Old 21-12-2010, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default HELP!!! BAD coffee from a drip machine

'k.... It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. We
buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
OK-Good.

We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
(kinda' like you see in hotels). We grind the beans like we used to,
use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

It made a couple "pots" OK. But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Any help?

TIA,

-TES

Old 21-12-2010, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-21, Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:

It made a couple "pots" OK. But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Could be the water is not being heated to the proper temperature.

http://tinyurl.com/2dqvaxl

.....which is about 203-208 deg F.

I brew my drip coffee just off the boil. IOW, I boil water in
microwave then wait 10-15 secs after stops boiling. Check with a
thermometer or digital temp probe. I'd rather have water too hot than
too cold.

Also, I don't know what kind of material your filter basket is made
of, but I discovered a long time ago not to let my plastic Melitta
drip brewing basket soak in soapy dish water, as the plastic will
absorb the soap taste. I had to throw one away, it was so bad.

nb
Old 21-12-2010, 03:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2010 9:40 PM, notbob wrote:
Also, I don't know what kind of material your filter basket is made
of, but I discovered a long time ago not to let my plastic Melitta
drip brewing basket soak in soapy dish water, as the plastic will
absorb the soap taste. I had to throw one away, it was so bad.

I have to agree. Nothing touches my brew basket but water and vinegar.

Speaking of bad coffee makers, I've had a weird one lately. The filters
keep caving in, and then the water mixes with the grounds and they all
end up in my coffee pot. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to
happen when I'm in a hurry in the morning. I've tried several types of
filters and there's no common factor.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/20/2010 7:52 PM, Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
'k.... It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. We
buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
OK-Good.

We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
(kinda' like you see in hotels). We grind the beans like we used to,
use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

It made a couple "pots" OK. But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Any help?

TIA,

-TES

Be wary of Black & Decker. I bought one of their "Cafe Noir" pots last
year at Kohls and DH broke the carafe. Guess what? you can't get a
replacement. Not even from B&D.

One of our best friends has a son who is pretty high up at Black &
Decker and our friend said he has it on good authority not to buy their
kitchen appliances. This was my only B&D kitchen appliance ( I have a
drill) I was *not* impressed.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 21-12-2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-21, Cheryl wrote:

Speaking of bad coffee makers, I've had a weird one lately. The filters
keep caving in, and then the water mixes with the grounds and they all
end up in my coffee pot. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to
happen when I'm in a hurry in the morning. I've tried several types of
filters and there's no common factor.

My Melitta does that, too. The flat paper filters are too easily
pushed over while pouring hot water. It seems to occure when both the
filter paper and the cone holder are both dry. Lately, I've taken to
wetting the filter holder prior to inserting the filter paper so the
paper cone becomes wet and tends to adhere to the holder, better.

nb

Old 21-12-2010, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:06:23 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

Speaking of bad coffee makers, I've had a weird one lately. The filters
keep caving in, and then the water mixes with the grounds and they all
end up in my coffee pot. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to
happen when I'm in a hurry in the morning. I've tried several types of
filters and there's no common factor.

Do you wet the filter with hot running water after you place it in the
basket, so that it adheres to the basket sides, before adding the
coffee? That often helps.

-- Larry
Old 21-12-2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote in news:4d1027dc$0$1945
:

[...]

Sounds like his best bet is to give the B&D away to an undeserving friend,
and buy himself a decent coffee machine!!

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Old 21-12-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 7:52*pm, Theodore Edward Stosterone
wrote:
'k.... *It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. *We
buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
OK-Good.

We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
(kinda' like you see in hotels). *We grind the beans like we used to,
use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

It made a couple "pots" OK. *But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Any help?

TIA,

Those smaller coffee makers make crappy coffee, period. Just get
yourself a 12-cup Mr. Coffee, the plain one. They are $12 or $14
bucks at Target.
Old 21-12-2010, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
'k.... *It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. *We
buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
OK-Good.

We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
(kinda' like you see in hotels). *We grind the beans like we used to,
use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

It made a couple "pots" OK. *But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Any help?

TIA,

Those smaller coffee makers make crappy coffee, period. *Just get
yourself a 12-cup Mr. Coffee, the plain one. *They are $12 or $14
bucks at Target.

i disagree, I used a 4 cup Mr Coffee from Target for years. I never
had a problem with it.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
none of your business wrote:

i disagree, I used a 4 cup Mr Coffee from Target for years. I never
had a problem with it.

We used to have one of those little babies. It was OK when we got up,
threw down a cup of coffee, and then left for work. But you really only
get two decent mugs out of a pot that small, so now it just isn't enough.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Old 21-12-2010, 04:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Another thing that helps even the cheapest drip machines make decent
coffee is to preheat the water to 100 deg. F or a little more, e.g.,
using a microwave oven.

My wife and I buy around 20 cheap 10- or 12-cup coffee makers each
year when we travel. We buy them at the nearest drug store, and leave
them behind in the hotel when we depart.

By making sure they use conical filters (*not* flat-bottom baskets, a
la Mr. Coffee), using our own ground coffee, and pre-heating bottled
water, we always have excellent morning coffee.

-- Larry
Old 21-12-2010, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
'k.... *It's just the wife and I and our 12-cup machine cratered. *We
buy whole bean coffee from a variety of sources, and it's always been
OK-Good.

We bought a cheap Black and Decker "6 cup" (read 3-cup) coffee machine
(kinda' like you see in hotels). *We grind the beans like we used to,
use the same water, same... yadda yadda yadda.

It made a couple "pots" OK. *But lately, the result has been AWFUL...
bitter, blecky, undrinkable.

Any help?

TIA,

Those smaller coffee makers make crappy coffee, period. *Just get
yourself a 12-cup Mr. Coffee, the plain one. *They are $12 or $14
bucks at Target.

i disagree, I used a 4 cup Mr Coffee from Target for years. I never
had a problem with it.

Everyone is different, there truly is no accounting for taste. However
the most critical element in coffee brewing, even more than the
coffee, is the water. The OP is using the same coffee in the same
machine that previously produced satisfactory brew, could be using
bottled/filtered water and simply got a bad one... the water is the
only thing that could have changed... even slightly lower brew water
temperature wouldn't make lousy enough coffee to write about, and one
would readily notice if their coffee was suddenly brewing cooler with
their first cup. And we don't know how the OP drinks their java, if
with dairy could easily be milk about to turn. The cup may not be
clean, could have traces of detergent... there really is no way to
come to any conclusion, not with the limited info offered... all
anyone can offer is wild speculation.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-21, wrote:

Another thing that helps even the cheapest drip machines make decent
coffee is to preheat the water to 100 deg. F or a little more, e.g.,
using a microwave oven.

My wife and I buy around 20 cheap 10- or 12-cup coffee makers each
year when we travel. We buy them at the nearest drug store, and leave
them behind in the hotel when we depart.

Excuse me while I retrieve my jaw from off the floor.....

Now that's just strange. Why not just buy one and take it with you. Do
you think the hotel really wants your used coffee pot?
Old 21-12-2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the replies.

It IS a B&D. THe water temp going in was 70 F.
The water in the carafe is only 188 F.

THat's probalby the problemo.

-TES