Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegetarian guest at Thanksgiving

We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.

I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,

Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
Stuffed acorn squash
Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
Broccoli

Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate

Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
about here)

Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
to be reheated.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 9:55*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. *DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. *(I suggested
> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. *What
> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? *I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
> to be reheated.
>
> Bob

Maybe something here?

http://www.worthingtonfoods.com/products.shtml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to
> be reheated.
>
> Bob

Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and knows
that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other arrangements for
her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some such creature)
there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not 'meat
related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to get the
family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member if the
others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter wouldn't
eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
dishes....she didn't go away starving.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Nov 3, 9:55 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
>> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
>> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
>> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>
>> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>> Stuffed acorn squash
>> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>> Broccoli
>>
>> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>
>> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>> about here)
>>
>> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
>> to be reheated.
>>
>> Bob

> Maybe something here?
>
> http://www.worthingtonfoods.com/products.shtml

I didn't really say that right (the mushroom thing.) Rather than fake
meat, I want to fix something that doesn't pretend to be meat but
tastes "meaty". A hearty vegetarian dish might be a better description.

I could make a cauliflower and potato curry, I eat that for supper
quite often myself, but it would clash with everything else on the table.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message ...
| We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
| traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
| that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
| for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
| has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
|
| I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
| menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
| should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
| just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
|
| Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
| Stuffed acorn squash
| Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
| Broccoli
|
| Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
|
| Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
| about here)
|
| Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
| to be reheated.
|
| Bob

If you have access to a Whole Foods they carry a lot of "faux-meaty-ish"
things (lovely terminology,) stuff from Tofurkey (yeah, tofu turkey, which
can taste pretty good as they use mushroom as the base for the gravy.
They also have other soy-derived meat substitutes, but the people at
Whole Foods or Trader Joe's know pretty much about them. Some reading:
http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdesc...ernatives.html

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
>> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
>> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
>> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
>> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
>> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
>> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>
>> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>> Stuffed acorn squash
>> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>> Broccoli
>>
>> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>
>> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>> about here)
>>
>> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to
>> be reheated.
>>
>> Bob

> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and knows
> that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other arrangements for
> her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some such creature)
> there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not 'meat
> related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to get the
> family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member if the
> others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter wouldn't
> eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
> -ginny

I agree with you. But she's going to an extraordinary effort to get
there, so I want to do something nice for her IF I can pull it off.

If I remember right, everything except the turkey will pretty much be
full of marshmallows or heavy cream sauce.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has
>> gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
>> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
>> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
>> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,

>> Bob

<snip good ideas>

> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and
> knows that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other
> arrangements for her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some
> such creature) there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not
> 'meat related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to
> get the family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member
> if the others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter
> wouldn't eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
> -ginny

Neither cruel nor bitchy, Ginny, just sensible. Maybe a special dish or two
for DD, but Bob sounds as if he's ready to offer a multi-course dinner.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
11/3/2010 in writing
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu but
> I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I offer to
> make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an austere vegetable
> plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking about
> here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to be
> reheated.
>
> Bob

In my home, we don't make special provisions for vegetarians. We
generally think they're stupid, but nevertheless, there's always bread
and vegegables and potatoes. Why do you need to do anything?

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
11/3/2010 in writing
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
>>> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
>>> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
>>> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>>
>>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
>>> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
>>> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
>>> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>>
>>> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>>> Stuffed acorn squash
>>> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>>> Broccoli
>>>
>>> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>>
>>> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>>> about here)
>>>
>>> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to
>>> be reheated.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and knows
>> that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other arrangements
>> for her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some such
>> creature) there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not 'meat
>> related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to get the
>> family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member if the
>> others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter
>> wouldn't eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
>> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
>> -ginny
>>

> I agree with you. But she's going to an extraordinary effort to get there,
> so I want to do something nice for her IF I can pull it off.
>
> If I remember right, everything except the turkey will pretty much be full of
> marshmallows or heavy cream sauce.
>
> Bob

Sound's like you're being guilted into doing something nice. You need
to learn to turn that around. Make her feel as if "family
get-togethers" are places she should be, if she can. Not the otherway
around.

