Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default African cauliflower soup

21/2 cups onions
2 Tsp. ground cumin; 11/2 tsp ground fennel
2 cups potatoes
5 cups cauliflower
4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
2 TB fresh lemon juice

Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. Cook for a minute or
so. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer. When
cooked add the lemon juice. The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I
prefer my soup chunky. A googled recipe - despite the fact that I
have tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). I guess
sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!

Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a couple of
days ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lainie wrote:
> 21/2 cups onions
> 2 Tsp. ground cumin; 11/2 tsp ground fennel
> 2 cups potatoes
> 5 cups cauliflower
> 4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
> 2 TB fresh lemon juice
>
> Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. Cook for a minute or
> so. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer. When
> cooked add the lemon juice. The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I
> prefer my soup chunky. A googled recipe - despite the fact that I
> have tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). I guess
> sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!
>
> Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a couple of
> days ago.

Sorry about the cat. The soup sounds good. I'll have to save the
recipe for soup weather.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 7:04*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *lainie > wrote:
> > 21/2 cups onions
> > 2 Tsp. ground cumin; 11/2 tsp ground fennel
> > 2 cups potatoes
> > 5 cups cauliflower
> > 4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
> > 2 TB fresh lemon juice

> > Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. *Cook for a minute or
> > so. *Add stock and bring to a boil. *Add cauliflower and simmer. *When
> > cooked add the lemon juice. *The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I
> > prefer my soup chunky. * A googled recipe - despite the fact that I
> > have tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). *I guess
> > sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!

> > Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a couple of
> > days ago.

> Condolences on your lost kitty... :-(
>
> That soup looks good, but I'd likely add leeks? ;-d
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
> *Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
> * * * no influence on society. -- Mark Twain- Hide quoted text -

And croutons and cheese....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lainie wrote:

> 2 1/2 cups onions
> 2 Tsp. ground cumin; 1 1/2 tsp ground fennel
> 2 cups potatoes
> 5 cups cauliflower
> 4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
> 2 TB fresh lemon juice
>
> Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. Cook for a minute or
> so. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer. When
> cooked add the lemon juice. The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I
> prefer my soup chunky. A googled recipe - despite the fact that I
> have tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). I guess
> sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!

What kind of potatoes did you use? If using russets I'd scrub them well,
peel them, simmer the peels in the chicken stock for 20 minutes or so to add
additional potato flavor, then remove them. Russets would also fall apart
more easily while cooking, so I'd be more prone to blend the soup.

If using other potatoes I'm not sure whether I'd bother peeling them or not,
but since they'd hold their shape pretty well I'd be less inclined to blend
the soup.

> Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a couple of
> days ago.

That's a horrible, horrible feeling, but your cat *trusted* you to make the
right decision, and I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:04:06 -0500:

>> 21/2 cups onions
>> 2 Tsp. ground cumin; 11/2 tsp ground fennel
>> 2 cups potatoes
>> 5 cups cauliflower
>> 4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
>> 2 TB fresh lemon juice
>>
>> Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. Cook for a
>> minute or so. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add
>> cauliflower and simmer. When cooked add the lemon juice.
>> The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I prefer my soup
>> chunky. A googled recipe - despite the fact that I have
>> tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). I
>> guess sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!
>>
>> Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a
>> couple of days ago.

> Condolences on your lost kitty... :-(

> That soup looks good, but I'd likely add leeks? ;-d

I made the soup and it is good but I thought a couple of jalapenos would
help and they did! I followed the original idea of blending and ground
the soup in a food processor. Following information on the web, I also
added some sour cream and topped the bowls with chopped tomatoes and
green onions.

Another web site suggests adding garam masala for a curry flavor and I
must try that.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am sorry for your loss, Lee
"lainie" > wrote in message
> 21/2 cups onions
> 2 Tsp. ground cumin; 11/2 tsp ground fennel
> 2 cups potatoes
> 5 cups cauliflower
> 4 cups stock (I used homemade chicken)
> 2 TB fresh lemon juice
>
> Saute onions, then add cumin, fennel & potatoes. Cook for a minute or
> so. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add cauliflower and simmer. When
> cooked add the lemon juice. The recipe says to blend, but sometimes I
> prefer my soup chunky. A googled recipe - despite the fact that I
> have tons of wonderful cookbooks (and always buying more). I guess
> sometimes, I'm just plain lazy!
>
> Today it's my feel good meal since I put my cat to sleep a couple of
> days ago.

African peanut butter soup zxcvbob General Cooking 4 14-11-2009 10:51 PM
Saifee Durbar: Trans-African Rail and African Self Sufficiency Rail Expansion General Cooking 0 15-07-2009 01:06 PM
Cauliflower soup biig General Cooking 7 28-01-2007 01:59 PM
African Tomato-Peanut Soup Kathy Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2006 08:45 AM
Cauliflower Soup Tess General Cooking 4 19-02-2005 09:20 AM