Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasoning cast iron

Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.

Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
dishwasher.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2010 8:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>
> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
> dishwasher.
>
> - Mark

Linseed Oil?????
No thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lil Abner" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2010 8:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>>
>> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
>> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
>> dishwasher.
>>
>> - Mark

> Linseed Oil?????
> No thanks

What are you accomplishing? Why not use nonstick instead? This is the kind
of garbage that Cook's Illustrated[Christopher Kimball] comes up with now
and then. Seasoned cast iron is seasoned cast iron.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 12/13/2010 7:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>
> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
> dishwasher.

Dang, I haven't seen the February 2011 issue of CI yet, so I can't
comment on the article/blurb you've mentioned. I've used linseed oil to
finish fine wood, but it's not something I'd want to use as a
'seasoning' agent for cast iron! Besides, it's not a good idea to wash
any cast iron in an automatic dishwasher AFAIK. Not to mention, it's
easy enough to wash cast iron by hand anywho

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:15:27 -0800, Kent wrote:

> "Lil Abner" > wrote in message
>> On 12/13/2010 8:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>>> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>>>
>>> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
>>> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
>>> dishwasher.
>>>
>>> - Mark

>> Linseed Oil?????
>> No thanks
>>

> What are you accomplishing? Why not use nonstick instead? This is the kind
> of garbage that Cook's Illustrated[Christopher Kimball] comes up with now
> and then. Seasoned cast iron is seasoned cast iron.

How do you get a high searing heat with a non-stick pan, Kent?

An what is wrong with flax seed oil? I don't plan on eating it.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote in news:8mo9ghFrplU1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 12/13/2010 7:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>>
>> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
>> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
>> dishwasher.

> Dang, I haven't seen the February 2011 issue of CI yet, so I can't
> comment on the article/blurb you've mentioned. I've used linseed oil to
> finish fine wood, but it's not something I'd want to use as a
> 'seasoning' agent for cast iron!

Flaxseed is food grade Linseed oil.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2010 11:31 PM, Aussie1 wrote:
> > wrote in news:8mo9ghFrplU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> On 12/13/2010 7:56 PM, Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>>> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>>>
>>> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
>>> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
>>> dishwasher.

>> Dang, I haven't seen the February 2011 issue of CI yet, so I can't
>> comment on the article/blurb you've mentioned. I've used linseed oil to
>> finish fine wood, but it's not something I'd want to use as a
>> 'seasoning' agent for cast iron!

> Flaxseed is food grade Linseed oil.

Does it taste like drying furniture?
Lard, or bacon drippings that are not full of water is the way to go.
Don't wash cast iron ever.
Rub it clean with a piece of burlap bag if you have to. Leave the crust
on the outside.
Once you ruin a cast iron skillet it take a long time to bring it back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 14, 10:13*am, Omelet > wrote:

> <lol>! *I wash my cast iron pans out with soap and water between every
> use, dry them and give them a light coating of oil when done. The only
> time I've ever had to re-season was if I deliberately stripped a pan, or
> accidently scorched it!

I do the same, wash gently with soap and water. Set it back on the
element on low to dry thoroughly and then apply
a coat of oil before storing.

To me the best seasoning of a cast iron pan is just constant usage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 7:56*pm, Mark A.Meggs > wrote:
> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>
> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
> dishwasher.

Only an idiot puts his cast iron into the dishwasher.

> - Mark

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Dec 14, 10:13 am, Omelet > wrote:

> <lol>! I wash my cast iron pans out with soap and water between every
> use, dry them and give them a light coating of oil when done. The only
> time I've ever had to re-season was if I deliberately stripped a pan, or
> accidently scorched it!

I do the same, wash gently with soap and water. Set it back on the
element on low to dry thoroughly and then apply
a coat of oil before storing.

To me the best seasoning of a cast iron pan is just constant usage.

reply: IMHO, there are three schools of thought. One, let it get as gungy
as you can. Two, wash lightly between uses, and oil. Three, scrub down to
the iron every time. I'm somewhere between one and two. I'll clean it very
lightly, and I want to get all the food out of it, as I find blackened
anything isn't real seasoning, and a black flake in any dish will detract
from it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 14, 3:23*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
..

