Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cuisinart V-slicer

I been looking for a cheapo mandoline for making daikon/carrot
matchsticks for banh mi sandwiches. I've done it with my chefs knife,
but that's a bit tedious. I was hoping to get a super benriner, but I
find myself spending too much money, lately. I need to reign in, a
bit. Looked at a couple V-slicers at our kitchen/gifts store, both
being Euro V-slicers of $40-50. I then saw a Cuisinart plastic
V-slicer at WallyWorld for only $20!! OK, I'm sure it's made in
China, but it looks exactly like the plastic German V-slicer that goes
for $50. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheapo?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 2:24*pm, notbob > wrote:
> I been looking for a cheapo mandoline for making daikon/carrot
> matchsticks for banh mi sandwiches. *I've done it with my chefs knife,
> but that's a bit tedious. *I was hoping to get a super benriner, but I
> find myself spending too much money, lately. *I need to reign in, a
> bit. *Looked at a couple V-slicers at our kitchen/gifts store, both
> being Euro V-slicers of $40-50. *I then saw a Cuisinart plastic
> V-slicer at WallyWorld for only $20!! *OK, I'm sure it's made in
> China, but it looks exactly like the plastic German V-slicer that goes
> for $50. *Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheapo?
>
> nb

Well for one...it was made in China and two...it's from Walmart. How
many more reasons do you need?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 5:27*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2:24*pm, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I been looking for a cheapo mandoline for making daikon/carrot
> > matchsticks for banh mi sandwiches. *I've done it with my chefs knife,
> > but that's a bit tedious. *I was hoping to get a super benriner, but I
> > find myself spending too much money, lately. *I need to reign in, a
> > bit. *Looked at a couple V-slicers at our kitchen/gifts store, both
> > being Euro V-slicers of $40-50. *I then saw a Cuisinart plastic
> > V-slicer at WallyWorld for only $20!! *OK, I'm sure it's made in
> > China, but it looks exactly like the plastic German V-slicer that goes
> > for $50. *Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheapo?

> > nb

> Well for one...it was made in China and two...it's from Walmart. How
> many more reasons do you need?

And it's a Cuisinart. (I'm still mad about that waffle maker. In
fact, I saw a sample of the same on display in some store, and ITS
heat setting lever was broken TOO.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:24:53 GMT in rec.food.cooking, notbob
> wrote,
>being Euro V-slicers of $40-50. I then saw a Cuisinart plastic
>V-slicer at WallyWorld for only $20!! OK, I'm sure it's made in
>China, but it looks exactly like the plastic German V-slicer that goes
>for $50. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the cheapo?

How much is the Oxo? Bow-tie guy liked it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-19, David Harmon > wrote:

> How much is the Oxo? Bow-tie guy liked it.

Then it's settled. If PBTM likes it, I'll never buy it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-20, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Good for small batches. The marinated carrot/diakon shouldn't sit
> around long anyway.

The website where I got my recipe from says about 4 wks,
refrigerated.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:37:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:24:53 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
>> I been looking for a cheapo mandoline for making daikon/carrot
>> matchsticks for banh mi sandwiches.

> This is what I use:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-22011-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B001UOLPMW>
>
> Good for small batches. The marinated carrot/diakon shouldn't sit
> around long anyway.
>
> -sw

so this thing really works, making real matchsticks? i'd make a carrot
salad more often if it was less trouble.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-20, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Uh, OK. But don't put them in my face after 2-3 days. They get limp
> and lose their necessary crunch.

We'll see, Steve. I estimate about a week before I have all the
ingredients to assemble a proper banh mi sandwich. That will make
them about 2 wks old. BTW, my Claussen whole dill pickles still have
plenty of crunch left and I have no clue as to how long they spent in
cold storage before making their way to my fridge, where I've had them
for at least 5 wks. <shrug>

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:37:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is what I use:
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-22011-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B001UOLPMW>
>>
>> Good for small batches. The marinated carrot/diakon shouldn't sit
>> around long anyway.
>>
>> -sw

> so this thing really works, making real matchsticks? i'd make a carrot
> salad more often if it was less trouble.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yeah, blake, they do work. I have a Zyliss one (at about half the price on
that link) that I use to julienne carrots for my split pea soup. Just have
to get used to engaging the first blade, instead of starting with the second
blade like a peeler. The carrots strips in my soup just disappear. No sign
of them when the soup is done. I bought it at a grocery store. Was Ukrop's,
now Martin's. Martin's is the same people who own y'all's Giants. Might
look there.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:10:50 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:08:19 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-22011-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B001UOLPMW>
>>>
>>> Good for small batches. The marinated carrot/diakon shouldn't sit
>>> around long anyway.

