Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skinning Garbanzo Beans?

Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
either canned or dried?

What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
skins were probably left on.

It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.

http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 2:18*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
> hummus. *But it's kinda a PITA. *Is there an easy way to skin them,
> either canned or dried?
>
> What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
> quite hard enough to smash them *Most of the skins came off, then
> pick the skins out of the beans. *It took about 8 minutes and a few
> skins were probably left on.
>
> It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
> any liquid except oil. *But it's really very smooth textured.
>
> http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

It'd be a better sandwich if you used something other than that white
bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:18:49 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>either canned or dried?
>
>What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>skins were probably left on.
>
>It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
>any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.
>
>http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth the
effort. Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins, rinse well,
wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The skins will separate.

It's not a great effort, but you're right, the hummus is more creamy.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:

> Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth the
> effort. Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins, rinse well,
> wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The skins will separate.
>
> It's not a great effort, but you're right, the hummus is more creamy.
>
> Alex

Do you have a recipe you like? I bought the tahini and canned chick peas
long ago and have yet to make it. I don't recall which recipe I thought
I had but its long gone...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
> hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
> either canned or dried?
>
> What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
> quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
> pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
> skins were probably left on.
>
> It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
> any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.
>
> http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

Goto your local Indian market and buy dried Channa Dal. It's split
garbanzos with the skins removed.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:13:54 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Chemiker wrote:
>
>> Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth the
>> effort. Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins, rinse well,
>> wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The skins will separate.
>>
>> It's not a great effort, but you're right, the hummus is more creamy.
>>
>> Alex

>Do you have a recipe you like? I bought the tahini and canned chick peas
>long ago and have yet to make it. I don't recall which recipe I thought
>I had but its long gone...

Sitting down to sup, but I'll find a recipe to post. Maybe Tess
Mallos', maybe not. In the meantime, turn your tahini paste upside
down to start loosening it up. It'll save work on your part.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:06:33 -0600, Chemiker wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:18:49 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>>hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>>either canned or dried?
>>
>>What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>>quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>>pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>>skins were probably left on.
>>
>>It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
>>any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.
>>
>>http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

> Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth the
> effort.

I used canned chicks. If I said "fresh" that was a mistake. I can
get fresh garbonzos.; For some reason they sell them at the Mexican
market <shrug>. They're 5x more expensive than nearly as cheap as
buying them canned or dry.

> Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins, rinse well,
> wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The skins will separate.

I can see how the towel would work better since there's more
friction. And might hold the skins while I pour out the peas
rather than having to pick them out.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:13:54 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> Do you have a recipe you like? I bought the tahini and canned chick peas
> long ago and have yet to make it. I don't recall which recipe I thought
> I had but its long gone...

Basic recipe:

Can of chickpeas, skinned.
1/2 C Tahini
1/4 - 1/2 EVOO
2 Cloves garlic
1 ts salt.
1 TB lemon juice (I don't use this)

Whiz it all together with a stick blender and add more olive ol or
water until desired consistency.

Store bought hummus is usually short on the tahini and olive oil to
cut costs. Some doesn't use *any* EVOO. And they use citric acid
instead of lemon juice.

But when you make it at home, you can do it right.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:15:00 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> Goto your local Indian market and buy dried Channa Dal. It's split
> garbanzos with the skins removed.

Technically, chana dal are not chick peas, but very similar.
They're harder than chick peas, even when cooked. And they don't
mush up as well.

I tried using kala chana (skin on) once and that was a huge
failure. These are very fibrous garbonzos with a skin that doesn't
separate.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:13:54 -0500, Goomba >

>> Do you have a recipe you like? I bought the tahini and canned chick peas
>> long ago and have yet to make it. I don't recall which recipe I thought
>> I had but its long gone...

> Sitting down to sup, but I'll find a recipe to post. Maybe Tess
> Mallos', maybe not. In the meantime, turn your tahini paste upside
> down to start loosening it up. It'll save work on your part.
>
> Alex

Hmmmm.. for some reason it already is upside down. But I don't recall
doing it....? Someone around here had ESPN (hehe) and knew ahead of time
I was going t need that. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:06:33 -0600:

>> Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>> hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin
>> them, either canned or dried?
>>
>> What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but
>> not quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came
>> off, then pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8
>> minutes and a few skins were probably left on.
>>
>> It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so
>> didn't use any liquid except oil. But it's really very
>> smooth textured.
>>
>> http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

> Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth
> the effort. Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins,
> rinse well, wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The
> skins will separate.

> It's not a great effort, but you're right, the hummus is more
> creamy.

But is that better? I like the texture of canned beans ground in a food
processor, Also, I invariably use hummus as a dip and crisped pita (NOT
a PITA!) as dippers.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:25:34 -0500, Goomba wrote:

> Chemiker wrote:
>
>> Sitting down to sup, but I'll find a recipe to post. Maybe Tess
>> Mallos', maybe not. In the meantime, turn your tahini paste upside
>> down to start loosening it up. It'll save work on your part.

> Hmmmm.. for some reason it already is upside down. But I don't recall
> doing it....? Someone around here had ESPN (hehe) and knew ahead of time
> I was going t need that. Thanks.

