Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The perfect G&T....

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...perfect%20Gin%
20and%20Tonic/

http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv

A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin, good tonic
water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro swizzle stick.

I can get through 3 of those in a sitting, and that's it. At least I'm
getting 3 pints of fluids in, the miniscule amounts of Quinine per serve will
hopefully build up over time and stop me from getting Malaria..... again.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote:

>http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...perfect%20Gin%
>20and%20Tonic/
>
>http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv
>

>A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin, good tonic
>water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro swizzle stick.

Typical know-nothing low IQ Austrailor... dosen't know that G&T
contains lime, not lemon.... tonic water is even marketed lime
flavored. You'd best stick with your down under woofy beer.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/d...ipe/index.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Aussie" > wrote in message
5...
> http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...perfect%20Gin%
> 20and%20Tonic/
>

> http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv
>

> A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin, good tonic
> water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro swizzle stick.
>
> I can get through 3 of those in a sitting, and that's it. At least I'm
> getting 3 pints of fluids in, the miniscule amounts of Quinine per serve
> will
> hopefully build up over time and stop me from getting Malaria..... again.

Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is the only citrus
fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is the only citrus
>fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

Only pagans from north America put a lime into a G&T. Everywhere else,
it's a lemon.

Particularly in Commonwealth countries.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in -
september.org:

> "Aussie" > wrote in message
> 5...
>> http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...The%20perfect%

20Gin%
>> 20and%20Tonic/
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv
>>

>> A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin, good tonic
>> water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro swizzle stick.
>>
>> I can get through 3 of those in a sitting, and that's it. At least I'm
>> getting 3 pints of fluids in, the miniscule amounts of Quinine per

serve
>> will
>> hopefully build up over time and stop me from getting Malaria.....

again.

> Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is the only

citrus
> fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

*I* prefer lemon.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:24*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> >Lemon? *Dear god man what has this world come to? *Lime is the only citrus
> >fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

> Only pagans from north America put a lime into a G&T. *Everywhere else,
> it's a lemon.
>
> Particularly in Commonwealth countries.
>
> Steve

But everyone knows that "there's no ice in gin and tonic!"

Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in -
september.org:

> "Aussie" > wrote in message
> 5...
>> http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...The%20perfect%

20Gin%
>> 20and%20Tonic/
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv
>>

>> A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin, good tonic
>> water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro swizzle stick.
>>
>> I can get through 3 of those in a sitting, and that's it. At least I'm
>> getting 3 pints of fluids in, the miniscule amounts of Quinine per

serve
>> will
>> hopefully build up over time and stop me from getting Malaria.....

again.

> Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is the only

citrus
> fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

The last sentence in the exerpt below clarifies *that* particular fact....

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10298-classic-gin-and-tonic

"Gin and the quinine-derived tonic may be at the heart of a Gin and Tonic,
but there is much more in its soul. In his book On Drink, Kingsley Amis
quips, "It would be rather shabby to take money for explaining that, for
instance, a gin and tonic consists of gin and tonic, plus ice and a slice
of lemon." Money matters aside, the lack of preparation details in most
cocktail books takes the Gin and Tonic - or other tonic drinks - for
granted. But who among us has not had an appalling G&T? A good Gin and
Tonic, Gin Tonic, or Gin Tonny must be cold and not overwhelmed by tonic,
as is the case in most printed recipes.

Historically, quinine has been taken as an antidote to fevers for hundreds
of years. In seventeenth-century India, the British mixed it with gin and
lemon juice to reduce the quinine’s bitterness. Schweppes, a company that
perfected carbonated mineral water in the 1780s, introduced their tonic
water in the 1870s. It soon became popular with British troops as a
premixed, curiously refreshing alternative. The fact that Amis and much of
the world prefer lemon to lime is another issue entirely."

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Aussie" > wrote in message
5...

