Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Southern Dinner Tonight

I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
sides... it's what's for dinner!

What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 3:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

Albacore in some linguine alfredo, bread and salad. Oh...and plenty
of wine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 18:21:06 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
>good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
>So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
>What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

Sold! I did a paella tonight- but fried chicken is just what those
butter biscuits that I just found are begging to be served with.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
> really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few
> times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?

The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. Flour,
egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.

Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
minutes.

When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.

Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 9, 3:45*pm, JL > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
> > really good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few
> > times a year.
> > So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> > sides... it's what's for dinner!

> > What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

> > Jill

> Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>
> The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. *Flour,
> egg and bread crumb the chicken. *Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
> coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.
>
> Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
> minutes.
>
> When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.
>
> Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>
> --
>
> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>
> Domine, dirige nos.
>
> Let the games begin!http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

that sounds like a cheaters coq au vin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
>good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

Chicken nuggets here. Ian's gluten free. And some baby carrots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:39*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> >good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> > So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> > sides... it's what's for dinner!

> > What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

A head of rough chopped cabbage cooked with diced ham and a small
skillet of cornbread which was slathered with butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

An assortment of leftovers: chicken, broccoli, potatoes and a tomato.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

It's gloomy, wet, and a bit chilly here. Lin made the perfect dish for the
weather: chicken & dumplings.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
>good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
>So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
>What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
>Jill

Trader Joe's seafood blend satuéd in garlic butter, served over whole
wheat angel hair pasta, with wine of course. ;-)

koko

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

Rhubarb. My dog killed the owner of a rhubarb patch over in the next
county. I got all the ****in' rhubarb I want. I'm so lucky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Dec 9, 3:45 pm, JL > wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>>I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
>>>really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few
>>>times a year.
>>>So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>>>sides... it's what's for dinner!

>>>What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

>>>Jill

>>Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>>
>>The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. Flour,
>>egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
>>coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.
>>
>>Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
>>minutes.
>>
>>When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.
>>
>>Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>>

> that sounds like a cheaters coq au vin

The original recipe was from a colonial Williamsburg cook book, where in
its called a fricassee. No onions, mushrooms or bacon.

Then there's the *** guy who spills red wine in his lap and his boy
friend says "never mind, i just love coq au vine."

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" > wrote in message ...

> jmcquown wrote:
>> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
>> good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a
>> year.
>> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>>
>> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>>
>> Jill

> Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>
> The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. Flour, egg
> and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
> coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.
>
> Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
> minutes.
>
> When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.
>
> Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>
> --
>
> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner. I didn't
want gravy or sauce. I bought fried chicken. Crispy, crunchy drumsticks
and thighs. No gravy anywhere near this delicious fried chicken

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2010 6:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
> really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times
> a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

It was my birthday but my oldest had dental work and wasn't feeling well
so we stayed in. We had tossed Greek salad, spanakopita, sauteed shrimp
with a copycat recipe of the benihana shrimp sauce, filet mignon cooked
med rare, sauteed mushrooms and zucchini. For dessert they got me a
cupcake with a candle. I'm getting a full cake on saturday at a
christmas get together.

--
Currently reading: It's finals and WoW Cataclysm is out, I'll probably
never read again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 5:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken

I remember that of the 4 grocers in Tampa Bay, Publix had the best
fried chicken. Still, nowhere near Popeye's.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 4:13*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "JL" > wrote in ...
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> >> good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a
> >> year.
> >> So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> >> sides... it's what's for dinner!

> >> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

> >> Jill

> > Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?

> > The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. *Flour, egg
> > and bread crumb the chicken. *Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
> > coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.

> > Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
> > minutes.

> > When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.

> > Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.

> > --

> > Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

> That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner. *I didn't
> want gravy or sauce. *I bought fried chicken. *Crispy, crunchy drumsticks
> and thighs. *No gravy anywhere near this delicious fried chicken

Good fried chicken drumsticks are one of the joys of life. So is
fried fish.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Dec 2010 12:41:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 10 Dec 2010 03:13:22a, jmcquown told us...

>>> Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>>>
>>> The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast.
>>> Flour, egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to
>>> set the outer coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and
>>> add a cup of red wine.
>>>
>>> Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for
>>> 20 - 30 minutes.
>>>
>>> When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the
>>> gravy.
>>>
>>> Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>>>

>> That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner.
>> I didn't want gravy or sauce. I bought fried chicken. Crispy,
>> crunchy drumsticks and thighs. No gravy anywhere near this
>> delicious fried chicken
>>
>> Jill
>>

>I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
>smothered in gravy. The same for chicken fried steak.

The gravy goes on the mashed potatoes or biscuits.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "JL" > wrote in message ...
>

>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
>>> really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few
>>> times a year.
>>> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>>> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>>>
>>> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>>
>> The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. Flour,
>> egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to set the
>> outer coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of
>> red wine.
>>
>> Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 -
>> 30 minutes.
>>
>> When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.
>>
>> Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>>

> That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner. I
> didn't want gravy or sauce. I bought fried chicken. Crispy, crunchy
> drumsticks and thighs. No gravy anywhere near this delicious fried
> chicken
>
> Jill

The suggestion was for informational purposes only. Red wine and beef
gravy with chicken was not something i would have thought of on my own.

Its the combination of flavors i was praising.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 03:13:22a, jmcquown told us...

>>>Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?
>>>
>>>The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast.
>>>Flour, egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to
>>>set the outer coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and
>>>add a cup of red wine.
>>>
>>>Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for
>>>20 - 30 minutes.
>>>
>>>When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the
>>>gravy.
>>>
>>>Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>>>

>>That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner.
>> I didn't want gravy or sauce. I bought fried chicken. Crispy,
>>crunchy drumsticks and thighs. No gravy anywhere near this
>>delicious fried chicken
>>
>>Jill
>>

> I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
> smothered in gravy. The same for chicken fried steak.

I never understand people who cant understand variations on a theme.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 6:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

We're finishing the shopping today, I hope. And will go for the raw
fish in
some form at our favorite Japanese Restaurant. I've been diagnosed
with
either Lupus or Rheumatoid Arthritis, still don't know which, and my
get
up and go, got up and went. Trying to do things the easiest way this
year. At least it's not as bad as it was this summer when I spent
almost
5 weeks in bed in big pain with swollen stiff joints. Glad THAT is
gone.
MMMMMmmmmm, sushi, sashimi, can't wait.

Since Life gets busy from now til after the holidaze, I want to wish
everyone
meaningful, family filled, joyful times. Be well, stay warm, Ehugs,
Nanzi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 7:42 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 04:57:36a, ravenlynne told us...
>
>> On 12/9/2010 6:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes
>>> some really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it
>>> a few times a year.
>>> So, a really southern style meal. mac& cheese and turnip greens
>>> as sides... it's what's for dinner!
>>>
>>> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It was my birthday but my oldest had dental work and wasn't
>> feeling well so we stayed in. We had tossed Greek salad,
>> spanakopita, sauteed shrimp with a copycat recipe of the benihana
>> shrimp sauce, filet mignon cooked med rare, sauteed mushrooms and
>> zucchini. For dessert they got me a cupcake with a candle. I'm
>> getting a full cake on saturday at a christmas get together.
>>

> I doubt you could have had a more delightful meal at a restaurant.
> Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Thanks, and I agree!

--
Currently reading: It's finals and WoW Cataclysm is out, I'll probably
never read again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 9:42*am, JL > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

> >> Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?

> >> The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. *Flour,
> >> egg and bread crumb the chicken. *Saute in hot oil just to set the
> >> outer coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of
> >> red wine.

> >> Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 -
> >> 30 minutes.

> >> When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.

> >> Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.

> >> --

> >> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

> > That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner. *I
> > didn't want gravy or sauce. *I bought fried chicken. *Crispy, crunchy
> > drumsticks and thighs. *No gravy anywhere near this delicious fried
> > chicken

> > Jill

> The suggestion was for informational purposes only. Red wine and beef
> gravy with chicken *was not something i would have thought of on my own..
>
> Its the combination of flavors i was praising.

I remember going to a buffet back in 1996 where I had three different
classes of animal in one meal, beef, chicken and (I think) pollock
fish. It was a treat.

> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JL" > wrote in message ...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

(snippage)

>>>That wasn't what I was setting out to accomplish with this dinner.
>>> I didn't want gravy or sauce. I bought fried chicken. Crispy,
>>>crunchy drumsticks and thighs. No gravy anywhere near this
>>>delicious fried chicken
>>>Jill

>> I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then smothered
>> in gravy. The same for chicken fried steak.

