Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggnog, again

Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
room temp, incredible when warm.
About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:43:32 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> ViLco > wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
>> had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
>> room temp, incredible when warm.
>> About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.

>Myers Dark Rum...

No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
> had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
> room temp, incredible when warm.
> About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.

I have some. It doesn't remind me much of eggnog. It's ten times stronger
for a start! I like it chilled instead of hot. Or, in palmier days, over
ice crezm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:43:32 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> ViLco > wrote:
>>
>>> Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
>>> had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
>>> room temp, incredible when warm.
>>> About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.

>>Myers Dark Rum...

> No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.

Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's spiced
rum

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:43:32 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:

-snip-

>>>Myers Dark Rum...

>> No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.

>Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's spiced
>rum

Well, I went for Myers Dark in the two I made yesterday-- and Tesseron
No. 53 for the Cognac-- and Evan Williams for the bourbon. [real
cheap-- but to me it is smoother than Maker's Mark or the Blanton's I
used to drink]

One batch had 2 cups bourbon, 1/2 cup rum & 1/4 cup cognac-- The
other had 2 cups rum & 1 cup bourbon. Untempered I like the
rummy one better-- but they need 3 weeks to be done.

I'm a firm believer in cooking with good ingredients-- especially the
liquors. If they are going to add flavor to the food- I want it to
be a good flavor.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:43:32 -0600, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Myers Dark Rum...

>> No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.

> Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's
> spiced rum
>
> Jill

Southern Comfort.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:27:24 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> >"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:43:32 -0600, Omelet >
> >> wrote:

> -snip-

> >> No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.

> >Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's spiced
> >rum

> Well, I went for Myers Dark in the two I made yesterday-- and Tesseron
> No. 53 for the Cognac-- and Evan Williams for the bourbon. [real
> cheap-- but to me it is smoother than Maker's Mark or the Blanton's I
> used to drink]
>
> One batch had 2 cups bourbon, 1/2 cup rum & 1/4 cup cognac-- The
> other had 2 cups rum & 1 cup bourbon. Untempered I like the
> rummy one better-- but they need 3 weeks to be done.
>
> I'm a firm believer in cooking with good ingredients-- especially the
> liquors. If they are going to add flavor to the food- I want it to
> be a good flavor.

I don't consider making an alcoholic drink "cooking" even if it does
use eggs and sugar, but I certainly do agree with you about the rum.
I also prefer rum balls over bourbon balls, but I like bourbon in my
hot toddy.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:04:37 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

> >> No, no, no... not for eggnog... for eggnog use the cheapest rum.

> > Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's
> > spiced rum
> >
> > Jill

> Southern Comfort.

I like that idea! I usually drink my Southern Comfort mixed with
cranberry juice (it's a Scarlet O'Hara).

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 9, 12:22*pm, ViLco > wrote:
> Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
> had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
> room temp, incredible when warm.
> About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.

It's omnipresent in bars and liquor stores in San Francisco's North
Beach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Every time I see Southern Comfort it reminds me of one of the first
> jobs I had. Our receptionist/switchboard operator had worked there
> for decades, and throughout the day sipped Southern Comfort and
> crushed ice from a quart sized Thermos bottle.

Ow! Sounds like a good indicator you needed to find another job quick
before you ended up the same way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:33:57 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 12:22*pm, ViLco > wrote:
> > Am I the only one who sees Pezziol "Vov" on the shelves? If anybody have
> > had it, tell me what you think abot that kind of eggnog. It's amazing at
> > room temp, incredible when warm.
> > About 7-8 euros for a .75 quart bottle.

> It's omnipresent in bars and liquor stores in San Francisco's North
> Beach.

Since you've already done the sleuthing, I should do some shopping!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Nonsense! If you're going to add rum to eggnog use Captain Morgan's
>> spiced rum

> Southern Comfort.

At the grocery store the other day there were bottles of Southern
Comfort in the refrigerated section next to the egg nog. Not something
that could happen in states that have ABC stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:05:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:26:21 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>but I like bourbon in my
>>hot toddy.

>How do you make a hot toddy? I still have some bourbon.

I'm interested to hear how SF does hers-- but I put an ounce or two of
bourbon in a tall cup- squeeze 1/4 of a lemon into it- dump in some
honey [a tbl or 2]- fill the cup with hot water. [180degrees or so]
and stir with a cinnamon stick.

Jim
[When I'm feeling 'rummy', I'll make a Hot Buttered Rum with some
Myers dark rum, a dollop of butter and hot water. If I feel spicey
I'll stir that with a cinnamon stick, too]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>How do you make a hot toddy?

Unleash D cups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote:

> [When I'm feeling 'rummy', I'll make a Hot Buttered Rum with some
> Myers dark rum, a dollop of butter and hot water.

There's a distillery in Oregon which makes hazelnut-infused rum. You might
like that for hot buttered rum, though it was a bit too alcoholic for me.
http://www.rogue.com/spirits/rogue-hazelnut-rum.php (Gotta laugh at the
"Free Range Coastal Water".)

> If I feel spicey I'll stir that with a cinnamon stick, too]

I like something called a Barn Burner: Hot apple cider, Southern Comfort,
lemon twist, and a cinnamon stick.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:55:44 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:05:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:26:21 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >
> >>but I like bourbon in my
> >>hot toddy.

> >How do you make a hot toddy? I still have some bourbon.

> I'm interested to hear how SF does hers-- but I put an ounce or two of
> bourbon in a tall cup- squeeze 1/4 of a lemon into it- dump in some
> honey [a tbl or 2]- fill the cup with hot water. [180degrees or so]
> and stir with a cinnamon stick.
>
> Jim

I don't have a from scratch "recipe". I use "lots of bourbon", a
couple of teaspoon or two of commercial Tom & Jerry batter, half a
teaspoon of instant coffee and fill the remaining space in a large mug
up to the top with hot water. Too sweet for some, but just right for
me.

> [When I'm feeling 'rummy', I'll make a Hot Buttered Rum with some
> Myers dark rum, a dollop of butter and hot water. If I feel spicey
> I'll stir that with a cinnamon stick, too]

That's good too and easier to make from scratch.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Eggnog camrodri General 2 02-05-2009 05:14 AM
Eggnog International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2006 03:44 AM
Eggnog International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 22-12-2005 05:33 AM
Eggnog Dennis Carr General 3 21-01-2004 12:58 PM