Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Freezer-to-grill method for steaks

A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.

Anybody know about this, or tried it?

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw > wrote:

>A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
>pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
>photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
>photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
>to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
>
>Anybody know about this, or tried it?

I have been hearing about this. It makes no sense to me; I let a
steak come fully up to room temperature before cooking it, believing
that gives the most uniform result.

But I haven't tried it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:41 -0800, isw > wrote:

> A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
> pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
> photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
> photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
> to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
>
> Anybody know about this, or tried it?

I've done it and absolutely love that method except I cook them
quicker. I get the deep char I love on the exterior with the nice red
interior I love too. Haven't convinced hubby it's the only way to go
though.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

isw wrote:

> A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
> pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
> photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
> photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
> to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
>
> Anybody know about this, or tried it?

I've tried it and decided it's more work for about the same result.

There's a spectrum going all the way from hot searing through crockpot
slow cooking and there are working methods all the way along that
spectrum. What you're used to ends up less work - I think that's the
biggest difference once you've learned the details of your chosen method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:41 -0800, isw > wrote:

>A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
>pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
>photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
>photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
>to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
>
>Anybody know about this, or tried it?
>
>Isaac

I buy in bulk and vac pack meats for the freezer so I broil or grill
frozen beef steaks and shoulder lamb chops all the time. I do not use
a slow grill, either.

What I do not like is defrosting meats before cooking them. Too much
forethought needed for the meal. I do not like to leave defrosting
meat at room temp and I think microwave defrosting changes taste and
texture. Just my 2 cents.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:41 -0800, isw > wrote:
>
>>A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
>>pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
>>photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
>>photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
>>to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
>>
>>Anybody know about this, or tried it?
>>
>>Isaac

> I buy in bulk and vac pack meats for the freezer so I broil or grill
> frozen beef steaks and shoulder lamb chops all the time. I do not use
> a slow grill, either.
>
> What I do not like is defrosting meats before cooking them. Too much
> forethought needed for the meal. I do not like to leave defrosting
> meat at room temp and I think microwave defrosting changes taste and
> texture. Just my 2 cents.
>
> Boron

No need to microwave defrost. It half-cooks the food.

It's well known that well wrapped meats plunged in cold (water defrost
fairly quickly. I use this method all the time when I can't decide until
the last minute what I want to cook. It only takes about an hour (depending
upon what you're going to cook... a roast might take longer). Recently I
saw Alton Brown trickling water over a frozen turkey to thaw it. Me, I
wouldn't want to pay the water bill But cold water defrosting is the way
to go.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 5:35*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:39:41 -0800, isw > wrote:
> >A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
> >pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
> >photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
> >photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
> >to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.

> >Anybody know about this, or tried it?

> >Isaac

> I buy in bulk and vac pack meats for the freezer so I broil or grill
> frozen beef steaks and shoulder lamb chops all the time. *I do not use
> a slow grill, either.
>
> What I do not like is defrosting meats before cooking them. Too much
> forethought needed for the meal. *I do not like to leave defrosting
> meat at room temp and I think microwave defrosting changes taste and
> texture. Just my 2 cents.
>
> Boron

I do the same as sf and Boron. Right from the freezer, which the meat
has been frozen in a vacuum sealed bag, to a blazing hot charcoal
grill. If I want a steak, or a pork chop for that matter, that night
for supper I don't want to be bemoaning the fact I didn't take either
one out of the freezer the previous day to thaw in the 'frig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:35:07 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> What I do not like is defrosting meats before cooking them. Too much
> forethought needed for the meal.

I totally agree.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> isw > wrote:
>
> >A friend of mine swears by it -- take the steaks out of the freezer and
> >pop them on a slow grill for about 25 minutes. Sounds a bit odd, but the
> >photo he just sent me sure is a good ad for the method. The steak in the
> >photo was rare, and the uniform pink color extended nearly all the way
> >to the brown and crusty exterior. Yum.
> >
> >Anybody know about this, or tried it?

> I have been hearing about this. It makes no sense to me; I let a
> steak come fully up to room temperature before cooking it, believing
> that gives the most uniform result.
>
> But I haven't tried it.

Neither have I, but my friend swears by it (and I saw the photo).

