Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brinkman Vertical Smoker

I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for $5
at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves, and a
pristine instructions manual.

I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but it
is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be better
for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.

Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.

Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they always
come out so moist and juicy.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for $5
> at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves, and
> a pristine instructions manual.
>
> I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but
> it is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when
> you want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be
> better for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.
>
> Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
> anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.
>
> Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they always
> come out so moist and juicy.
>
> Steve
>
> Heart surgery pending?
> Read up and prepare.
> Learn how to care for a friend.
> http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood chunks
that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
into flames.
Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve B wrote:
> I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for $5
> at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves, and a
> pristine instructions manual.
>
> I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but it
> is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
> want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be better
> for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.
>
> Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
> anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.
>
> Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they always
> come out so moist and juicy.
>
> Steve

I have a Brinkman bullet-shaped smoker. The best advice was on
alt.food.barbecue. There is an FAQ he

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

I use lump charcoal in mine. I don't use water, but put some sand in the
bowl covered with foil. I don' tsoak lumps of wood in water, but wrap
them in aluminum foil and poke 2 or 3 small holes in the foil which is,
they have told me, the best way to create smoke. I use hickory chunks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve B wrote:
>> I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for
>> $5
>> at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves,
>> and a
>> pristine instructions manual.
>>
>> I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but
>> it
>> is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
>> want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be
>> better
>> for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.
>>
>> Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
>> anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.
>>
>> Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they
>> always
>> come out so moist and juicy.
>>
>> Steve

> I have a Brinkman bullet-shaped smoker. The best advice was on
> alt.food.barbecue. There is an FAQ he
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> I use lump charcoal in mine. I don't use water, but put some sand in the
> bowl covered with foil. I don' tsoak lumps of wood in water, but wrap
> them in aluminum foil and poke 2 or 3 small holes in the foil which is,
> they have told me, the best way to create smoke. I use hickory chunks.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F, and these
sports wanted it up around the 220F. range. I'll check it out, and have
another pan from my Brinkman bullet shaped smoker, so if I drill it, I will
still have an original backup. With my bullet style stand up, I liked the
ability to just check the chart for weight of the meat, add as much charcoal
and water as the chart said for that amount of meat, and walk away. I think
this one may require a little more tending, but the instructions also warn
against opening the door, even once, as heat is lost, and it takes time to
recover.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:28:05 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
> Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood chunks
> that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
> into flames.

Wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and poke a small hole (1/4cm)
in the foil. That's the common way to use wood chunks in these
smokers.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2010 5:17 PM, Steve B wrote:

> The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
> reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
> charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
> but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F, and these
> sports wanted it up around the 220F. range. I'll check it out, and have
> another pan from my Brinkman bullet shaped smoker, so if I drill it, I will
> still have an original backup. With my bullet style stand up, I liked the
> ability to just check the chart for weight of the meat, add as much charcoal
> and water as the chart said for that amount of meat, and walk away. I think
> this one may require a little more tending, but the instructions also warn
> against opening the door, even once, as heat is lost, and it takes time to
> recover.

Steve,

There are two kinds of inexpensive Brinkmans. One is the Gourmet, which
is what I have. That one does not require drilling since it has legs.
The regular, little bit cheaper, Brinkman is the one that they say needs
to be drilled.

Before you drill anything, figure out which one you have.

BTW, Mine doesn't get too hot since I quit using water and started using
sand.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:28:16 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> There are two kinds of inexpensive Brinkmans. One is the Gourmet, which
> is what I have. That one does not require drilling since it has legs.
> The regular, little bit cheaper, Brinkman is the one that they say needs
> to be drilled.
>
> Before you drill anything, figure out which one you have.

The Smoke 'n Pit ad the Cajun Cooker need holes drilled because
they have an enclosed fire-pan (basically it's just a bowl). The
Brinkman Gourmet has a firepan with integrated air louvers. All
the models have legs, the Gourmet actually has the piddliest legs
of them all. But they do raise it off the ground an inch to let
air in underneath.

The way he said "easier to add charcoal" and mentioned the door and
"shelves" (not racks) makes me think he has a newer box-style
smoker. It's square, not round.

And IIRC, this one has reverted back to the bowl-type firepan with
no holes in it. So it would need holes or at least a small round
rack in the bottom to allow air in and ash to fall through. It's a
stupid design and I don't know why they went back to it.

http://www.foodsmokingreview.com/page05.htm

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 22, 2:36*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve B wrote:
>

> > I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for $5
> > at a yard sale. *They sell for around $75. *All the trays and shelves, and a
> > pristine instructions manual.

> > I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but it
> > is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
> > want to add water or briquettes. *This one seems easier, and would be better
> > for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.

