Old 23-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Ol' Hippie

Default Carbs sugar & BBQ sauce

First this IS not a plug for my BBQ sauce wont even give you it's name BUT I
am trying to create a low carb BBQ sauce (there will be some carbs due to
the Tomatoes) Sugar is a carb and after doing a lot of research and testing
Splenda seems to work the best.
At events I find a large portion of people who won't or can't sample my
sauce because it has so much sugar in it Molasses, Honey, brown sugar.
My test recipes turn out quite acceptable, no funny aftertaste, but there is
no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular sauce and I miss
the flavor of the Molasses.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses without
adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not add artificial
flavorings.
Thanks
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Old 23-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Hahabogus

"Ol' Hippie" wrote in
:

First this IS not a plug for my BBQ sauce wont even give you it's name
BUT I am trying to create a low carb BBQ sauce (there will be some
carbs due to the Tomatoes) Sugar is a carb and after doing a lot of
research and testing Splenda seems to work the best.
At events I find a large portion of people who won't or can't sample
my
sauce because it has so much sugar in it Molasses, Honey, brown sugar.
My test recipes turn out quite acceptable, no funny aftertaste, but
there is no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular
sauce and I miss the flavor of the Molasses.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses
without adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not
add artificial flavorings.
Thanks
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Why are you trying to make a copy of an existing sauce? Why not branch out
to a different style say a apple BBQ, a Chipotle sauce or a roasted garlic
style sauce...I mean something that tastes good but not your standard
everybody makes molasses type sauce.

Not a

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jenny's Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By :Jenny the Bean (asdlc), modified slightly by Damsel
Serving Size : 27 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : condiments

2 tablespoons Splenda® granular -- (18 drops liquid)
1 dash cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum -- optional
1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
15 ounces tomato sauce -- plain
6 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 tablespoon Frank's Hot Sauce
3/4 tablespoon salt -- optional
1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring

Place Splenda and cayenne pepper into a medium sauce pan. Add xanthan gum,
if you choose to thicken the sauce. Blend mustard into dry ingredients.
Slowly blend in the tomato sauce. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.

Bring to a boil, then lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool,
then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still
hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce
is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.

Source:
""http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/""
Yield:
"1 2/3 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 8 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (6% calories from fat);
trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Cholesterol; 301mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement.
It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making
more.

But more of a

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Apple Bbq Sauce

none

1 cup catsup or hienz chili sauce
1/4 cup apple juice/cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/3 cup grated, peeled apple
1/4 cup grated onion
2 teaspoon grated green pepper

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Rub meat with 1 T
pepper, 1 T paprika, 2 t chili powder, 1/2 t celery salt, 1/2 t
ground red pepper and 1/4 t dry mustard before cooking. Baste with
1/2 c apple juice while cooking. Add sauce last 15 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

Starchless in Manitoba.
Old 23-10-2004, 05:26 PM
The Joneses

Ol' Hippie wrote:

First this IS not a plug for my BBQ sauce wont even give you it's name BUT I
am trying to create a low carb BBQ sauce (there will be some carbs due to
the Tomatoes) Sugar is a carb and after doing a lot of research and testing
Splenda seems to work the best.
At events I find a large portion of people who won't or can't sample my
sauce because it has so much sugar in it Molasses, Honey, brown sugar.
My test recipes turn out quite acceptable, no funny aftertaste, but there is
no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular sauce and I miss
the flavor of the Molasses.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses without
adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not add artificial
flavorings.
Thanks
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Seems like I remember a soup recipe where one "carmelized" onions - sauteing
them slowly? That might be a start. Y'all didn't say out loud what else was in
the sauce. I also just remembered ol' Alton Brown carmelizing various veggies
in the oven, including tomatoes, carrots, celery? and something else. Dunno if
this helps at all.
Edrena

Old 23-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Saerah

Ol' Hippie wrote in message ...
[...]

splenda is an artificial flavoring.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

"The night is full of holes
There's bullets ripping sky
Of ink, with gold
They twinkle as the boys
Play rock and roll
They know that they can't dance
At least they know"
-U2

Old 23-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Saerah

The Joneses wrote in message ...
Ol' Hippie wrote:

[...]

don't onions have alot of sugar?

Old 23-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Katra

"Ol' Hippie" wrote:

First this IS not a plug for my BBQ sauce wont even give you it's name BUT I
am trying to create a low carb BBQ sauce (there will be some carbs due to
the Tomatoes) Sugar is a carb and after doing a lot of research and testing
Splenda seems to work the best.
At events I find a large portion of people who won't or can't sample my
sauce because it has so much sugar in it Molasses, Honey, brown sugar.
My test recipes turn out quite acceptable, no funny aftertaste, but there is
no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular sauce and I miss
the flavor of the Molasses.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses without
adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not add artificial
flavorings.
Thanks
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Sun Dried Tomatoes can add a carmelized flavor, especially if you roast
them. Onions cooked long enough if Olive Oil also tend to carmelize.
Roast chiles also.

Hope this helps?

K. (a low carber.....)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 23-10-2004, 07:08 PM
notbob

On 2004-10-23, Saerah wrote:

splenda is an artificial flavoring.

....and what flavor would that be?

nb
Old 23-10-2004, 07:08 PM
notbob

Old 23-10-2004, 07:10 PM
notbob

On 2004-10-23, Ol' Hippie wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses without
adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not add artificial
flavorings.

You might look at blackstrap molasses. It's got all the molasses
requirements, but little, if any, sweetness.

nb
Old 23-10-2004, 07:10 PM
notbob

Old 23-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Dawn

Ol' Hippie wrote:

but there is
no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular sauce and I miss
the flavor of the Molasses.

That's because you're leaving out the sugar. Sugars are what darkens
when you caramelize.

You'll get some caramelization out of the tomatoes, and from other
vegetables you might wish to add, if you want to add color naturally.

Molasses has a fairly unique flavor, I can't think of a substitute for
the taste of it.

Dawn

Old 23-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Serendipity

Ol' Hippie wrote:

First this IS not a plug for my BBQ sauce wont even give you it's name BUT I
am trying to create a low carb BBQ sauce (there will be some carbs due to
the Tomatoes) Sugar is a carb and after doing a lot of research and testing
Splenda seems to work the best.
At events I find a large portion of people who won't or can't sample my
sauce because it has so much sugar in it Molasses, Honey, brown sugar.
My test recipes turn out quite acceptable, no funny aftertaste, but there is
no "darkening" (carmilazation) that I like in my regular sauce and I miss
the flavor of the Molasses.
Does anyone have any suggestions to add the flavor of the Molasses without
adding Molasses? Sounds impossible to me actually. I will not add artificial
flavorings.
Thanks
Bruce-n-Gold Beach

Have you tried roasting the tomatoes? I find roasting gives a much
nicer flavour to sauces.

--
Think beyond your assumptions.