Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to marble cake mixes?

In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
what happened?

John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 9:41*am, wrote:
> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> what happened?
>
> John

Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.

N.

(Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
>> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
>> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
>> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
>> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
>> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
>> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
>> what happened?
>>
>> John

> Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
> directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
> pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.
>
> N.
>
> (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so
one chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one
marble cake.

(Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Nov 29, 10:21*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
> >> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> >> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> >> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> >> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> >> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> >> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> >> what happened?

> >> John

> > Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
> > directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
> > pan and swirling it. *Eat one, freeze one.

> > N.

> > (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

> Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? *Each box only makes one layer, so
> one chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one
> marble cake.
>
> (Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

Or just make the white cake mix and take half of it and add some cocoa
to it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 7:41*am, wrote:
> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> what happened?
>
> John

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 7:41*am, wrote:
> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> what happened?

Betty Crocker and Pillsbury have been the same company since 2001. My
guess is that marble cake just wasn't that popular anymore, and no
longer deserved shelf space.

What is lacking in the Hines mix? Maybe you could goose it up with
some good cocoa or vanilla.

Search out other stores near you for private label -- the Gilster-Mary
Lee corp still makes fudge marble cake mix.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 9:41*am, wrote:
> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> what happened?

Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

> John

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> arranged random neurons and said:

>Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
>Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

"If the soup had been as warm as the wine,
if the wine had been as old as the turkey,

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
>>Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

> Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
> rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
> they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
> find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Does he actually cook anything, or just spends his time on here bitching and
moaning?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
>>> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
>>> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
>>> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
>>> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
>>> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
>>> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
>>> what happened?
>>>
>>> John

>> Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
>> directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
>> pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.
>>
>> N.
>>
>> (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

> Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so one
> chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one marble
> cake.
>
> (Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)

That's what I used to do, but... I would add more chocolate to the
chocolate because the marble part seems like darker chocolate. I know they
do make a chocolate cake, but finding it is the hard part. Last time I got
any I had to mail order it from Hometown Favorites but I threw all of the
mixes out when I discovered dead bugs in some.

I have seen other brands of mixes that make a single layer. They come in a
pouch. I can't remember the brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Nov 29, 10:21 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> > On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
> >> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> >> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
> >> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> >> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> >> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> >> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> >> what happened?

> >> John

> > Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
> > directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
> > pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.

> > N.

> > (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

> Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so
> one chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one
> marble cake.
>
> (Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)
>
> Bob- Hide quoted text -

Or just make the white cake mix and take half of it and add some cocoa
to it.

I've done that too, but now that I think about it, I think I used yellow
cake and not white.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 11:31*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
> >Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

> Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
> rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
> they have their place

No, they don't. They're f-ing garbage, and the pieces of shit who put
them out still load them with hydrogenated oils. I'd rather see those
folks killed slowly that enable them to buy a second yacht.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 11:35*pm, Aussie >
wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote :
>
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > > arranged random neurons and said:

> >>Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
> >>Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

> > Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
> > rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
> > they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
> > find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.

> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> Does he actually cook anything, or just spends his time on here bitching and
> moaning?

I do, but those who have me KFed seldom see evidence of such.
My Flickr site has photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/5206917056/

> --
> Peter Lucas *

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 03:49:12 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Nov 29, 11:31*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>> > arranged random neurons and said:
>>
>> >Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
>> >Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

>> Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
>> rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
>> they have their place

>No, they don't. They're f-ing garbage, and the pieces of shit who put
>them out still load them with hydrogenated oils. I'd rather see those
>folks killed slowly that enable them to buy a second yacht.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>

>--Bryan

I've been around these parts for over a decade and I thought I'd never
find anyone here as irritatingly idiotic and useless as Sheldon.

I was wrong.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 1:30*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Nov 28, 9:41*am, wrote:
>
> > In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
> > I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. *Why?
> > Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
> > coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
> > Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
> > Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
> > what happened?

> Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. *Duncan Hines, Betty
> Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

Name a better forum for the OP to ask his question in. Otherwise
you're just wasting bandwidth by replying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
>>> directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
>>> pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.
>>>
>>> N.
>>>
>>> (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

>> Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so one
>> chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one marble
>> cake.
>>
>> (Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)

> That's what I used to do, but... I would add more chocolate to the
> chocolate because the marble part seems like darker chocolate. I know they
> do make a chocolate cake, but finding it is the hard part. Last time I got
> any I had to mail order it from Hometown Favorites but I threw all of the
> mixes out when I discovered dead bugs in some.
>
> I have seen other brands of mixes that make a single layer. They come in a
> pouch. I can't remember the brand.

The more I think about it, the more I like the "chocolate syrup" idea.
Adding cocoa to a mix might make it too dry

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:31:53 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:30:08 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> > arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>Another brilliant question from a WebTVer. Duncan Hines, Betty
>>Crocker and Pillsbury are all trash.

> Oh, for the love of...your nose is stuck so high in the air, if it
> rains, you'll drown. Jaysus. I don't personally like box mixes, but
> they have their place, as do the myriad of other kitchen shortcuts you
> find so distasteful. Get over yourself, boyo.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

unlikely, at best. the boy's got lots of stamina.

your pal,
blake

marble cake paparly Baking 1 27-05-2014 08:34 AM
Marble Cake Mix Nancy2 General Cooking 0 07-12-2010 05:49 PM
Out of date cake/pancake mixes Aussie General Cooking 31 05-12-2010 04:18 PM
That LA Times marble cake Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 3 14-06-2008 08:40 PM
Beverly's Choco-Scotch Marble Cake Tizzy Girl Recipes (moderated) 0 27-10-2005 02:14 AM