Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking Hard "Boiled" Eggs

You should be able to bake a whole shell on egg in a low 230-250F
oven, right? Assuming I already have a low oven going, why not?

But after cleaning up the bloody mary mess last night I didn't want
to clean the self-cleaning oven, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> You should be able to bake a whole shell on egg in a low 230-250F
> oven, right? Assuming I already have a low oven going, why not?
>
> But after cleaning up the bloody mary mess last night I didn't want
> to clean the self-cleaning oven, too.

I know you can do it because I have seen various cooking shows that make
that bread with the eggs braided into the top. I believe Cake Boss was the
last one I saw. He said the eggs came out like hard boiled. I don't know
about the quality of them though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 7:06*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> You should be able to bake a whole shell on egg in a low 230-250F
> oven, right? *Assuming I already have a low oven going, why not?
>
> But after cleaning up the bloody mary mess last night I didn't want
> to clean the self-cleaning oven, too.

==
Never heard of 'baking' eggs in the shell before. Sounds feasible but
why? Any special reason that it has any merit over conventional
methods?
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:59:18 -0800 (PST), Roy wrote:

> On Nov 27, 7:06*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> You should be able to bake a whole shell on egg in a low 230-250F
>> oven, right? *Assuming I already have a low oven going, why not?
>>
>> But after cleaning up the bloody mary mess last night I didn't want
>> to clean the self-cleaning oven, too.

> ==
> Never heard of 'baking' eggs in the shell before. Sounds feasible but
> why? Any special reason that it has any merit over conventional
> methods?
> ==

Can you not read? Because I already have a low oven going. Why
would I boil water if I already have the necessary heat. I know it
will take longer than a water bath, but that is not an issue.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 04:21:20 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

> On 27-Nov-2010, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> You should be able to bake a whole shell on egg in a low 230-250F
>> oven, right? Assuming I already have a low oven going, why not?

> Every Easter I bake sweet rolls with with a decorated egg in the middle
> (think bagel with an egg in the hole). The eggs are raw, the dough wrapped
> around them, then baked in a 350F oven. I don't know how much of an
> insulating effect the bread has; but, the eggs turn out as a perfectly
> boiled egg would.

Interesting. Doesn't the dye smear at all? Or is that part of the
intended effect?

Now I wonder how high an egg can be cooked at in the oven. Andy,
make yourself useful for a change.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:42:51 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> No smearing; but, McCormick Food Color and Egg Dye "bleeds". Where the
> dough meets the egg, the dye transfers to the dough. It is noticeable but
> not unsightly. It's been many years since I used Paas dye and I don't
> recall whether it did the same thing as McCormick or not.

You don't use food coloring and vinegar?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 22:44:55 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 28-Nov-2010, sf > wrote:
>
> > > No smearing; but, McCormick Food Color and Egg Dye "bleeds". Where the
> > > dough meets the egg, the dye transfers to the dough. It is noticeable
> > > but
> > > not unsightly. It's been many years since I used Paas dye and I don't
> > > recall whether it did the same thing as McCormick or not.

> > You don't use food coloring and vinegar?

> Yes, I use vinegar with the McCormick Food Color and Egg Dye.

Huh, I never noticed the entire name on the box before this.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.