Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aldi milk dilemma

Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
and not toss as much of it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

Buy the gallon. Make chocolate or butterscotch pudding, custard or
pumpkin pie, or any other recipes that call for a lot of milk.
You can probably also freeze some of it in cup or pint containers to use
in cooking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:26*am, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. *Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. *But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. *So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

Do you know anyone else in the same boat? Maybe three of your
neighbors only need a quart at a time.

I've been trying to apply this principle, to no avail so far. There's
an herb and spice company in SF that has really good prices, but the
minimum quantity is a pound. By the time I used a pound of anything,
it would have the flavor potential of wheat straw. But I figure if I
could split pounds of oregano, marjoram, cumin, etc four ways I
wouldn't be wasting anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2010 1:26 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop& Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

Storage life depends on how warm it gets. We were constantly throwing
out stuff with our old fridge that didn't have uniform temperature in
the box. If you tried to turn the temp down some areas would freeze. I
keep the new one really cold and milk and leftovers last a really long
time now (easily 1.5~2 weeks on an open gallon of milk).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ocal>,
"J. Clarke" > wrote:

> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
tossing.

Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
McQuown.

Or you could buy the gallon and give half to a neighbor. <shrug>

If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2010 1:36 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In omain.local>,
> "J. > wrote:
>
>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop& Shop's
>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>> and not toss as much of it?

> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
> tossing.
>
> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
> McQuown.
>
> Or you could buy the gallon and give half to a neighbor.<shrug>
>
> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.

We freeze milk. We buy skim milk only. DH hates to pay almost as much
for a half as for a gallon, so we transfer it to a freezable container
and freeze half. I don't know how this would work with milk that had a
fat content, but it's perfectly fine for skim.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 12:57*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
> > Well, the new Aldi opened. *Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> > only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> > quarts. *But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. *So,
> > do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> > and not toss as much of it?

> Buy the gallon. *Make chocolate or butterscotch pudding, custard or
> pumpkin pie, or any other recipes that call for a lot of milk.
> You can probably also freeze some of it in cup or pint containers to use
> in cooking.

We just stopped at Aldi to get a gallon of milk. Theirs is cheaper
than the supermarket, and tastes like it has more fat. I wonder how
standardized whole milk really is. Anyway, the Aldi milk tastes a lot
better. I'm going to see if the chocolate monster (wife) has cleaned
us out of chocolate. A square of chocolate and a big glass of milk
sounds wonderful.

> gloria p

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 1:26*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. *Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. *But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. *So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

What I do is buy the gallon, freeze 2 or 3 quarts in Rubbermaid
bottles, and I never run out of milk, at least to the point of having
to make a special stop or run.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

Use the extra to make cheese, yogurt, or just freeze it.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 1:38*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> We freeze milk. We buy skim milk only. DH hates to pay almost as much
> for a half as for a gallon, so we transfer it to a freezable container
> and freeze half. I don't know how this would work with milk that had a
> fat content, but it's perfectly fine for skim.
>

> Janet Wilder

Whole milk freezes with no problem. The trick is to shake it
vigorously after it has thawed to redistribute the fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 12:26*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. *Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. *But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. *So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

The milk I buy from a large regional dairy usually has a "use by" date
2 to 2 1/2 weeks in the future when I buy it. It should certainly
last 2 weeks if it has been consistently properly refrigerated.
Select your milk from the back of the shelf where it stays colder
while it sits there. Also, the shelves are loaded from the back,
usually, so the newer containers are in the back. (Don't store it in
the door of your fridge, where it gets warm faster every time the door
is opened - put it towards the back on a regular shelf.) One of the
other local dairies' milk always went bad before 5 days was up, no
matter if the date said 10 days....there was obviously a refrigeration
problem somewhere along the delivery line.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Oct 15, 1:38 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>

>> We freeze milk. We buy skim milk only. DH hates to pay almost as
>> much
>> for a half as for a gallon, so we transfer it to a freezable
>> container and freeze half. I don't know how this would work with
>> milk that had a fat content, but it's perfectly fine for skim.
>>

