Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Menu Planning

What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
with whatever I decide to serve with it.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 10:16*am, ravenlynne > wrote:
> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? *I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. *We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.
>
> --
> Currently reading: Finals over! *Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
> Human Anatomy and Physiology. *Now what to read?

Tenderloins, king crab legs, sauteed green beans, rosemary roasted
baby reds. Cheese tray to start with other munchie thingies. Oh and
some wine and more wine and more wine.......
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Our Christmas dinner is always Christmas Eve. It's small, close
family, plus it's the usually the only time of year that we have a rib
roast so the cost isn't important. We'll have Yorkshire pudding for
sure, vegetable to be decided. We didn't have pumpkin pie for
Thanksgiving (we were invited elsewhere and there were such a pie
selection, I didn't make it to the pumpkin), so I'll make pumpkin pie
for sure. We're going somewhere else for Christmas Day and it will be
a Thanksgiving type feast.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 2:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
>> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
>> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
>> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

> Our Christmas dinner is always Christmas Eve. It's small, close
> family, plus it's the usually the only time of year that we have a rib
> roast so the cost isn't important. We'll have Yorkshire pudding for
> sure, vegetable to be decided. We didn't have pumpkin pie for
> Thanksgiving (we were invited elsewhere and there were such a pie
> selection, I didn't make it to the pumpkin), so I'll make pumpkin pie
> for sure. We're going somewhere else for Christmas Day and it will be
> a Thanksgiving type feast.

I did find a butcher shop here selling rib roast for 5.99/lb...so I
don't suppose that price is too bad. I figure if I go that way I need 4
lbs for my family of 6. The twins won't eat much and my 5 year old won't
eat any. That just leaves my husband, my oldest daughter and myself.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 1:16*pm, ravenlynne > wrote:
> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? *I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. *We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Nothing special. Christmas Eve isn't a big deal in either my
husband's family or mine, so we aren't habituated to do anything
extraordinary.

We haven't even figured out what to do for Christmas Day.
Might be homemade pizza. Last year we did veal parm,
if memory serves. (That's his speciality; I can take it
or leave it.)

Two weeks? Yikes! We usually plan Sunday dinner (so
he can have the leftovers for lunches), I shop Friday night
or Saturday morning, and we wing it for the rest of the
days. (That's probably how we end up having the same
seven menus over and over on weeknights.)

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Almost everybody here has rib roasts on sale. $5/lb USDA select
from Sprouts and $6 from Newflower/Sunflower ("Presidential Cut").
USDA top 1/3rd Choice for $7.99 from Central Market, and $9.99 USDA
Prime or All Natural Choice from HEB.

Too bad all the sales end on Wednesday. So I'll probably get a
whole USDA Choice from Restaurant Depot for $5.69/lb.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ravenlynne > wrote:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Not sure. Could be tourtiere, though we need to do that when we're all
together, too. I know a couple people in my family who wouldn't mind
eating it two days of three. :-) Red cabbage and fried potatoes will
accompany.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote in news:ieg9ev$d6$2
@news.eternal-september.org:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Not sure about CE, that's a bit of a non-event as far as we're concerned.
The SO will be working CE and Boxing Day, but the powers that be have
graciously allowed her to have Xmas Day off!! And I'm on duty starting the
21st, right through till NYE (I volunteered to do the holiday shifts to
give the guys with young families.... and grandkids, time to spend with
their kids etc..... that's my Christmas gift to them ;-)

The SO wants grilled salmon steaks for her Christmas dinner, so that's
already sorted. And it looks like it's going to be a 'stinker' (ie, really
hot day), so it'll be cold salad and chilled bubbly to accompany.

We have #'s 1 and 2 daughters coming over for lunch tomorrow, as they will
be busy with the respective partners for CE and Xmas Day. #1 has already
been lined up and is quite eager to come over as she's been told to bring
an empty 'wheelie' suitcase with her to carry back all their presents :-)

(I hope it's full with *our* presents when they arive!!;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 12:16 PM, ravenlynne wrote:
> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're
> having ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on
> christmas day with whatever I decide to serve with it.

On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. This year, it will be
Chinese.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 2:34*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 12:16 PM, ravenlynne wrote:
>
> > What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? *I'm making my menus for
> > the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. *We're
> > having ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on
> > christmas day with whatever I decide to serve with it.

> On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. *This year, it will be
> Chinese.
>
> Becca

That's the American Spirit!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" wrote

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for the
> next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having ham
> (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day with
> whatever I decide to serve with it.