--
Yours,
Dan S.
There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary and those who
can't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>>> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>>> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has
>>> gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>>
>>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
>>> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
>>> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
>>> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,

>>> Bob

> <snip good ideas>
>
>> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and
>> knows that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other
>> arrangements for her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some
>> such creature) there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not
>> 'meat related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to
>> get the family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member
>> if the others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter
>> wouldn't eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
>> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
>> -ginny

> Neither cruel nor bitchy, Ginny, just sensible. Maybe a special dish or two
> for DD, but Bob sounds as if he's ready to offer a multi-course dinner.
>
> Felice

I'm not planning on making everything on that list, and I don't want
to hijack the menu.

The more I think about it, I like the deviled eggs, cheese plate, and
some kind of steamed vegetables to to with all the heavy creamed stuff
that will be there idea.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:8jdifhF6duU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)

Tofurky?

--
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:55:39 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
>has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
>I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
>should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
>just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>
>Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>Stuffed acorn squash
>Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>Broccoli
>
>Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
>Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>about here)
>
>Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
>to be reheated.
>
>Bob

One year my son and his girlfriend were vegans and came for
Thanksgiving. They brought fake turkey. I made a separate dressing
using oil and vegetable broth instead of butter and chicken broth. I
think I did something to make some of the mashed potatoes acceptable
to them. Other than that most everything else was pretty much ok.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> On Nov 3, 9:55 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
>>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>>> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>>> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
>>> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>>
>>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>>> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
>>> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
>>> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>>
>>> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>>> Stuffed acorn squash
>>> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>>> Broccoli
>>>
>>> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>>
>>> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>>> about here)
>>>
>>> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
>>> to be reheated.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Maybe something here?
>>
>> http://www.worthingtonfoods.com/products.shtml

> I didn't really say that right (the mushroom thing.) Rather than fake
> meat, I want to fix something that doesn't pretend to be meat but tastes
> "meaty". A hearty vegetarian dish might be a better description.
>
> I could make a cauliflower and potato curry, I eat that for supper quite
> often myself, but it would clash with everything else on the table.
>
> Bob

I've posted this before. And yes, I've made it and eaten it. Wonderful
roasted vegetables! From La Cuchina:

Strisce Colorate (Rainbow Vegetables)

1 sweet yellow bell pepper
1 medium eggplant
4 plum tomatoes
1 sweet red bell pepper
2 zucchini squash
1 red onion
5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper

Seed the peppers and cut into thin strips. Peel the onion and cut into
rings. Cut the zucchini into thin slices lengthwise. Cut the eggplant in
half lengthwise; remove the seeds and then cut into thin strips. Skin the
tomatoes; cut in half, remove the seeds and slice into thin rounds.

Arrange vegetables in a shallow casserole, alternating colors across the
dish (i.e. onion, then eggplant, peppers, zucchini and tomatoes). Sprinkle
with salt & pepper. Drizzle olive oil over all.

Cover with foil and bake at 325 F for about 1 hour, until vegetables are
fairly dry and very tender (will appear wrinkled). May be served hot or
cold. Serves 4.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 3, 8:55 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. .... DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host.

You should be asking your question and collaborating with MIL. You
and the group here have no idea yet what she may want or not want to
do. Taking unasked-for food to someone else's dinner is always
chancy. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Nov 3, 8:55 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. .... DD
>> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host.

> You should be asking your question and collaborating with MIL. You
> and the group here have no idea yet what she may want or not want to
> do. Taking unasked-for food to someone else's dinner is always
> chancy. -aem

I will. But I want to have a gameplan. Thx.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC Vegetarian guest at Thanksgiving

>On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:55:39 -0500, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>>traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>>that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>>for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
>>has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>>I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>>menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
>>should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
>>just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>
>>Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>>Stuffed acorn squash
>>Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>>Broccoli
>>
>>Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>
>>Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>>about here)
>>
>>Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
>>to be reheated.
>>
>>Bob

Kasha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/11/2010 3:03 PM, aem wrote:
> On Nov 3, 8:55 am, > wrote:
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. .... DD
>> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host.

> You should be asking your question and collaborating with MIL. You
> and the group here have no idea yet what she may want or not want to
> do. Taking unasked-for food to someone else's dinner is always
> chancy.

