FoodBanter.com

-   -   Chicken rice casserole recipe? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/402745-chicken-rice-casserole-recipe.html)

KenK 28-11-2010 03:07 PM

Chicken rice casserole recipe?

Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
_Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
often been disappointed that way.

TIA

sf[_9_] 28-11-2010 06:47 PM

On 28 Nov 2010 14:07:38 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.

My chicken and rice isn't a casserole dish. It's stovetop.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

KenK 28-11-2010 07:08 PM

Chicken rice casserole recipe?

sf > wrote in
:

> On 28 Nov 2010 14:07:38 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
>> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My
>> ancient _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone
>> have a favorite recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly
>> Googling; I've too often been disappointed that way.
>>

> My chicken and rice isn't a casserole dish. It's stovetop.

That's ok. Could you please post it?

TIA

Ken

The Ranger[_13_] 28-11-2010 07:16 PM

On Nov 28, 6:07*am, KenK > wrote:
> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.

Chicken & Rice Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
4-6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves*
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1-1/2 cups water**
2 TBS. soy sauce
2 TBS. cider vinegar
2 TBS. honey
1 tsp. garlic, crushed
Paprika (light dusting for color)

METHOD:
Spread the rice in a 9" X 13" Pyrex baking dish; top with the
chicken.
Stir the soup, water, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and garlic together
in a medium bowl. Pour mixture over the chicken. Lightly dust chicken
with the paprika. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
and the rice is tender.

* I brown my chicken prior to baking it. My family prefers it that way
rather than steamed.
** Make sure your rice only requires 3/4 cup of water to cook; some
require a 1:1 ratio.

sf[_9_] 28-11-2010 08:44 PM

On 28 Nov 2010 18:08:45 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 28 Nov 2010 14:07:38 GMT, KenK > wrote:
> >
> >> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My
> >> ancient _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone
> >> have a favorite recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly
> >> Googling; I've too often been disappointed that way.
> >>

> > My chicken and rice isn't a casserole dish. It's stovetop.
> >

> That's ok. Could you please post it?

It's not what I'd call a recipe, Ken, but here goes -

Season your chicken parts and sauté them in as little oil as possible.
If you use skinless parts, you may need to add a teaspoon or so of oil
or butter (grandma used butter, I use olive oil) - but if they are
skin on, there should be plenty of fat so you won't need any oil. I
aim for browned on the outside and as raw as possible on the inside.
Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside. Add desired amount of
rice (I always use medium - not long grain) and a little oil, if
necessary. Stir on low until translucent. Start adding broth or
water risotto style, a little at a time. When the rice has popped
(but you still see a bit of raw rice in the middle) and the liquid is
almost absorbed, put the chicken on top of it and cover. Cook on low
heat until the chicken is cooked through and the rice develops a
crispy brown bottom.

I usually add chopped onion to my rice in the sautéing stage, but it's
not necessary. Don't forget a bit of salt too - otherwise it will be
flat tasting. HTH

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Melba's Jammin' 29-11-2010 12:39 AM

Chicken rice casserole recipe?

In article >,
KenK > wrote:

> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.
>
> TIA

Chicken-Rice Dinner

Recipe By: Posted again to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller (with a
paper bag over her head so people won't see it's her using canned
condensed soups), Sunday, November 28, 2010.

Serving Size: 4-6

3/4 cup white rice
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can milk
Frying chicken pieces
Melted butter (may be omitted)
Parsley flakes

Butter a 1-1/2 quart rectangular baking dish (or a 9x13² pan) and
sprinkle rice in it. In a bowl, combine the cream soups and milk,
stirring until smooth. Pour over rice. Lay chicken pieces, skin side
up, on top. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with parsley flakes,
if desired. Cover tightly with foil or a tight-fitting cover. Bake
2-1/2 hours at 300°; remove cover and bake another 30 minutes to brown
the chicken.

Extra good if you add mushrooms and slivered almonds to the soups. No
need for potatoes and gravy as rice takes their place.