Normally we aren't really fancy with the Xmas foods. It's just us this
time, no guests. Normal for us would be a ham slice, or a whole fish, or
some combination of that. I usually make up some side munchies in a sort of
'not often made here' sort. Sushi rice balls with sweet redbean center
rolled in powdered purple plum then Xmas colored sprinkles.

Might rotisserie a chicken on Xmas day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 3:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Dec 17, 1:16 pm, > wrote:
>> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
>> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
>> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
>> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

> Nothing special. Christmas Eve isn't a big deal in either my
> husband's family or mine, so we aren't habituated to do anything
> extraordinary.
>
> We haven't even figured out what to do for Christmas Day.
> Might be homemade pizza. Last year we did veal parm,
> if memory serves. (That's his speciality; I can take it
> or leave it.)
>
> Two weeks? Yikes! We usually plan Sunday dinner (so
> he can have the leftovers for lunches), I shop Friday night
> or Saturday morning, and we wing it for the rest of the
> days. (That's probably how we end up having the same
> seven menus over and over on weeknights.)
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I have to plan carefully or I can go over budget easily.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 4:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:
>
>> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
>> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
>> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
>> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

> Almost everybody here has rib roasts on sale. $5/lb USDA select
> from Sprouts and $6 from Newflower/Sunflower ("Presidential Cut").
> USDA top 1/3rd Choice for $7.99 from Central Market, and $9.99 USDA
> Prime or All Natural Choice from HEB.
>
> Too bad all the sales end on Wednesday. So I'll probably get a
> whole USDA Choice from Restaurant Depot for $5.69/lb.
>
> -sw

I got a 5.13 lb one at the commissary for $25.62. That should feed us
three regular eaters and the twins. Middle son won't eat any, he's too
choosy.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 5:41 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:34 pm, Ema > wrote:
>> On 12/17/2010 12:16 PM, ravenlynne wrote:
>>
>>> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
>>> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're
>>> having ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on
>>> christmas day with whatever I decide to serve with it.

>> On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. This year, it will be
>> Chinese.
>>
>> Becca

> That's the American Spirit!!

Many of my friends are having chinese. They're jewish.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 4:27*pm, ravenlynne > wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 5:41 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. *This year, it will be
> >> Chinese.

> >> Becca

> > That's the American Spirit!!

> Many of my friends are having chinese. *They're jewish.
>
> --
> Currently reading: Finals over! *Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
> Human Anatomy and Physiology. *Now what to read?

Some my Amish friends are having matza balls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:34:53 -0600, Ema Nymton wrote:

> On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. This year, it will be
> Chinese.

For some reason Cantonese style roast duck has been a tradition at
my house on CE. I don't think it has anything to do with the
movie, "A Christmas Story".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 7:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:34:53 -0600, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. This year, it will be
>> Chinese.

> For some reason Cantonese style roast duck has been a tradition at
> my house on CE. I don't think it has anything to do with the
> movie, "A Christmas Story".
>
> -sw

fa ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
> the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
> ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
> with whatever I decide to serve with it.

The herring/pickled beet salad previously mentioned. Perhaps some
prawns/shrimp and other nibbles. Cocoa and biscuits/cookies (such as
lebkuchen) after the Christmas Eve tour to view the neighbourhood
lights.

Christmas dinner will also be ham. Haven't decided the trimmings yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for the
> next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having ham
> (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day with
> whatever I decide to serve with it.

We're having the Feast of Seven Fishes.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for the
> next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having ham
> (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day with
> whatever I decide to serve with it.
>
> --
> Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
> Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?

I have no idea what we'll have on Christmas Eve. I know that for Christmas
dinner we'll have pot roast. It's the only thing my mother can make for a
good size group without screwing it up. I'll make some scratch dinner rolls
to go along with it.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:25:51 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:

> Middle son won't eat any, he's too choosy.

<gasp> Won't eat ribeye? <shaking head>

Well, at least the rest of you should be pretty well off :-)

It's been rib roast on Christmas at my house for a couple decades.
The most I ever spent for one is $91 in 2001 and it was the worst
one ever. I wont spend that much this year. $50 is my limit this
year, so hopefully Restaurant Depot has some half-racks.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for the
> next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having ham
> (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day with
> whatever I decide to serve with it.

Someone gave me a recipe for cookies that use chickpea flour, no eggs. The
recipe does call for butter but I'm going to try dairy free margarine. I
think it is a Persian recipe. I also found a recipe for some no bake
snowball cookies that use oats. Recipe calls for instant oats but I'm going
to use whole gluten free oats and whiz them up a bit in the food processor
and hope that works. They also have cocoa in them. Roll in balls and roll
in powdered sugar. Also making peppermint bark.

