FoodBanter.com

-   -   Made truffles today (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/402827-made-truffles-today.html)

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 12:36 AM

Made truffles today

http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg

Recipe:

1lb dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup cream
2 tbs butter

Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :-)

Merry Christmas!

John Kuthe..

sf[_9_] 01-12-2010 04:57 AM

Made truffles today

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Recipe:
>
> 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> 1/2 cup cream
> 2 tbs butter
>
> Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. You're lighting a fire
under me! Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
making something.

Thanks, John. :)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 05:44 AM

Made truffles today

On Nov 30, 9:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > Recipe:

> > 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> > 1/2 cup cream
> > 2 tbs butter

> > Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> > stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> > cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> > allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> > pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

> Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. *You're lighting a fire
> under me! *Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
> making something.
>
> Thanks, John. *:)
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...efefa8c5bba7f#

John Kuthe...

Sqwertz[_25_] 01-12-2010 05:52 AM

Made truffles today

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg
>
> Recipe:
>
> 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> 1/2 cup cream
> 2 tbs butter
>
> Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.
>
> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :-)
>
> Merry Christmas!

You'll keep a pot of dipping chocolate on your back porch like that
yet you find a marble slab helpful in this situation?

Is that a baked enamel urinal screen under that marble slab? I do
believe it is!

-sw

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 06:04 AM

Made truffles today

On Nov 30, 10:52*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> You'll keep a pot of dipping chocolate on your back porch like that
> yet you find a marble slab helpful in this situation?
>
> Is that a baked enamel urinal screen under that marble slab? *I do
> believe it is!
>
> -sw

No Christmas Candy for you, Squertz! You've been a very bad boy!

John Kuthe...

sf[_9_] 01-12-2010 08:10 AM

Made truffles today

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:44:50 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 9:57*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Recipe:

> > > 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> > > 1/2 cup cream
> > > 2 tbs butter

> > > Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> > > stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> > > cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> > > allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> > > pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

> > Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. *You're lighting a fire
> > under me! *Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
> > making something.
> >
> > Thanks, John. *:)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...efefa8c5bba7f#

OMG! I must have missed that one completely... and you *know* how
much I like coconut, I see. LOL! I even have all the ingredients for
that one. Well, truth be known - I have all the ingredients for the
truffles too. Decisions, decisions. :)

:)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

ravenlynne[_5_] 01-12-2010 01:01 PM

Made truffles today

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> Recipe:
>>
>> 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
>> 1/2 cup cream
>> 2 tbs butter
>>
>> Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
>> stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
>> cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
>> allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
>> pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

THat sounds fantastic and easy. Now I want to do it. Can they be made
with liqeur I wonder? And what would be the change in proportions?

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3

ravenlynne[_5_] 01-12-2010 01:03 PM

Made truffles today

On 11/30/2010 11:44 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:57 pm, > wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Recipe:

>>> 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
>>> 1/2 cup cream
>>> 2 tbs butter

>>> Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
>>> stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
>>> cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
>>> allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
>>> pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

>> Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. You're lighting a fire
>> under me! Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
>> making something.
>>
>> Thanks, John. :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...efefa8c5bba7f#
>
> John Kuthe...

Oh my. I'm going to put on weight this christmas...better get to the
gym now.

--
Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3

Kody[_2_] 01-12-2010 03:05 PM

Made truffles today

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg
>
> Recipe:
>
> 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> 1/2 cup cream
> 2 tbs butter
>
> Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.
>
> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :-)
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> John Kuthe..

John, sorry if this is a dumb question but what are you dipping them into?
milk chocolate? I don't see anything mentioned in the recipe. Thanks!

Sqwertz[_25_] 01-12-2010 04:11 PM

Made truffles today

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:04:27 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Nov 30, 10:52*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> You'll keep a pot of dipping chocolate on your back porch like that
>> yet you find a marble slab helpful in this situation?
>>
>> Is that a baked enamel urinal screen under that marble slab? *I do
>> believe it is!

> No Christmas Candy for you, Squertz! You've been a very bad boy!
>
> John Kuthe...

Really, what *is* that under the marble? Or what do you *think* it
is?

-sw

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 07:27 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 1:10*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:44:50 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 9:57 pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

> > > Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. You're lighting a fire
> > > under me! Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
> > > making something.

> > > Thanks, John. :)

> > > --

> > > Never trust a dog to watch your food.

> > See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:

> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...thread/thread/...

