Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rapid Rise Yeast

I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.

Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
your recipe?

TIA,
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>
> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
> your recipe?

Not appreciably. It was fine.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:16:25 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>
> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
> your recipe?
>
> TIA,

I buy it instead of regular yeast and use it the regular way.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>
> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of your
> recipe?

It worked OK. I used it a lot when I was making pizza dough in the college
cafeteria decades ago. To me it didn't have that nice yeasty smell and
taste I like from slow rise yeast. It lacked some tang. I don't use it
when I make bread..

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:42:38 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
web.com...
>>I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>>the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>>worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>>
>> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
>> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
>> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of your
>> recipe?
>>

>It worked OK. I used it a lot when I was making pizza dough in the college
>cafeteria decades ago. To me it didn't have that nice yeasty smell and
>taste I like from slow rise yeast. It lacked some tang. I don't use it
>when I make bread..
>
>Paul

It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
period.

I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
many years.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 6:43 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:42:38 -0800, "Paul M. >
> wrote:
>

>> "Janet > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>>> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>>> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>>>
>>> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
>>> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
>>> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of your
>>> recipe?
>>>

>> It worked OK. I used it a lot when I was making pizza dough in the college
>> cafeteria decades ago. To me it didn't have that nice yeasty smell and
>> taste I like from slow rise yeast. It lacked some tang. I don't use it
>> when I make bread..
>>
>> Paul
>>

> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
> period.
>
> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
> many years.
>
> Boron

I use it frequently.

--
Currently reading: Finals over! Yay for an A in organic chem and a B in
Human Anatomy and Physiology. Now what to read?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:16:25 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>>
>> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
>> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
>> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
>> your recipe?
>>
>> TIA,

> I buy it instead of regular yeast and use it the regular way.

You don't have to raise the temp of the liquid?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 17, 3:43*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
> period.
>
> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
> many years.
>
> Boron

what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Dec 17, 3:43*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
>> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
>> period.
>>
>> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
>> many years.
>>
>> Boron

>what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

Nada, AFAIK. Fleischmann''s uses the terms interchangeably, too.

http://www.breadworld.com/products.aspx

>I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

Now you see, that IS a difference. I buy RRY by the pound and
vac-freeze it in smaller packets, then keep an ounce or so in the
fridge in a Tupperware container. I also tend to use fresh yeast or
sourdough starter more often than any sort of dry yeast, so I need
something dry that holds up like iron.

Dry yeast lasts forever in the freezer. I just used up a batch that
was "use by" dated from 2007. If you do not bake frequently, do not
store your yeast in the freezer and/or do not know if your yeast
purchase was made from products stored under ideal conditions, then go
ahead and proof.

Me? I hate to proof. It is 15 minutes that I could have spent in
getting the dough ready. Really, though...I bake breads and yeasted
goods so often, that I can skate blindfolded and backwards with this
stuff. I have few talents, but using yeast is one of them. If you have
ANY doubts, proof before you waste your time and ingredients.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:22:07 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 12/17/2010 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:16:25 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
> >> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
> >> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
> >>
> >> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
> >> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
> >> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
> >> your recipe?
> >>
> >> TIA,

> > I buy it instead of regular yeast and use it the regular way.
> >

> You don't have to raise the temp of the liquid?

I treat it just like regular yeast and heat the liquid to 110-115° and
use it like regular yeast. I figure if I ever need Rapid Rise, I
always have it on hand and won't need to make a special trip to the
store to buy it. There's no cost difference, so why not?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

I treat it the same as regular, proofing and all.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2010 12:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

> I treat it the same as regular, proofing and all.

Thanks to everyone. I'll just use it with my 110° to 115° recipes then.
I trust you folks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 17, 9:57*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:29 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> >On Dec 17, 3:43 am, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> >> It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
> >> use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
> >> period.

> >> I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
> >> many years.

> >> Boron

> >what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

> Nada, AFAIK. Fleischmann''s uses the terms interchangeably, too.
>
> http://www.breadworld.com/products.aspx
>
> >I still use active dry yeast and proof it.

> Now you see, that IS a difference. I buy RRY by the pound and
> vac-freeze it in smaller packets, then keep an ounce or so in the
> fridge in a Tupperware container. I also tend to use fresh yeast or
> sourdough starter more often than any sort of dry yeast, so I need
> something dry that holds up like iron.
>
> Dry yeast lasts forever in the freezer. *I just used up a batch that
> was "use by" dated from 2007. If you do not bake frequently, *do not
> store your yeast in the freezer and/or do not know if your yeast
> purchase was made from products stored under ideal conditions, then go
> ahead and proof.
>
> Me? I hate to proof. It is 15 minutes that I could have spent in
> getting the dough ready. Really, though...I bake breads and yeasted
> goods so often, that I can skate blindfolded and backwards with this
> stuff. I have few talents, but using yeast is one of them. If you have
> ANY doubts, proof before you waste your time and ingredients.
>
> Boron

I buy my yeast by the pound and keep it in the freezer. I just put
the liqud and the yeast to proof first while I'm gathering up
everhthing else and by the time I'm ready for it....it's all proofed
and ready. Easy peasy. But you bake probably every day....I only
bake on the weekends if I possiibly can so I don't find it a hassle to
proof the yeast.

