Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default very fine teeth grating carrot

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:37:23 +0100, "john reed"
> wrote:

> Kitchen craft make a small stainless steel flat grater (with those
> supposedly 'non clogging' raised teeth; like a carpenters file).
>
> They exist in four different grades of teeth. I'm interested in buying one
> which will grate raw carrot as *finely* as possible without the grater
> clogging up in use.
>
> They say the medium is suitable for cheese,chocolate and garlic and the fine
> for chocolate and parmesan. So no mention of carrot.
>
> Does anyone have experience of these particular graters? They are the most
> reasonable priced ones i have seen with these raised straight teeth.

Is it too hard to include a picture link so we know exactly what
you're talking about?

> My instinct would be to go for the fine, since i want as fine as possible
> end result with the carrots, but i know from previous experience many
> graters with very fine teeth just clog up too easily when used grating
> carrot.
>
> So if anyones has been using these particular flat graters, is it the
> 'medium' or 'fine' i should best go for? Thanks for advice.

I've grated carrot on my microplane. You won't grate many carrots
very quickly - but half a carrot, grated, will *look* like a lot more.
I don't know what size mine is, but it zests and grates (with pictures
of parmesan and ginger on the cover).

If Kitchen Craft grater you're talking about is the mini-version of a
regular shredder and what you're talking about has tiny holes, go for
the smallest one you can find. I have a couple of those and they
don't ever clog.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.