> OMG! *I must have missed that one completely... and you *know* how
> much I like coconut, I see. *LOL! *I even have all the ingredients for
> that one. *Well, truth be known - I have all the ingredients for the
> truffles too. *Decisions, decisions. *:)
>
> :)
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Make 'em both! Why choose?

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 07:32 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 8:05*am, "Kody" > wrote:
> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message

> >http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg

> > Recipe:

> > 1lb dark chocolate, chopped
> > 1/2 cup cream
> > 2 tbs butter

> > Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> > stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic wrap,
> > cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room temp and
> > allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB (shown in
> > pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form and dip.

> > Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :-)

> > Merry Christmas!

> > John Kuthe..

> John, sorry if this is a dumb question but what are you dipping them into?
> milk chocolate? I don't see anything mentioned in the recipe. Thanks!

Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:

http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbada...ingformula.htm

I cover other things in their milk chocolate enrobing chocolate, in
fact I need to place an order as soon as I figure out how much more I
need.

Chocoley.com's is really the best compound coating I've found. No
tempering required, it's very forgiving and works very nicely. And
tastes really good for compound coating!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_2_] 01-12-2010 07:33 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 9:11*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:04:27 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 10:52 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> >> You'll keep a pot of dipping chocolate on your back porch like that
> >> yet you find a marble slab helpful in this situation?

> >> Is that a baked enamel urinal screen under that marble slab? I do
> >> believe it is!

> > No Christmas Candy for you, Squertz! You've been a very bad boy!

> > John Kuthe...

> Really, what *is* that under the marble? *Or what do you *think* it
> is?
>
> -sw

An old kitchen table! Stained wood top, no finish other than stain.

John Kuthe...

Ema Nymton 02-12-2010 12:09 AM

Made truffles today

On 12/1/2010 1:10 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:44:50 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 30, 9:57 pm, > wrote:
>>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> Oh, man.... I haven't done that in years. You're lighting a fire
>>> under me! Wave enough candy recipes under my nose and I'll end up
>>> making something.
>>>
>>> Thanks, John. :)
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

>> See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...efefa8c5bba7f#
>>

> OMG! I must have missed that one completely... and you *know* how
> much I like coconut, I see. LOL! I even have all the ingredients for
> that one. Well, truth be known - I have all the ingredients for the
> truffles too. Decisions, decisions. :)

Who was the queen of truffles around here? It could have been Mimi.
Anyway, I used her truffle recipe about 12 yrs ago and they did not turn
out. I have not made them since then, and I make candy several times a
year. I may try it again.

Becca

Ema Nymton 02-12-2010 12:15 AM

Made truffles today

On 12/1/2010 12:32 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
> chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
> and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:
>
> http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbada...ingformula.htm
>
> I cover other things in their milk chocolate enrobing chocolate, in
> fact I need to place an order as soon as I figure out how much more I
> need.
>
> Chocoley.com's is really the best compound coating I've found. No
> tempering required, it's very forgiving and works very nicely. And
> tastes really good for compound coating!
>
> John Kuthe...

Looks good. I have never tried that brand, I usually use Wilson's Candy
Melts. I have several packages that have been sitting there waiting for
me.

Becca

Mark Thorson 02-12-2010 12:19 AM

Made truffles today

John Kuthe wrote:

> http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg

What's the hoop-like tool called?

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 12:30 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 5:19*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
> >http://oi52.tinypic.com/6ozhps.jpg

> What's the hoop-like tool called?

A "dipping loop". I made several of different sizes out of coat hanger
wire for dipping different sized pieces. You can buy commercially made
ones too.

I use a flattened stainless dinner fork for dipping the English
Toffee. Gives 'em that ridged effect:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/10gwvvb.jpg

:-)

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 12:32 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 5:09*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 1:10 AM, sf wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:44:50 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > *wrote:

> >> See my "Coconuts are DONE!" post:

> >>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...thread/thread/....

> > OMG! *I must have missed that one completely... and you *know* how
> > much I like coconut, I see. *LOL! *I even have all the ingredients for
> > that one. *Well, truth be known - I have all the ingredients for the
> > truffles too. *Decisions, decisions. *:)

> Who was the queen of truffles around here? *It could have been Mimi. *
> Anyway, I used her truffle recipe about 12 yrs ago and they did not turn
> out. *I have not made them since then, and I make candy several times a
> year. * I may try it again.
>
> Becca

Try my recipe, it's really simple and I can't imagine it not coming
out good.

Remember, refrigerate the ganache to get it to set up, then bring back
to room temp for working it into pieces.

John Kuthe...

Janet 02-12-2010 02:56 AM

Made truffles today

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 1, 5:09 pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
>> On 12/1/2010 1:10 AM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:44:50 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe

>>> OMG! I must have missed that one completely... and you *know* how
>>> much I like coconut, I see. LOL! I even have all the ingredients for
>>> that one. Well, truth be known - I have all the ingredients for the
>>> truffles too. Decisions, decisions. :)

>> Who was the queen of truffles around here? It could have been Mimi.
>> Anyway, I used her truffle recipe about 12 yrs ago and they did not
>> turn out. I have not made them since then, and I make candy several
>> times a year. I may try it again.
>>
>> Becca

> Try my recipe, it's really simple and I can't imagine it not coming
> out good.
>
> Remember, refrigerate the ganache to get it to set up, then bring back
> to room temp for working it into pieces.
>
> John Kuthe...

To make a simple truffle...

Use 6 oz heavy cream, 1 lb of chocolate (a combination of milk and dark is
good), a pinch of salt, and 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter at room
temperature. A tablespoon or two of invert sugar or glucose would not go
amiss, especially if you want to keep them for a while.

Bring the cream to a boil with salt and invert sugar. Pour over finely
chopped chocolate in a metal bowl (or use discos). Wait a minute or so for
chocolate to melt, then start stirring from the center in one direction and
continue to encourage emulsification. If required to melt all of the lumps,
place bowl on burner over low heat, stirring continuously. When thoroughly
mixed and smooth, set aside at cool room temperature until ganache and bowl
are cool to the touch. Beat in 4 oz softened unsalted butter. Beat in 4-5
tablespoons of liqueur, sich as Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, dark rum, etc if
desired. (Infusing the cream with flavors is another topic...) Set ganache
aside to set up overnight at cool room temperature. use a 1" ice cream scoop
to portion out truffles. Roll between your palms to smooth. If you don't
have a 1" scoop, consider using a pastry bag to pipe rough 1" balls, which
can later be rolled between the palms to smooth. If you do this, obviously
you will not wait for the ganache to set up.

Temper chocolate for dipping. To undercoat, use fingers to dip each one in
chocolate and roll between palms. Let firm up on parchment paper. Using a
dipping tool, dip each undercoated truffle in tempered chocolate and place
on parchment paper. If you wish to garnish the truffles with something, have
it ready to drop/sift onto the freshly dipped truffle.

Janet 02-12-2010 03:00 AM

Made truffles today

John Kuthe wrote:
> Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
> chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
> and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:

As a candy maker once said to me, that's not chocolate.

As a matter of curiosity, have you tried Merckens? (Not "chocolate" either,
of course.)

sf[_9_] 02-12-2010 03:08 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:09:36 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Who was the queen of truffles around here? It could have been Mimi.
> Anyway, I used her truffle recipe about 12 yrs ago and they did not turn
> out. I have not made them since then, and I make candy several times a
> year. I may try it again.

I think Chris posted a Kay Hartman recipe yesterday. I've made
chocolate truffles in the past (no booze), but it wasn't a recipe I
found in rfc. They weren't hard to make and they were *really* good.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 02-12-2010 03:16 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:15:44 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 12/1/2010 12:32 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> > Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
> > chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
> > and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:
> >
> > http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbada...ingformula.htm
> >
> > I cover other things in their milk chocolate enrobing chocolate, in
> > fact I need to place an order as soon as I figure out how much more I
> > need.
> >
> > Chocoley.com's is really the best compound coating I've found. No
> > tempering required, it's very forgiving and works very nicely. And
> > tastes really good for compound coating!
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Looks good. I have never tried that brand, I usually use Wilson's Candy
> Melts. I have several packages that have been sitting there waiting for
> me.

Do you have any unsweetened cocoa powder? I like to roll my truffles
in that.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 02-12-2010 03:17 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:30:32 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> I use a flattened stainless dinner fork for dipping the English
> Toffee. Gives 'em that ridged effect:
>
> http://oi53.tinypic.com/10gwvvb.jpg

Oh, dang... they look *too* good!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 03:45 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 8:00*pm, "Janet" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
> > chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
> > and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:

> As a candy maker once said to me, that's not chocolate.
>
> As a matter of curiosity, have you tried Merckens? (Not "chocolate" either,
> of course.)

