Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default English the funniest language

We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...niest-language
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:
> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>
> Visit for more
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...niest-language

How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
English evolved from Germanic languages.
It is fascinating to read about some of the evolution. It is near
impossible with anyone with a Doctorate in languages to read old English.
How about Russian etc with the extra characters in the alphabet.
We studied that in elementary school but don't remember a thing about it.
We can't even pronounce the sounds.
how about Korean etc. Zeesh. I have relatives that to listen to them
speak of sing some of the dialects is nerve wrecking because I can't
understand or get into the rhythm of it.
Swedish, or how about the dialects of the Pygmies? Can you begin to
understand how to speak with clicks and other sounds we might not be
able to make now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 8:53*pm, Lil Abner > wrote:
> On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
> > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

> > Visit for more

> >http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
> English evolved from Germanic languages.
> It is fascinating to read about some of the evolution. It is near
> impossible with anyone with a Doctorate in languages to read old English.
> How about Russian etc with the extra characters in the alphabet.
> We studied that in elementary school but don't remember a thing about it.
> We can't even pronounce the sounds.
> how about Korean etc. Zeesh. I have relatives that to listen to them
> speak of sing some of the dialects is nerve wrecking because I can't
> understand or get into the rhythm of it.
> Swedish, or how about the dialects of the Pygmies? Can you begin to
> understand how to speak with clicks and other sounds we might not be
> able to make now.

==
My one grandmother came from Norway and when she wrote letters to my
mom she wrote like she spoke. As kids, we thought it was quite neat. I
"tink" so.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:15:04 -0800 (PST), learnspeakingenglish
wrote:

> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

And I had shrimpen for dinner. Or is that shrimpes.

ObFood: I just made sugar cookies with Heath toffee chips on top.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 10:15*pm, learnspeakingenglish
> wrote:
> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>
> Visit for more
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
> > wrote:
>
>>We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>>
>>But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>>
>>Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

The sewer sat in the sewer, the bass swam around the bass drum, i read
and i have read about heteronyms.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
> > wrote:
>> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>>
>> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>>
>> Visit for more
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Just to catch you out.... <eg>
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 10:53*pm, Lil Abner > wrote:
> On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
> > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

> > Visit for more

> >http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
> English evolved from Germanic languages.
> It is fascinating to read about some of the evolution. It is near
> impossible with anyone with a Doctorate in languages to read old English.
> How about Russian etc with the extra characters in the alphabet.
> We studied that in elementary school but don't remember a thing about it.
> We can't even pronounce the sounds.
> how about Korean etc. Zeesh. I have relatives that to listen to them
> speak of sing some of the dialects is nerve wrecking because I can't
> understand or get into the rhythm of it.
> Swedish, or how about the dialects of the Pygmies? Can you begin to
> understand how to speak with clicks and other sounds we might not be
> able to make now.

The German word for potato is Kartoffel. However in my German dialect
potatoes are referred to as: Erd Aepffel. Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
way we pronounce it) = Appels.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_7_] View Post
wrote:
We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

Visit for more

http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Just to catch you out.... eg
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but you can bet it's some chemical.

By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We got a lot of syntax to figure out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose In Love" schrieb :
> On Nov 14, 10:53 pm, Lil Abner > wrote:
>> On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:> We will begin with
>> BOX and the plural is BOXES.

>> > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

>> > Visit for more

>> How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
>> English evolved from Germanic languages.

> The German word for potato is Kartoffel. However in my German dialect
> potatoes are referred to as: Erd Aepffel. Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
> way we pronounce it) = Appels.

Erdapfel. Erdaepfel is the plural.
Tomato = Paradeiser (apple from paradise).

Servus,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:15:04 -0800 (PST), learnspeakingenglish
> wrote:

>We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>
>But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

And the plural of YOU is not Y'ALL, it's YOOSE.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 1:12*am, " > wrote:
> On Nov 14, 10:15*pm, learnspeakingenglish
>
> > wrote:
> > We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

> > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

> > Visit for more

> >http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
> tough don't all rhyme? *What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

And don't forget trough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, " > wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

>> > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

>> > Visit for more

>> >http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

> And don't forget trough.

Indeed... <g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, " > wrote:
>>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish

>>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

>> And don't forget trough.

> Indeed... <g>

Or overlook through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gorio" schrieb :

> 'Ophelia[_7_ Wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
>> wrote:-
>> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>>
>> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>>
>> Visit for more
>>
>> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-funniest-...-
>>
>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?-
>>
>> Just to catch you out.... eg
>> --
>> --
>> https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
> you can bet it's some chemical.
>
> By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
> got a lot of syntax to figure out.

