FoodBanter.com

-   -   What happened to marble cake mixes? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/402750-what-happened-marble-cake.html)

[email protected] 28-11-2010 04:41 PM

What happened to marble cake mixes?

In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

John

Terry[_3_] 28-11-2010 06:56 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:41:36 -0500, wrote:

In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

John

John, I don't know what brand (Pillsbury, Duncan Hines?) we have, but
I know we've got a marble cake mix on our shelf which was bought not
too long ago. I pulled it out while debating whether to use it for
the pumpkin pie cake I made last week (discarding the chocolate part),
but decided to buy a yellow cake mix after all. So they're not all
gone.
--
Best -- Terry

sf[_9_] 28-11-2010 06:56 PM

What happened to marble cake mixes?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:41:36 -0500, wrote:

In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

Time to do it yourself again. The fad has passed and they're on to
something new. Don't you see molten chocolate/lava cake mixes on the
shelf now?
http://img.meijer.com/assets/product...6527_A_400.jpg

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Nancy2 29-11-2010 06:55 PM

On Nov 28, 9:41*am, wrote:
In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

John

Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.

N.

(Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

zxcvbob 29-11-2010 07:21 PM

Nancy2 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

John

Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.

N.

(Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so
one chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one
marble cake.

(Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)

Bob

ImStillMags 29-11-2010 08:09 PM

On Nov 29, 10:21*am, zxcvbob wrote:
Nancy2 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Or just make the white cake mix and take half of it and add some cocoa
to it.

spamtrap1888 29-11-2010 08:40 PM

On Nov 28, 7:41*am, wrote:
In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

Betty Crocker and Pillsbury have been the same company since 2001. My
guess is that marble cake just wasn't that popular anymore, and no
longer deserved shelf space.

What is lacking in the Hines mix? Maybe you could goose it up with
some good cocoa or vanilla.

Search out other stores near you for private label -- the Gilster-Mary
Lee corp still makes fudge marble cake mix.

Bryan[_6_] 29-11-2010 10:30 PM

On Nov 28, 9:41*am, wrote:
In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

John

--Bryan

Terry Pulliam Burd[_5_] 30-11-2010 06:31 AM

What happened to marble cake mixes?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
arranged random neurons and said:

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Aussie 30-11-2010 06:35 AM

What happened to marble cake mixes?

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in
:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
arranged random neurons and said:

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Does he actually cook anything, or just spends his time on here bitching and
moaning?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-11-2010 09:44 AM

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Nancy2 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
[...]

That's what I used to do, but... I would add more chocolate to the
chocolate because the marble part seems like darker chocolate. I know they
do make a chocolate cake, but finding it is the hard part. Last time I got
any I had to mail order it from Hometown Favorites but I threw all of the
mixes out when I discovered dead bugs in some.

I have seen other brands of mixes that make a single layer. They come in a
pouch. I can't remember the brand.

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-11-2010 09:45 AM

Nancy2 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
[...]

I've done that too, but now that I think about it, I think I used yellow
cake and not white.

Bryan[_6_] 30-11-2010 12:49 PM

On Nov 29, 11:31*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
arranged random neurons and said:

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
they have their place

No, they don't. They're f-ing garbage, and the pieces of shit who put
them out still load them with hydrogenated oils. I'd rather see those
folks killed slowly that enable them to buy a second yacht.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--Bryan

Bryan[_6_] 30-11-2010 12:52 PM

What happened to marble cake mixes?

On Nov 29, 11:35*pm, Aussie
wrote:
Terry Pulliam Burd wrote :

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
arranged random neurons and said:

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Does he actually cook anything, or just spends his time on here bitching and
moaning?

I do, but those who have me KFed seldom see evidence of such.
My Flickr site has photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5206917056/

--
Peter Lucas *