From a heat-transfer standpoint, I can make sense of it, but I'm just
not up to doing the numbers any more (prolly could have when I was in
college, majoring in physics, but that was long ago...).

Anyhow, think about the "heat" coming in from the outside, meeting the
"cold" coming out from the middle. Since the meat is mostly water, the
heat of fusion (melting) would hold the temperature constant for a
while. You could imagine the heat and cold sort of "competing" with the
result that most of the interior of the steak would reach equilibrium at
some temperature. AND, IF, the meat happened to be just the proper
thickness for whatever heat setting you were using, that equilibrium
could be about 130 F -- just right.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 16, 10:17 pm, isw > wrote:

> From a heat-transfer standpoint, I can make sense of it, but I'm just
> not up to doing the numbers any more (prolly could have when I was in
> college, majoring in physics, but that was long ago...).

Can a piece of frozen meat be cooked? Sure, given the appropriate
temperature and time, which trial and error will answer. But frozen
meat unquestionably loses texture, which I think is one of the
pleasures of eating steak. So I don't freeze a good steak in the
first place, and if I have to then I will defrost it as slowly as
possible before cooking it, in an attempt to minimize the texture
degradation. Thawing it in the process of cooking it would seem to me
to maximize the textural loss. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:18:12 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

> Thawing it in the process of cooking it would seem to me
> to maximize the textural loss.

Maybe that's the theory, but the reality is that it retains moisture
and is therefore juicier.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Nov 16, 10:17 pm, isw > wrote:
> >
> > From a heat-transfer standpoint, I can make sense of it, but I'm just
> > not up to doing the numbers any more (prolly could have when I was in
> > college, majoring in physics, but that was long ago...).

> Can a piece of frozen meat be cooked? Sure, given the appropriate
> temperature and time, which trial and error will answer. But frozen
> meat unquestionably loses texture, which I think is one of the
> pleasures of eating steak. So I don't freeze a good steak in the
> first place, and if I have to then I will defrost it as slowly as
> possible before cooking it, in an attempt to minimize the texture
> degradation. Thawing it in the process of cooking it would seem to me
> to maximize the textural loss.

I agree about the freezing part -- I can't recall the last time I froze
(or purchased frozen) raw beef. But, once it's frozen (maybe an
emergency made you cancel that nice dinner and toss the meat in the
freezer), it makes sense to make the best of the situation.

I can't see why the rate of thawing would greatly affect the final
texture of the meat (not talking about nuking something to thaw it; I
know why that doesn't work).

For fresh steaks, my preferred cooking technique is to let the meat come
to room temperature, or warmer, if possible. I'll put them (on butcher
paper) on top of the stove if I'm baking potatoes, for example, or on
the closed grill lid while it heats. Whether pan-searing (which I do
mostly) or grilling, I've found that the warmer the meat prior to the
final cooking, the better the result.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2010 6:59 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On Wed 17 Nov 2010 01:17:49a, isw wrote in rec.food.cooking
> ]>:

>>> I have been hearing about this. It makes no sense to me; I let
>>> a steak come fully up to room temperature before cooking it,
>>> believing that gives the most uniform result.
>>>
>>> But I haven't tried it.

>> Neither have I, but my friend swears by it (and I saw the
>> photo).

> I grew up with beef being cooked from frozen. Steaks were done on
> the grill frozen and always turned out great. And my mom used to
> cut rump roasts into steaks to grill. She always cooked a roast
> from frozen, too. I don't do that, but when I brought over 2 roasts
> for her bday to cook and asked her how long I should allow to cook
> them, she said 2 hours. LOL Well, that works for frozen, but not
> thawed. We just used a themometer to get to 102F and let it sit
> and it was perfect. Took just about an hour at 350F.

We are up in the Hill Country camping for the weekend. The steak for
dinner was still frozen but DH put it on the portable gas grill anyway
and it came out great.

--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20 Nov 2010 00:59:11 GMT, Cheryl > wrote:

> We just used a themometer to get to 102F and let it sit
> and it was perfect. Took just about an hour at 350F.

How many pounds was the roast?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
>Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> We just used a themometer to get to 102F and let it sit
>> and it was perfect.

102ºF... a little fever there.

>How many pounds was the roast?

You'd have to weigh Cheryl's hot ass.