> I never understand people who cant understand variations on a theme.
>
> --
>
> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Did I ask for variations? Sometimes one doesn't want variations. The
"theme" was a simple southern dinner. That's what I wanted, that's what I
got

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> On 12/9/2010 6:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some
>> really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times
>> a year.
>> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
>> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>>
>> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>>
>> Jill

> It was my birthday but my oldest had dental work and wasn't feeling well
> so we stayed in. We had tossed Greek salad, spanakopita, sauteed shrimp
> with a copycat recipe of the benihana shrimp sauce, filet mignon cooked
> med rare, sauteed mushrooms and zucchini. For dessert they got me a
> cupcake with a candle. I'm getting a full cake on saturday at a christmas
> get together.
>
> --
> Currently reading: It's finals and WoW Cataclysm is out, I'll probably
> never read again.

Happy Belated Birthday! And ouchie for the oldests' dental work. Mmmm, I
love filet minon

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.71...
> On Thu 09 Dec 2010 07:35:02p, Bob Terwilliger told us...
>
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes
>>> some really good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in
>>> it a few times a year. So, a really southern style meal. mac &
>>> cheese and turnip greens as sides... it's what's for dinner!
>>>
>>> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

>> It's gloomy, wet, and a bit chilly here. Lin made the perfect dish
>> for the weather: chicken & dumplings.
>>
>> Bob

> Rolled or drop? In either case, one of my favorite comfort foods.

I, too, love chicken & dumplings. I make drop dumplings. Sometimes
cornmeal dumplings. I'll have to put that on my list. It's been rather
chilly here in SC lately

Jill

Senior Member

Location: WI

Ever cook chicken in beef gravy with red wine?

The recipe i have calls for skinless boneless chicken breast. Flour,
egg and bread crumb the chicken. Saute in hot oil just to set the outer
coating then transfer to a pot of beef gravy and add a cup of red wine.

Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and let cook for 20 - 30
minutes.

When done remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and stir the gravy.

Slice the breasts or serve whole with the gravy.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Never tried it but it sure sounds like the makings of a great meal. Thanks for this one.

Tonight, I'm going with fresh pasta sauce (tomato, onion, garlic, OO, homemade hot Italian sausage, fresh basi)l tossed with the pasta and some wanna be Italian bread (yes, the machine kind). Gotta pick up some wine, though. Any suggestions?

Ho-hum. Not much time tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
>good fried chicken I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> So, a really southern style meal. mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> sides... it's what's for dinner!
>
> What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?
>
> Jill

Home made spicy chorizo vegetable soup. Made by a friend. We had
cabbage roll soup last night and my friend and I often trade home made
soups. She delivered hers this afternoon and picked up some of mine. I'll
make baking powder biscuits to go with it...or maybe garlic bread.....Sharon
in Ontario Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
>smothered in gravy.

Agree

>The same for chicken fried steak.

Well, one different there is the CFS is boneless, therefore a
little easier to manage with gravy on it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2010 7:00 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> that sounds like a cheaters coq au vin

Oooo, I need to make some coq au vin. Good cold weather food. Yum!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Dec 10, 9:42 am, JL wrote:
>

>>>"JL" wrote

>>The suggestion was for informational purposes only. Red wine and beef
>>gravy with chicken was not something i would have thought of on my own.
>>
>>Its the combination of flavors i was praising.
>>

> I remember going to a buffet back in 1996 where I had three different
> classes of animal in one meal, beef, chicken and (I think) pollock
> fish. It was a treat.
>
>>Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>>

> --Bryan

Fish and chicken is a favorite. Either whole or ground.

A combo of ground chicken & ground shrimp i got from a Korean cooking
show (saute or pouch in stock) and a saute of diced chicken and shrimp
with butter, garlic and white wine from one of Julia Childs later t.v.
shows iirc.

A Japanese cooking show i saw combined a dice of cooked potatoes with
beaten eggs and imo cooking the potatoes with the eggs produces a better
flavor then if serving them separately.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "JL" > wrote in message ...
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 03:13:22a, jmcquown told us...

> (snippage)

>>> I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
>>> smothered in gravy. The same for chicken fried steak.

>> I never understand people who cant understand variations on a theme.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.
>>

> Did I ask for variations? Sometimes one doesn't want variations. The
> "theme" was a simple southern dinner. That's what I wanted, that's what
> I got
>
> Jill

Perhaps i should have written "for conversational purposes only".

