Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wikipedia charging?

Stu wrote:
> I got an email from an acquaintance with something strange info in it,
> seems Wikipedia may be in the process to start charging for their
> service.
> Isn't Wikipedia the free encyclopedia, with its content from users
> from all over the internet, this content given freely to help build
> Wikipedia's site and search engine position? Has anyone heard this
> rumor as well, just wondering if it could be true or just that a
> rumor? This person is quite reputable and accurate in the rumor
> department.

The last time I used it there was a statement asking for donations,
not a charge...yet.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Stu wrote:
> > I got an email from an acquaintance with something strange info in it,
> > seems Wikipedia may be in the process to start charging for their
> > service.

> The last time I used it there was a statement asking for donations,
> not a charge...yet.

Since Stu didn't give us any details, it's pretty hard to figure out
what was meant.

I was hoping someone else would mention the following piece of
information, since I know so little:

http://nokiaexperts.com/att-subscrip...es-nokia-e71x/

I bought a new cell phone last January. It came with a free GPS
application for 30 days, which cost US$15 a month. It was a Nokia
phone, which included a GPS for free, but AT&T had them hack the
hardware so it wouldn't work without some AT&T application, which is
US$5 a month. You are required to get unlimited data to use this, which
is the other US$15 a month for a phone with a numeric keypad.

In checking out what was on the phone, it had an app called WIKIMOBILE
encyclopedia. It was free for a day, and I think I tried it. The above
cite says US$3.99 a month after the free trail. It's just an access
method for Wikipedia. The phone could easily be configured to access
Wikipedia from a menu using its browser, although I didn't do that.

A few days after I bought the phone, I had a gall bladder attack and
went to the hospital for a week. I felt like crap for some time after
that. The GPS worked OK, but I didn't really need it. I have a US$99
GPS unit from Costco in my car which works better and has no monthly
charge. I didn't really need the unlimited data. Doing web searches
and Email from the phone worked fine, but I really didn't want to deal
with inputting info using a numeric keypad. I'm retired and stay home
all the time anyway. I just needed a phone. So I canceled the GPS and
data plan.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA