Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any ideas for using Poblano peppers

"The Cook" > wrote in message
>I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> --
> Susan N.

Chilerelleno's.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/tech...ilerelleno.htm

Use the recipe as a base for modification.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
>I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> --
> Susan N.

Chilerelleno's.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/tech...ilerelleno.htm

Use the recipe as a base for modification.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 12, 12:08*pm, The Cook > wrote:
> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

chili rellenos......yum

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chile-...os/Detail.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 2:08 PM, The Cook wrote:
> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

I've made chiles rellanos from fresh ones myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:20:00 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

> "The Cook" > wrote in message
> >I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> > Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> > --
> > Susan N.
> >

> Chilerelleno's.
>
> http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/tech...ilerelleno.htm
>
> Use the recipe as a base for modification.

Here's one with pictures.
http://www.macheesmo.com/2009/07/pob...hile-rellenos/

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> "The Cook" > wrote in message
> >I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> > Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> > --
> > Susan N.
> >

> Chilerelleno's.
>
> http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/tech...ilerelleno.htm
>
> Use the recipe as a base for modification.

I don't like to fry, so this stuffed pepper recipe caught my eye. I
imagine it could be done indoors on a grill or even in a cast iron
pan. I also don't see why you should be confined to the cheeses
mentioned.

4-Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/index.html

Poblano peppers are great for stuffing, as you can fit quite a lot of
cheese inside, so consider the size of your poblano before
preparation. We chose medium sized poblanos and were able to fit
about 8 ounces of cheese inside, which will certainly fill you up.

Ingredients

2 medium sized Poblano peppers, stemmed and cored
2 ounces cream cheese
2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
2 ounces Parmesan cheese

Cooking Directions

1. In a mixing bowl combine all of your cheeses and mix well.
2. Stuff the poblano pepper with your cheese mixture.
3. Preheat grill to medium heat.
4. Wrap poblanos in tinfoil and grill 6-8 minutes.

Serve.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:08:39 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Because rellenos are restaurant food for me, I used "stuffed chili
poblano -Rellenos" to Google and came up with some interesting
recipes. This one is a keeper AFAIC.

<http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cilantro-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts-with-Poblano-Chile-Sauce-15267>

Cilantro-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Poblano Chile Sauce
Gourmet | August 1998

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
2 cups poblano chile sauce

preparation

Preheat broiler and lightly brush a shallow baking pan with some oil.
Finely chop garlic and in a small bowl stir together with cilantro and
salt. Pat chicken dry and trim any fat.

To form a pocket in chicken for cilantro filling: Put a chicken breast
half on a cutting board and, beginning in middle of 1 side of breast
half, horizontally insert a sharp thin knife three fourths of the way
through center, moving knife in a fanning motion to create a pocket.
(Opening will only be about 1 inch wide.) Make pockets in remaining
chicken breast halves in same manner. Put about 1/2 tablespoon filling
into each pocket and with finger spread evenly. Transfer chicken to
baking pan and brush with remaining oil. Season chicken with salt and
pepper and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat 7 minutes. Turn chicken over
and broil until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.

Serve chicken with sauce.

Poblano Chile Sauce
Gourmet | August 1998

This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients

3/4 pound fresh poblano chiles (4 to 6)
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup chicken broth (8 fluid ounces)

Preparation

Lay whole peppers on their sides on racks of gas stove burners
(preferably 1 to a burner) and turn flame on high. Roast peppers,
turning them, until skins are blistered and have brown patches, 3 to 6
minutes. (Alternatively, peppers may be roasted in same manner on
rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler about 2 inches from
heat.) Transfer peppers to a bowl and let stand, covered, until cool
enough to handle. Peel peppers (wear rubber gloves when handling
chiles). Cut off tops and discard seeds and ribs. Chop peppers.
Peppers may be prepared 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Chop garlic and chop enough onion to measure 1 cup. In a nonstick
skillet cook garlic and onion in oil over moderately low heat,
stirring, until softened. Skim fat from broth. Stir in broth and
peppers and simmer 1 minute. In a blender puree mixture until
completely smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and season
with salt.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 3:08*pm, The Cook > wrote:
> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

I like to slice them on a tossed salad with a lemon vinaigrette.
Balsamic would probably be good, too. Or lime.

Here's a good one, with either poblanos or jalapenos:

lettuce
cilantro, if you're so inclined
thinly sliced onion or scallion
cucumber, sliced or cubed
tomato, sliced or cubed
shrimp
avocado, sliced or cubed
peppers, sliced
Toss with lime vinaigrette
salt and pepper to taste

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook > wrote:

> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Here is a recipe for poblanos rellenos by Zarela Martínez, from her
_Food from My Heart_ which I posted before.