> > Anyone use a smoker here? *It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
> > anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.

> > Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they always
> > come out so moist and juicy.

> > Steve

> I have a Brinkman bullet-shaped smoker. The best advice was on
> alt.food.barbecue. *There is an FAQ *he
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> I use lump charcoal in mine. I don't use water, but put some sand in the
> bowl covered with foil. *I don' tsoak lumps of wood in water, but wrap
> them in aluminum foil and poke 2 or 3 small holes in the foil which is,
> they have told me, the best way to create smoke. I use hickory chunks.

Is that faq up to date? There's a quote from Phil Wight,, and old
Phil's been gone a while now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:17:43 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Steve B"
> wrote,
>The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
>reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
>charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
>but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F,

That sounds like the temperature in the interior of the piece of meat,
not the higher temp in the smoker needed to transfer heat to the meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"squirtz" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:28:05 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
> Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood
> chunks
> that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
> into flames.

Wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and poke a small hole (1/4cm)
in the foil. That's the common way to use wood chunks in these
smokers.

-sw

Yes, I do that sometimes. I don't often mind if they burn a little but just
wanted to explain how it can get too hot if you are not watching.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2010 12:19 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2:36 pm, Janet > wrote:
>> On 10/22/2010 10:26 AM, Steve B wrote:
>>

>>> I picked up a once or twice used Brinkman vertical smoker yesterday for $5
>>> at a yard sale. They sell for around $75. All the trays and shelves, and a
>>> pristine instructions manual.

>>> I have another Brinkman round smoker that I like to smoke turkeys in, but it
>>> is a little hard to use with all the stuff stacked the way it is when you
>>> want to add water or briquettes. This one seems easier, and would be better
>>> for smoking fish and jerky and smaller items.

>>> Anyone use a smoker here? It IS a smoker, but it can be used to cook
>>> anything cookable, using a slow cook temperature of 180-195 F. range.

>>> Am going to do a turkey in the round one this Thanksgiving, as they always
>>> come out so moist and juicy.

>>> Steve

>> I have a Brinkman bullet-shaped smoker. The best advice was on
>> alt.food.barbecue. There is an FAQ he
>>
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>>
>> I use lump charcoal in mine. I don't use water, but put some sand in the
>> bowl covered with foil. I don' tsoak lumps of wood in water, but wrap
>> them in aluminum foil and poke 2 or 3 small holes in the foil which is,
>> they have told me, the best way to create smoke. I use hickory chunks.
>>

> Is that faq up to date? There's a quote from Phil Wight,, and old
> Phil's been gone a while now.

I don't know how up to date it is, but the advice is still excellent.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2010 7:37 AM, Tom Biasi wrote:

> "squirtz" wrote in message ...
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:28:05 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:
>
>> I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
>> Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood
>> chunks
>> that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
>> into flames.

> Wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and poke a small hole (1/4cm)
> in the foil. That's the common way to use wood chunks in these
> smokers.
>
> -sw
>
> Yes, I do that sometimes. I don't often mind if they burn a little but
> just wanted to explain how it can get too hot if you are not watching.

I bought a battery operated remote thermometer. I put a cork on the end
of the probe and lay it on the rack next to the meat. That gives me the
best indication of the temperature in the smoker.

After several hours, when I think we are getting close to done (1 or so
hours) I take off the cork and put the probe into the meat.

When the meat has reached the desired temp (for me 10° less than
"done"), I will wrap it several times in heavy-duty foil, a couple of
big towels and a blanket and put it all in a cooler or styrofoam chest
for a couple of hours more.

Everyone develops their own set of techniques over time, but it helps to
get hints and information from others when you are first starting out.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 10/22/2010 5:17 PM, Steve B wrote:
>
>> The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
>> reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
>> charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot
>> enough",
>> but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F, and these
>> sports wanted it up around the 220F. range. I'll check it out, and have
>> another pan from my Brinkman bullet shaped smoker, so if I drill it, I
>> will
>> still have an original backup. With my bullet style stand up, I liked
>> the
>> ability to just check the chart for weight of the meat, add as much
>> charcoal
>> and water as the chart said for that amount of meat, and walk away. I
>> think
>> this one may require a little more tending, but the instructions also
>> warn
>> against opening the door, even once, as heat is lost, and it takes time
>> recover.
>>