No clue what we're eating for dinner. Most likely we will go out to eat.
We have so many food issues in the family! Both allergy and medical. It is
next to impossible to find one meal we can all eat.

I am doing a casserole for Christmas morning that has sweet Italian sausage,
onion, brown sugar and chunky applesauce. I don't like it at all but
daughter and husband like it.

Will be going to Costco over the weekend and will get some kind of meat and
some more produce. Did some grocery shopping today and yesterday. My
cupboards were bare save for some canned goods, pasta and rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2010 1:14 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:25:51 -0500, ravenlynne wrote:
>
>> Middle son won't eat any, he's too choosy.

> <gasp> Won't eat ribeye?<shaking head>

Won't even try anything but ham, hotdogs, pizza and macaroni and cheese.
It's been this way for years. Stubborn boy. His doctor doesn't
understand either. He hasn't eaten dinner for years. I give him what
we are having and he either eats or doesn't. There are too many people
here, I can't be a short order cook.

> Well, at least the rest of you should be pretty well off :-)

Oh we will be! I assume 5 lb will be enough from my google research.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:32:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I am doing a casserole for Christmas morning that has sweet Italian sausage,
> onion, brown sugar and chunky applesauce. I don't like it at all but
> daughter and husband like it.

Would you please post the recipe? It sounds interesting.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

>What are you guys cooking for christmas eve? I'm making my menus for
>the next two weeks so I can shop tomorrow and am blanking. We're having
>ham (dh request, rib roasts are too pricey this year) on christmas day
>with whatever I decide to serve with it.

Semi-traditionally we have beef vegetable soup and homemade French
bread.

BTW congratulations on the organic chem grade! I never did that well
in organic; analytical was my strength.
--
Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:32:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I am doing a casserole for Christmas morning that has sweet Italian
>> sausage,
>> onion, brown sugar and chunky applesauce. I don't like it at all but
>> daughter and husband like it.

> Would you please post the recipe? It sounds interesting.

I posted it the other day but I'll find it again.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sausag...er/Detail.aspx

Note: I do not use anywhere near that amount of sugar. Just a sprinkle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:18:18 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:32:51 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I am doing a casserole for Christmas morning that has sweet Italian
> >> sausage,
> >> onion, brown sugar and chunky applesauce. I don't like it at all but
> >> daughter and husband like it.

> > Would you please post the recipe? It sounds interesting.

> I posted it the other day but I'll find it again.
>
> http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sausag...er/Detail.aspx
>
> Note: I do not use anywhere near that amount of sugar. Just a sprinkle.

Thanks, but I'm not getting "breakfast casserole" out of an appetizer.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:42:21 -0600, Terry wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>

> BTW congratulations on the organic chem grade! I never did that well
> in organic; analytical was my strength.

i meant to congratulate raven also. well done!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2010 11:52 AM, blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:42:21 -0600, Terry wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
>> > wrote:
>>

>> BTW congratulations on the organic chem grade! I never did that well
>> in organic; analytical was my strength.

> i meant to congratulate raven also. well done!
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks to both of you...I worked harder than I ever have in school. I
was a point and a half from an A in Anatomy, but my professor wasn't
willing to give me any work to do to get the point and a half. Ah well...

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 2:44 PM, sf wrote:

> Our Christmas dinner is always Christmas Eve. It's small, close
> family, plus it's the usually the only time of year that we have a rib
> roast so the cost isn't important. We'll have Yorkshire pudding for
> sure, vegetable to be decided. We didn't have pumpkin pie for
> Thanksgiving (we were invited elsewhere and there were such a pie
> selection, I didn't make it to the pumpkin), so I'll make pumpkin pie
> for sure. We're going somewhere else for Christmas Day and it will be
> a Thanksgiving type feast.

I'm going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Pudding this year to go
with the prime rib my SIL is making. If you or anyone else has a good
recipe for me to try I'd be grateful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2010 7:54 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
> Won't even try anything but ham, hotdogs, pizza and macaroni and cheese.
> It's been this way for years. Stubborn boy. His doctor doesn't
> understand either. He hasn't eaten dinner for years. I give him what
> we are having and he either eats or doesn't. There are too many people
> here, I can't be a short order cook.