>> Janet Wilder
>>

> Whole milk freezes with no problem. The trick is to shake it
> vigorously after it has thawed to redistribute the fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> On Oct 15, 1:38 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>

>> We freeze milk. We buy skim milk only. DH hates to pay almost as
>> much
>> for a half as for a gallon, so we transfer it to a freezable
>> container and freeze half. I don't know how this would work with
>> milk that had a fat content, but it's perfectly fine for skim.
>>

>> Janet Wilder
>>

> Whole milk freezes with no problem. The trick is to shake it
> vigorously after it has thawed to redistribute the fat.

Agreed. Half-and-half doesn't freeze well, though - the cream becomes
lumpy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

We use very little milk. I know I could buy it cheaper by the gallon, but I
tend to buy single serve bottles. This last time I bought shelf stable
cartons. They are still not opened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2010 3:04 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Oct 15, 1:26 pm, "J. > wrote:
>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop& Shop's
>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>> and not toss as much of it?

> What I do is buy the gallon, freeze 2 or 3 quarts in Rubbermaid
> bottles, and I never run out of milk, at least to the point of having
> to make a special stop or run.

It works well with skim milk because we do it, but I'm wondering what it
does to milk with butter fat

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"J. Clarke" > wrote in message
in.local...
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

I don't drink milk so I can give a personal opinion, but, according to my
grandson, Aldi's milk does not taste as good as Stop & Shop. We only
bought it one time for that reason. In cooking with it, you'd probably not
notice so much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On 10/15/2010 3:04 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> > On Oct 15, 1:26 pm, "J. > wrote:
> >> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> >> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop& Shop's
> >> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> >> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> >> and not toss as much of it?

> > What I do is buy the gallon, freeze 2 or 3 quarts in Rubbermaid
> > bottles, and I never run out of milk, at least to the point of having
> > to make a special stop or run.
> >

> It works well with skim milk because we do it, but I'm wondering what it
> does to milk with butter fat

Nothing. We've frozen whole milk and it's been fine. Needs a shake on
thawing, and that's it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 3:42*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> That's why I buy small quantities as needed. *I never drink the stuff and
> daughter rarely ever does. *I buy powdered milk which I use on occasion for
> macaroni and cheese. *

Ewww. I thought that only desperately poor folks bought powdered
milk.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:17*pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits >
wrote:
> In article om>,
> *Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
> > We freeze milk. We buy skim milk only. DH hates to pay almost as much
> > for a half as for a gallon, so we transfer it to a freezable container
> > and freeze half. I don't know how this would work with milk that had a
> > fat content, but it's perfectly fine for skim.

> * *It works for milk with fat as well, but needs to be thawed slowly in
> the refrigerator to taste/feel right for drinking.

There's absolutely no question that thawed frozen milk is going to be
WAY better than reconstituted from powdered or (ick) canned milk. The
only milk problem we have around here is running out. A gallon of
whole milk can get consumed in two days, and seldom lasts longer than
four (I write as I take a sip of cafe au lait).

> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/15/2010 10:26 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop& Shop's
> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> and not toss as much of it?

Freeze part of it in one or two cup containers, works fine for cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 10:48*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "J. Clarke" > wrote in message
>
> in.local...
>
> > Well, the new Aldi opened. *Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
> > only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
> > quarts. *But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. *So,
> > do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
> > and not toss as much of it?

> I don't drink milk so I can give a personal opinion, but, according to my
> grandson, Aldi's milk does not taste as good as Stop & Shop. * We only
> bought it one time for that reason. *In cooking with it, you'd probably not
> notice so much.

