Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mass produced vs. Organic Free Range Eggs

I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
any added fats.

Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 3, 2:45*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs. *
> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. *No salt or
> any added fats.
>
> Result: *The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells. *
> Otherwise they tasted identical. *I'll stick do the mass produced,
> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>
> -sw

Even the organic 'free range' eggs are mass produced.

If you want really good tasting eggs, you need your own backyard
chickens. IMHO

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 2:45*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs. *
> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. *No salt or
> any added fats.
>
> Result: *The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells. *
> Otherwise they tasted identical. *I'll stick do the mass produced,
> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>
> -sw

The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
eggs is still a good deal in my book.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:01:02 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2:45*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> Result: *The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells. *
>> Otherwise they tasted identical. *I'll stick do the mass produced,
>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.

> Even the organic 'free range' eggs are mass produced.
>
> If you want really good tasting eggs, you need your own backyard
> chickens. IMHO

I don't think there's any more room left back there with all the
cows, pigs, and donkeys.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
> any added fats.
>
> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>
> -sw

It depends what you're using the eggs for, the organic cage free eggs,
at least the Eggland's Best ones have notably larger, yellower and
creamier yolks, something that is important for custard stuff like creme
brulee, ice cream base, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:01:02 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
>>> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
>>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.

>> Even the organic 'free range' eggs are mass produced.
>>
>> If you want really good tasting eggs, you need your own backyard
>> chickens. IMHO

> I don't think there's any more room left back there with all the
> cows, pigs, and donkeys.
>
> -sw

My free ranging chickens in my back yard are much better than store
bought. Not only do they have a thicker shell, the yolks have a rich
orange color, not yellow. My eggs have a richer taste, the yolks stand
up and do not beak easy when frying. The big difference between mine and
the so called free ranging chickens in stores is my chickens main diet
is not all grain, its bugs... They also have my leftovers, chickens love
lettuce, corn on the cob, tomatoes...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote

> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
> eggs is still a good deal in my book.

That makes some sense for eating them for breakfast, but my wife bought 15
dozen yesterday for holiday baking. That is a $30 difference where that
taste won't matter so we'll let a little antibiotic slip by.

For eating, we have a couple of local home raised sellers that sell them.
Fresh and tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote
>>
>> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
>> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
>> eggs is still a good deal in my book.

Hormones are not allowed to be given to chickens. At least here in
the U.S. I don't know how they do it in your homeland.

And traces of antibiotics in eggs are actually pretty rare an are
not contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans in the
quantities that they do appear.

Got any other mis-information for us?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message

On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
> any added fats.
>
> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>
> -sw

The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
eggs is still a good deal in my book.

Here in Australia, it is illegal to use hormones or antibiotics in chicken
or egg production!

-- Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> "Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
>
> On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
>> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
>> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
>> any added fats.
>>
>> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
>> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>>
>> -sw

> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
> eggs is still a good deal in my book.
>

> Here in Australia, it is illegal to use hormones or antibiotics in chicken
> or egg production!
>
> -- Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

I don't see the difference in taste or quality. I'm not willing to pay
$3.50 for a dozen eggs. (I also can't have chickens running around in my
back yard.) I don't eat eggs often enough to worry about whatever it is you
think they contain. I'm watching my wallet, not what someone might be doing
to eggs. I've been eating regular store bought eggs for 40-something years
without a problem. Don't need to spend extra on "organic". IMHO, the whole
"organic" thing is a marketing ploy to get people to line someone's pocket.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> " Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>> "Chemo the Clown" wrote in message >
>>
>> On Dec 3, 2:45 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>> I bought a dozen organic, free range brown eggs and did two
>>> comparisons against my regular market, mass-produced white eggs.
>>> One set of eggs was over medium, the other scrambled. No salt or
>>> any added fats.
>>>
>>> Result: The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells.
>>> Otherwise they tasted identical. I'll stick do the mass produced,
>>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't.
> > things
>> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a
> > dozen
>> eggs is still a good deal in my book.
>>

>> Here in Australia, it is illegal to use hormones or antibiotics in
> > chicken > or egg production!
>>
>> -- Bigbazza (Barry) Oz
>>

> I don't see the difference in taste or quality. I'm not willing to
> pay $3.50 for a dozen eggs. (I also can't have chickens running
> around in my back yard.) I don't eat eggs often enough to worry about
> whatever it is you think they contain. I'm watching my wallet, not
> what someone might be doing to eggs. I've been eating regular store
> bought eggs for 40-something years without a problem. Don't need to
> spend extra on "organic". IMHO, the whole "organic" thing is a
> marketing ploy to get people to line someone's pocket.
>
> Jill

Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard. You just
can't have roosters, they are noisy and mean. Roosters can scratch the
crap out of you. Hens do not stray far from the roost, are peaceful and
quiet all they way to the kitchen table as well as their eggs. Just
modify a garden shed, four hens would do nicely for a small family.
Chickens need less care than a cat. If you have a dog, train the dog not
to bother them, it won't take long. I have seen hawks try and always
fail to get a chicken. They will trust the hand that feeds them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> I bought some egglands best because they were supposed to be higher in
> Omega 3's. Fish oil and I don't get along well.
>
> The yolks tasted like fish to me. ;-p
> But, I may just be sensitive to that flavor.

I wonder what they feed the hens. They may be getting fish oil, thus the
higher levels in the eggs.

I take a fish oil jel capsule every day with breakfast and never had any
taste from it, but I'm sure it would be nasty if it repeated on me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:

> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

What a Jill statement.

Do you have a list of those cities?

Just because *your* city allows chickens, don't assume that all
cities allow chickens. Many large cities and small communities do
not allow either.

Regardless, how many of us would raise chickens if they were legal?
Excluding Om. I certainly don't want to be known as the chicken
guy. And certainly not the ostrich guy either.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:07:41 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:01:02 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> On Dec 3, 2:45*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Result: *The organic free range brown eggs had harder shells. *
>>> Otherwise they tasted identical. *I'll stick do the mass produced,
>>> white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.

>> Even the organic 'free range' eggs are mass produced.
>>
>> If you want really good tasting eggs, you need your own backyard
>> chickens. IMHO

> I don't think there's any more room left back there with all the
> cows, pigs, and donkeys.
>
> -sw

no goats?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan L > wrote:
-snip-

>Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

Most? Not in this neck of the woods. I have seen articles on all
3 nearby cities fighting 'farm animals in residential' areas. This
week there was one for the 'burb where I live.

One of the cities has a large Guyananese population which gave rise to
a live poultry store in the city. You walk in, pick your chicken,
and it is dispatched for you. But no live chickens are allowed at
residences unless you get a farm permit. [which you can't get within
the city]

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>
>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> What a Jill statement.
>
> Do you have a list of those cities?
>
> Just because *your* city allows chickens, don't assume that all
> cities allow chickens. Many large cities and small communities do
> not allow either.
>
> Regardless, how many of us would raise chickens if they were legal?
> Excluding Om. I certainly don't want to be known as the chicken
> guy. And certainly not the ostrich guy either.
>
> -sw

I live in the boon docks, the country, I have a small hobby farm: Cow,
chickens, beehives and a dog on twenty acres. I use to live in the city.

However, in Michigan, the detroit metro area cities, lots sizes small as
100x50 feet, allows hens. Ferndale and Madison Heights are examples of
near by communities that allow hens. I know people that have chickens as
well as bee hives in these cities. For names, call up a beekeeper that
maybe in phone book and you will find out for yourself.