"English doesn't borrow from other languages.
English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over,
and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."
(Mark Twain ?)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:12:40 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

Tomb and womb rhyme.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 07:08:48 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 1:12*am, " > wrote:
> > On Nov 14, 10:15*pm, learnspeakingenglish
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

> > > But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

> > > Visit for more

> > >http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

> > What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
> > tough don't all rhyme? *What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

> And don't forget trough.

plus tough and cough

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:27:22 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
>> > wrote:
>>> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>>>
>>> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>>>
>>> Visit for more
>>>
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

> Just to catch you out.... <eg>
> --

when you're the top dog in the language department you can do any ****ing
thing you want.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:32:07 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:12:40 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>> What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

>Tomb and womb rhyme.

And for you they're synonymous. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:44:04 +0100, Michael Kuettner wrote:

> "Gorio" schrieb :
>>

>> English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
>> you can bet it's some chemical.
>>
>> By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
>> got a lot of syntax to figure out.
>>

> "English doesn't borrow from other languages.
> English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over,
> and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."
> (Mark Twain ?)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

according to wikipedia:

"The Purity of the English Language"

In 1990, in the Usenet group rec.arts.sf-lovers, Nicoll wrote the following
epigram on the English language:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_D._Nicoll>

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:27:22 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish

>>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

>> Just to catch you out.... <eg>
>> --

> when you're the top dog in the language department you can do any ****ing
> thing you want.

roflmaoooooooo

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 15/11/2010 15:40, Michael Kuettner ha scritto:

>> The German word for potato is Kartoffel. However in my German dialect
>> potatoes are referred to as: Erd Aepffel. Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
>> way we pronounce it) = Appels.

> Erdapfel. Erdaepfel is the plural.

Very similar to the dutch "aardappel"

> Tomato = Paradeiser (apple from paradise).

Here it is pomodoro, from pomo d'oro: golden apple
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 7:44*am, "Michael Kuettner" >
wrote:
> "Gorio" schrieb :
>

> > 'Ophelia[_7_ Wrote:
> >> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
> >> wrote:-
> >> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

> >> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

> >> Visit for more

> >>http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-....

> >> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
> >> tough don't all rhyme? *What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?-

> >> Just to catch you out.... eg
> >> --
> >> --
> >>https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> > English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
> > you can bet it's some chemical.

> > By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
> > got a lot of syntax to figure out.

> "English doesn't borrow from other languages.
> English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over,
> and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."
> (Mark Twain ?)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner- Hide quoted text -

LOL!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 15/11/2010 14:06, Gorio ha scritto:

> English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
> you can bet it's some chemical.
>
> By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
> got a lot of syntax to figure out.

True, but one ha salso to check which words are used and which aren't.
The Oxford English Dictionary lists circa 1 million words, but the
Random House Current English Dictionary lists about 350,000.
I'd like to have the same figures for italian, though.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, " > wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.
>>> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.
>>> Visit for more
>>> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

> And don't forget trough.

And enough.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 3:40*am, "Michael Kuettner" >
wrote:
> "A Moose In Love" schrieb :
> > On Nov 14, 10:53 pm, Lil Abner > wrote:
> >> On 11/14/2010 10:15 PM, learnspeakingenglish wrote:
> >> BOX and the plural is BOXES.

A late northern Old English or Middle English plural in -s and a
traditional Old English weak plural in -n. And MEN/MEN is an example
of a traditional Old English strong plural. All this will be familiar
to German-speakers, speaking of whom. . . .

> >> How about French where Potatoes are apples of or from the earth.
> >> English evolved from Germanic languages.

> > The German word for potato is Kartoffel. *However in my German dialect
> > potatoes are referred to as: *Erd Aepffel. *Erd = Earth, Aepfell(the
> > way we pronounce it) = Appels.

> Erdapfel. Erdaepfel is the plural.

Ah, yes. My Berlin-learned German raised some eyebrows in Vienna.

And speaking of potatoes, the English name, too, is peculiar beause it
comes from the Taino word for the sweet potato, "batata". Somehow the
vegetables became confused - did sweet potatoes, being from the
Caribbean, get to Europe before the Andean potato? I wonder what our
word for a potato would be if it had been derived from the Qechua word
for the vegetable.

Here in Polynesia the sweet potato is the "kumara", also derived from
some American language.