Victor

Poblanos Rellenos
Stuffed Poblano Chiles

6 large poblano chiles
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup (1 stick; 1/4 pound) unsalted butter
1 medium-size onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, sliced
1/2 cup pitted prunes, coarsely diced
1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely diced
1/2 cup dried peaches, coarsely diced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground true (Ceylon) cinnamon, preferably freshly ground
in a spice grinder, or 1/2 teaspoon U.S. "cinnamon"
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Salt to taste
Salsa de Tomate Asado (recipe follows)

Preheat the oven to 500°F.

Make a small (1 to 1 1/2 inches long) lengthwise slit in each chile.
Pour the oil into a large, heavy skillet to a depth of about 1/2 inch
and heat over high heat until very hot, but not quite smoking. Fry the
chiles, two at a time, turning once or twice, until they puff up and
take on an olive-beige color. Remove from the pan as they are done.
Carefully peel the chiles under cold running water. Very gently pull
out the seeds through the slit in each chile, being sure not to tear the
flesh. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until very hot and
fragrant. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
Add the olives and dried fruit and cook, stirring, another 3 minutes.
Add the spices and chicken and cook, stirring, to combine, for 2 minutes
or more. Season with salt.

Carefully fill the chiles with the mixture through the slit in each.
Bake on a greased baking sheet or shallow pan for 7 minutes.

Spoon the tomato sauce onto individual plates or a large serving platter
and arrange the chiles on top.

Yield: 6 servings

Salsa de Tomate Asada
Roasted tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 medium size-onion, unpeeled, halved crosswise
3 to 4 large ripe, red tomatoes (about 2 3/4 pounds total)
Salt

Cook down the cream in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat until
reduced by about a third. Set aside.

Heat a heavy cast-iron griddle or skillet over high heat until a drop of
water sizzles on contact. Roast the unpeeled garlic cloves and onion,
turning several times, until the garlic is dark on all sides and
somewhat softened and the onion is partly blackened and fragrant. Set
aside. Roast the tomatoes in the same way, turning several times, until
blistered on all sides. Let cool until just cool enough to handle.
Peel the garlic cloves and place in blender. Peel the onion, rubbing
away any charred bits, and add to the garlic. Peel the tomatoes directly
over the blender so as not to lose any juice and add to the garlic and
onion. Puree on medium speed until smooth. Add the cream and process
until blended. Season with salt.

Can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. I
don't recommend freezing.

Yield: About 4 cups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
>> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Poblanos make damn fine rellenos. When you go to a restaurant and ask what
kind of peppers they use for their rellenos, they look at you like you just
asked them how many light years to Alpha Centauri C127R.

Of the restaurant rellenos I have eaten, poblanos are at the top.

Period.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
>Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

This is one of my favorite ways to serve poblanos.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chile Poblano Rajas

mexican, vegetables

4 medium, fresh chiles poblanos
roasted and peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion; sliced
1 cup fresh corn kernels; or canned drained
2 cloves garlic; peeled, minced
2/3 cup crema, or sour cream
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs, thyme, oregano; and cumin
1/2 teaspoon Salt; or to taste

Roast chiles in 400* oven Remove chiles to a bag to steam or keep
under a tea towel until cool.
Stem, peel and seed the roasted chiles. If you want a milder chile
remove the veins.
Slice chiles lengthwise into long strips.

Heat the oil in a heavy sauté pan over medium heat and fry the onions
until they brown, add the minced garlic the last few minutes before
the onions are done.
Stir in the chile strips, corn and cook 2 minutes.

Add the creama, herbs, and simmer to heat crema or sour cream.

Notes: koko

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 10/11/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 8:41 PM, koko wrote:
<snip>

> Hey girl, you been back for a while and I missed seeing your posts?
> Nice to see you again.
>
> koko
> --

Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy with
school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard classes this term.

--
Currently reading: Batman Year Two: The Reaper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:55:12 -0400, ravenlynne >
wrote:

>On 10/12/2010 8:41 PM, koko wrote:
><snip>
>
>> Hey girl, you been back for a while and I missed seeing your posts?
>> Nice to see you again.
>>
>> koko
>> --

>Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy with
>school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard classes this term.

Hope you get to pop in from time to time. I wish you the best with
your classes.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com
updated 10/11/10
Watkins natural spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy with
> school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard classes this term.

Good luck honey. It's hard to be in school with so many young 'uns in
the house! Are you working too?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 11:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:55:12 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy with
>> school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard classes this term.

> Good luck honey. It's hard to be in school with so many young 'uns in
> the house! Are you working too?

No but I need to be soon...My husband is getting out of the Navy in May.

--
Currently reading: Batman Year Two: The Reaper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:18:24 -0400, ravenlynne >
wrote:

> On 10/12/2010 11:24 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:55:12 -0400, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy with
> >> school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard classes this term.