The milk in St. Louis Aldi stores is excellent, and my family are huge
milk drinkers. Well, not huge as in large. My wife and son are very
thin, and I'm only about 15-20% over my ideal, though part of that is
probably because I drink too darned much milk.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 8:08*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Oct 16, 3:42*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > That's why I buy small quantities as needed. *I never drink the stuff and
> > daughter rarely ever does. *I buy powdered milk which I use on occasion for
> > macaroni and cheese. *

> Ewww. *I thought that only desperately poor folks bought powdered
> milk.
>
> --Bryan

Or backpackers looking to save weight.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article ocal>,
> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>
>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>> and not toss as much of it?

> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
> tossing.
>
> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
> McQuown.

I do freeze milk. I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that much
milk. But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to freeze.
Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save the empty quart
containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze it. Presto, chango

> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.

Yes, to toss it out is a waste. And I hate wasting food.

We bought two acorn squashes last weekend. One of them got moldy and soft
in a matter of days. What's wrong with this picture? Winter squash is
supposed to last for a very long time! It was stored in a cool dry place,
and the other squash was just fine. I hated having to throw one out. What
a waste!

> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:26:13 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
>
>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>> and not toss as much of it?

>You make chocolate milk.

Or custard, or rice pudding, or tapioca, or try your hand at ricotta or
mozzarella cheese.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LG LG is offline

jmcquown wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article ocal>,
>> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
>>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>>> and not toss as much of it?

>> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
>> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
>> tossing.
>>
>> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
>> McQuown.
>>

> I do freeze milk. I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that
> much milk. But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to
> freeze. Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save
> the empty quart containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze
> it. Presto, chango
>> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
>> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.
>>

> Yes, to toss it out is a waste. And I hate wasting food.
>
> We bought two acorn squashes last weekend. One of them got moldy and
> soft in a matter of days. What's wrong with this picture? Winter
> squash is supposed to last for a very long time! It was stored in a
> cool dry place, and the other squash was just fine. I hated having to
> throw one out. What a waste!
>
>> --
>> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> Jill

Who is "we"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 4:24*pm, LG > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> >> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
> >> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
> >> tossing.

> >> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. *Or maybe it's Jill
> >> McQuown.

> > I do freeze milk. *I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that
> > much milk. *But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to
> > freeze. Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save
> > the empty quart containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze
> > it. *Presto, chango
> >> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
> >> it is wasteful and a false economy. *JMTCW.

> > Yes, to toss it out is a waste. *And I hate wasting food.

> > We bought two acorn squashes last weekend. *One of them got moldy and
> > soft in a matter of days. *What's wrong with this picture? *Winter
> > squash is supposed to last for a very long time! *It was stored in a
> > cool dry place, and the other squash was just fine. *I hated having to
> > throw one out. *What a waste!

> >> --
> >> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> > Jill

> Who is "we"?

The unamused one -- Queen Victoria.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:57:08 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> wrote,
>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article ocal>,
>> "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the new Aldi opened. Needed a quart of milk, so went by, they
>>> only have gallons but their gallons are cheaper than Stop & Shop's
>>> quarts. But I don't generally use up a quart before it goes bad. So,
>>> do a save a few cents and toss a lot more milk, or do I spend the extra
>>> and not toss as much of it?

>> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
>> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
>> tossing.
>>
>> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
>> McQuown.
>>

>I do freeze milk. I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that much
>milk. But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to freeze.
>Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save the empty quart
>containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze it. Presto, chango
>
>> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
>> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.
>>

>Yes, to toss it out is a waste. And I hate wasting food.

Better than wasting money, though. Did you miss the part where Clarke
said the gallon costs less than the quart?

What's false economy is: using the extra milk to make yogurt, if you
didn't want any yogurt. Spending time washing bottles and freezing
milk, if your time, the wash water, and the freezer space happen to be
all worth more to you than the milk you might need in the distant
future. False economy is if the gallon cost a bit more than the quart
but you thought you could make up for it with the above milk hoarding
tricks. Throwing the excess away costs essentially nothing.

