Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ahh Italiano!

Pizza Rolls

1/4 lb. Old English cheese, grated
1 small bottle stuffed olives, chopped
1/4 cup catsup or tomato sauce
1 tsp. olive oil
1/8 tsp. cayenne or chili powder
1/2 green pepper
1 small onion

Chop or grind pepper and onion; simmer for about 5 minutes in a little
water. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients. Scoop out centers of
long, halved finger rolls. Fill with above mixture. Place in
moderate oven until cheese is melted.

These are welcome for breakfast with stewed prunes and espresso.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Pizza Rolls
>
> 1/4 lb. Old English cheese, grated
> 1 small bottle stuffed olives, chopped
> 1/4 cup catsup or tomato sauce
> 1 tsp. olive oil
> 1/8 tsp. cayenne or chili powder
> 1/2 green pepper
> 1 small onion
>
> Chop or grind pepper and onion; simmer for about 5 minutes in a little
> water. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients. Scoop out centers of
> long, halved finger rolls. Fill with above mixture. Place in
> moderate oven until cheese is melted.
>
> These are welcome for breakfast with stewed prunes and espresso.

This reminds me of the "pizza" that I made for my brother when I was about 4
or 5. First I would pull out the cutting board to serve as a special table.
I then put a little cloth on it and a flower in a vase.

I would make a piece of toast, put ketchup on it, a slice of American cheese
and a slice of bologna. If I wanted to be really fancy I would use olive
loaf. But we didn't seem to have that very often.

Once I made him a cocktail to go with it. I used a stemmed pudding dish
with a stuffed green olive and some 7 Up. Somebody must have been sick
because we didn't have 7 Up very often. Mostly we had cans of Shasta diet
soda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:46:05 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 12-Dec-2010, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Mostly we had cans of Shasta diet
>> soda.

>Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

I buy Polar diet Half & Half
http://www.polarbev.com/Default.aspx?tabid=60

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 12-Dec-2010, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Mostly we had cans of Shasta diet
>> soda.

> Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

I loved most of the flavors. Not the cola so much though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "l, not -l" > wrote:
>

>> On 12-Dec-2010, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Mostly we had cans of Shasta diet
>>> soda.

>> Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

> I can't remember the brand name but after Pop's first heart attack he
> guzzled diet "pineapple grapefruit" soda.
>
> Chock full of saccharin as a sugar substitute.
>
> I tried it exactly once. Terrible stuff, imho. He got to keep it all to
> himself, no problem!!!

I used to love saccharine!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> l, not -l,
>
> We were the "Munsters" at the kitchen table, is how I can best explain
> us.
>
> Our Sis liked ketchup but wouldn't and still doesn't eat tomatoes.

My brother was and still is the same. My daughter is the same.

> Me? I hardly ever ate anything!
>
> Reluctantly, I ate usual dinner salad.

I was once banned from making salad, after eating the whole entire head of
iceberg when making the salad.

> It all smelled great around the house, while cooking, it just didn't
> look so great on the plate.
>
> I learned fast, once I was away from home!

Heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 13-Dec-2010, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>> >Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

>> I buy Polar diet Half & Half
>> http://www.polarbev.com/Default.aspx?tabid=60

> Half & Half sounds pretty good; I'd like to try it and the Bitter Lemon.
> Have never seen it around here (St. Louis area); but, I'll specifically
> look
> next time I'm in the soda and mixer aisles.

I was in a play once where I was in an apartment with a power outage. I
asked the host for a bitter lemon and wound up getting a real cocktail on
which I got very drunk because I wasn't used to drinking liquor.

I had to buy a bottle of bitter lemon to make it look authentic. Then I
decided to try it. They were NOT kidding when they said it was bitter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 10:13*am, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 13-Dec-2010, Andy > wrote:

> > > Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

> > I can't remember the brand name but after Pop's first heart attack he
> > guzzled diet "pineapple grapefruit" soda.

> > Chock full of saccharin as a sugar substitute.

> > I tried it exactly once. Terrible stuff, imho. He got to keep it all to
> > himself, no problem!!!

It doesn't fit into your sloppy party BUM diet.

> > Andy

> No saccharin in Diet Shasta in the modern era; I can't imagine any diet soda
> using sachharine anymore. *Nutrasweet long ago replaced saccharin in sodas
> and now Splenda has pretty much replaced Nutrasweet.