A chicken guy could sell his extra eggs to a neighbor for $3.50 dozen.
Raw honey for $10 per pound. Now raw milk... Is another story.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 4, 9:43*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Dan L > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>

> >Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
> >communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> Most? * *Not in this neck of the woods. * *I have seen articles on all
> 3 nearby cities fighting 'farm animals in residential' areas. *This
> week there was one for the 'burb where I live.
>
> One of the cities has a large Guyananese population which gave rise to
> a live poultry store in the city. * *You walk in, pick your chicken,
> and it is dispatched for you. * *But no live chickens are allowed at
> residences unless you get a farm permit. [which you can't get within
> the city]
>
> Jim

Backyard Chickens is a growing thing. I participate on a forum that
tells you everything you ever wanted to know about Backyard
Chickens. There are lively discussion threads and how to's and even
an area that tells you which city has regulations and what they
are....and how to change them. The cooking and recipe area is a
hoot.
The community forum is where the action is at. There are literally
thousands of members.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/

I live in a condo. I am missing my yard and my chickens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Dan L > wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> Most? Not in this neck of the woods. I have seen articles on all
> 3 nearby cities fighting 'farm animals in residential' areas. This
> week there was one for the 'burb where I live.
>
> One of the cities has a large Guyananese population which gave rise to
> a live poultry store in the city. You walk in, pick your chicken,
> and it is dispatched for you. But no live chickens are allowed at
> residences unless you get a farm permit. [which you can't get within
> the city]
>
> Jim

Their fighting a loosing battle. As the economy worsens the cities will
eventually allow it. Cats and dogs make more noise and get loose from
homes than hens.
Then theirs the toy pot belly pigs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 09:58:23 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 9:43*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> > Dan L > wrote:
> >
> > >Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
> > >communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> > Most? * *Not in this neck of the woods. * *I have seen articles on all
> > 3 nearby cities fighting 'farm animals in residential' areas. *This
> > week there was one for the 'burb where I live.
> >
> > One of the cities has a large Guyananese population which gave rise to
> > a live poultry store in the city. * *You walk in, pick your chicken,
> > and it is dispatched for you. * *But no live chickens are allowed at
> > residences unless you get a farm permit. [which you can't get within
> > the city]
> >
> > Jim

> Backyard Chickens is a growing thing. I participate on a forum that
> tells you everything you ever wanted to know about Backyard
> Chickens. There are lively discussion threads and how to's and even
> an area that tells you which city has regulations and what they
> are....and how to change them. The cooking and recipe area is a
> hoot.
> The community forum is where the action is at. There are literally
> thousands of members.
>
> http://www.backyardchickens.com/
>
> I live in a condo. I am missing my yard and my chickens.

Apparently, you can have 4 without a permit in my city. I haven't
pursued it lately, but 20+ years ago when I wanted to raise a couple
of chickens for eggs, it was the set backs that killed the deal.
Their coop needed to be 20 feet from the property lines. I forget how
far from the house it had to be or if that was even part of the
restriction. I just remember that's the way they effectively
"discouraged" the practice.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:01:02 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> If you want really good tasting eggs, you need your own backyard
> chickens. IMHO

Frankly, backyard chicken eggs are over rated. I think chickens are
great garbage disposals - but I don't like their eggs. I don't like
how bright/dark orange their yolks are and I don't like the flavor.
Give me an anemic store bought egg and I'm happy.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan L" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> " Bigbazza" > wrote in message

>>> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't.
>> > things
>>> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a
>> > dozen
>>> eggs is still a good deal in my book.
>>>

>>> Here in Australia, it is illegal to use hormones or antibiotics in
>> > chicken > or egg production!
>>>
>>> -- Bigbazza (Barry) Oz
>>>

>> I don't see the difference in taste or quality. I'm not willing to
>> pay $3.50 for a dozen eggs. (I also can't have chickens running
>> around in my back yard.) I don't eat eggs often enough to worry about
>> whatever it is you think they contain. I'm watching my wallet, not
>> what someone might be doing to eggs. I've been eating regular store
>> bought eggs for 40-something years without a problem. Don't need to
>> spend extra on "organic". IMHO, the whole "organic" thing is a
>> marketing ploy to get people to line someone's pocket.
>>
>> Jill

> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens.

ROFLMAO!! My back yard is a the green of a golf course. No, I cannot raise
chickens.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>
>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> What a Jill statement.