The waste is coming from whatever Stop & Shop is doing that makes their
quarts more expensive; so, don't encourage them to keep doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:57:08 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> > wrote,
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
>>> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
>>> tossing.
>>>
>>> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
>>> McQuown.
>>>

>> I do freeze milk. I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that much
>> milk. But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to freeze.
>> Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save the empty quart
>> containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze it. Presto, chango
>>
>>> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
>>> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.
>>>

>> Yes, to toss it out is a waste. And I hate wasting food.

> Better than wasting money, though. Did you miss the part where Clarke
> said the gallon costs less than the quart?
>
> What's false economy is: using the extra milk to make yogurt, if you
> didn't want any yogurt. Spending time washing bottles and freezing
> milk, if your time, the wash water, and the freezer space happen to be
> all worth more to you than the milk you might need in the distant
> future. False economy is if the gallon cost a bit more than the quart
> but you thought you could make up for it with the above milk hoarding
> tricks. Throwing the excess away costs essentially nothing.
>
> The waste is coming from whatever Stop & Shop is doing that makes their
> quarts more expensive; so, don't encourage them to keep doing it.

Hmmm. Belated thought, but what impact does this have on dairy
farmers? Probably nothing good.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 9:31*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> David Harmon wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:57:08 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> > > wrote,

> >> I do freeze milk. *I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that much
> >> milk. *But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to freeze.
> >> Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save the empty quart
> >> containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze it. *Presto, chango

> >> Yes, to toss it out is a waste. *And I hate wasting food.

> > Better than wasting money, though. *Did you miss the part where Clarke
> > said the gallon costs less than the quart?

> > What's false economy is: using the extra milk to make yogurt, if you
> > didn't want any yogurt. *Spending time washing bottles and freezing
> > milk, if your time, the wash water, and the freezer space happen to be
> > all worth more to you than the milk you might need in the distant
> > future. *False economy is if the gallon cost a bit more than the quart
> > but you thought you could make up for it with the above milk hoarding
> > tricks. *Throwing the excess away costs essentially nothing.

> > The waste is coming from whatever Stop & Shop is doing that makes their
> > quarts more expensive; so, don't encourage them to keep doing it.

> Hmmm. *Belated thought, but what impact does this have on dairy
> farmers? *Probably nothing good.

Dairy farmers sell milk -- they don't get one price for milk destined
for Stop&Shop and a lower price for milk destined for Aldi's.

Stop&Shop's overhead is much higher for everything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote

>> > The waste is coming from whatever Stop & Shop is doing that makes their
>> > quarts more expensive; so, don't encourage them to keep doing it.

>> Hmmm. Belated thought, but what impact does this have on dairy
>> farmers? Probably nothing good.
>>

> Dairy farmers sell milk -- they don't get one price for milk destined
> for Stop&Shop and a lower price for milk destined for Aldi's.
>
> Stop&Shop's overhead is much higher for everything.

Does anyone really understand the milk prices and subsidies? The farmers
are always complaining, yet they continue to farm rather than sell out and
build condos or a strip mall. Whatever happened to supply and demand and
free markets?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
m...
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 11:57:08 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "jmcquown"
> > wrote,
>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> I suppose you could actually do the math and figure which is more
>>> economical -- you could make some guesstimates about how much you're
>>> tossing.
>>>
>>> Christine Dabney, I believe, freezes extra milk. Or maybe it's Jill
>>> McQuown.
>>>

>>I do freeze milk. I try to buy quarts because I don't use all that much
>>milk. But when I have to buy a half a gallon it's easy enough to freeze.
>>Buy some cheap plastic bottles or (better yet!) wash & save the empty
>>quart
>>containers and pour half the milk into that and freeze it. Presto, chango
>>
>>> If it were me, I'd probably pay more for the quart you'll use; to toss
>>> it is wasteful and a false economy. JMTCW.
>>>

>>Yes, to toss it out is a waste. And I hate wasting food.

> Better than wasting money, though. Did you miss the part where Clarke
> said the gallon costs less than the quart?