> reply: *IMHO, there are three schools of thought. *One, let it get as gungy
> as you can. *Two, wash lightly between uses, and oil. *Three, scrub down to
> the iron every time. *I'm somewhere between one and two. *I'll clean it very
> lightly, and I want to get all the food out of it, as I find blackened
> anything isn't real seasoning, and a black flake in any dish will detract
> from it.
>
> Steve

Exactly. No leftovers in the next dish please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2010 03:23 PM, Steve B wrote:
> > wrote in message
> On Dec 14, 10:13 am, > wrote:
>>
>> <lol>! I wash my cast iron pans out with soap and water between every
>> use, dry them and give them a light coating of oil when done. The only
>> time I've ever had to re-season was if I deliberately stripped a pan, or
>> accidently scorched it!

> I do the same, wash gently with soap and water. Set it back on the
> element on low to dry thoroughly and then apply
> a coat of oil before storing.
>
> To me the best seasoning of a cast iron pan is just constant usage.
>
> reply: IMHO, there are three schools of thought. One, let it get as gungy
> as you can. Two, wash lightly between uses, and oil. Three, scrub down to
> the iron every time.

I don't do any of those things. I clean cast iron pans with water
between uses if necessary (no soap), and don't oil between uses. Nice
and seasoned, and I only have to reseason them very rarely. When that's
necessary, I scrub down to the iron, oil, superheat, wipe out, and oil
again before using.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 5:23*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> On Dec 14, 10:13 am, Omelet > wrote:
>

> > <lol>! I wash my cast iron pans out with soap and water between every
> > use, dry them and give them a light coating of oil when done. The only
> > time I've ever had to re-season was if I deliberately stripped a pan, or
> > accidently scorched it!

> I do the same, wash gently with soap and water. *Set it back on the
> element on low to dry thoroughly and then apply
> a coat of oil before storing.
>
> To me the best seasoning of a cast iron pan is just constant usage.
>
> reply: *IMHO, there are three schools of thought. *One, let it get as gungy
> as you can. *Two, wash lightly between uses, and oil. *Three, scrub down to
> the iron every time. *I'm somewhere between one and two. *I'll clean it very
> lightly, and I want to get all the food out of it, as I find blackened
> anything isn't real seasoning, and a black flake in any dish will detract
> from it.

School of thought 1.5 is never use any detergent. Hot water is
great. Some abrasion or isopropyl alcohol is OK when needed. I agree
about black flakes and constant usage. I didn't use cast iron for
many years because it required such loving care. These days I do use
it because even though it's labor intensive, it's a great tool.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:22:02 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Dec 13, 7:56*pm, Mark A.Meggs > wrote:
>> Check out the technique on page 30 of the February Cook's Illustrated.
>>
>> Repeated layers of flaxseed oil (AKA linseed oil) exposed to high
>> temperatures for prolonged time yields a surface that can survive a
>> dishwasher.

>Only an idiot puts his cast iron into the dishwasher.
>>
>> - Mark

>--Bryan

They weren't advocating putting cast-iron in a dishwasher. They were
trying to point out how tough the flaxseed finish is.

Knee jerk ad hominem attacks are in themselves a sign of being an
idiot.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

To all -

If you have not read the article and/or tried the technique, you have
NO basis to automaticall reject it

FWIT flaxseed oil, which is sold as a nutritional supplement for the
Omega-3 oils does not taste or smell like furniture finishing linseed
oil (guessing on the taste part - I haven't tried tasting linseed
oil).

From the article "We carried out Canter's approach on new, unseasoned
cast-iron skillets and compared them to pans treated with vegetabke
oil - and the results amazed us. The flaxseed oil so effectively
bonded to the skillets, forming a sheer, stick-resistant venner, that
even a run through our commercial dishwasher with a squirt of
degreaser left them totally unscathed."

"Over prolonged exposure to to high heat, these fatty acids combine to
form a strong solid matrix that polymerizes to the pans surface."

I realize that cast-iron is like a religious or political ideology to
many - articles of faith not backed up by fact.

- Mark