Notes: Recipe is from Sister Al at my bridal shower in February 1966.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Jean B.[_1_] 29-11-2010 01:33 AM

KenK wrote:
> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.
>
> TIA

Oh, gee, my second mother used to make a casserole of chicken,
rice, hard-boiled egg slices, maybe mushrooms.... Now I forget
the sauce/gravy. :-(

--
Jean B.

ImStillMags 29-11-2010 01:42 AM

Chicken rice casserole recipe?

On Nov 28, 3:39*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> Recipe By: *Posted again to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller (with a
> paper bag over her head so people won't see it's her using canned
> condensed soups), Sunday, November 28, 2010.

Ha.....Barb!!! You beat me to it.

Here's my old 'made up' recipe from the 60's as well.

One box of chicken Rice a Roni
fresh chicken parts - which ever ones you like
1 celery stalk - chopped
1 medium onion - chopped small
1 can of either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.

Brown the chicken parts in a bit of oil and butter and set aside in
casserole dish
Saute the vegetables till translucent and put them over the chicken in
the casserole dish.
Brown the Rice a Roni till the vermicelli is browned.
Add the seasoning packet out of the Rice a Roni, the can of soup and a
can of water to the rice and blend well.
Pour the rice mixture over the chicken and bake in the oven at 350,
covered, for about 20 minutes...uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes
till chicken is completely done and rice has absorbed all the liquid.

this is actually pretty damn tasty...and easy too.

Nancy2 29-11-2010 06:49 PM

On Nov 28, 8:07*am, KenK > wrote:
> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

No recipe required - dice up your chicken (or shred it); cook some
rice; get some broccoli and cook that to just barely tender; get some
shredded cheddar cheese.

Make some "white sauce" - standard bechamel - I used chicken stock
with about 1/4 milk and 3/4 stock and cornstarch as the
thickener....mixed in some "Better than Boullion" chicken base to
punch up the flavor. I put in diced celery, onion and green pepper
that had been sweated in a little bit of butter. Salt and pepper to
taste.

Mix all together and put in a buttered casserole dish - cover the top
with buttered fresh bread crumbs - bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

N.

Nancy2 29-11-2010 06:51 PM

Chicken rice casserole recipe?

> this is actually pretty damn tasty...and easy too.

I always make my own sauce - those creamed soups are somewhat
flavorful, but not as good, IMO. However, they are easier.

N.

Serene Vannoy 29-11-2010 09:33 PM

On 11/28/2010 06:07 AM, KenK wrote:
> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
> often been disappointed that way.

Mine is delicious, but totally trashy. I've posted it here before. It's
also great if you make the mushroom sauce from scratch, so don't you
purists whine at me for using canned soup; it's how my mother did it,
and I'm not making you eat it.

Mom Vannoy's Chicken and Rice

P2 cups uncooked white rice in a baking dish. Then six skinned chicken
thighs or a skinned, cut-up chicken. Garlic powder. A layer of sliced
onions. Mix up soup (1 can EACH of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken,
and cream of celery soups (I use all mushroom)) with some pepper, 3 cans
of water, 3 cans of milk, and pour on top. Sprinkle paprika on top of
that. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, until the chicken doesn't bleed
when you pierce it.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

blake murphy[_2_] 30-11-2010 07:02 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:33:27 -0800, Serene Vannoy wrote:

> On 11/28/2010 06:07 AM, KenK wrote:
>> Someone here mentioned chicken rice casserole a few days ago. My ancient
>> _Joy of Cooking_ doesn't list a recipe. Sounds good. Anyone have a favorite
>> recipe? I prefer getting one here rather than blindly Googling; I've too
>> often been disappointed that way.

> Mine is delicious, but totally trashy. I've posted it here before. It's
> also great if you make the mushroom sauce from scratch, so don't you
> purists whine at me for using canned soup; it's how my mother did it,
> and I'm not making you eat it.

i think you *should* make them eat it.

your pal,
blake