> Steve,
>
> There are two kinds of inexpensive Brinkmans. One is the Gourmet, which is
> what I have. That one does not require drilling since it has legs. The
> regular, little bit cheaper, Brinkman is the one that they say needs to be
> drilled.
>
> Before you drill anything, figure out which one you have.
>
> BTW, Mine doesn't get too hot since I quit using water and started using
> sand.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Mine is the "Brinkman Charcoal Smoker Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood
Smoker/Grill). No Gourmet anywhere on it. It does have legs, but they are
flimsy, and one was broken, hence the reason I got it so cheap. The door is
on pins, too, instead of hinges, and the door came off in my hand when I
went to open it. Another simple fix for two small metal hinges, and one of
the reasons I got it so cheap. But I can weld on lots stronger legs that
will stick out farther, making it less topheavy, with wheels on it. The
picture here shows it with wheels, but none came with it. I believe mine is
the regular one. In reading a site on the Internet,

http://bbq.about.com/b/2004/04/22/br...ter-smoker.htm

a couple of the posters mention that they use sand. Is that used dry or
wet? If dry, what does it do? And if dry, do you just use more liquids
inside the meats rolled up in foil or ?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 10/23/2010 7:37 AM, Tom Biasi wrote:

> "squirtz" wrote in message ...
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:28:05 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:
>
>> I have two. One for meats and one for peppers etc.
>> Its easy to get them too hot if you are not careful. I throw on wood
>> chunks
>> that I soaked in water overnight. Sometimes the chunks dry out and burst
>> into flames.

> Wrap them tightly in heavy duty foil and poke a small hole (1/4cm)
> in the foil. That's the common way to use wood chunks in these
> smokers.
>
> -sw
>
> Yes, I do that sometimes. I don't often mind if they burn a little but
> just wanted to explain how it can get too hot if you are not watching.

I bought a battery operated remote thermometer. I put a cork on the end
of the probe and lay it on the rack next to the meat. That gives me the
best indication of the temperature in the smoker.

After several hours, when I think we are getting close to done (1 or so
hours) I take off the cork and put the probe into the meat.

When the meat has reached the desired temp (for me 10° less than
"done"), I will wrap it several times in heavy-duty foil, a couple of
big towels and a blanket and put it all in a cooler or styrofoam chest
for a couple of hours more.

Everyone develops their own set of techniques over time, but it helps to
get hints and information from others when you are first starting out.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

What brand of remote thermometer do you have? I haven't found any that hold
up.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:37:44 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> Yes, I do that sometimes. I don't often mind if they burn a little but just
> wanted to explain how it can get too hot if you are not watching.

If those wood chunks catch fire, your temps will spike
tremendously. I have no trouble maintaining a constant temp in my
Brinkman Gourmet bullet smoker, but with their cheaper bullet
smokers it can be difficult.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:38:23 -0700, David Harmon wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:17:43 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Steve B"
> > wrote,
>>The advice about the foil with holes is in the instructions. On reading
>>reviews of this cooker, most comment that they had to drill holes in the
>>charcoal pan or make a hanging screen because it doesn't get "hot enough",
>>but to my recollection, the cooking takes place from 180-195 F,

> That sounds like the temperature in the interior of the piece of meat,
> not the higher temp in the smoker needed to transfer heat to the meat.

Yes. Smoking of meat can be anywhere from 225F to 275F. Some
people go up to 325F and even higher but I don't recommend it.

There's one guy on the link Steve posted that claims it's only
supposed to be 165F. Which is incredibly wrong.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:19:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> Is that faq up to date? There's a quote from Phil Wight,, and old
> Phil's been gone a while now.

There haven't been many recent advancements in the smoking of meat
(no new animals, no new trees), so yes - it's up to date ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:38:23 -0700, David Harmon wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:17:43 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, "Steve B"
> > wrote,

There's one guy on the link Steve posted that claims it's only
supposed to be 165F. Which is incredibly wrong.

-sw

It depends if you want to smoke or cook.
165F or even lower is fine for smoking but not for cooking.
Its best to monitor the meats internal temperature if cooking is desired.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:24:32 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> It depends if you want to smoke or cook.
> 165F or even lower is fine for smoking but not for cooking.
> Its best to monitor the meats internal temperature if cooking is desired.

It's too low for hot smoking and too high for cold smoking.

Datapoint: When people refer to "smoking" the default
interpretation is hot smoked BBQ, AKA, "Low and Slow", usually 225F
for better. There's no BBQ food - not even chicken - that can be
cooked at 165F safely.

And then other than cold smoking at 120F or below, there are very
few things that can be treated to 165F smoke, which is really just
"smoke flavoring" them. Shrimp and mollusks come to mind.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> There's no BBQ food - not even chicken - that can be cooked at 165F
> safely.
>
> And then other than cold smoking at 120F or below, there are very
> few things that can be treated to 165F smoke, which is really just
> "smoke flavoring" them. Shrimp and mollusks come to mind.