> > Good luck honey. It's hard to be in school with so many young 'uns in
> > the house! Are you working too?
> >

> No but I need to be soon...My husband is getting out of the Navy in May.

Congratulations to your husband and good luck to you! Hitting the
books AND the employment line while the children are so young is a
tall order.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 11:24 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:55:12 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello...I just popped in this week to see what's going on..I"m busy
>>> with school and don't have a lot of time to post. Hard hard
>>> classes this term.

>> Good luck honey. It's hard to be in school with so many young 'uns
>> in the house! Are you working too?
>>

> No but I need to be soon...My husband is getting out of the Navy in
> May.

Hey! Nice to see you ... hope you get those classes behind you soon.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> No but I need to be soon...My husband is getting out of the Navy in May.

> Congratulations to your husband and good luck to you! Hitting the
> books AND the employment line while the children are so young is a
> tall order.

Yeah, I'm a bit anxious about it...I haven't had to work in 7 years and
don't know wha Ill find.

--
Currently reading: Batman Year Two: The Reaper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne > wrote in -
september.org:

>>> No but I need to be soon...My husband is getting out of the Navy in May.

>> Congratulations to your husband and good luck to you! Hitting the
>> books AND the employment line while the children are so young is a
>> tall order.
>>

> Yeah, I'm a bit anxious about it...I haven't had to work in 7 years and
> don't know wha Ill find.

Good to see you again!!

Looks like you and the 'old man' have some huge changes coming. How many
years in has it been for him now?

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/13/2010 9:14 AM, Aussie wrote:
> > wrote in -
> september.org:

>>> Congratulations to your husband and good luck to you! Hitting the
>>> books AND the employment line while the children are so young is a
>>> tall order.
>>>

>> Yeah, I'm a bit anxious about it...I haven't had to work in 7 years and
>> don't know wha Ill find.
>>

> Good to see you again!!
>
> Looks like you and the 'old man' have some huge changes coming. How many
> years in has it been for him now?

Too many!

--
Currently reading: Batman Year Two: The Reaper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2010 3:08 PM, The Cook wrote:
> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Here is Jack Schidt's recipe for the chiles he made for
the 2001 Vermont cook-in. You can vary the ingredients to
suit yourself. He kind of made this up on the fly. It's
really good.

JACK SCHIDT’S STUFFED CHILES

I won’t call these rellenos because they’re not fried and I won’t call
them wolf turds because I used poblanos instead of jalapenos.

fresh poblano chiles for some
fresh cubanelle chiles for others

stuffed with:
diced pork loin (I grilled up some pork tenderloins previously)
ancho chile powder
diced garlic
chopped white onion
diced granny smith apple
allspice
cinnamon
mex oregano
salt
pepper
smoked mozzarella (you knew there hadda be cheese in there someplace, no?)

I started out grilling these at the cook-in, but soon realized there
should be a cover over them as well, so I transferred them to the oven.
At home I would have used my kamado, which is basically an oven when
it’s closed. Funny thing, when we tasted these, we found that some
poblanos were hot, much hotter than the 3 on the scoville scale that
they’re touted as having. The cubanelles were, of course, as mild as usual.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
>Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 12, 3:08*pm, The Cook > wrote:
> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> --
> Susan N.

It is late in the season and my poblanos are finally in, but small.
Rellenos is the obvious, but I've saved cornnhusks in the freezer all
summer - I'm thinking poblanos rellenos tamales.

Or, as I do when the garden doesn't conform to MY personal schedule,
roast (or maybe not) and then into a jar of hot vinegar with some
friends. Then figure what to do with it later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default NEW IDEA

"The Cook" > wrote in message
>I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.
> --
> Susan N.

Rajas con crema.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...on-Crema-14148

Delightful stuff...

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:44:08 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
>> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

> I make a cream of poblano soup, use them for rajas, saute with onions
>for quesadillas or in eggs, use them in enchiladas, they have gone into
>a tortilla soup or two I've made. They are great roasted and peeled and
>cooked with onions, summer squash with some oregano and sprinkled with
>some Mexican cheese. You can stuff them or use them for chiles rellenos
>(either individually or in a casserole). They are wonderful in
>breakfast casseroles. I roast, peel, slice and freeze them for use
>later in the year as well.
>
>Regards,
>Ranee @ Arabian Knits

I found the recipe for the Poblano soup on your blog. It looks great.
I think I have all of the ingredients on hand and will try it, maybe
tonight.

If we really like it I may try freezing some. Freeze before adding
cream and do that when reheating. I'm cooking for 2 but like to keep
lots of thing in the freezer.

I will be back to you blog looking for more food ideas.

Thanks.
--
Susan N.