That's not true. The overwhelming majority of diet sodas still use
aspartame. Coke and Pepsi both make Splenda sweetened, but it doesn't
sell anywhere near as much. Diet Rite has had Splenda for a long
time. Diet 7 Up used Splenda for a while, then went back to
Nutrasweet. "The 7 Up company claims they switched back to aspartame
because they conducted a nation-wide study showing that people
preferred the 'aspartame taste' over the taste of Splenda-brand
Sweetener." I only buy Splenda for home sweetening, but I prefer
sodas sweetened with aspartame (regular Diet Coke over Diet Coke With
Splenda). What I love Splenda with is grapefruit.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 13, 2:00*pm, Andy > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> It all smelled great around the house, while cooking, it just didn't
> >> look so great on the plate.

> >> I learned fast, once I was away from home!

> > Heh!

> Julie,
>
> My life story: I basically grew up on bread & butter and milk. Mom once
> took me to the doc, concerned about my eating habits. Doc said he seems
> to be getting all the right nutrients, leave him alone. I'm the tallest
> in generations.
>
> Eggs were only acceptable when mixed into pancake batter.
>
> Look up "picky" in the dictionary. Yep, that was me THEN!!!
>
> Andy

I wouldn't call 3 very feet tall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> I can't remember the brand name but after Pop's first heart attack he
>>> guzzled diet "pineapple grapefruit" soda.
>>>
>>> Chock full of saccharin as a sugar substitute.
>>>
>>> I tried it exactly once. Terrible stuff, imho. He got to keep it all
>>> to himself, no problem!!!

>> I used to love saccharine!

> Julie,
>
> I took some saccharin tablets (for adding to a cup of coffee) on a
> hiking trip, thinking it would be a lightly portable and good sweet. I
> put one on my tongue and it was the most bitter thing I ever tasted.
> Nevermind the fact that the bitter aftertaste lasted for hours. ICK!!! :
> (((
>
> I forget what illness it was noted for.

That's what I liked was the bitter aftertaste. I used to drink Tab. It's
no good the way they make it now. I never liked anything in my coffee.
Could only drink it black.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>>> It all smelled great around the house, while cooking, it just didn't
>>> look so great on the plate.
>>>
>>> I learned fast, once I was away from home!

>> Heh!

> Julie,
>
> My life story: I basically grew up on bread & butter and milk. Mom once
> took me to the doc, concerned about my eating habits. Doc said he seems
> to be getting all the right nutrients, leave him alone. I'm the tallest
> in generations.
>
> Eggs were only acceptable when mixed into pancake batter.
>
> Look up "picky" in the dictionary. Yep, that was me THEN!!!

I would eat pancakes with "butter" on them. It was actually margarine. I
wouldn't eat syrup. We didn't have real syrup in the house. Just fake
stuff and sometimes they made it with brown sugar and maple flavoring. I
would eat syrup on French Toast, but just a few drops. I would sift on as
much powdered sugar as I could get away with. We had a Tupperware sifter
that was designed to store the sugar in it. One of my parents would always
cut me off and then I would add a few drops of syrup to make an icing.

I didn't care for eggs much. My mom said poached eggs were the only thing I
would eat after I had my tonsils out. I must have been really sick because
I just can't imagine! I would eat them hard boiled either plain deviled or
in egg salad. Would eat them hard fried (crisp) with just salt and no
pepper. Didn't like scrambled too much but they were easy to make so I
would sometimes eat them.

I come from a family of picky eaters. My dad hated to try anything new and
if it was new, he would run his fork through it looking for spices. If he
saw something he didn't recognize, he would demand to know what it was
before he ate it. My step grandpa would not touch a leftover nor would he
eat outside. My brother was a pickier eater than I was. My mom would serve
us cold cereal (but not too often) and more often raisins in hot oatmeal and
then stand there making gagging noises telling us she didn't know how we
could eat it. I thought this was rather unfair because it was all that she
served us.

I was tall but very much underweight as a child. I ate a lot! But I ate
mostly vegetables so I probably wasn't taking in an overly lot of calories.
I would get mad at the Dr. because he was always asking my mom if I was
anorexic. If only I had that problem now! I only have to look at food and
I put on weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:13 am, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 13-Dec-2010, Andy > wrote:

> > > Yummm; Shasta Diet Grapefruit - my favorite.

