Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nuoc Mam Fish Sauce

Following suggestions I found and bought a bottle of Nuoc Mam, Hon, Phan
Thiet - One Crab brand of fish sauce. I'm looking fprward to trying it out.

Paid $3.79 for a 24 fluid ounce bottle. This is a clear, whiskey color. Not
like the thick, chunky fish sauce from my previous purchase.

The guy at the store said the stuff I bought before (now he tells me) wasn't
correct for noodles.

Michael (piedmont)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/21/2010 1:43 PM, Michael (piedmont) wrote:
> Following suggestions I found and bought a bottle of Nuoc Mam, Hon, Phan
> Thiet - One Crab brand of fish sauce. I'm looking fprward to trying it out.
>
> Paid $3.79 for a 24 fluid ounce bottle. This is a clear, whiskey color. Not
> like the thick, chunky fish sauce from my previous purchase.
>
> The guy at the store said the stuff I bought before (now he tells me) wasn't
> correct for noodles.
>
> Michael (piedmont)

Much better for what you are making. I like the Three Crab fish sauce.
The main difference between that and the One Crab is that the One Crab
is lighter a little less saltier and has a less complex taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 21, 10:43*am, "Michael \(piedmont\)" > wrote:
> Following suggestions I found and bought a bottle of Nuoc Mam, Hon, Phan
> Thiet - One Crab brand of fish sauce. I'm looking fprward to trying it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:43:27 -0400, Michael (piedmont) wrote:

> Following suggestions I found and bought a bottle of Nuoc Mam, Hon, Phan
> Thiet - One Crab brand of fish sauce. I'm looking fprward to trying it out.
>
> Paid $3.79 for a 24 fluid ounce bottle. This is a clear, whiskey color. Not
> like the thick, chunky fish sauce from my previous purchase.
>
> The guy at the store said the stuff I bought before (now he tells me) wasn't
> correct for noodles.

You have the right stuff now. Lookup "nuoc cham" for the most
common usage. It's also used in most all Vietnamese, and many Thai
preparations.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 10/21/2010 1:43 PM, Michael (piedmont) wrote:
>> Following suggestions I found and bought a bottle of Nuoc Mam, Hon, Phan
>> Thiet - One Crab brand of fish sauce. I'm looking fprward to trying it
>> out.
>>
>> Paid $3.79 for a 24 fluid ounce bottle. This is a clear, whiskey color.
>> Not
>> like the thick, chunky fish sauce from my previous purchase.
>>
>> The guy at the store said the stuff I bought before (now he tells me)
>> wasn't
>> correct for noodles.
>>
>> Michael (piedmont)
>>

> Much better for what you are making. I like the Three Crab fish sauce. The
> main difference between that and the One Crab is that the One Crab is
> lighter a little less saltier and has a less complex taste.

Three Crabs rocks. It is the best I've tried yet. Tra Chang "Gold Label"
is supposed to be the very best. I'll be trying it when this bottle of
Three Crabs is used up.

Paul