Just thinking about my poor whipped brother. I don't have a lot to do
with him these days because I am fed up listening to him whining about
how no one ever lets him do things his way around his family. His DiL
is a vegetarian so their son had to become vegetarian too. The sone and
SiL come down every holiday long weekend, so his wife goes out and
stocks the fridge with vegetarian pseudofoods like veggie dogs and
veggie burgers. He whined to my son about how miserable this past
Thanksgiving was. He was served some sort of tofurkey. Of course there
was no gravy. As a major concession to him, his wife bought some sliced
turkey at the deli.

AFAIA vegetarians have little business attending a Thanksgiving dinner
and expecting special vegetarian dishes. It's Thanksgiving for
gawdsake. Turkey!!! gravy, stuffing.. It's a carnivorous feast. There
are lots of other holidays where vegetarian foods would be quite
appropriate, but for Thanksgiving they can have turkey, or they can
stick to the vegetable side dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.

I usually think of stuffing as dressing that was put in the bird to
cook and dressing as stuffing that was cooked outside of the bird.
It's easy to make a hearty vegitarian batch. Cook half of it outside
the bird to stay vegitarian dressing. Cook half of it inside the bird
to make it non-vegitarian stuffing.

Chances are the family won't even notice the stuffing is not meat based
unless your family tradition includes oyster or sausage stuffing. I
have made a sausage based stuffing and a chestnut based dressing when
cooking for a big group back when I was single. I'd made a vegitarian
dressing without any specific plan to have a vegitarian dish.

Chestnuts, walnuts or other nuts. Celery. Onions and/or leeks.
Assorted fresh herbs. Diced apples and/or pears. Cornbread or rice or
some gluten based bread. Some egg and vegitable broth to move the
texture partly towards a pudding. Maybe even some wine or sherry
instead of the broth. Bake it in a caserole dish and set it aside like
it's a spare to be used when the regular stuffing runs out, then point
the daughter to it.

You could even make a mushroom based vegitarian gravy as well. That's
easy. Shrooms, butter, garlic, white wine and a bit or arrow root or
corn starch. Easy peasy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)?

Bring a legume dish with you. BBQ baked beans. Use 3-4 types of dried
beans, a creative mix of powdered spices and add liquid smoke instead of
pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 12:55*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. *DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. *(I suggested
> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. *What
> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? *I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
> to be reheated.
>
> Bob

I'd play dumb and just be another guest. Let the host and hostess
deal with the situation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> If you have access to a Whole Foods they carry a lot of "faux-meaty-ish"
> things (lovely terminology,) stuff from Tofurkey (yeah, tofu turkey, which
> can taste pretty good as they use mushroom as the base for the gravy.
> They also have other soy-derived meat substitutes, but the people at
> Whole Foods or Trader Joe's know pretty much about them. Some reading:http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdesc...ernatives.html
>
> pavane

Anyone who says tofurkey (tofu turkey) around me causes me to recall
with great amusement, that wonderful Everybody Loves Raymond episode
where Marie made a Tofu Turkey instead of a real one. I think I have
it saved on a video tape somewhere....

For ZBob, portobello mushrooms make a great meat substitute - and you
can a great scalloped corn or even a cheese souffle as a side dish.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 12:30*pm, DanS. > wrote:
> zxcvbob added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
> 11/3/2010 in writing
>

> > Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> >> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and knows
> >> that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other arrangements
> >> for her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some such
> >> creature) there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not 'meat
> >> related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to get the
> >> family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member if the
> >> others aren't on board. *I have had the same dilemma here, daughter
> >> wouldn't eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
> >> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
> >> -ginny

> > I agree with you. *But she's going to an extraordinary effort to get there,
> > so I want to do something nice for her IF I can pull it off.

> > If I remember right, everything except the turkey will pretty much be full of
> > marshmallows or heavy cream sauce.

> > Bob

> Sound's like you're being guilted into doing something nice. *You need
> to learn to turn that around. *Make her feel as if "family
> get-togethers" are places she should be, if she can. *Not the otherway
> around.
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary and those who
> can't.- Hide quoted text -

I don't read anywhere that the daughter has asked for (let alone
demanded) anything. He just wants to do something nice! One of my
sisters is vegetarian, has been for years. She makes no demands at
holiday (or any other) dinners, but all of us make sure there is
plenty of food for her to choose from, because she's family, and we
love her. It's not like other people won't eat the vegetarian items
on the table.

