Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Key lime - fresh or bottled?

My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
NY.

So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
a really bold lime flavor. Tart is good.

I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
standard;
Key Lime Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 eggs
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
2/3 cup key lime juice

Combine cookie or graham cracker crumbs with butter or margarine.
Press into bottom and partially up sides of 9 inch springform pan.
Refrigerate.
In a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer the cream cheese, sugar,
lime peel, and cornstarch until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at
a time, blending just until smooth. Add key lime juice with mixer on
low. Finish mixing by hand. Do not overbeat, or cake will crack during
baking. Pour batter into prepared crust.
Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes, or until
set. To minimize cracking, place a shallow pan half full of hot water
on lower rack during baking.
Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes with the
door open at least 4 inches.
xxxxxxxx

Anybody suggest a richer one?

Thanks
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 11:51*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> NY.
>
> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]
>
> Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
> a really bold lime flavor. *Tart is good.
>
> I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
> standard;
> Key Lime Cheesecake
> 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
> 6 tablespoons butter, melted
> 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
> 1 cup white sugar
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
> 2/3 cup key lime juice
>
> Combine cookie or graham cracker crumbs with butter or margarine.
> Press into bottom and partially up sides of 9 inch springform pan.
> Refrigerate.
> In a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer the cream cheese, sugar,
> lime peel, and cornstarch until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at
> a time, blending just until smooth. Add key lime juice with mixer on
> low. Finish mixing by hand. Do not overbeat, or cake will crack during
> baking. Pour batter into prepared crust.
> Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes, or until
> set. To minimize cracking, place a shallow pan half full of hot water
> on lower rack during baking.
> Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes with the
> door open at least 4 inches.
> xxxxxxxx
>
> Anybody suggest a richer one?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

I've used key limes and key lime juice and I can't tell the difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> NY.
>
> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

It's worth finding either the real thing or the juice. I'd go with
the bottled lime juice first since you've never tasted key limes
anyway. I bought a bag of tiny little key limes last summer to make
something or other and it took me practically "forever" to juice them.
It was boring and tedious work for about a cups worth of juice. If
you like the bottled juice a lot and want to find out what that
cheesecake made with fresh key lime tastes like, then look around for
them. If you decide that key lime flavor is no big deal and you go
with regular limes or lemons when you make it a second time, please do
me a favor and don't call it "key lime" cheesecake.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
| My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
| I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
| NY.
|
| So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
| suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]
|
| Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
| a really bold lime flavor. Tart is good.
|
| I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
| standard;
| Key Lime Cheesecake
| 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
| 6 tablespoons butter, melted
| 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
| 1 cup white sugar
| 1 tablespoon cornstarch
| 3 eggs
| 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
| 2/3 cup key lime juice

Well, key lime cheesecake is not key lime pie. If you want to have
productive fun, make him a real key lime pie, the recipe link is to a
reasonably authentic Floridian version. The ingredient quantities
vary a bit but the basics: juice, condensed milk and egg yolks are
essential. Much more satisfying than a cheesecake
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-k...-i/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
a.. 5 egg yolks, beaten
b.. 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
c.. 1/2 cup key lime juice
d.. 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

Directions
1.. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2.. Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked
graham cracker shell.
3.. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish
with lime slices if desired.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

| "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
|| My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
|| I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
|| NY.
|| So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
|| suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]
|| Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
|| a really bold lime flavor. Tart is good.
|| I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
|| standard;
|| Key Lime Cheesecake
|| 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
|| 6 tablespoons butter, melted
|| 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
|| 1 cup white sugar
|| 1 tablespoon cornstarch
|| 3 eggs
|| 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
|| 2/3 cup key lime juice
|
| Well, key lime cheesecake is not key lime pie. If you want to have
| productive fun, make him a real key lime pie, the recipe link is to a
| reasonably authentic Floridian version. The ingredient quantities
| vary a bit but the basics: juice, condensed milk and egg yolks are
| essential. Much more satisfying than a cheesecake
| http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-k...-i/Detail.aspx
|
| Ingredients
| a.. 5 egg yolks, beaten
| b.. 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
| c.. 1/2 cup key lime juice
| d.. 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
|
| Directions
| 1.. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
| 2.. Combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well. Pour into unbaked
| graham cracker shell.
| 3.. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Top with whipped topping and garnish
| with lime slices if desired.