Yes, after a local shop stopped carrying what I'd normally bought, I
sampled a variety of different compound coatings, and found Chocoley's
to be the best. The priceyest too! And while nothing except pure
roasted cocoa nibs ground into chocolate is really chocolate, compound
coating are made with real chocolate with different oils added to make
them easier to handle and set up again after being heated to melt
without having to go through the tempering process you'd have to go
through with pure chocolate (sugar added or not!)

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 03:46 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 8:16*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:15:44 -0600, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>

> > On 12/1/2010 12:32 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> > > Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
> > > chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
> > > and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:

> > >http://www.chocoley.com/badabingbada...ingformula.htm

> > > I cover other things in their milk chocolate enrobing chocolate, in
> > > fact I need to place an order as soon as I figure out how much more I
> > > need.

> > > Chocoley.com's is really the best compound coating I've found. No
> > > tempering required, it's very forgiving and works very nicely. And
> > > tastes really good for compound coating!

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Looks good. *I have never tried that brand, I usually use Wilson's Candy
> > Melts. *I have several packages that have been sitting there waiting for
> > me.

> Do you have any unsweetened cocoa powder? *I like to roll my truffles
> in that.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Rolling in cocoa is another way of finishing truffles. I have never
done that, I always dip mine.

John Kuthe...

Sqwertz[_25_] 02-12-2010 05:19 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:33:48 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Dec 1, 9:11*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> No Christmas Candy for you, Squertz! You've been a very bad boy!

>>> John Kuthe...

>> Really, what *is* that under the marble? *Or what do you *think* it
>> is?
>>
>> -sw

> An old kitchen table! Stained wood top, no finish other than stain.

It looks like it had several old finishes to it. It's not very
appetizing looking.

-sw

sf[_9_] 02-12-2010 05:25 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:46:41 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Rolling in cocoa is another way of finishing truffles. I have never
> done that, I always dip mine.

You have sooo inspired me to make candy this season and truffles are
one of the easiest (those coconut balls look just as easy, btw). Cocoa
powder is a no work, no brainer... but I think if I make truffles this
year, I will do half and half cocoa powder and hot chocolate drink
powder (which I always have on hand) because the unsweetened cocoa
powder is a taste bud shock. Yes, I'm prepared for it... but I want
to temper it this time. Why? Because I can!

:)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 05:34 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 10:25*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:46:41 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > Rolling in cocoa is another way of finishing truffles. I have never
> > done that, I always dip mine.

> You have sooo inspired me to make candy this season and truffles are
> one of the easiest (those coconut balls look just as easy, btw). Cocoa
> powder is a no work, no brainer... but I think if I make truffles this
> year, I will do half and half cocoa powder and hot chocolate drink
> powder (which I always have on hand) because the unsweetened cocoa
> powder is a taste bud shock. *Yes, I'm prepared for it... but I want
> to temper it this time. *Why? *Because I can! *
>
> :)
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Rock on! If you have any questions, just ask. I may know the answer.

John Kuthe...

sf[_9_] 02-12-2010 05:43 AM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:34:16 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> Rock on! If you have any questions, just ask. I may know the answer.

Thanks, John. You're a dear.

:)

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Boron Elgar 02-12-2010 03:47 PM

Made truffles today

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:19:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:33:48 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Really, what *is* that under the marble? *Or what do you *think* it
>>> is?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> An old kitchen table! Stained wood top, no finish other than stain.

>It looks like it had several old finishes to it. It's not very
>appetizing looking.

Try it with salt.

Boron

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 04:46 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 1, 10:19*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:33:48 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Really, what *is* that under the marble? Or what do you *think* it
> >> is?

> >> -sw

> > An old kitchen table! Stained wood top, no finish other than stain.

> It looks like it had several old finishes to it. *It's not very
> appetizing looking.
>
> -sw

Only stained, no other finishes. And at least one rounded corner is
unfinished, not even stained. It looks like a table top someone made.
But it's very functional! Keeps stuff up off the floor!

John Kuthe..

Sqwertz[_25_] 02-12-2010 05:31 PM

Made truffles today

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:46:29 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Dec 1, 10:19*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> An old kitchen table! Stained wood top, no finish other than stain.

>> It looks like it had several old finishes to it. *It's not very
>> appetizing looking.
>>
>> -sw

> Only stained, no other finishes. And at least one rounded corner is
> unfinished, not even stained. It looks like a table top someone made.
> But it's very functional! Keeps stuff up off the floor!

Isn't that special...

-sw

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 06:00 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 2, 10:31*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:46:29 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> >> It looks like it had several old finishes to it. It's not very
> >> appetizing looking.