In that spirit, I recommend the stuffed squash, if that's possible.
That way she gets dressing - and other people will like it, too. And
the deviled eggs, because who doesn't like those?

Michelle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia wrote on Wed, 3 Nov 2010 13:09:21 -0400:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last
>> minute. (I suggested that she go to *my* parents house
>> instead, which is only 50 miles away for her instead of 800+,
>> and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
>> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence
>> over the menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not
>> the host. What should I offer to make so DD can actually eat
>> a festive meal and not just an austere vegetable plate (with
>> marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>>
>> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>> Stuffed acorn squash
>> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed
>> potatoes) Broccoli
>>
>> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>>
>> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm
>> talking about here)
>>
>> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring
>> them along to be reheated.
>>
>> Bob

In the days when my daughter-in-law was vegetarian, she volunteered to
bring a Tofurkey and cook it. for my son and herself. It was offered
around to not very great enthusiasm but it really wasn't bad.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> Our vegetarian family members DEMAND mac & cheese

If someone DEMANDED that I cook a particular dish for Thanksgiving, theyd
find themselves unwelcome at my table. No matter, youre probably lying,
hoping that people will ask for your mac & cheese recipe so you can post it
on your vanity site.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> > "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> >> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> >> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
> >> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
> >> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
> >> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
> >>
> >> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
> >> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
> >> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
> >> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
> >>
> >> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> >> Stuffed acorn squash
> >> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> >> Broccoli
> >>
> >> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
> >>
> >> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> >> about here)
> >>
> >> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to
> >> be reheated.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and knows
> > that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other arrangements for
> > her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some such creature)
> > there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not 'meat
> > related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to get the
> > family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member if the
> > others aren't on board. I have had the same dilemma here, daughter wouldn't
> > eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
> > dishes....she didn't go away starving.
> > -ginny
> >

> I agree with you. But she's going to an extraordinary effort to get
> there, so I want to do something nice for her IF I can pull it off.
>
> If I remember right, everything except the turkey will pretty much be
> full of marshmallows or heavy cream sauce.
>
> Bob

Marshmallows aren't typically vegetarian (gelatin), so you may have a
problem there...

I can't even imagine a Thanksgiving (or any other) dinner with things
loaded with marshmallows. The thanksgiving dinners I host which receive
rave reviews and have people just about begging for invites don't
contain anything with marshmallows at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/11/2010 4:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> In the days when my daughter-in-law was vegetarian, she volunteered to
> bring a Tofurkey and cook it. for my son and herself. It was offered
> around to not very great enthusiasm but it really wasn't bad.

I was at a cookout a few years back and was hasseled for eating some of
the vegetarian food. The woman said that they were for the vegetarians,
not for the meat eaters. There was IMO, more than enough for the small
number of vegetarians int he crowd. The vegetarians were all staff, and
I was a paying customer. Besides, I don't eat that much meat. I do not
eat potatoes, corn or lettuce, so I figured the skewers of onion, pepper
and mushrooms were fair game.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested that
> she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
> instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
> vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to
> be reheated.

I was a vegetarian for many years. For Thanksgiving I ate mashed potatoes
(no gravy), raw veggies and green salad and some cheese and nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 03/11/2010 17:55, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,

You are a great dad, man, I really appreciate your enthusiasm about
cooking up something worth your love for your daughter. I'm sure you'll
feed her a very good holiday meal.
The only thing I could recommend you that comes to mind is the "riso
spinaci e grana" I posted about a month or two ago. It's just a bunch of
guidelines: cook the spinach in few water and finish them with butter
and put a lot of grated parmigiano cheese when you remove them from the
fire.Meanwhile, cook the rice and mix it all up and serve it with a nice
cheesecarrier ("formaggera", si cheese holder more correct?) loaded with
grated parmigiano. Creaminess, coming from the butter and the starch
from the rice, is the key to this very simple and rich dish, which
feigns to semm healthy thank to the spinach but kills you with the darn,
wonderful butter, LOL. Here it would get served as a first course, just
after antipasto, I think you can manage it well in family your meal. A
vegetarian who eats dairies could like it a bit, if not a lot.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> For ZBob, portobello mushrooms make a great meat substitute - and you
> can a great scalloped corn or even a cheese souffle as a side dish.