The best I have ever had comes from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. I didn't realize the
recipe was on the Internet, here is the link:
http://www.joesstonecrab.com/recipes/keylime.html

....a bit less eggy, a bit more limey.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> I bought a bag of tiny little key limes last summer to make
> something or other and it took me practically "forever" to juice them.
> It was boring and tedious work for about a cups worth of juice.

One of those lime squeezers helps a LOT.

Brian
--
Day 632 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 3:02*pm, "pavane" > wrote:
> "Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

> | My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> | I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> | NY.
> |
> | So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> | suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]
> |
> | Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
> | a really bold lime flavor. *Tart is good.
> |
> | I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
> | standard;
> | Key Lime Cheesecake
> | 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
> | 6 tablespoons butter, melted
> | 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
> | 1 cup white sugar
> | 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> | 3 eggs
> | 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
> | 2/3 cup key lime juice
>
> Well, key lime cheesecake is not key lime pie. *If you want to have
> productive fun, make him a real key lime pie, the recipe link is to a
> reasonably authentic Floridian version. *The ingredient quantities
> vary a bit but the basics: juice, condensed milk and egg yolks are
> essential. *Much more satisfying than a cheesecakehttp://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-key-lime-pie-i/Detail.aspx
>
> Ingredients
> * a.. 5 egg yolks, beaten
> * b.. 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
> * c.. 1/2 cup key lime juice
> * d.. 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust

If you're already using one crappy ingredient, why not use bottled
lime juice? Canned milk---> bad ingredients in...

Trashy American food.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2010 9:50 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
>> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
>> NY.
>>
>> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
>> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

> It's worth finding either the real thing or the juice. I'd go with
> the bottled lime juice first since you've never tasted key limes
> anyway. I bought a bag of tiny little key limes last summer to make
> something or other and it took me practically "forever" to juice them.
> It was boring and tedious work for about a cups worth of juice. If
> you like the bottled juice a lot and want to find out what that
> cheesecake made with fresh key lime tastes like, then look around for
> them. If you decide that key lime flavor is no big deal and you go
> with regular limes or lemons when you make it a second time, please do
> me a favor and don't call it "key lime" cheesecake.

I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:25:20 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>Persian? You mean they come from Iran?

No...they come from Kroger...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
> funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
> really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to give
> up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

Key limes aren't commercially grown anymore. However, the same lime has been
grown commercially in Mexico and the Carribean for a long time.

Brian
--
Day 632 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2010 12:52 PM, Default User wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
>> funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
>> really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to give
>> up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
>> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
>> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

> Key limes aren't commercially grown anymore. However, the same lime has been
> grown commercially in Mexico and the Carribean for a long time.

My guess is that these were probably not grown in the Keys. Mexico seems
about right though. I only bought this because it was the first time I'd
seen this on the market. They're too much of a bother to juice so I
won't be getting them again.

> Brian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41:05 -1000, dsi1 >
wrote:

> It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
> give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

I went through all the same thoughts and emotions, coming to the same
conclusion dsi1!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...

| Now that I can get key limes locally, I use them, but I have never
| thought there was a difference significant enough to avoid using
| Persian limes, and the *fresh* taste of a squeezed lime is far
| superior to anything in a bottle.

Complete agreement. There is a preservative taste, also in the
prepared lemon and lime juices, that I just can't stand.

And if you can't find the key limes or Persian limes, try some
sour oranges. In the Joe's Stone Crab recipe, of course.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message ...
| On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:18:24 -0400, "pavane"
| > wrote:
|
| >The best I have ever had comes from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. I didn't realize the
| >recipe was on the Internet, here is the link:
| >http://www.joesstonecrab.com/recipes/keylime.html
| >
| >...a bit less eggy, a bit more limey.
|
| Pavane...that is the best recipe...make it many times. That recipe
| calls for graham cracker crust...but I still prefer a flaky pastry
| crust.

