Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade corn tortillas

Hot off the comal, the fragrance of a fresh hot corn tortilla wafting
around you, enticing you into taking that first bite of tortilla
heaven.
Sounds corny I know, but were talking corn tortillas, a little piece
of heaven in your hand.

I made these to go with the albondigas soup.

Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...tortillas.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/32brbcb

No point in posting the recipe that's on the bag of masa you need to
buy anyway.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 11/13/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko > wrote:
> Hot off the comal, the fragrance of a fresh hot corn tortilla wafting
> around you, enticing you into taking that first bite of tortilla
> heaven.
> Sounds corny I know, but were talking corn tortillas, a little piece
> of heaven in your hand.
>
> I made these to go with the albondigas soup.
>
> Step by step and photos on my blog if you are interested.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...tortillas.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/32brbcb
>
> No point in posting the recipe that's on the bag of masa you need to
> buy anyway.
>
> koko
> --
>
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
> updated 11/13/10
> Watkins natural spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

Using a bag of Masa is probably the easiest way to make corn tortillas.
I tend to add some whole kernel corn to my tortillas that are made from
masa. It seems to add a litlle extra flavor.

Someday I will try and make tortillas from nixtamal or directly from
dent corn for making a great corn tortilla.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 04:07:28 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:

> Using a bag of Masa is probably the easiest way to make corn tortillas.
> I tend to add some whole kernel corn to my tortillas that are made from
> masa. It seems to add a litlle extra flavor.

How do you integrate the corn kernels into the fine maseca?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 04:07:28 +0000 (UTC), Dan L wrote:
>
>> Using a bag of Masa is probably the easiest way to make corn
> > tortillas.
>> I tend to add some whole kernel corn to my tortillas that are made
> > from
>> masa. It seems to add a litlle extra flavor.

> How do you integrate the corn kernels into the fine maseca?
>
> -sw

I use a food processor with the dough blade. I add a 1/3 cup of corn to
it.
One does not need a food processor. Just make the dough first like on
the bag, then create a hole in the dough add corn, mix it in by hand. I
got the idea from the Victory Garden Show on PBS a few years ago.

I see others cut up a plastic bag for use on the press. I use parchment
paper. Lower cost and works just as good, in my opinion.

I often play around with the dough by adding different spices. None of
them much better than extra corn. For me homemade tortilla only taste
good the day they are made. The next day I fry, bake or toss the extras
in the garbage can.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"koko" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Hot off the comal, the fragrance of a fresh hot corn tortilla wafting>
> around you, enticing you into taking that first bite of tortilla> heaven.
> Sounds corny I know, but were talking corn tortillas, a little piece> of
> heaven in your hand.

They truly are splendid, but because I was born and reared in Maine, I had
no idea. Then I discovered you couldn't buy them here, only some bad flour
tortillas, so I asked my Texas friends to bring me a press and some masa. I
almost fainted at how delicious they are. No purchased tortilla or
restaurant tortilla measured up, not even Taco Ricco, where somebodies
grannies hand make fat ones.