Our daughter was a vegetarian for eight years. She hates mushrooms.
She's not a vegetarian anymore, but she still hates mushrooms.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:55*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. *DD will be
> traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. *(I suggested
> that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
> for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
> has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
> menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. *What
> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? *I have some ideas,
>
> Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> Stuffed acorn squash
> Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> Broccoli
>
> Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
> Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> about here)
>
> Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
> to be reheated.
>
> Bob

==
Feed DD a huge plate of scrambled eggs and bacon-bits on the side.
Yams or mashed potatoes would go well with the eggs and some nice
buttered toast as well. Peas in a cream sauce would be really nice.
Cranberries will also go well with the combo. No problem...and IF this
is not what she expected or appreciated then just wave a nice bye bye
as she speeds away into the sunset.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michelle wrote:

> I don't read anywhere that the daughter has asked for (let alone
> demanded) anything. He just wants to do something nice! One of my
> sisters is vegetarian, has been for years. She makes no demands at
> holiday (or any other) dinners, but all of us make sure there is
> plenty of food for her to choose from, because she's family, and we
> love her. It's not like other people won't eat the vegetarian items
> on the table.
>
> In that spirit, I recommend the stuffed squash, if that's possible.
> That way she gets dressing - and other people will like it, too. And
> the deviled eggs, because who doesn't like those?
>
> Michelle

Thank-you. DD hasn't demanded anything. And she's being a good sport
about SWSRN demanding that she drive cross-country Wednesday night to
get there for Thanksgiving when she has classes on Wednesday and Monday.

If she had to skip any classes to pull it off, I was going to veto the
trip. But she says she can make it without missing any classes, so I'm
not gonna put up with all the unpleasantness it would cause to cancel
the trip without a better excuse than "it's stupid."

(Don't you love family politics?)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
> Il 03/11/2010 17:55, zxcvbob ha scritto:
>
>> I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu
>> but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What should I
>> offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an
>> austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,

> You are a great dad, man, I really appreciate your enthusiasm about
> cooking up something worth your love for your daughter. I'm sure you'll
> feed her a very good holiday meal.
> The only thing I could recommend you that comes to mind is the "riso
> spinaci e grana" I posted about a month or two ago. It's just a bunch of
> guidelines: cook the spinach in few water and finish them with butter
> and put a lot of grated parmigiano cheese when you remove them from the
> fire.Meanwhile, cook the rice and mix it all up and serve it with a nice
> cheesecarrier ("formaggera", si cheese holder more correct?) loaded with
> grated parmigiano. Creaminess, coming from the butter and the starch
> from the rice, is the key to this very simple and rich dish, which
> feigns to semm healthy thank to the spinach but kills you with the darn,
> wonderful butter, LOL. Here it would get served as a first course, just
> after antipasto, I think you can manage it well in family your meal. A
> vegetarian who eats dairies could like it a bit, if not a lot.

Thanks. I don't think I'll have that much control over the menu at
MIL's house, but I'm saving this (and all the other recipes posted)
for Christmas when *I* will be the host.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/11/2010 5:46 PM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>

>> For ZBob, portobello mushrooms make a great meat substitute - and you
>> can a great scalloped corn or even a cheese souffle as a side dish.

> Our daughter was a vegetarian for eight years. She hates mushrooms.
> She's not a vegetarian anymore, but she still hates mushrooms.

That reinforces comments I have made here about it being a fad diet.
From my experience, very few people raised with meat in their diet
stick to a vegetarian diet. That's part of the reason that I am not
interested in catering to them. You are all welcome to cater to your
vegetarian family and friends. Don't expect me to. If they come to a
turkey feast there is turkey and side dishes. They can eat the side
dishes. If you want meat, eat meat. If you don't want meat, don't look
to me for artificial meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Billy wrote:
>
>> Our vegetarian family members DEMAND mac & cheese

> If someone DEMANDED that I cook a particular dish for Thanksgiving, they'd
> find themselves unwelcome at my table. No matter, you're probably lying,
> hoping that people will ask for your mac & cheese recipe so you can post
> it on your vanity site.
>
> Bob