I still like the slight citrus flavor that the filling gives the graham cracker
crust, particularly if it is fresh and crunchy. But that is minor compared
to the quality of the filling.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 5:48*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:25:20 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> >Persian? You mean they come from Iran?

> No...they come from Kroger...

They grow them at Kroger's?

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:55:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

Be careful with that gmail account, kid. Very, very careful.

{plonk}

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 29, 10:04*pm, wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:55:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
>
> Be *careful with that gmail account, kid. Very, very careful.

You say as you hide behind an anonymizer with your piggy,
oleomargarine wife.

> {plonk}
>
> -- Larry

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> NY.
>
> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]
>
> Neither of us have ever had the real thing- so our expectations are of
> a really bold lime flavor. Tart is good.
>
> I see this recipe in several places so assume it is some sort of
> standard;
> Key Lime Cheesecake
> 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
> 6 tablespoons butter, melted
> 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
> 1 cup white sugar
> 1 tablespoon cornstarch
> 3 eggs
> 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
> 2/3 cup key lime juice
>
> Combine cookie or graham cracker crumbs with butter or margarine.
> Press into bottom and partially up sides of 9 inch springform pan.
> Refrigerate.
> In a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer the cream cheese, sugar,
> lime peel, and cornstarch until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at
> a time, blending just until smooth. Add key lime juice with mixer on
> low. Finish mixing by hand. Do not overbeat, or cake will crack during
> baking. Pour batter into prepared crust.
> Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes, or until
> set. To minimize cracking, place a shallow pan half full of hot water
> on lower rack during baking.
> Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes with the
> door open at least 4 inches.
> xxxxxxxx
>
> Anybody suggest a richer one?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

For pie.

1st choice - fresh key limes
2nd choice -bottled key lime juice
3rd choice - Persian limes.

Right now the small "Mexican" (key limes) are in the stores and plentiful.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:16:54 -0400, Mr. Bill wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:50:24 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> If you decide that key lime flavor is no big deal and you go
>>with regular limes or lemons when you make it a second time

> And don't forget to add lime zest back to the juice......will improve
> the flavor immensely!

Zesting 25 key limes? Yeah - that oughta be fun considering how
small they are and how thin the skins.

IOW, it's not practical. Nearly impossible if all you have is a
microplane. And a regular zester is out - too much pith would be
picked up. I've tried both.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
> funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
> really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
> give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

Some of them can be kinda dry inside. bout 1 out of every 4 bags
is 2/3rd a PITA. Most ties they're amazingly easy to juice. I
have better lick juicing these than regular limes, though.

We probably get better Key Limes here since we use so many of them
ad people/restaurants would have a fit if they were all tough and
dry.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:13:46 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> My guess is that these were probably not grown in the Keys. Mexico seems
> about right though. I only bought this because it was the first time I'd
> seen this on the market. They're too much of a bother to juice so I
> won't be getting them again.

Don't give up, is all I can say. I use them exclusively and
they're usually easier to juice than regular limes. Restaurants,
trailers, and food carts use tons of these, quartered and served
with tacos for the customers to squeeze on their tacos.

And you don't give a customer a dry lime.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/29/2010 6:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:13:46 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> My guess is that these were probably not grown in the Keys. Mexico seems
>> about right though. I only bought this because it was the first time I'd
>> seen this on the market. They're too much of a bother to juice so I
>> won't be getting them again.

> Don't give up, is all I can say. I use them exclusively and
> they're usually easier to juice than regular limes. Restaurants,
> trailers, and food carts use tons of these, quartered and served
> with tacos for the customers to squeeze on their tacos.
>
> And you don't give a customer a dry lime.
>
> -sw

I'm not that into limes anyway. I figure that I'll make one or two lime
based desserts within the remaining part of my life - if that much.

