50 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On 12/26/2010 3:37 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> :-) We care more about natural "holidays" like solstice than about the
> ones we grew up with, but even those, we don't really pay much
> attention to. Not that we have anything against them; it's just not
> something we happen to care about. Besides, one of our family members
> does this every year, so that keeps us stocked up on Christmas Cheer:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/61898632@N00/sets/1710724/

Oh, I love their collection of unique Santa's and spacecraft. How
wonderful.

Becca

Michel Boucher[_3_] 26-12-2010 09:51 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Chemiker > wrote in
:

> Yet you, as
> we do, have the opportunity to celebrate *something*, that perhaps
> goes beyond explanation. Maybe there is some innate need to celebrate
> something at this time of year, and season.

Of course! We can celebrate a much more significant event than the birth
of a Judean named Emmanuel born during the time of the census of Quirinus.
We can celebrate the annual event of the winter solstice, the day of Sol
Indigetis in the calendar of Numa Pompilius, and of course, the feast of
Saturnalia. Seneca the Younger wrote of that annual festivity, around AD
50:

"It is now the month of December, when the greatest part of the city is in
a bustle. Loose reins are given to public dissipation; everywhere you may
hear the sound of great preparations, as if there were some real difference
between the days devoted to Saturn and those for transacting business..."

Michel Boucher[_3_] 26-12-2010 09:54 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Serene Vannoy > wrote in
:

>> 1 roasted pork loin (bought from the organic butcher)
>> 2 medium stuffed turkey breasts (bought stuffed from the organic
>> butcher)
>> a large bowl of potato salad (small potatoes, mayo, salt and
>> pepper)
>> 2 types of cranberry sauces (my traditional with lemon juice
>> and finely chopped ginger, and a cranberry chutney with orange juice
>> and maple syrup)
>> a dish of saut‚ed asparagus, served cold with a
>> vinaigrette
>> beets en papillotte

> Sounds lovely!

It worked out very well. We did this as a test for the first time last
year and as a result, I will never attempt another evening meal of that
calibre. A cold lunch is so much more relaxing.

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 10:09 PM

On 12/26/2010 01:50 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 3:37 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>
>> :-) We care more about natural "holidays" like solstice than about the
>> ones we grew up with, but even those, we don't really pay much
>> attention to. Not that we have anything against them; it's just not
>> something we happen to care about. Besides, one of our family members
>> does this every year, so that keeps us stocked up on Christmas Cheer:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/61898632@N00/sets/1710724/

> Oh, I love their collection of unique Santa's and spacecraft. How
> wonderful.

Doesn't she do an amazing job? I've honestly never seen a more decorated
space than her house at Christmas. If you're ever in the Bay Area the
first weekend of December, I recommend you come and see it. (That
invitation extends to you all. The open house is a feast of food and
festivity.) It's not even really able to be captured on film.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Pete C. 26-12-2010 10:22 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Thanksgiving and New Year provide adequate excuses for large scale
cooking for me.

Serene Vannoy 26-12-2010 10:36 PM

On 12/26/2010 02:22 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Thanksgiving and New Year provide adequate excuses for large scale
> cooking for me.

*nod* We ignore New Year's, too, because it's very near Munchkin The
Younger's birthday, and that's the more important "holiday" here.

SErene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

sf[_9_] 26-12-2010 10:49 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:37:00 -0800, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

> Besides, one of our family members does this every
> year, so that keeps us stocked up on Christmas Cheer:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/61898632@N00/sets/1710724/

All the Christmas with none of the work? I'd like that too. ;)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 26-12-2010 10:53 PM

But we don't celebrate Christmas!

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:44:22 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Your rib roast dinner sounds wonderful. I also like to acknowledge the
> Winter Solstice, but I don't dance around naked at midnight. Not
> outdoors, anyway. ;-)

A friend used to do a bonfire at the beach for Winter Solstice, but
bonfires are a lot of work and we're too old (well, we're too creaky).

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

ravenlynne[_5_] 26-12-2010 11:05 PM

On 12/26/2010 4:46 PM, Serene Vannoy wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 01:24 PM, ravenlynne wrote:
>> On 12/26/2010 3:49 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> On Dec 26, 10:43 am, Serene > wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't "keep Christmas" in the traditional sense, either. But I love
>>> the foods of the Winter's Season.
>>> So I did a rib roast dinner and had friends in and we enjoyed the
>>> food, the wine, and each other.
>>>
>>> I think I keep the Winter's Solstice more like the Pagans of
>>> old !! ;-)
>>>

>> We do both :-) We're a "mixed marriage" hehe...he methodist and I pagan.
>>

> :-) Most of my family are atheists, but Guy and Carin are pagans (of
> different stripes). Christmas feels more cultural than religious to me,
> for the most part, and I do like it; I just usually don't take much
> effort to make a thing out of it.
>
> Serene

That's the feeling I have about it. I do it for scott and the children,
but I'm not feeling the baby jesus aspect. For me it's more a
late-solstice-winter celebration.

--
Happy Holidays!!!

ravenlynne[_5_] 26-12-2010 11:07 PM

On 12/26/2010 5:22 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Thanksgiving and New Year provide adequate excuses for large scale
> cooking for me.

They're my last excesses until easter...back home it was Mardi gras
first but not so much hear in florida...

--
Happy Holidays!!!

Pete C. 26-12-2010 11:34 PM

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> On 12/26/2010 02:22 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > Thanksgiving and New Year provide adequate excuses for large scale
> > cooking for me.

> *nod* We ignore New Year's, too, because it's very near Munchkin The
> Younger's birthday, and that's the more important "holiday" here.

This geezer's birthday isn't far after New Years either, but it's
another excuse to cook for a bunch of friends.