I flipped my 2lb tub every 2 hours when I first bought it, but it
turned out to be unnecessary. It's a pretty oily batch and is
mixable/spoonable right out of fridge. I think its "Leila's"
brand.

There it is, 5th picture down:
http://www.shaheenimports.com/services.htm

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 10, 10:27*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:25:34 -0500, Goomba wrote:
> > Chemiker wrote:

> >> Sitting down to sup, but I'll find a recipe to post. Maybe Tess
> >> Mallos', maybe not. In the meantime, turn your tahini paste upside
> >> down to start loosening it up. It'll save work on your part.

> > Hmmmm.. for some reason it already is upside down. But I don't recall
> > doing it....? Someone around here had ESPN (hehe) and knew ahead of time
> > I was going t need that. *Thanks.

> I flipped my 2lb tub every 2 hours when I first bought it, but it
> turned out to be unnecessary. *It's a pretty oily batch and is
> mixable/spoonable right out of fridge. *I think its "Leila's"
> brand.
>
> There it is, 5th picture down:http://www.shaheenimports.com/services.htm
>
> -sw

Try your favorite recipe and use lime juice instead of lemon. May not
be
authentic, but it sure is good. And using garbanza beans instead of
chick
peas is very smooth and only slightly different in flavor for a little
variety.
Nanzi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:08:46 -0800 (PST), Nan >
wrote:

> Try your favorite recipe and use lime juice instead of lemon. May not
> be authentic, but it sure is good. And using garbanza beans instead of
> chick peas is very smooth and only slightly different in flavor for a little
> variety.

I thought "chick pea" was just another name for "garbanzo bean". What
I didn't know before yesterday was that they come split, dried and
shelled if you know where to look. I'll keep an eye out for that form
and maybe one of these days, I'll try my hand at making hummus.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>either canned or dried?
>
>What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>skins were probably left on.
>
>It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
>any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.

Along the same line, has anyone ever tried using besan for making
hummus?
Probably have to cook it first, like making polenta?
I've thought of trying it but, never got around to doing it. Probably
because it's so simple and easy to make in the food processor using
canned chickpeas.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 5:18*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
> hummus. *But it's kinda a PITA. *Is there an easy way to skin them,
> either canned or dried?
>
> What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
> quite hard enough to smash them *Most of the skins came off, then
> pick the skins out of the beans. *It took about 8 minutes and a few
> skins were probably left on.

I don't think it's a big deal skinning them. Takes about 5-10 mins.
I've been experimenting with basic hummus for about four weeks now. I
like both the texture and taste of my latest effort. Now to move on
to different flavours! I also might try using lentils e.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/9/2010 11:43 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:06:33 -0600, Chemiker wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:18:49 -0600, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>>> hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>>> either canned or dried?
>>>
>>> What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>>> quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>>> pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>>> skins were probably left on.
>>>
>>> It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
>>> any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.
>>>
>>> http://yfrog.com/jksa301c1j

>> Hey, guy. I don't mess with fresh chickpeas.... it's not worth the
>> effort.

> I used canned chicks. If I said "fresh" that was a mistake. I can
> get fresh garbonzos.; For some reason they sell them at the Mexican
> market<shrug>. They're 5x more expensive than nearly as cheap as
> buying them canned or dry.
>
>> Rinse canned ones, instead. If they have skins, rinse well,
>> wrap in a towel and rub them up a little. The skins will separate.

> I can see how the towel would work better since there's more
> friction. And might hold the skins while I pour out the peas
> rather than having to pick them out.
>
> -sw

I think canned are harder to peel since they are softer than the
dried/soaked. I haven't tried making hummus with peeled chickpeas,
but I have been wanting to. I do peel the dried/soaked type for when
I make harira. I don't like the skins floating around in the soup.

I usually just peel them one at a time. I've never tried rubbing
them with a towel. I think they would break up too much, but that
wouldn't matter if you are making hummus.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Dec 2010 17:19:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 10:02:35a, sf told us...
>
> > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:08:46 -0800 (PST), Nan >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Try your favorite recipe and use lime juice instead of lemon. May
> >> not be authentic, but it sure is good. And using garbanza beans
> >> instead of chick peas is very smooth and only slightly different
> >> in flavor for a little variety.

> > I thought "chick pea" was just another name for "garbanzo bean".
> > What I didn't know before yesterday was that they come split,
> > dried and shelled if you know where to look. I'll keep an eye out
> > for that form and maybe one of these days, I'll try my hand at
> > making hummus.
> >

> I thought they were also known as cici beans.

Yes, but they don't use that term much in rfc or where I live. Is
cici a more common term on the East Coast?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2010 2:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2010 17:19:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 10 Dec 2010 10:02:35a, sf told us...

>>> I thought "chick pea" was just another name for "garbanzo bean".
>>> What I didn't know before yesterday was that they come split,
>>> dried and shelled if you know where to look. I'll keep an eye out
>>> for that form and maybe one of these days, I'll try my hand at
>>> making hummus.
>>>

>> I thought they were also known as cici beans.