Now who would ask for anyone else's McCheese recipe? Doesn't each of us have
the best -- Mom's?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. DD will be
>traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. (I suggested
>that she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away
>for her instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD
>has gone vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.
>
>I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the
>menu but I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. What
>should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
>just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)? I have some ideas,
>
>Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
>Stuffed acorn squash
>Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
>Broccoli
>
>Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate
>
>Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
>about here)
>
>Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along
>to be reheated.

stuffed mushrooms
breaded eggplant slices -- I think they would be good with gravy
Nigella Lawson makes a pretty mushroom and potato gratin
stuffed celery with the devilled eggs

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> What
> should I offer to make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not
> just an austere vegetable plate (with marshmallows)?

How about Imam bayildi, ratatouille, or caponata?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 18:05:41 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> Billy wrote:
>>
>>> Our vegetarian family members DEMAND mac & cheese

>> If someone DEMANDED that I cook a particular dish for Thanksgiving, they'd
>> find themselves unwelcome at my table. No matter, you're probably lying,
>> hoping that people will ask for your mac & cheese recipe so you can post
>> it on your vanity site.
>>
>> Bob

>Now who would ask for anyone else's McCheese recipe? Doesn't each of us have
>the best -- Mom's?

My mom used the blue box. I never had the real thing until I started
cooking.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:27*am, DanS. > wrote:
> zxcvbob added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
> 11/3/2010 in writing
>

> > We are converging at MIL's house for T'giving this year. *DD will be
> > traveling quite a ways and arriving at the last minute. *(I suggested that
> > she go to *my* parents house instead, which is only 50 miles away for her
> > instead of 800+, and Wife nearly had a hissy fit. Anyway.) DD has gone
> > vegetarian but she still eats eggs and dairy.

> > I will get there early enough to maybe have some influence over the menu but
> > I won't be running the show because I'm not the host. *What should I offer to
> > make so DD can actually eat a festive meal and not just an austere vegetable
> > plate (with marshmallows)? *I have some ideas,

> > Plain roast sweet potatoes (in addition to the candied ones)
> > Stuffed acorn squash
> > Gravy made with veg. bouillon (there will probably be mashed potatoes)
> > Broccoli

> > Deviled eggs and and assorted cheese and crackers plate

> > Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking about
> > here)

> > Maybe I can make some huitlacoche tamales at home and bring them along to be
> > reheated.

> > Bob

> In my home, we don't make special provisions for vegetarians. *We
> generally think they're stupid, but nevertheless, there's always bread
> and vegegables and potatoes. *Why do you need to do anything?
>
> --
> Yours,
> Dan S.
> There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary and those who
> can't.

I agree. If they are vegiepeople then they figure it out with what you
have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 10:41*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Felice wrote:
> > "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> .. .

> > <snip good ideas>

> >> Not to sound unusually cruel and bitchy, but she knows the drill, and
> >> knows that her parents are not hosting, so unless she makes other
> >> arrangements for her dining pleasure (such as bringing a tofurkey, or some
> >> such creature) there is always a huge number of side dishes that are not
> >> 'meat related'.....the whole idea of a family meal on the holiday is to
> >> get the family together, not to cater to the current whims of one member
> >> if the others aren't on board. *I have had the same dilemma here, daughter
> >> wouldn't eat the turkey or the gravy.....so, there is a multitude of side
> >> dishes....she didn't go away starving.
> >> -ginny

> > Neither cruel nor bitchy, Ginny, just sensible. Maybe a special dish or two
> > for DD, but Bob sounds as if he's ready to offer a multi-course dinner.

> > Felice

> I'm not planning on making everything on that list, and I don't want
> to hijack the menu.
>
> The more I think about it, I like the deviled eggs, cheese plate, and
> some kind of steamed vegetables to to with all the heavy creamed stuff
> that will be there idea.
>
> Bob

What if the meat eaters want some of that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 3, 11:01*am, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote in news:8jdifhF6duU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
> > Some kind of faux-meaty-ish mushroom thing? (no idea what I'm talking
> > about here)

> Tofurky?
>
> --
> When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
> and carrying a cross.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sinclair Lewis
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE

Maybe a garden burger?