One of my sister's twins is like that and he's almost 11 now. I remember
the first weekend I had the twins at my house to give my sister a break,
I had to get food that he'd eat but I got the wrong brand of chicken
nuggets, and the peanut butter was crunchy not smooth. It would drive
me crazy to have a picky eater like that all the time. My sister just
makes things she knows he'll eat. His twin sister is a much better
eater. Both are very thin though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:15:45 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

> On 12/18/2010 7:54 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
>> Won't even try anything but ham, hotdogs, pizza and macaroni and cheese.
>> It's been this way for years. Stubborn boy. His doctor doesn't
>> understand either. He hasn't eaten dinner for years. I give him what
>> we are having and he either eats or doesn't. There are too many people
>> here, I can't be a short order cook.

> One of my sister's twins is like that and he's almost 11 now. I remember
> the first weekend I had the twins at my house to give my sister a break,
> I had to get food that he'd eat but I got the wrong brand of chicken
> nuggets, and the peanut butter was crunchy not smooth. It would drive
> me crazy to have a picky eater like that all the time. My sister just
> makes things she knows he'll eat. His twin sister is a much better
> eater. Both are very thin though.

I had a roommate when I first moved out of the nest that was an
obnoxiously picky eater. He didn't even know what a whole, raw
chicken looked like. But he was always broke and could barely
afford rent, let alone food. I cooked the food which he eventually
had to eat or die. We lived there maybe 6-8 months.

2 years later he went into a 16-month culinary academy program.
So even at age 21, there is still hope. Don't give up :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:13 -0500, ravenlynne
> arranged random neurons and said:

>On 12/19/2010 11:52 AM, blake murphy wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:42:21 -0600, Terry wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:16:48 -0500, ravenlynne
>>>

>>> BTW congratulations on the organic chem grade! I never did that well
>>> in organic; analytical was my strength.

>> i meant to congratulate raven also. well done!
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Thanks to both of you...I worked harder than I ever have in school. I
>was a point and a half from an A in Anatomy, but my professor wasn't
>willing to give me any work to do to get the point and a half. Ah well...

I meant to extend my congratulations, as well. Anatomy and Physiology
was the only college course I nearly flunked. I got my undergrad
degree in pharmacological chemistry and had no problem with memorizing
anything chemistry-related, but A and P just about killed off every
brain cell I owned. I memorized, I made word association games, I
tried setting the bones of the feet to music, for instance. Just drove
me wild. So, cheers, Raven! Well done!

OB: If it hadn't been for top ramen, I'd have starved to death in
college

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:10:47 -0500, Cheryl >
arranged random neurons and said:

>I'm going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Pudding this year to go
>with the prime rib my SIL is making. If you or anyone else has a good
>recipe for me to try I'd be grateful.

Cheryl, we have tweaked James Beard's original yorkie recipe and this
is now Bill's annual culinary masterpiece (not to be confused with his
omelet sofa cushion). It is absolutely perfect. The secret is getting
the fat hot before pouring in the puds:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Bill's Yorkshire Pudding

breads, meats and poultry

1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon pepper
beef drippings/suet

Beat the eggs until quite light and gradually beat in the milk and
sifted flour. Or put all at once into an electric mixer or blender and
beat or whirl for a few seconds, just until the batter is smooth.
Flavor with salt and add, if you like, 2 tablespoons drippings. Let
stand for one hour in the refrigerator

Pour up to 1/2" drippings into muffin tin and heat until very hot and
smoking. Then pour in the batter and bake at 450° F about 10 mins.
Reduce the heat to 375° F and continue baking for 15 to 20 mins or
until beautifully brown and puffy. Do not open the oven door during
the first 20 minutes of baking.

Contributor: James Beard's American Cookery (tweaked)

Yield: 6 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,
and if the turkey had had a breast like the maid,
it would have been a swell dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2010 7:29 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:31:13 -0500, ravenlynne
> > arranged random neurons and said:

>>> i meant to congratulate raven also. well done!
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Thanks to both of you...I worked harder than I ever have in school. I
>> was a point and a half from an A in Anatomy, but my professor wasn't
>> willing to give me any work to do to get the point and a half. Ah well...

> I meant to extend my congratulations, as well. Anatomy and Physiology
> was the only college course I nearly flunked. I got my undergrad
> degree in pharmacological chemistry and had no problem with memorizing
> anything chemistry-related, but A and P just about killed off every
> brain cell I owned. I memorized, I made word association games, I
> tried setting the bones of the feet to music, for instance. Just drove
> me wild. So, cheers, Raven! Well done!
>
> OB: If it hadn't been for top ramen, I'd have starved to death in
> college
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Thank you very much. I feel utterly brain dead after this semester...