> Every recipe, every bar, and every G&T I have ever had, always has ice in
> it.
>
> Which weird planet are you from??? ;-P

Me too, and I used to be a bartender in the old days.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:54:39 -0800 (PST), sueb >
wrote:

> On Nov 22, 11:24*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> > Paul M. Cook > wrote:
> >
> > >Lemon? *Dear god man what has this world come to? *Lime is the only citrus
> > >fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.

> > Only pagans from north America put a lime into a G&T. *Everywhere else,
> > it's a lemon.
> >
> > Particularly in Commonwealth countries.
> >
> > Steve

> But everyone knows that "there's no ice in gin and tonic!"

Only when the tonic is properly chilled.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aussie wrote on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:09:00 GMT:

>> "Aussie" > wrote in
>> message 5...
>>> http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...The%20perfect%

> 20Gin%
>>> 20and%20Tonic/
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/24fyeqv
>>>
>>> A pint glass, some chunks of ice, a fresh lemon, good Gin,
>>> good tonic water.... and most importantly of all, a fluro
>>> swizzle stick.
>>>
>>> I can get through 3 of those in a sitting, and that's it. At
>>> least I'm getting 3 pints of fluids in, the miniscule
>>> amounts of Quinine per

> serve
>>> will
>>> hopefully build up over time and stop me from getting
>>> Malaria.....

> again.
>>
>> Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is
>> the only

> citrus
>> fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.
>>

> The last sentence in the exerpt below clarifies *that*
> particular fact....

> http://www.chow.com/recipes/10298-classic-gin-and-tonic

> "Gin and the quinine-derived tonic may be at the heart of a
> Gin and Tonic, but there is much more in its soul. In his book
> On Drink, Kingsley Amis quips, "It would be rather shabby to
> take money for explaining that, for instance, a gin and tonic
> consists of gin and tonic, plus ice and a slice of lemon."
> Money matters aside, the lack of preparation details in most
> cocktail books takes the Gin and Tonic - or other tonic drinks
> - for granted. But who among us has not had an appalling G&T?
> A good Gin and Tonic, Gin Tonic, or Gin Tonny must be cold and
> not overwhelmed by tonic, as is the case in most printed
> recipes.

> Historically, quinine has been taken as an antidote to fevers
> for hundreds of years. In seventeenth-century India, the
> British mixed it with gin and lemon juice to reduce the
> quinine’s bitterness. Schweppes, a company that perfected
> carbonated mineral water in the 1780s, introduced their tonic
> water in the 1870s. It soon became popular with British troops
> as a premixed, curiously refreshing alternative. The fact that
> Amis and much of the world prefer lemon to lime is another
> issue entirely."

I suppose a lot of people do like gin and lime and thus get confused.
However, if you prefer lime to lemon, why not? Cocktails are not a
religious ceremony :-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Only pagans from north America put a lime into a G&T.

Pagans tend to be tree huggers. Gin is made by torturing juniper trees
but not killing them. Hence most of my pagan friends tend to avoid gin.
My pagan friends tend to go with vodka, tonic and whatever organic
citrus looked good at the store today. Being a heathen myself, I say yet
another reason for home brewed mead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:31:08 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Cocktails are not a religious ceremony :-)

I think more than one "That's Not a Martini" club member will not
agree.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Aussie wrote on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:09:00 GMT:
>
>>> "Aussie" > wrote in
>>> message 5...

>> 20Gin%

>> serve

>> again.
>>>
>>> Lemon? Dear god man what has this world come to? Lime is
>>> the only

>> citrus
>>> fruit that should ever touch a proper gin and tonic.
>>>

>> The last sentence in the exerpt below clarifies *that*
>> particular fact....

>> http://www.chow.com/recipes/10298-classic-gin-and-tonic

>> "Gin and the quinine-derived tonic may be at the heart of a
>> Gin and Tonic, but there is much more in its soul. In his book
>> On Drink, Kingsley Amis quips, "It would be rather shabby to
>> take money for explaining that, for instance, a gin and tonic
>> consists of gin and tonic, plus ice and a slice of lemon."
>> Money matters aside, the lack of preparation details in most
>> cocktail books takes the Gin and Tonic - or other tonic drinks
>> - for granted. But who among us has not had an appalling G&T?
>> A good Gin and Tonic, Gin Tonic, or Gin Tonny must be cold and
>> not overwhelmed by tonic, as is the case in most printed
>> recipes.