LW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

>True, but one ha salso to check which words are used and which aren't.
>The Oxford English Dictionary lists circa 1 million words, but the
>Random House Current English Dictionary lists about 350,000.
>I'd like to have the same figures for italian, though.

Italian has maybe forty spoken words...
and more than 350,000 gesticulations. lol

Italian dictionary:
http://www.alternative-dictionaries....onary/Italian/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 15/11/2010 22:39, Brooklyn1 ha scritto:

>> True, but one ha salso to check which words are used and which aren't.
>> The Oxford English Dictionary lists circa 1 million words, but the
>> Random House Current English Dictionary lists about 350,000.
>> I'd like to have the same figures for italian, though.

> Italian has maybe forty spoken words...
> and more than 350,000 gesticulations. lol
>
> Italian dictionary:
> http://www.alternative-dictionaries....onary/Italian/

LOL
Jokes apart, you americans have a kind of gesticulation too, and it's
really strange for us italians as our gesticulation is strange for you
there.
Take the quotation marks gesture, for example. Nobody would ever do that
in Italy, it sounds geeky and childish here. Who knows?
Anyway, I'm now greeting you the world famous umbrella gesture, and if
you're grown up in a guido populated place you should know what I mean.
This shows it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XI8sE_56UU
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
So che faccio il tuo gioco rispondendo a questo post
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:

> Jokes apart, you americans have a kind of gesticulation too, and it's
> really strange for us italians as our gesticulation is strange for you
> there. Take the quotation marks gesture, for example. Nobody would ever do that
> in Italy, it sounds geeky and childish here.

In my experience people ehre don't do it nearly as much as they used to
for the same reason.

Who knows?
> Anyway, I'm now greeting you the world famous umbrella gesture, and if
> you're grown up in a guido populated place you should know what I mean.
> This shows it well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XI8sE_56UU

I used to see it often when we lived in a very Italian area of Rhode
Island but as I recall it had NOTHING to do with an umbrella. I always
thought of it as an overly dramatic rendering of the middle finger
gesture for men who were exaggerating their genital proportions.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/11/2010 2:08 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, > wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> We will begin with BOX and the plural is BOXES.

>>> But the plural OX should be OXEN and not OXES.

>>> Visit for more

>>> http://sites.google.com/site/easyeng...-the-funniest-...

>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

> And don't forget trough.

And here was I thinking that "trough" was the Irish version of
"through"! ;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/11/2010 3:33 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 07:08:48 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, > wrote:
>>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish

>>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

>> And don't forget trough.

> plus tough and cough

No they don't! Subtly different pronunciation!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/11/2010 4:39 AM, ViLco wrote:
> Il 15/11/2010 14:06, Gorio ha scritto:
>
>> English just added it's one millionth word. I don't know what it is; but
>> you can bet it's some chemical.
>>
>> By comparison, Italian has 250-350,000, Mandarin Chinese, 500,000. We
>> got a lot of syntax to figure out.

> True, but one ha salso to check which words are used and which aren't.
> The Oxford English Dictionary lists circa 1 million words, but the
> Random House Current English Dictionary lists about 350,000.
> I'd like to have the same figures for italian, though.

The words one uses is dependent upon the socioeconomic group one inhabits.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16/11/2010 5:16 AM, gloria.p wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> On Nov 15, 1:12 am, " > wrote:
>>> On Nov 14, 10:15 pm, learnspeakingenglish

>>> What I'd like to know is how come bough, cough, dough, rough, and
>>> tough don't all rhyme? What about bomb, comb, tomb, and womb?

>> And don't forget trough.

> And enough.
>
> gloria p

American spelling

trough = troff
through = thru
tough = tuff
cough = coff
enough = enuff

;-)

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis > wrote in
u:

> On 16/11/2010 5:16 AM, gloria.p wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:

funniest-

>>> And don't forget trough.

>> And enough.
>>
>> gloria p

> American spelling
>
> trough = troff
> through = thru
> tough = tuff
> cough = coff
> enough = enuff
>
> ;-)
>
> Krypsis

Aussie slang..... 'Koff.....

as in far koff :-)

And let's not talk about router ('Merican version = rooter)

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."

Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to teach ESL in Chicago adults from everywhere. I had too tell
them that spelling and pronunciation rules would only get them so
far. Some words (and you can't predict which ones) just have to be
learned by rote. Of course it helps if you know what language it came
from.

Yes, a very goofy and rich language.