FoodBanter.com

-   -   Columbus Crespone Salami (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/403037-columbus-crespone-salami.html)

Sqwertz[_25_] 07-12-2010 04:30 AM

Columbus Crespone Salami

Has anybody ever bought a Columbus Crespone? These are a very dry
cured salame in natural casings.

http://www.columbussalame.com/produc...alumi/crespone

What's the secret to 'peeling' these things? Flavor is great once
you get it peeled and after you heat it up just a tad, but peeling
it is a PITA, especially that crease running down the center of
both sides.

My Kuhn-Rikon *serrated* veggie peeler and a stuff fore-arm did a
nice job on the outside, but the crease has to be gouged out with
dental tools (or a paring knife).

-sw

isw 08-12-2010 05:10 AM

Columbus Crespone Salami

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Has anybody ever bought a Columbus Crespone? These are a very dry
> cured salame in natural casings.
>
> http://www.columbussalame.com/produc...alumi/crespone
>
> What's the secret to 'peeling' these things?

Just hold it under running *hot* water for a few seconds. That makes the
"peel" a lot more flexible, but doesn't hurt the salami at all. Sort of
like peeling a tomato...

Isaac

sf[_9_] 08-12-2010 05:52 AM

Columbus Crespone Salami

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:10:52 -0800, isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > Has anybody ever bought a Columbus Crespone? These are a very dry
> > cured salame in natural casings.
> >
> > http://www.columbussalame.com/produc...alumi/crespone
> >
> > What's the secret to 'peeling' these things?

> Just hold it under running *hot* water for a few seconds. That makes the
> "peel" a lot more flexible, but doesn't hurt the salami at all. Sort of
> like peeling a tomato...

With regular dried salami, you'd cut it first and then peel off the
casing from the slices. It's easy enough and no hot water is
involved. I doubt that stuff is any different.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Sqwertz[_25_] 08-12-2010 06:27 AM

Columbus Crespone Salami

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 21:10:52 -0800, isw wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Has anybody ever bought a Columbus Crespone? These are a very dry
>> cured salame in natural casings.
>>
>> http://www.columbussalame.com/produc...alumi/crespone
>>
>> What's the secret to 'peeling' these things?

> Just hold it under running *hot* water for a few seconds. That makes the
> "peel" a lot more flexible, but doesn't hurt the salami at all. Sort of
> like peeling a tomato...

And that might help loosen up some of the very coarse grind fat
under there. it is *really* stuck on there. This is the second
one I've bought and both were like this.

I don't think it's so as much of a flexibility issue as it is an
"adhesive" issue.

-sw