Hmmmm.... I'd be interested in trying mozzarella which was fresh from a
165°F smoker.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 10:44*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:19:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > Is that faq up to date? There's a quote from Phil Wight,, and old
> > Phil's been gone a while now.

> There haven't been many recent advancements in the smoking of meat
> (no new animals, no new trees), so yes - it's up to date ;-)

How about new smokers and new charcoal/chips/etc.?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:24:32 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> It depends if you want to smoke or cook.
> 165F or even lower is fine for smoking but not for cooking.
> Its best to monitor the meats internal temperature if cooking is desired.

It's too low for hot smoking and too high for cold smoking.

Datapoint: When people refer to "smoking" the default
interpretation is hot smoked BBQ, AKA, "Low and Slow", usually 225F
for better. There's no BBQ food - not even chicken - that can be
cooked at 165F safely.

And then other than cold smoking at 120F or below, there are very
few things that can be treated to 165F smoke, which is really just
"smoke flavoring" them. Shrimp and mollusks come to mind.

-sw

I don't disagree with what you say but it really depends on what you want to
do.
I smoke jalapenos at 165 or less for chipotles.

BTW: If you get away from Texas or North Carolina the definition of smoking
and BBQ changes drastically.
Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
eb.com...

Steve wrote:

> There's no BBQ food - not even chicken - that can be cooked at 165F
> safely.
>
> And then other than cold smoking at 120F or below, there are very
> few things that can be treated to 165F smoke, which is really just
> "smoke flavoring" them. Shrimp and mollusks come to mind.

Hmmmm.... I'd be interested in trying mozzarella which was fresh from a
165°F smoker.

Bob

Not sure what temperature was used but the smoked mozz. I tasted was pretty
good.
Had some smoked roasted peppers in olive oil with it.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2010 10:37 AM, Steve B wrote:

> a couple of the posters mention that they use sand. Is that used dry or
> wet? If dry, what does it do? And if dry, do you just use more liquids
> inside the meats rolled up in foil or ?

Dry sand. It acts as a "heat sink" From what I understand, the water
does the same thing, but you have to keep replacing it as it boils off.
The sand stays. I had to experiment with the level of sand to get it
right for keeping the temp I wanted. I keep it at around 230°F

I put foil over the sand so that it doesn't get full of melted fat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:51:13 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> There's no BBQ food - not even chicken - that can be cooked at 165F
>> safely.
>>
>> And then other than cold smoking at 120F or below, there are very
>> few things that can be treated to 165F smoke, which is really just
>> "smoke flavoring" them. Shrimp and mollusks come to mind.

> Hmmmm.... I'd be interested in trying mozzarella which was fresh from a
> 165°F smoker.

I think 165F would be too high for cheese. But I've never tried
it. I do smoked mussels often around that temp. Tried shrimp one
time but they had a funny flavor.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 15:05:11 -0400, Tom Biasi wrote:

> I don't disagree with what you say but it really depends on what you want to
> do.
> I smoke jalapenos at 165 or less for chipotles

Yeah, 165F would be good for chipotles. But it's still not BBQ.

> BTW: If you get away from Texas or North Carolina the definition of smoking
> and BBQ changes drastically.

Not the procedure, just the ingredients. But if you want to argue
about it you'll have to go over to alt.food.barbecue because I
don't argue styles :-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:56:21 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On Oct 23, 10:44*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:19:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>> Is that faq up to date? There's a quote from Phil Wight,, and old
>>> Phil's been gone a while now.

>> There haven't been many recent advancements in the smoking of meat
>> (no new animals, no new trees), so yes - it's up to date ;-)
>>

> How about new smokers and new charcoal/chips/etc.?

There really no new advances there. The FAQ mentiones Kamado-style
smokers and pellets. The only thing it may be missing is the new
breed of "All Natural" lump briquettes made with wood and a starch
binder. Nothing else. Good stuff.

It's still 95% "Up to Date" in my opinion. I've mentioned updating
it and the general consensus is an apathetic, "Why Bother?".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 10/23/2010 10:37 AM, Steve B wrote:
>

>> a couple of the posters mention that they use sand. Is that used dry or
>> wet? If dry, what does it do? And if dry, do you just use more liquids
>> inside the meats rolled up in foil or ?

> Dry sand. It acts as a "heat sink" From what I understand, the water does
> the same thing, but you have to keep replacing it as it boils off. The
> sand stays. I had to experiment with the level of sand to get it right
> for keeping the temp I wanted. I keep it at around 230°F
>
> I put foil over the sand so that it doesn't get full of melted fat.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

TYVM for all your tips. I'm looking forward to playing with this.