I'm not the one who said that!!

> Do you have a list of those cities?
>
> Just because *your* city allows chickens, don't assume that all
> cities allow chickens. Many large cities and small communities do
> not allow either.
>
> Regardless, how many of us would raise chickens if they were legal?
> Excluding Om. I certainly don't want to be known as the chicken
> guy. And certainly not the ostrich guy either.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > wrote:
> Dan L > wrote:
>
>> Their fighting a loosing battle. As the economy worsens the cities

> will
>> eventually allow it. Cats and dogs make more noise and get loose from
>> homes than hens.

> There was a woman near the park that raised chickens. We had an
> unusual
> problem. At the HawkWatch hawk migration counts, we'd count them as
> they
> flew over but then some hawks would go over to her farm to get a
> chicken
> or two. The woman shot and killed hundreds of hawks. In minutes, the
> numbers we recorded were fairly useless for other HawkWatches down the
>
> line not seeing the counts we reported daily on the web, as they'd be
> expecting.
>
> Somehow she was found out and was arrested and did a brief jail stay
> and
> paid a huge fine.
>
> We never heard if she was still in the chicken biz or made a screen
> roofed "free range."
>
> Andy

That's funny, hawks have tried and failed, here. Hawks talons could not
get past the thick feathers. Different areas may have a different breed
of hawks.

I have to go, i have purist San Francisco Sourdough Bread in the oven.
First time making it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>>
>>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

>> What a Jill statement.
>>

> I'm not the one who said that!!

Seriously, surely, I said that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Dan L" > wrote in message

>>> I don't see the difference in taste or quality. I'm not willing to
>>> pay $3.50 for a dozen eggs. (I also can't have chickens running
>>> around in my back yard.) I don't eat eggs often enough to worry
> > > about
>>> whatever it is you think they contain. I'm watching my wallet, not
>>> what someone might be doing to eggs. I've been eating regular store
>>> bought eggs for 40-something years without a problem. Don't need to
>>> spend extra on "organic". IMHO, the whole "organic" thing is a
>>> marketing ploy to get people to line someone's pocket.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens.

> ROFLMAO!! My back yard is a the green of a golf course. No, I cannot
> raise chickens.
>
> Jill

I can see you point. Those hard boiled golf balls would be hard to
swallow

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 3, 10:31*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > "Chemo the Clown" > wrote

> >> The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
> >> like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
> >> eggs is still a good deal in my book.

> Hormones are not allowed to be given to chickens. *At least here in
> the U.S. * *I don't know how they do it in your homeland.
>
> And traces of antibiotics in eggs are actually pretty rare an are
> not contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans in the
> quantities that they do appear. *
>
> Got any other mis-information for us?
>
> -sw

Really? I guess I can't believe everything I read on Wikileaks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:32*am, Omelet > wrote:
> [...]

> > > white eggs that only cost $1.36/dz rather than $3.49.

> > > -sw

> > The mass produced eggs contain thing that the free range don't. things
> > like hormones and antibiotics. I eat the free range. $3.50 for a dozen
> > eggs is still a good deal in my book.