>> Historically, quinine has been taken as an antidote to fevers
>> for hundreds of years. In seventeenth-century India, the
>> British mixed it with gin and lemon juice to reduce the
>> quinine's bitterness. Schweppes, a company that perfected
>> carbonated mineral water in the 1780s, introduced their tonic
>> water in the 1870s. It soon became popular with British troops
>> as a premixed, curiously refreshing alternative. The fact that
>> Amis and much of the world prefer lemon to lime is another
>> issue entirely."

> I suppose a lot of people do like gin and lime and thus get confused.
> However, if you prefer lime to lemon, why not? Cocktails are not a
> religious ceremony :-)
> --

They are in my house.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in :

> "Aussie" > wrote in message
> 5...
>
>> Every recipe, every bar, and every G&T I have ever had, always has ice in
>> it.
>>
>> Which weird planet are you from??? ;-P

> Me too, and I used to be a bartender in the old days.
>
> Cheri

I'll remember that next time I have a party and need a bartender ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:icejua$7p6
:

> Aussie wrote on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:09:00 GMT:
>

> I suppose a lot of people do like gin and lime and thus get confused.

I've never yet met *anyone* who asks for lime in the G&T....

Limes are obviously cheaper over your way...... as they can be horredously
expensive over here.

Lemons on the other hand, a lot of backyards over here usually have a
tree.

> However, if you prefer lime to lemon, why not?

Agreed, horses for course.

Much the same as those ****s that put slices of lemon in their beer.

> Cocktails are not a
> religious ceremony :-)

Some can be :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 12:12*pm, Aussie >
wrote:
> sueb > wrote in news:16b159b4-7687-428d-a9a3-
> :

> > citrus

> >> Only pagans from north America put a lime into a G&T. *Everywhere else,
> >> it's a lemon.

> >> Particularly in Commonwealth countries.

> >> Steve

> > But everyone knows that "there's no ice in gin and tonic!"

> Every recipe, every bar, and every G&T I have ever had, always has ice in it.
>
> Which weird planet are you from??? ;-P
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> Hobart
> Tasmania
>
> The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
> whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
> but only when done with love.- Hide quoted text -

The one where they show The Year of Living Dangerously. The British
ambassador to Indonesia gets all huffy because someone puts ice in his
gin and tonic.

Notice the quotation marks.

Susan B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sueb > wrote in news:be79ea3b-1f34-44e5-b6e0-
:

> On Nov 22, 12:12*pm, Aussie >
> wrote:
>> sueb > wrote in news:16b159b4-7687-428d-a9a3-
>> :

> ly
>> > citrus

> se,

>> > But everyone knows that "there's no ice in gin and tonic!"

>> Every recipe, every bar, and every G&T I have ever had, always has ice

in
> it.
>>
>> Which weird planet are you from??? ;-P
>>

> The one where they show The Year of Living Dangerously. The British
> ambassador to Indonesia gets all huffy because someone puts ice in his
> gin and tonic.
>
> Notice the quotation marks.

I did notice them....... thought it was a well versed comment of yours.

As I'm not a movie "afficionado" to the point of knowing which movie and
when a particular comment is made ........ I'll just take your word for
it.

But just remember........ it's *only* a movie, it's not real :-)

A Perfect 10? JL[_3_] General Cooking 14 12-10-2010 07:09 PM
Perfect BBQ was had Duwop Barbecue 0 27-05-2005 10:47 PM
The perfect cup of tea Captain Infinity Tea 12 19-04-2005 08:20 PM
The perfect cup of tea Captain Infinity Tea 0 08-04-2005 02:18 AM
The perfect foil creates the perfect setup again! Jay Santos Vegan 860 27-01-2005 09:32 PM