No, I didn't miss it. And the gallon doesn't cost less then the quart where
I live. But even if I bought gallons I'd freeze it.

> What's false economy is: using the extra milk to make yogurt, if you
> didn't want any yogurt.

Good thing I don't like yogurt, then, because I don't like it, don't make
it, don't eat it

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Enjoy some cream of potato soup or make some vinegar cheese to grate
over anything!

This is the rough recipe
2 quarts whole milk
1/4 cup vinegar
add salt if youwant to or other herbs

Directions:Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
1 Heat the milk to 185, or close to boiling. 2 Add vinegar
slowly,while continuosly stirring. The milk will start to seperate
into curds and whey. 3 When fully separated, pour the mixture into a
colander lined with cheesecloth.If you desire to keep the whey for
other uses be sure to put a large bowl under colander. 4 Tie the
corners of the cheesecloth together and hang it where it can drip
safely. 5 When it stops dripping you can cube it, shred it, or
marinate it in olive oil,wine,soy sauce etc. Or just eat it plain!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:59:21 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote,
>Does anyone really understand the milk prices and subsidies? The farmers
>are always complaining, yet they continue to farm rather than sell out and
>build condos or a strip mall.

When I was a kid we lived near the Rose Bud Dairy, complete with cow
lot, milking barn, and retail store. It's condos and a strip mall now.
There is a post office where the store was.

>Whatever happened to supply and demand and free markets?

They didn't survive the FDR administration.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 11:59*am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "spamtrap1888" > wrote

> >> Hmmm. *Belated thought, but what impact does this have on dairy
> >> farmers? *Probably nothing good.

> > Dairy farmers sell milk -- they don't get one price for milk destined
> > for Stop&Shop and a lower price for milk destined for Aldi's.

> > Stop&Shop's overhead is much higher for everything.

> Does anyone really understand the milk prices and subsidies? *The farmers
> are always complaining, yet they continue to farm rather than sell out and
> build condos or a strip mall. *Whatever happened to supply and demand and
> free markets?

Lots of dairy farmers have gotten out of the business. The remainder
is over 55, and it's kind of hard for a 55 year old to switch to a new
occupation. Not to mention that after doing something your whole life,
it's not easy to discard it and start something new. Nor can you live
the rest of your life on the profits from selling your dairy. There
should be more demand for milk than ever -- people eat yogurt every
day, people still drink fluid milk: now there's a choice of four
butterfat levels, they still eat ice cream and cheese -- it's hard to
believe you can't make a living at it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 20, 10:13*am, David Harmon > wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:59:21 -0400 in rec.food.cooking, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote,
>
> >Does anyone really understand the milk prices and subsidies? *The farmers
> >are always complaining, yet they continue to farm rather than sell out and
> >build condos or a strip mall. *

> When I was a kid we lived near the Rose Bud Dairy, complete with cow
> lot, milking barn, and retail store. *It's condos and a strip mall now.
> There is a post office where the store was.
>
> >Whatever happened to supply and demand and free markets?

> They didn't survive the FDR administration.

From what I've read, dairy farmers blame traders on the Chicago
Mercantile Exchange for manipulating the price of cheddar cheese, to
which the price they get for milk is de facto pegged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote

> Lots of dairy farmers have gotten out of the business. The remainder
> is over 55, and it's kind of hard for a 55 year old to switch to a new
> occupation. Not to mention that after doing something your whole life,
> it's not easy to discard it and start something new. Nor can you live
> the rest of your life on the profits from selling your dairy. There
> should be more demand for milk than ever -- people eat yogurt every
> day, people still drink fluid milk: now there's a choice of four
> butterfat levels, they still eat ice cream and cheese -- it's hard to
> believe you can't make a living at it.

Things are slow at the buggy whip factory too.

These guys are doing something about it and seem to be successful so far.
http://www.thefarmerscow.com/
I went to the Fort Hill farm last Sunday for ice cream. I know that some
of the milk goes to Cabot also.