> This is a myth. *It is against FDA and USDA regulations on egg
> production to sell eggs for consumption without a withdrawal period if a
> hen is given antibiotics. They are NEVER fed Hormones. Neither are
> "non-organic" chickens.
>
> Also, from this website: <http://www.animalag.org/myths.aspx>
>
> "MYTH: Egg producers put hormones in the hen feed.
> FACT: Growth hormones are never fed to pullets being grown for
> egg-laying or during the egg-laying period. The hens have a
> high-quality, nutritionally balanced diet. The feed is meticulously
> formulated with the proper nutrients to produce quality eggs and is
> perfectly balanced with ingredients made up mostly of corn, soybean
> meal, vitamins and minerals."
>
> Here is another site:
> <http://www.biteclubeats.com/2010/10/how-virtuous-are-your-eggs.html>
>
> "- Hormone-free: This is a red herring. No hormones are approved by the
> FDA for poultry production."
>
> And from <http://usda.gov> :
>
> "Under the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA), the Poultry Products
> Inspection Act (PPIA), and the Egg Products Inspection Act (EPIA), FSIS
> acts to ensure that USDA-inspected meat, poultry and egg products do not
> contain illegal levels of chemical residues. The cornerstone of FSIS
> residue prevention activities is the FSIS National Residue Program
> (NRP), a multi-component analytical testing program for residues in
> domestic and imported meat, poultry, and egg products. The FSIS NRP,
> which has been in effect since 1967, provides a variety of sampling
> plans to prevent violative residues from entering the food supply, and
> develops national data on the occurrence of chemical residues to support
> risk assessment, enforcement and educational activities. The range of
> chemical compounds evaluated for inclusion in the various NRP testing
> programs is comprehensive in scope. It includes approved and unapproved
> pharmaceutical drugs and pesticides known or suspected to be present in
> food animals in the U.S. and in countries exporting products to the U.S.
> It also includes any other xenobiotic or naturally occurring compounds
> that may appear in meat, poultry, and egg products and that may pose a
> potential human health hazard. "
>
> The price of "Organic eggs" is a rip-off.
>
> I'd suggest you hang out on sci.agriculture.poultry for awhile and get a
> real education. ;-) *I used to lurk there back when I had my yard hens.
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
> * * * no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

The report states:
"Under the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA), the Poultry Products
Inspection Act (PPIA), and the Egg Products Inspection Act (EPIA),
FSIS
acts to ensure that USDA-inspected meat, poultry and egg products do
not
contain illegal levels of chemical residues."

The key words are "illegal levels of chemical residue". So some
levels are allowed, no?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy > wrote:
> Dan L > wrote:
>
>> Andy > wrote:

>>> will

> from
>>>

>>> There was a woman near the park that raised chickens. We had an
>>> unusual
>>> problem. At the HawkWatch hawk migration counts, we'd count them as
>>> they
>>> flew over but then some hawks would go over to her farm to get a
>>> chicken
>>> or two. The woman shot and killed hundreds of hawks. In minutes, the
> > >
>>> numbers we recorded were fairly useless for other HawkWatches down

> the
>>>
>>> line not seeing the counts we reported daily on the web, as they'd
> > > be
>>> expecting.
>>>
>>> Somehow she was found out and was arrested and did a brief jail stay
>>> and
>>> paid a huge fine.
>>>
>>> We never heard if she was still in the chicken biz or made a screen
>>> roofed "free range."
>>>
>>> Andy

>> That's funny, hawks have tried and failed, here. Hawks talons could

> not
>> get past the thick feathers. Different areas may have a different

> breed
>> of hawks.
>>
>> I have to go, i have purist San Francisco Sourdough Bread in the
> > oven.
>> First time making it.

> WE didn't find it funny!!!
>
> We counted 18 raptors migrating north and south for over a decade.
>
> Then Jane Doe interfered. There's enough attrition without her help.
> We
> were angry for her doing what she did.
>
> http://www.hawkcount.org/index.php Great resource!!! Very interactive
> info.
>
> Andy

It's the anarchist in me that finds it funny. No matter what plan is
implemented, someone will wreck it. Bread turned out great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>
> > Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
> > communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

> What a Jill statement.
>
> Do you have a list of those cities?
>
> Just because *your* city allows chickens, don't assume that all
> cities allow chickens. Many large cities and small communities do
> not allow either.

Do you have a list? And don't tell me Austin, Texas because I already
looked it up. They're legal in my town. A friend moved out of
Berkeley, CA a million years ago because the police came by and said he
couldn't have chickens. But they are legal now.

> Regardless, how many of us would raise chickens if they were legal?

Not me, that's for sure.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> >
> > Really? I guess I can't believe everything I read on Wikileaks!

> Wiki is one of the best sources of misinformation on the internet.
> Anybody can write a wiki article and provide no reliable cites...

