Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mushrooms

Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. Bought two, used most of
them for dinner. I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes
and fished them out with a slotted spoon, to be lightly sauteed in
butter with a few homegrown very mild chiles (red and green), but no
garlic at wife's request. She said she wasn't in a garlic mood.
I've reserved the water to use tomorrow for cream of mushroom soup.
Waste not, want not.

I'll add a little finely minced red onion (I don't have any shallots),
and add them to the mushroom broth, and bring to a boil, then add a
little black pepper and salt. Then I'll dissolve some corn starch in
half&half, and cut up the two huge mushroom caps I saved very thinly.
I'll add the cream mixture and stir in to thicken, then add the
mushrooms and stir gently for a few minutes to allow them to cook. As
soon as my wife gets home for lunch, I'll ladle it into large bowls
and add a pat of room temp butter to the top, and another twist of the
peppermill. The soup will be accompanied only by sliced, toasted and
lightly buttered Italian bread.

Then I'll run the chocolate cake my wife made for the teachers for
parent/teacher conference night up to the school. It's a scratch
cake, with chocolate-Chambord frosting. When my son gets home from
school, off to camping at a state conservation area, because he
doesn't have school tomorrow, and I don't have to work because I
worked a double Sunday for a guy who traded for my Thurs eve shift.
YAY! I did the last teacher conference thing. My wife can do this
one while I'm building a campfire, setting up a tent, cooking brats,
and having a few delicious Schlafly Dry Hopped APAs. No work until
Sun morning.

Oh, check your local Walgreen's ad. Here they have Lindt truffle bars
2/$2 after in store coupon. Great with a tall glass or two of whole
milk.

--Bryan
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan[_6_] View Post
[...]

Keepin' it simple. Way to go.

If you have a yard, though, you may wish to wash the mushrooms over a pot and toss the water into your yard. You may find some nice little surprises next year (besides some anonymous critter crap).

I've said this before. Sorry if I'm being redundant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 8:02*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. *Bought two, used most of
> them for dinner. *I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes

May I please ask why?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. Bought two, used most of
> them for dinner. I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes

Boiled mushrooms. Why?

You have some silly-assed conception of food usage.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

squirtz wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:
>

>>Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. Bought two, used most of
>>them for dinner. I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes

> Boiled mushrooms. Why?
>
> You have some silly-assed conception of food usage.
>
> -sw

While i am not fond of the technique of simmering mushrooms in blanc a
champignons it is a valid technique. Now champignons au madere
(mushrooms in madeira) and marinated mushrooms i am quite fond of.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 9:14*pm, JL > wrote:
> squirtz wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> >>Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. *Bought two, used most of
> >>them for dinner. *I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes

> > Boiled mushrooms. *Why?

> > You have some silly-assed conception of food usage.

> > -sw

> While i am not fond of the technique of simmering mushrooms in blanc a
> champignons it is a valid technique. *Now champignons au madere
> (mushrooms in madeira) and marinated mushrooms i am quite fond of.

Parboiling them saved time, and I could get the whole lot into one
pan--with butter and mild chiles--after they got shrunken down. The
reserved "broth" made for excellent mushroom soup the next day.

> Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:13:02 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:

> On Oct 20, 8:02*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>> Aldi had button mushrooms on sale, $.69/8oz. *Bought two, used most of
>> them for dinner. *I sliced them, then boiled them for a few minutes

> May I please ask why?

i was wondering the same thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 05:23:12 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> Parboiling them saved time, and I could get the whole lot into one
> pan--with butter and mild chiles--after they got shrunken down.

The boiling removes flavor. The idea behind sauteeing them is to
concentrate the flavors.

I would expect somebody who's always ragging on people for the
flavor preferences to have more respect for his own food.

-sw

have mushrooms, now what? Todd Diabetic 2 03-02-2013 12:21 AM
mushrooms Somebody General Cooking 22 22-06-2012 05:39 AM
Mushrooms SpaghettiWestern General Cooking 17 08-12-2010 07:29 PM
brown button mushrooms apposed to white button mushrooms hahabogus[_3_] General Cooking 3 19-08-2009 06:36 PM