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:10:47 -0500, Cheryl >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>> I'm going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Pudding this year to go
>> with the prime rib my SIL is making. If you or anyone else has a good
>> recipe for me to try I'd be grateful.

> Cheryl, we have tweaked James Beard's original yorkie recipe and this
> is now Bill's annual culinary masterpiece (not to be confused with his
> omelet sofa cushion). It is absolutely perfect. The secret is getting
> the fat hot before pouring in the puds:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Bill's Yorkshire Pudding
>
> breads, meats and poultry
>
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
> beef drippings/suet

Last night I used the Fanny Farmer recipe which has never failed me but
since there were 8 of us (including a 13 month old 98th percentile
eater) I made 1 1/2 times the recipe:

1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c. flour
3 eggs
pinch of garlic powder
salt and pepper

I cooked it in a hot 9x13 inch pan and a 7x11 inch oiled with beef
drippings. They ate every crumb.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:31:44 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:10:47 -0500, Cheryl >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >I'm going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Pudding this year to go
> >with the prime rib my SIL is making. If you or anyone else has a good
> >recipe for me to try I'd be grateful.

> Cheryl, we have tweaked James Beard's original yorkie recipe and this
> is now Bill's annual culinary masterpiece (not to be confused with his
> omelet sofa cushion). It is absolutely perfect. The secret is getting
> the fat hot before pouring in the puds:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Bill's Yorkshire Pudding
>
> breads, meats and poultry
>
> 1 cup milk
> 1 cup all-purpose flour
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 teaspoon pepper
> beef drippings/suet
>
> Beat the eggs until quite light and gradually beat in the milk and
> sifted flour. Or put all at once into an electric mixer or blender and
> beat or whirl for a few seconds, just until the batter is smooth.
> Flavor with salt and add, if you like, 2 tablespoons drippings. Let
> stand for one hour in the refrigerator
>
> Pour up to 1/2" drippings into muffin tin and heat until very hot and
> smoking. Then pour in the batter and bake at 450° F about 10 mins.
> Reduce the heat to 375° F and continue baking for 15 to 20 mins or
> until beautifully brown and puffy. Do not open the oven door during
> the first 20 minutes of baking.
>
> Contributor: James Beard's American Cookery (tweaked)
>
> Yield: 6 servings

That's certainly simple enough and as good a recipe as any, but I'd
put an asterisk by "beef drippings" to say - put drippings in a fat
separator and use only the fat (reserve all of the meat juice and a
little fat for gravy). I've followed ingredients exactly in the past
but I've found that I shouldn't use any more fat than it takes to coat
the bottom of the pan. Adding the meat juice is just a waste of good
gravy fixings because the flavor I'm looking for is contained in beef
fat.

Thanks for the recipe! Here's mine

The ingredients to I use for Yorkshire pudding are as follows:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 lg. eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup beef drippings (I use just enough to coat the pan)
3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2010 2:10 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 2:44 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> Our Christmas dinner is always Christmas Eve. It's small, close
>> family, plus it's the usually the only time of year that we have a rib
>> roast so the cost isn't important. We'll have Yorkshire pudding for
>> sure, vegetable to be decided. We didn't have pumpkin pie for
>> Thanksgiving (we were invited elsewhere and there were such a pie
>> selection, I didn't make it to the pumpkin), so I'll make pumpkin pie
>> for sure. We're going somewhere else for Christmas Day and it will be
>> a Thanksgiving type feast.

> I'm going to try my hand at making Yorkshire Pudding this year to go
> with the prime rib my SIL is making. If you or anyone else has a good
> recipe for me to try I'd be grateful.

Thank you all for the recipes and methods! I was going to try to do
cooking that I could do ahead of time, but since I'll need the beef
drippings and it's best done just before serving, I'll just mix the
batter part ahead and do the rest at brother and SIL's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 6:34*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:34:53 -0600, Ema Nymton wrote:
> > On Christmas Eve we have seafood or Chinese. *This year, it will be
> > Chinese.

> For some reason Cantonese style roast duck has been a tradition at
> my house on CE. *I don't think it has anything to do with the
> movie, "A Christmas Story".

"Fa-ra-ra-ra-raaa, ra-ra-ra-ra!"

menu planning hawoof General Cooking 4 24-01-2008 02:27 PM
Menu Planning again biig General Cooking 3 26-04-2006 09:30 PM
Menu Planning? Anthony General Cooking 41 25-04-2006 09:11 PM
Menu Planning? RobtE General Cooking 8 10-06-2005 02:06 PM
Menu planning Peter Aitken General Cooking 4 09-10-2004 10:43 AM