I have to say that a quartered section of these fruits make for a great
presentation. I think I may have seen lime served cut into 8ths. Damn
they're cute!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:56:38 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> I have to say that a quartered section of these fruits make for a great
> presentation. I think I may have seen lime served cut into 8ths. Damn
> they're cute!

My tripas tacos from last weeks:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8599/tacos2.jpg

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
> funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
> really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
> give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

following a tip i saw somewhere, i've been microwaving 'regular' limes for
20 seconds before juicing. it seems to make a difference.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:10:31 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> On Oct 29, 10:04*pm, wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:55:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Be *careful with that gmail account, kid. Very, very careful.

> You say as you hide behind an anonymizer with your piggy,
> oleomargarine wife.

what the **** is your problem, bobo?

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> NY.
>
> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:

<https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1>

....it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
where i live (maryland).

some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)

the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent sodium
benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a baker
and haven't used it for pie.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
>> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
>> NY.
>>
>> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
>> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

> if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:
>
> <https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1>
>
> ...it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
> where i live (maryland).

Average cost is around $3.29 plus tax in most supermarkets that carry it in
my area.

> some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
> realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
> vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)

Realemon also uses Sodium Metabisulite and Sodium Sulfite, as seen in the
ingredients list of the bottle I have now (UPC 0 14800 58228 4). I tend to
detect a slight sulfur odor because of that, moreso when I first open the
bottle and pour it, less if I leave the cap off for a few minutes then put
the cap back on. (I don't have a Realime bottle available to see if it uses
the same preservatives.)

Complete list of ingredients from Realemon (converted from ALL CAPS used in
the actual ingredients list on the bottle):

Lemon juice from concentrate (Water, Concentrated lemon juice), Sodium
Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite (Preservatives), Lemon
Oil.

(Someone else can add Realime ingredients if they have a bottle they can
reference available.)

> the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent
> sodium
> benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
> keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a
> baker
> and haven't used it for pie.

Since Nellie & Joe's uses 1/10 of 1% of Sodium Benzoate as a preservative I
don't detect any sulfur odor. IMHO, the lime juice in the bottle is good for
making beverages (e.g., limeade just using water, sugar, and lime juice),
and it's also more than good enough for use where any recipe calls for lime
juice in general or specifically key lime juice.

Complete list of ingredients of Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice
(referenced from bottle UPC code 0 84744 00101 1):

Key West Lime Juice from concentrate, and less then 1/10 of 1% of Sodium
Benzoate as a preservative.

(They also have small indicator on the upper left corner of the label on the
front side of the bottle showing Double Strength--or at least that appears
on the bottle I am looking at--so half as much bottled lime juice could be
used unless stronger lime flavor is an essential.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:18:14 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>

> > I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
> > funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
> > really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
> > give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
> > commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
> > of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

> following a tip i saw somewhere, i've been microwaving 'regular' limes for
> 20 seconds before juicing. it seems to make a difference.

The bag of key limes I bought were so dry nuking and even rolling
didn't work.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

-snip-

>> some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
>> realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
>> vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)

Yup- Realime uses oil, too.

>Realemon also uses Sodium Metabisulite and Sodium Sulfite, as seen in the
>ingredients list of the bottle I have now (UPC 0 14800 58228 4). I tend to
>detect a slight sulfur odor because of that, moreso when I first open the
>bottle and pour it, less if I leave the cap off for a few minutes then put
>the cap back on. (I don't have a Realime bottle available to see if it uses
>the same preservatives.)

>Complete list of ingredients from Realemon (converted from ALL CAPS used in
>the actual ingredients list on the bottle):
>
>Lemon juice from concentrate (Water, Concentrated lemon juice), Sodium
>Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite (Preservatives), Lemon
>Oil.
>
>(Someone else can add Realime ingredients if they have a bottle they can
>reference available.)

Substitute 'lime' for 'lemon' - and drop the 'sodium sulfite' and
you've got Realime.

>> the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent
>> sodium
>> benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
>> keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a
>> baker
>> and haven't used it for pie.

