Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sweet potato recipe

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:47:25 -0800, blacksalt > wrote:

> I'm crazy about sweet potatoes. I like them (and yams) as a sub in
> pumpkin-black bean chili. I sometimes add a little bit of left over
> cubed and put in at the last minute when frying home fries.
>
> And here is a favorite, in a cut and paste from the Sacramento cook-in,
> oh so many years ago (9, I think):
>
> This is From the Earth by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo. She claims it a Cantonese
> dish. Not only does it use the yams raw, it was very refreshing.
>
> 1 1/4 lb sweet taters or yams
> Peel, wash and dry. Cut in half lengthwise and put the flat side down
> and then cut downward to make thin strips (3/16th was my goal), and cut
> these into 2 inch lengths. I put this in something tupperwarish, poured
> over 3 T brown rice vinegar (rec says white vinegar), 1 teas dark
> sesame oil, 1 1/2 T sugar and a teas. of salt. Marinate overnight,
> shaking once or twice and toss with fresh coriander (she says 1 teas
> chopped, I used 2 T and left them leaves just pulled off the stems), and
> serve cool.

Thanks! There was some discussion around Thanksgiving about the want
for savory yam/sweet potato recipes.

I'm not familiar with brown rice vinegar. I've only noticed the clear
stuff. Where would I find it?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:47:25 -0800, blacksalt > wrote:

> I'm not familiar with brown rice vinegar. I've only noticed the clear
> stuff. Where would I find it?

I get mine at the local Japanese megastore. For a couple bucks more you
can get something really nice and mellow....I think of it as the Asian
version of middle of the road balsamic. Plain old rice vinegar is to
brown rice vinegar as white vin is to apple cider vin. Sort of.

Don't forget sweet potato pie.

blacksalt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:05:05 -0800, blacksalt > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:47:25 -0800, blacksalt > wrote:

> > I'm not familiar with brown rice vinegar. I've only noticed the clear
> > stuff. Where would I find it?
> >

> I get mine at the local Japanese megastore. For a couple bucks more you
> can get something really nice and mellow....I think of it as the Asian
> version of middle of the road balsamic. Plain old rice vinegar is to
> brown rice vinegar as white vin is to apple cider vin. Sort of.

Okay, we have something similar in Japan town... I'll try to remember
to look there the next time I'm in that area.

> Don't forget sweet potato pie.

The complaints seemed to center around a dearth of savory sweet potato
recipes. However a great tip came up about substituting some sweet
potato to make up for the currently shorted ounces in cans of pumpkin
that we use for our holiday pumpkin pie.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.