> >> -sw

> > Only stained, no other finishes. And at least one rounded corner is
> > unfinished, not even stained. It looks like a table top someone made.
> > But it's very functional! Keeps stuff up off the floor!

> Isn't that special...
>
> -sw

You are just unhappy because you're not getting any Christmas Candy!

John Kuthe...

Sqwertz[_25_] 02-12-2010 06:30 PM

Made truffles today

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:00:31 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Dec 2, 10:31*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Only stained, no other finishes. And at least one rounded corner is
>>> unfinished, not even stained. It looks like a table top someone made.
>>> But it's very functional! Keeps stuff up off the floor!

>> Isn't that special...
>>
>> -sw

> You are just unhappy because you're not getting any Christmas Candy!

I'll get more candy than I need. An it won't be made on somebody's
unfinished, screened in back porch, or wherever that is.

-sw

John Kuthe[_2_] 02-12-2010 06:53 PM

Made truffles today

On Dec 2, 11:30*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:00:31 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> >> Isn't that special...

> >> -sw

> > You are just unhappy because you're not getting any Christmas Candy!

> I'll get more candy than I need. *An it won't be made on somebody's
> unfinished, screened in back porch, or wherever that is.
>
> -sw

It's in my kitchen, ya nood! Jees!

John Kuthe...

Tom Del Rosso[_2_] 03-12-2010 12:02 AM

Made truffles today

sf wrote:
> > Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> > stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic
> > wrap, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room
> > temp and allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB
> > (shown in pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form
> > and dip.

How do you dip them and get coverage where your fingers are?

zero, and remove the last word.

Sqwertz[_25_] 03-12-2010 05:39 AM

Made truffles today

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:53:48 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Dec 2, 11:30*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> I'll get more candy than I need. *An it won't be made on somebody's
>> unfinished, screened in back porch, or wherever that is.

> It's in my kitchen, ya nood! Jees!

You have unfinished red gravel brick in your kitchen?

It would not pass building codes in any County I've ever bid on
projects. Even in the residential bathrooms. There must be at
least sheet rock over any mortar.

And _certainly_ not commercially.

-sw

John Kuthe[_2_] 03-12-2010 06:02 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 2, 5:02*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > > Heat cream+butter to boil, reduce heat and dump in chocolate, stir
> > > stir stir until smooth. Pour onto baking pan lined with plastic
> > > wrap, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cold, remove to room
> > > temp and allow to fully warm, unwrap top, invert onto MARBLE SLAB
> > > (shown in pic), cut into strips, then into individual pieces, form
> > > and dip.

> How do you dip them and get coverage where your fingers are?
>
> --
>
> Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
> zero, and remove the last word.

Dipping loop!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe[_2_] 03-12-2010 06:04 AM

Made truffles today

On Dec 2, 10:39*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:53:48 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 11:30 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> >> I'll get more candy than I need. An it won't be made on somebody's
> >> unfinished, screened in back porch, or wherever that is.

> > It's in my kitchen, ya nood! Jees!

> You have unfinished red gravel brick in your kitchen?
>
> It would not pass building codes in any County I've ever bid on
> projects. *Even in the residential bathrooms. *There must be at
> least sheet rock over any mortar.
>
> And _certainly_ not commercially.
>
> -sw

This is a 100 year old house in a historic neighborhood. It's a rental
and gets inspected regularly so it must be up to code.

John Kuthe...

Janet 03-12-2010 05:06 PM

Made truffles today

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Dec 1, 8:00 pm, "Janet" > wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> Compound coating. I've sampled a variety, and now I buy my covering
>>> chocolate from Chocoley.com. I use their Bada Bing Bada Boom dipping
>>> and enrobing formula, the dark chocolate:

>> As a candy maker once said to me, that's not chocolate.
>>
>> As a matter of curiosity, have you tried Merckens? (Not "chocolate"
>> either, of course.)

> Yes, after a local shop stopped carrying what I'd normally bought, I
> sampled a variety of different compound coatings, and found Chocoley's
> to be the best. The priceyest too! And while nothing except pure
> roasted cocoa nibs ground into chocolate is really chocolate, compound
> coating are made with real chocolate with different oils added to make
> them easier to handle and set up again after being heated to melt
> without having to go through the tempering process you'd have to go
> through with pure chocolate (sugar added or not!)
>
> John Kuthe...

I know what coating is, John. Personally, I use tempering machines these
days. There's a big difference between cocoa suspended in vegetable oil and
couverture.