BTW I've made that mixed grain bread I came up with from your
suggestion several times now an have given away many loaves to friends
and they LOVE it. It turned out to be a great recipe. Thanks!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:29:18 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>BTW I've made that mixed grain bread I came up with from your
>suggestion several times now an have given away many loaves to friends
>and they LOVE it. It turned out to be a great recipe. Thanks!!

That makes me very happy. You are very welcome.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Dec 17, 3:43*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
> > It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
> > use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
> > period.
> >
> > I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
> > many years.
> >
> > Boron

> what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

There's a good discussion of that he

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...ke-a-walk-on-t
he-wild-yeast-side/

(it's down a bit)

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:36:59 -0800, isw > wrote:

>In article
>,
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 17, 3:43*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>>
>> > It is easy to adapt any recipe to give you that flavor, though...just
>> > use less of the rapid rise yeast in it and allow for a longer rise
>> > period.
>> >
>> > I do not think I have had regular old active dry yeast in the house in
>> > many years.
>> >
>> > Boron

>> what is the difference between 'instant' yeast and 'rapid rise' yeast?

>There's a good discussion of that he
>
>http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...ke-a-walk-on-t
>he-wild-yeast-side/
>
>(it's down a bit)
>
>Isaac

I've read that article and I must say that I disagree with the use of
the term "gives out sooner" in describing any yeast. There is no such
thing to me. If the recipe proportions and instructions are correct,
if the dough, ferments and final proof are handled correctly this just
*does not happen." Period. Can a person forget about the bread and
overproof it? Of course, but that ain't the fault of the yeast.
Knowing when the dough is ready for the oven is something a baker
learns along the way.

And I admit that as someone who has worked in marketing for 35 years,
I always hesitate when a company such as KA seems to give to the
review edge to the product they sell In this case, SAF over
Fleischmann's).

KA as a company ain't what it used to be and I am a long-time
customer. I order frequently, actually, but so much of what they push
these days is mixes and conditioners and pre-made toppings and
fillings, etc., it disappoints me. I understand the need for growth
and I do not condemn any company for such success, nor any cook or
baker that uses these products, and KA certainly has not gone the
whole nine yards toward the Sandra Lee idea, but I guess I miss the
old days of KA when I used to drive up to the place in Vermont once in
awhile and shop.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:16:25 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>
>Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
>Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
>temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
>your recipe?
>
>TIA,

I use it pretty much interchangeably with regular and "active" yeast,
except it proofs much quicker than "regular dry" and I often just skip
that step. Works ok in bread machines, too, at least in my old
Breadman and the new Zoji. I'm using it right now making traditional
french loaves, both in the poolish and in the main dough. Works fine.
I use Star. Nice crumb in both loaves and baguettes.

BtW: Do you bake on a stone, pan or silPain, or maybe parchment paper
(thinking free form loaves here).

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2010 9:55 AM, Chemiker wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:16:25 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I bought a tri-pack of this by mistake. I was going to try to use it but
>> the directions are different from using regular active yeast and I was
>> worried that it might change my recipe. Bread can be finicky.
>>
>> Has anyone used rapid rise yeast in place of regular active dry yeast?
>> Does bringing all of the liquid (water and oil) to the required
>> temperature, then adding to the dry ingredients alter the results of
>> your recipe?
>>
>> TIA,

> I use it pretty much interchangeably with regular and "active" yeast,
> except it proofs much quicker than "regular dry" and I often just skip
> that step. Works ok in bread machines, too, at least in my old
> Breadman and the new Zoji. I'm using it right now making traditional
> french loaves, both in the poolish and in the main dough. Works fine.
> I use Star. Nice crumb in both loaves and baguettes.
>
> BtW: Do you bake on a stone, pan or silPain, or maybe parchment paper
> (thinking free form loaves here).
>
> Alex

Mostly free form. I use Silpat on an air pan. Sometimes I use a stone.

Mostly I bake challah

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:46:42 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

> And I admit that as someone who has worked in marketing for 35 years,
> I always hesitate when a company such as KA seems to give to the
> review edge to the product they sell In this case, SAF over
> Fleischmann's).

SAF/Red Star (owned by Lesaffre) is the "Official Yeast of KA's
Test Kitchen". They get free yeast, and significant profit when
they sell it and promote it through the KA site.

-sw