Wikileaks is not Wikipedia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-12-04, Omelet > wrote:

> Wiki is one of the best sources of misinformation on the internet.
> Anybody can write a wiki article and provide no reliable cites...
>
> It's a public forum.

There are mechanisms in place that allow people other than the
original poster (OP) to dispute and correct misinformation on wiki,
unlike some other closed sources of information. Open information is
like open source software. It's free, as in freedom of speech, and
therefore can not be limited to one source.

Like this forum, rec.food.cooking, you are free to pick and choose
from the information tossed out there. While there is no doubt much
misinformation, there is also choice. IMO, better than only one
so called authority and/or source.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Apparently, you can have 4 without a permit in my city. I haven't
> pursued it lately, but 20+ years ago when I wanted to raise a couple
> of chickens for eggs, it was the set backs that killed the deal.
> Their coop needed to be 20 feet from the property lines. I forget how
> far from the house it had to be or if that was even part of the
> restriction. I just remember that's the way they effectively
> "discouraged" the practice.

One of the jobs I had in SF many years back involved looking at people's
houses. Every house I looked at had a lot that was 25 feet wide. Yeah,
I guess it would be hard to have the coop 20 feet from property lines!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-12-04, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Wiki is one of the best sources of misinformation on the internet.
> > Anybody can write a wiki article and provide no reliable cites...
> >
> > It's a public forum.

> There are mechanisms in place that allow people other than the
> original poster (OP) to dispute and correct misinformation on wiki,
> unlike some other closed sources of information. Open information is
> like open source software. It's free, as in freedom of speech, and
> therefore can not be limited to one source.

My best suggestion for people (this is not aimed at nb) is not to call
it "wiki" unless you are referring to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:52:53 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>>
>>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

>> What a Jill statement.
>>

> I'm not the one who said that!!

Can I quote you on that?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:05:25 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:59:22 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>>
>>> Since you state you have a back yard, you can have chickens. Most
>>> communities and cities now allow chickens in the back yard.

>> What a Jill statement.
>>
>> Do you have a list of those cities?
>>
>> Just because *your* city allows chickens, don't assume that all
>> cities allow chickens. Many large cities and small communities do
>> not allow either.

> Do you have a list?

Nope.

> And don't tell me Austin, Texas because I already
> looked it up.

OK, I'm telling you Austin Texas.

While it may not be illegal criminally, is not allowed as a clause
in most Homeowner Association-controlled neighborhoods. About 60%
of the population of Austin.

And that's just not Austin.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:57:37 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Chemo the Clown > wrote:

>>> Hormones are not allowed to be given to chickens. *At least here in
>>> the U.S. * *I don't know how they do it in your homeland.
>>>
>>> And traces of antibiotics in eggs are actually pretty rare an are
>>> not contributing to antibiotic resistance in humans in the
>>> quantities that they do appear. *
>>>
>>> Got any other mis-information for us?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Really? I guess I can't believe everything I read on Wikileaks!

> Wiki is one of the best sources of misinformation on the internet.
> Anybody can write a wiki article and provide no reliable cites...
>
> It's a public forum.

you have to apply some intelligence to what you read there.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:00:27 -0600, Andy wrote:

> Dan L > wrote:
>
>> It's the anarchist in me that finds it funny. No matter what plan is
>> implemented, someone will wreck it. Bread turned out great.

> <PLONK>
>
> Andy

aww...did dan say something mean about chickenhawks?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:17:21 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:

> Their fighting a loosing battle. As the economy worsens the cities will
> eventually allow it.

That will be right before people can build log cabins on their
property without building permits or inspections.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 17:00:27 -0600, Andy wrote:
>
>> Dan L > wrote:
>>
>>> It's the anarchist in me that finds it funny. No matter what plan is
>>> implemented, someone will wreck it. Bread turned out great.

>> <PLONK>
>>
>> Andy

> aww...did dan say something mean about chickenhawks?
>
> blake

Andy has the right to use the kill file. Does not bother me one bit!
Since when did an anarchist went out of their way to make friends