I couldn't find that today- but Amazon carries it so I might have a
'taste off' with the persian *and* Key!!! limes I got today.
[ouch- maybe not. $4 bottle- $9 shipping. Guess I'll look around
some more]

Thanks all-- I've got a squeezer and limes enough for a pie & a
cheesecake.

The Fresh Market- a new chain in Latham, NY carries Key Limes.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
>> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
>> NY.
>>
>> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
>> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

> if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:
>
> <https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1>
>
> ...it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
> where i live (maryland).
>
> some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
> realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
> vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)
>
> the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent sodium
> benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
> keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a baker
> and haven't used it for pie.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm pretty sure that's not key lime juice. It's very cleverly-
labeled Persian lime juice.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

| The Fresh Market- a new chain in Latham, NY carries Key Limes.

Fresh Market is great, a mini-chain out of North Carolina. Some
really good products, particularly in produce and seafood. Hope
you enjoy it as much as we in Florida and the South have. I'm
glad to hear that they are going into the North.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 30, 10:37*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> >> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
> >> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
> >> NY.

> >> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
> >> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

> > if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:

> > <https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?Categor....>

> > ...it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
> > where i live (maryland).

> > some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
> > realemon or realime, they're probably right. *(i think realemon is kinda
> > vile because they add lemon oil. *not sure about realime.)

> > the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent sodium
> > benzoate as preservative). *some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
> > keys*, but i think it's a good product. *note, though, that i'm not a baker
> > and haven't used it for pie.

> > your pal,
> > blake

> I'm pretty sure that's not key lime juice. *It's very cleverly-
> labeled Persian lime juice.

It is. That's why it's called Key West Lime Juice, not key lime
juice. They assume that people who make concoctions with Eagle Brand
type junk are stupid, and for the most part they're right. Of course,
bottled lime juice matches up well with canned milk.

> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:16:54 -0700, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
>>> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
>>> NY.
>>>
>>> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
>>> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

>> if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:
>>
>> <https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1>
>>
>> ...it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
>> where i live (maryland).
>>

> Average cost is around $3.29 plus tax in most supermarkets that carry it in
> my area.
>
>> some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
>> realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
>> vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)
>>

> Realemon also uses Sodium Metabisulite and Sodium Sulfite, as seen in the
> ingredients list of the bottle I have now (UPC 0 14800 58228 4). I tend to
> detect a slight sulfur odor because of that, moreso when I first open the
> bottle and pour it, less if I leave the cap off for a few minutes then put
> the cap back on. (I don't have a Realime bottle available to see if it uses
> the same preservatives.)
>
> Complete list of ingredients from Realemon (converted from ALL CAPS used in
> the actual ingredients list on the bottle):
>
> Lemon juice from concentrate (Water, Concentrated lemon juice), Sodium
> Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite (Preservatives), Lemon
> Oil.

i just know there's something funky about realemon. i do use it (actually
a store-brand version), though, in my homemade long island ice tea where
the off-flavors are masked by the other ingredients. the minute maid
frozen that i usually use when lemon juice is called for is a little too
expensive for that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:37:14 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:51:27 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> My son has asked for a Key Lime cheesecake for his birthday next week.
>>> I'm not sure if I'll be able to find Key Limes in the Albany area of
>>> NY.
>>>
>>> So should I go with persian limes and lemon juice as some sites
>>> suggest--- or try to find Key Lime Juice? [stand-out brand?]

>> if it were me, i'd use Nellie & Joe's Famous Key West Lime Juice:
>>
>> <https://stores.floridakeys.com/keylimejuice/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1>
>>
>> ...it's pretty widely available, at three dollars and change for 16 ounces
>> where i live (maryland).
>>
>> some pooh-pooh the use of bottled juice, and if they're talking about
>> realemon or realime, they're probably right. (i think realemon is kinda
>> vile because they add lemon oil. not sure about realime.)
>>
>> the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent sodium
>> benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
>> keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a baker
>> and haven't used it for pie.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I'm pretty sure that's not key lime juice. It's very cleverly-
> labeled Persian lime juice.
>
> Bob

could be. but if you're considering using bottled lime juice, i think it's
one of the best out there, with the possible exception of the italian
import sicilia