> > I can't remember the brand name but after Pop's first heart attack he
> > guzzled diet "pineapple grapefruit" soda.

> > Chock full of saccharin as a sugar substitute.

> > I tried it exactly once. Terrible stuff, imho. He got to keep it all to
> > himself, no problem!!!

It doesn't fit into your sloppy party BUM diet.

> > Andy

> No saccharin in Diet Shasta in the modern era; I can't imagine any diet
> soda
> using sachharine anymore. Nutrasweet long ago replaced saccharin in sodas
> and now Splenda has pretty much replaced Nutrasweet.

That's not true. The overwhelming majority of diet sodas still use
aspartame. Coke and Pepsi both make Splenda sweetened, but it doesn't
sell anywhere near as much. Diet Rite has had Splenda for a long
time. Diet 7 Up used Splenda for a while, then went back to
Nutrasweet. "The 7 Up company claims they switched back to aspartame
because they conducted a nation-wide study showing that people
preferred the 'aspartame taste' over the taste of Splenda-brand
Sweetener." I only buy Splenda for home sweetening, but I prefer
sodas sweetened with aspartame (regular Diet Coke over Diet Coke With
Splenda). What I love Splenda with is grapefruit.

---
Once in a while I will buy a Splenda sweetened beverage. It's either 7Up or
Sprite. Can't remember which. I preferred it when it had Aspartame.
Mostly I drink Diet Coke with Lime. Plain Diet Coke if I can't get that but
I prefer that with a squeeze of lemon juice. If at a restaurant I always
get lemon for my salad then after using it on that I will put it in my
drink.

I don't use many sweeteners at home but do use Splenda once or twice a year
in cranberry salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.71...
> On Mon 13 Dec 2010 05:34:40p, Julie Bove told us...

>>> Julie,
>>>
>>> I took some saccharin tablets (for adding to a cup of coffee) on
>>> a hiking trip, thinking it would be a lightly portable and good
>>> sweet. I put one on my tongue and it was the most bitter thing I
>>> ever tasted. Nevermind the fact that the bitter aftertaste lasted
>>> for hours. ICK!!! : (((
>>>
>>> I forget what illness it was noted for.

>> That's what I liked was the bitter aftertaste. I used to drink
>> Tab. It's no good the way they make it now. I never liked
>> anything in my coffee. Could only drink it black.

> Years ago, before cyclamates became iillegal in the US, I used to
> like the Kool Aid packages sweetened with it.
>
> I used it in a few other things, too, but unfortunately the sweetness
> was destroyed when cooking with it, although it worked in hot
> beverages, just not cooking temperatures.

I liked the cyclamates too. I think they were also in Wylers. We didn't
get regular soft drinks very often. We did have Slushy mugs and they only
worked with regular.

I got Angela a Slushy mug for Christmas. I am hoping it will work with
fruit juice. I don't like her to have regular either. We didn't have fruit
just when I was a kid except for a tiny glass of orange for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I don't use many sweeteners at home but do use Splenda once or twice a
>> year in cranberry salad.

> A friend is a Splenda packet hound! She more than helps herself to a dozen
> or more packets where available. Shameless!
>
> BTW, since February of this year, aspartame was renamed "Aminosweet." I
> don't know if all products list it under it's new name. They felt
> aspartame
> was getting too much "bad press." Shameful!

Not on my can of Diet Coke with Lime it isn't!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> A friend is a Splenda packet hound! She more than helps herself to a
>>> dozen or more packets where available. Shameless!
>>>
>>> BTW, since February of this year, aspartame was renamed "Aminosweet."
>>> I don't know if all products list it under it's new name. They felt
>>> aspartame
>>> was getting too much "bad press." Shameful!

>> Not on my can of Diet Coke with Lime it isn't!

> Maybe I missed it but I don't think my supermarket sells Diet Coke with
> Lime. Maybe it's a regional thing? I drink caffeine-free diet Coke.

I don't think so. I could get it in NY and PA, and I did. Now granted the
part of PA I was shopping in was around Berwick.

Kielbasa and Rice Italiano Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2007 11:04 AM
Green Beans Italiano 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 06-11-2004 05:02 PM
VINO ITALIANO federico Wine 0 25-10-2004 08:35 PM
Antipasto Italiano - NOT a recipe Luca Pinotti General Cooking 5 06-10-2004 07:18 PM