>> so this thing really works, making real matchsticks? i'd make a carrot
>> salad more often if it was less trouble.

> It's kinda difficult to do a whole carrot this way. Once the carrot
> gets shaved about half way through it starts to get bittle and tis
> tool is hard to use. It's hard to drag across carrots. Not so much
> with daikon or seeded cucumber.
>
> -sw

o.k., thanks.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:22:00 -0400, bolivar wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> news >
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:37:52 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> This is what I use:
>>>
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-22011-Julienne-Peeler/dp/B001UOLPMW>
>>>
>>> Good for small batches. The marinated carrot/diakon shouldn't sit
>>> around long anyway.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> so this thing really works, making real matchsticks? i'd make a carrot
>> salad more often if it was less trouble.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

> Yeah, blake, they do work. I have a Zyliss one (at about half the price on
> that link) that I use to julienne carrots for my split pea soup. Just have
> to get used to engaging the first blade, instead of starting with the second
> blade like a peeler. The carrots strips in my soup just disappear. No sign
> of them when the soup is done. I bought it at a grocery store. Was Ukrop's,
> now Martin's. Martin's is the same people who own y'all's Giants. Might
> look there.
>
> Boli

what i'm looking for is something that would produce more substantial
pieces than, say, the coarse side of a box grater.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-20, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Uh, OK. But don't put them in my face after 2-3 days. They get limp
> and lose their necessary crunch.

Jes tested 'em. So damn crunchy I gotta make sure I don't let 'em
migrate back beyond my last molar, while chewing, and impinge upon my
sens-a-tive geezer gums. Ouch!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:17:46 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-10-20, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Uh, OK. But don't put them in my face after 2-3 days. They get limp
>> and lose their necessary crunch.

> Jes tested 'em. So damn crunchy I gotta make sure I don't let 'em
> migrate back beyond my last molar, while chewing, and impinge upon my
> sens-a-tive geezer gums. Ouch!

-sw <clapping for you? shrug>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:46:48 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

> what i'm looking for is something that would produce more substantial
> pieces than, say, the coarse side of a box grater.

These are more substantial in that they're square ctswith no
rouch/rounded edges prone to squishyness.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:11:38 -0500, squirtz wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:46:48 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> what i'm looking for is something that would produce more substantial
>> pieces than, say, the coarse side of a box grater.

> These are more substantial in that they're square ctswith no
> rouch/rounded edges prone to squishyness.
>
> -sw

o.k., maybe i'll take a flyer on it. thanks.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:23:26 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 21:11:38 -0500, squirtz wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:46:48 -0400, blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> what i'm looking for is something that would produce more substantial
>>> pieces than, say, the coarse side of a box grater.

>> These are more substantial in that they're square ctswith no
>> rouch/rounded edges prone to squishyness.
>>
>> -sw

> o.k., maybe i'll take a flyer on it. thanks.

Note that my typing will be worse than normal as I'm using a 15
year old laptop computer with a keyboard that needs a good
cleaning.

-sw

Pickle Slicer Guv Bob Barbecue 3 10-12-2010 06:18 AM
Slicer, But For What ??? Mark Thorson General Cooking 6 24-02-2009 05:35 PM
Is This A Cheese Slicer ??? I Think Not !!! Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 07-01-2008 03:55 PM
Bread Slicer Rhonda Alterson Cooking Equipment 0 24-01-2005 01:58 AM
my godforsaken cuisinart slicer JLove98905 General Cooking 2 14-12-2004 04:05 AM