<http://www.amazon.com/Sicilia-Lime-Juice-7-oz/dp/B0005ZYKCE>

....which costs more than twice as much, and doesn't even pretend to be key
lime. it is good though, and seems to be widely available.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:30:58 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:18:14 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41:05 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> I bought a bag of the key limes a few months back. I'd never seen those
>>> funny little green limes in the store before and my guess is that they
>>> really are key limes. It surprised me how tough it was to get them to
>>> give up their juice. Now I know why that until now, key limes were not
>>> commercially grown. Next time I'll just use my big hammer. Come to think
>>> of it, I'd rather just get the bottled stuff. :-)

>> following a tip i saw somewhere, i've been microwaving 'regular' limes for
>> 20 seconds before juicing. it seems to make a difference.
>>

> The bag of key limes I bought were so dry nuking and even rolling
> didn't work.

bummer.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:15:36 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:30:58 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:18:14 -0400, blake murphy
> > > wrote:

> >> following a tip i saw somewhere, i've been microwaving 'regular' limes for
> >> 20 seconds before juicing. it seems to make a difference.
> >>

> > The bag of key limes I bought were so dry nuking and even rolling
> > didn't work.

> bummer.

I'm feeling better about key limes in a bag now... the bag I bought
yesterday were just fine. I cut them up to pop into beers for today's
game. Our team won. Yea!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 00:24:10 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:15:36 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:30:58 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:18:14 -0400, blake murphy

>>> The bag of key limes I bought were so dry nuking and even rolling
>>> didn't work.

>> bummer.
>>

> I'm feeling better about key limes in a bag now... the bag I bought
> yesterday were just fine. I cut them up to pop into beers for today's
> game. Our team won. Yea!

uh-oh. that means you have to do the same thing for every game or your
team will surely lose.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:03:30 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:16:54 -0700, Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
>
>> Complete list of ingredients from Realemon (converted from ALL CAPS used in
>> the actual ingredients list on the bottle):
>>
>> Lemon juice from concentrate (Water, Concentrated lemon juice), Sodium
>> Benzoate, Sodium Metabisulfite and Sodium Sulfite (Preservatives), Lemon
>> Oil.

>i just know there's something funky about realemon. i do use it (actually
>a store-brand version), though, in my homemade long island ice tea where
>the off-flavors are masked by the other ingredients. the minute maid
>frozen that i usually use when lemon juice is called for is a little too
>expensive for that.

Never did like the taste of ReaLemon. I have found that Minute Maid's
Lemon Juice is an good substitute for fresh. It can found in the frozen
juice section. It is pure lemon juice, no sugar, no preservatives. It
will keep for upto a year in the freezer and upto 8 weeks in the fridge
after defrosting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> blake murphy wrote:
>> the nellie and joe's is all key lime juice (with 1/10 of one percent
>> sodium
>> benzoate as preservative). some scoff that the limes aren't from *the
>> keys*, but i think it's a good product. note, though, that i'm not a
>> baker
>> and haven't used it for pie.

> I'm pretty sure that's not key lime juice. It's very cleverly- labeled
> Persian lime juice.

I don't believe so. There's a huge industry in Mexico growing and
concentrating "key" limes. N&J is reconstituted Mexican lime juice. There is
no commercial production from the Florida keys anymore.

Brian
--
Day 635 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project.
Current music playing: None

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:05:27 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 00:24:10 -0700, sf wrote:
>

> > I'm feeling better about key limes in a bag now... the bag I bought
> > yesterday were just fine. I cut them up to pop into beers for today's
> > game. Our team won. Yea!

> uh-oh. that means you have to do the same thing for every game or your
> team will surely lose.

We're having leftovers for dinner and that's as far as I go. I have
leftover beer too, so I'll pop one open and put a leftover lime wedge
in it. We don't care if they win while they're away, we just want
them to win.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.