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 08:45:05a, JL told us...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 10 Dec 2010 03:13:22a, jmcquown told us...

>>>I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
>>>smothered in gravy. The same for chicken fried steak.
>>>

>>I never understand people who cant understand variations on a
>>theme.
>>

> Then there's a lot you'll never understand.

There's a lot i don't understand now, the universe is a big place and i
don't except to achieve omniscience any day soon.

However, conversation, is not a particularly difficult or obscure subject.
--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne wrote:

>> It's gloomy, wet, and a bit chilly here. Lin made the perfect dish
>> for the weather: chicken & dumplings.

> Rolled or drop? In either case, one of my favorite comfort foods.

Drop dumplings, great comfort food.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>> I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
>> smothered in gravy.

> Agree
>
>> The same for chicken fried steak.

> Well, one different there is the CFS is boneless, therefore a
> little easier to manage with gravy on it.

The idea is that you have to eat it quickly before the crunch goes away.

How do you feel about katsu, or udon with tempura? Those are both more
extreme versions of the same crunch-with-liquid idea.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 03:52:01p, JL told us...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 10 Dec 2010 08:45:05a, JL told us...

>>>Then there's a lot you'll never understand.
>>>

>>There's a lot i don't understand now, the universe is a big place
>>and i don't except to achieve omniscience any day soon.
>>
>>However, conversation, is not a particularly difficult or obscure
>>subject.

> Joseph, you seem to post a lot of things "for conversation only", but
> it often comes out as specific suggestion. I have to agree with Jill
> on this one.

Do what thou wilt and all that.....without a word for word
deconstruction of my original statements i don't see any contextual
resolution to what is ultimately individual perceptions.

De gustibus non est & all that

Best tasting composed chicken dish i have had is the chicken in beef
gravy with red wine.

Vietnamese lemon chicken runs a close second

I have had very fresh, boutique chickens that tasted so good on their
own as little as possible was done to them aside from cooking them.
Roasted, grilled or boiled. Chicken so good it don't need any
seasonings or coatings.

With ordinary big box food mart chicken i often as not make a composed
dish of them, rather than frying. Roast and then disassemble.

I am fond of Lydia's Kitchen Italian technique of browning thighs and
legs in oil and onions & etc. and then adding whole tomatoes & sauce &
simmer for an hour or so. But that's just another Fricassee. I do like
a nice chicken cordon bleu but wont make it for myself. However i have
been known to make a chicken stock just so i can make a chicken gravy to
serve with my beef, chicken fried steak

And no, i don't put white wine in the chicken gravy when i serve it with
the chicken fried steak.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I have never eaten tempura that was actually served *in* a sauce,
>although there were dipping sauces. I like that just fine. If the
>tempura had been served covered in sauce I doubt I would have liked
>it.

Udon with tempura is (in my experience) served with the tempura pieces
already floating around in the broth.

I'm guessing in Japan it is served so quickly they have not yet
become waterlogged, like they typically are in the U.S.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 5:30*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 3:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> > good fried chicken *I allow myself to indulge in it a few times a year.
> > So, a really southern style meal. *mac & cheese and turnip greens as
> > sides... it's what's for dinner!

> > What's for dinner in your neck of the woods?

> > Jill

> *Albacore in some linguine alfredo, bread and salad. Oh...and plenty
> of wine!

LOL @ Tuna Helper, Wonder bread and boxed wine. Your salad was tossed
behind the dumpster at the 7-11, no doubt. *snicker*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . 71>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I've never understood beautifully fried chicken that was then
> smothered in gravy.

I agree.

> The same for chicken fried steak.

Different for me. I love crisp chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes
smothered in white gravy made in the CFS remnants. I grew up with this.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 6:36*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 5:21*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > I haven't actually fried chicken in 30 years but Publix makes some really
> > good fried chicken

> I remember that of the 4 grocers in Tampa Bay, Publix had the best
> fried chicken. *Still, nowhere near Popeye's.

You constantly astound me. You eat POPEYES????!!!???!!!!!???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

>Different for me. I love crisp chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes
>smothered in white gravy made in the CFS remnants. I grew up with this.

Isn't it a tradition to put white gravy on the CFS, but brown gravy
on the mashed potatoes?

S.