> Yes, but they don't use that term much in rfc or where I live. Is
> cici a more common term on the East Coast?

I'm on the east coast and I call them chick peas. I have heard them
referred to as cici or cece beans too, which I think is the Italian
word for garbanzo.

In the stores where I shop, the cans are labeled either chick pea or
garbanzo mostly, with an occasional cece/cici.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:30:40 -0500, Tracy > wrote:

> In the stores where I shop, the cans are labeled either chick pea or
> garbanzo mostly, with an occasional cece/cici.

Thanks, Tracy... I think when I've see cece/cici, it's mostly a
non-American who uses the term. TGFG! I need to catch up any way I
can.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> I thought "chick pea" was just another name for "garbanzo bean".
>> What I didn't know before yesterday was that they come split,
>> dried and shelled if you know where to look. I'll keep an eye out
>> for that form and maybe one of these days, I'll try my hand at
>> making hummus.
>>

> I thought they were also known as cici beans.

they are
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Yes, but they don't use that term much in rfc or where I live. Is
> cici a more common term on the East Coast?

With Italians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:08:46 -0800 (PST), Nan wrote:

> Try your favorite recipe and use lime juice instead of lemon. May not
> be
> authentic, but it sure is good. And using garbanza beans instead of
> chick
> peas is very smooth and only slightly different in flavor for a little
> variety.

They are the same beans here in the United States. I don't know
about elsewhere.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:30:40 -0500, Tracy wrote:

> I'm on the east coast and I call them chick peas. I have heard them
> referred to as cici or cece beans too, which I think is the Italian
> word for garbanzo.

And here I thought Garbanzo was Italian.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>either canned or dried?
>
>What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>skins were probably left on.

Sounds like you're doing what I did, rub my palms together as though
my hands were cold, except that I have the chickpeas between the hands
and I don't press hard enough to smash them. It takes me a LOT longer
than 8 minutes. Guess I just don't have the touch. ;-)

I'll try it again next time I make hummus. The smoother texture is
definitely a plus in my book, I just don't want to spend half an hour
rubbing chickpeas between my hands.

(Every batch of store-bought hummus I've ever had appears to have the
smoother texture associated with removal of the hulls. I wonder.)

And FWIW, regarding the name, I have seen cans labeled as "Chick Peas
(Ceci Beans)" and on the same shelf, a different brand of the same
item labeled "Garbanzo Beans". Apparently they're all the same thing.
--
Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Skinning garbonzo beans really does make for a much smoother
>hummus. But it's kinda a PITA. Is there an easy way to skin them,
>either canned or dried?
>
>What I did was just kinda smoosh them around in my hand, but not
>quite hard enough to smash them Most of the skins came off, then
>pick the skins out of the beans. It took about 8 minutes and a few
>skins were probably left on.
>
>It looks lumpy since I wanted it stiff for sandwiches so didn't use
>any liquid except oil. But it's really very smooth textured.

Made three batches of hummus yesterday, one regular, one with Kalamata
olives and one using black beans instead of garbanzos.
With all this smooth talking lately, thought I'd try skinning the
garbanzo beans just to see the difference in the end product. After
the first 1/8 of a can or so I decided smooth is relative and said
screw it, made all three batches as usual. They taste great.

Lazy Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:42:12 -0600, Terry wrote:

> (Every batch of store-bought hummus I've ever had appears to have the
> smoother texture associated with removal of the hulls. I wonder.)

I think maybe they just have some really high-powered, whiz bang
blender that can turn babies into much in 5 seconds flat.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 13:15:48 -0500, Ross@home wrote:

> Made three batches of hummus yesterday, one regular, one with Kalamata
> olives and one using black beans instead of garbanzos.
> With all this smooth talking lately, thought I'd try skinning the
> garbanzo beans just to see the difference in the end product. After
> the first 1/8 of a can or so I decided smooth is relative and said
> screw it, made all three batches as usual. They taste great.

I started doing them one by one, but that lasted all of 3 beans. I
guess I should be happy with the 8 minute-method. Now to try and
apply it to rehydrated dried beans...

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:55:03 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:42:12 -0600, Terry wrote:
>
>> (Every batch of store-bought hummus I've ever had appears to have the
>> smoother texture associated with removal of the hulls. I wonder.)

>I think maybe they just have some really high-powered, whiz bang
>blender that can turn babies into much in 5 seconds flat.
>
>-sw

That reminds me. I've got Vita-Mix Super 3600 back in the pantry
somewhere. Does that qualify as high-powered, whiz bang blender?
It doesn't get used very often but, years ago when I saw in the local
Saint Vincent de Paul thrift store I couldn't turn it down. The price
they had on it was $20.00 and they were offering everything in the
store that day at 50% off. So, $10.00 for a Vita-Mix, complete and in
mint condition was my best deal of the day.
I'll give it a try on my next batch of hummus.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:55:03 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> I think maybe they just have some really high-powered, whiz bang
> blender that can turn babies into much in 5 seconds flat.

<cymbal crash>

That was "babies into MUSH".

Queue: Blender Baby jokes.

-sw