Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yummy faux chilie verde burritos

I have stumbled on something really good. I did not have time for a proper
chili verde so I cut up the pork into bite sized pieces and cooked in a
little olive oil until crisp and rendered of fat. Then I added a can of
Herdez salsa verde and cooked for 10 minutes. It was incredibly good. I
mean really tasty. I made a really awesome burrito with the pork mixture,
some cheese and some refried beans. So fast, so simple and so incredibly
good. I may never make a "proper" chili verde again. Total prep time 30
minutes most of which unattended. I think an enchilada is next.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 00:20:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I have stumbled on something really good. I did not have time for a proper
> chili verde so I cut up the pork into bite sized pieces and cooked in a
> little olive oil until crisp and rendered of fat. Then I added a can of
> Herdez salsa verde and cooked for 10 minutes. It was incredibly good. I
> mean really tasty. I made a really awesome burrito with the pork mixture,
> some cheese and some refried beans. So fast, so simple and so incredibly
> good. I may never make a "proper" chili verde again. Total prep time 30
> minutes most of which unattended. I think an enchilada is next.

Works for me! We love chile verde, but I don't make it at home... so
maybe I'll give your version a try one of these days.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>I have stumbled on something really good. I did not have time for a proper
>chili verde so I cut up the pork into bite sized pieces and cooked in a
>little olive oil until crisp and rendered of fat. Then I added a can of
>Herdez salsa verde and cooked for 10 minutes. It was incredibly good. I
>mean really tasty. I made a really awesome burrito with the pork mixture,
>some cheese and some refried beans. So fast, so simple and so incredibly
>good. I may never make a "proper" chili verde again. Total prep time 30
>minutes most of which unattended. I think an enchilada is next.
>
> Paul

IMHO enchiladas are a great tool for using up leftovers.

What do you need?
Leftovers
tortillas
a can or 2 of enchilada sauce (green or red)
Everything else is optional.
onion
sour cream
cheese
olives
etc. etc. etc.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> IMHO enchiladas are a great tool for using up leftovers.
>
> What do you need?
> Leftovers
> tortillas
> a can or 2 of enchilada sauce (green or red)
> Everything else is optional.
> onion
> sour cream
> cheese
> olives
> etc. etc. etc.
>
> Dimitri

Some of my favorite enchiladas have included leftover rice. Chicken,
sliced black olives, cheese, leftover rice, homemade enchilada sauce,
etc. make great enchiladas. I've also started to stack them instead of
roll'em.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:15:05 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >I have stumbled on something really good. I did not have time for a proper
> >chili verde so I cut up the pork into bite sized pieces and cooked in a
> >little olive oil until crisp and rendered of fat. Then I added a can of
> >Herdez salsa verde and cooked for 10 minutes. It was incredibly good. I
> >mean really tasty. I made a really awesome burrito with the pork mixture,
> >some cheese and some refried beans. So fast, so simple and so incredibly
> >good. I may never make a "proper" chili verde again. Total prep time 30
> >minutes most of which unattended. I think an enchilada is next.
> >
> > Paul

> IMHO enchiladas are a great tool for using up leftovers.
>
> What do you need?
> Leftovers
> tortillas
> a can or 2 of enchilada sauce (green or red)
> Everything else is optional.
> onion
> sour cream
> cheese
> olives
> etc. etc. etc.

Some people, like me, have to made the main ingredient in enchiladas
because we don't cook for an army when there's only two of us.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 19, 12:20 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> I have stumbled on something really good. I did not have time for a proper
> chili verde so I cut up the pork into bite sized pieces and cooked in a
> little olive oil until crisp and rendered of fat. Then I added a can of
> Herdez salsa verde and cooked for 10 minutes. It was incredibly good......

I may never make a "proper" chili verde again. Total prep time 30
> minutes most of which unattended. I think an enchilada is next.

There's nothing wrong with Herdez salsa verde, imho. I make my own
green sauce when I have some specific variation in mind but otherwise
the little cans are a time and effort saver. Another super simple use
is this: chicken pieces in a baking dish, mix together about equal
amounts of salsa verde and sour cream. Cover the chicken with that.
Bake in a medium oven until chicken is done. Better than something
that simple should be. -aem